A Guide to Applying US Med School with a Foreign Bachelor Degree

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Thank you for creating this thread! Can you please send me your list as well?

TIA!

I believe the list is in the post. Look for a link at the end of my post.

Your post has brought my stress level down so much because I literally thought I was the only one in that situation. I have so many additional questions which I am sure you would know the answer to. So my situation: I am also a US citizen, born and brought up in the US. I did one year at the University of Texas at Austin and then after realizing I needed to get out and really experience the world (and many other reasons), I decided to do my bachelors degree in Biochemical Engineering at KU Leuven in Belgium. I know that on your post the schools in your link that are marked WES accept foreign diplomas, but can I apply for the MD programs that want "1 year in the US" since I did one year of undergrad here? Do u know any other schools that accept foreign diplomas? I will literally apply to all of them XD

I think most schools accept foreign degrees. The problem is the coursework. Like I said, some schools do accept 1 year coursework in the US; you just need to find them. Others might want all pre-reqs, 60 semester hours, 90 semester hours, etc. Just make sure you're happy with the number of schools you can apply to.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
If anyone wants my list, let me know. I’m just trying to pay it forward. @SymphonyNo9 and @Scottish Chap helped me quite a bit. I got into two MD schools with their kind advice.

Disclaimer: I went thru all 140+ MD schools (the few DO schools I looked at seemed to require undergrad done in the US). Then I shortlisted those that didn’t require undergrad done in the US. Some accepted a higher degree from the US in lieu of a bachelors done here and some just wanted WES and one (Michigan, I think) wanted 90 credit hours but graduate work counted toward the 90 credit hours. I do not have many undergrad credits done in the US (only 12). So I took out those that requires 30 or 90 undergrad credits. I also removed those that only took instate students (there was one in GA) and MUSC takes out of state if you have close ties to SC. And I’m a US citizen. I’m a FL resident so please check your own state schools.

Also, things change from year to year so while I did my best on the list, I can’t guarantee it’s 100% correct.

So if you want my list, send me a DM.
Can I have your list? PMed you:)

PM'ed a few of you. I also have a foreign degree, but I am finishing up a Masters Degree from USC. I haven't taken any prereqs in the U.S...do I have any hope to get into any medical school (MD or DO)?

Members don't see this ad :)
PM'ed a few of you. I also have a foreign degree, but I am finishing up a Masters Degree from USC. I haven't taken any prereqs in the U.S...do I have any hope to get into any medical school (MD or DO)?

Where did you get your foreign degree and what are you taking up at USC?

Where did you get your foreign degree and what are you taking up at USC?

Tel Aviv University in Biology, doing my Masters in Microbiology and Immunology at USC (University of Southern California)

If anyone wants my list, let me know. I’m just trying to pay it forward. @SymphonyNo9 and @Scottish Chap helped me quite a bit. I got into two MD schools with their kind advice.

Disclaimer: I went thru all 140+ MD schools (the few DO schools I looked at seemed to require undergrad done in the US). Then I shortlisted those that didn’t require undergrad done in the US. Some accepted a higher degree from the US in lieu of a bachelors done here and some just wanted WES and one (Michigan, I think) wanted 90 credit hours but graduate work counted toward the 90 credit hours. I do not have many undergrad credits done in the US (only 12). So I took out those that requires 30 or 90 undergrad credits. I also removed those that only took instate students (there was one in GA) and MUSC takes out of state if you have close ties to SC. And I’m a US citizen. I’m a FL resident so please check your own state schools.

Also, things change from year to year so while I did my best on the list, I can’t guarantee it’s 100% correct.

Sent you a PM!

Anyone here have any insight into how closely the WES evaluated GPA matches the calculator on their website?

Hello, I'm a foreign Graduate BPT and I have a DPT from University of Montana. I am also a US citizen. I'm planning to do the 60-90 credits but can I divide it up into 2-3 year classes? Because I'm also working full time as a Physical therapist. Any tips would be very useful.

Hello, I'm a foreign Graduate BPT and I have a DPT from University of Montana. I am also a US citizen. I'm planning to do the 60-90 credits but can I divide it up into 2-3 year classes? Because I'm also working full time as a Physical therapist. Any tips would be very useful.

Look at the websites of the schools in which you're interested and see what they require. If I were you, I'd do the pre-reqs at a cc first and see how that goes. They often have evening classes and it's not hard to get As if you put in a little effort. The pre-req classes will help you with your MCAT too. You can probably finish all those in 2 years if you take 2-3 courses a semester. Where I did my prereqs also offers classes over the summer but they are a lot more intensive, so you'd have to see if you can work your work schedule around it.

Look at the websites of the schools in which you're interested and see what they require. If I were you, I'd do the pre-reqs at a cc first and see how that goes. They often have evening classes and it's not hard to get As if you put in a little effort. The pre-req classes will help you with your MCAT too. You can probably finish all those in 2 years if you take 2-3 courses a semester. Where I did my prereqs also offers classes over the summer but they are a lot more intensive, so you'd have to see if you can work your work schedule around it.
Thank you so much for the response. I'm planning to take every prerequisite subject even though they aren't required in some schools. I want to go the safe side of things so I'm gonna do that next year. Thank you again.

Please help me with your list. Thankd

@SymphonyNo9

Hello! Thanks so much for this helpful post. I am a US citizen, I moved to Jordan and received a bachelors in Biology. I got accepted into a post bacc pre professional program with the intent of taking a few missing prereqs, such as OrgoII and Physics only. After reading your post, I'm not sure if I should apply to a masters or retake all the required prereqs in the post bacc program.. which is the wiser option?

@SymphonyNo9

Hi! Your posts have helped me a lot. Thank you!! I am an international student who has a masters degree in bioinformatics and biotechnology in my home country. I am a not a US citizen. Due to reasons of my own, I want to make a career change to health care and I really want to apply MD programs in the US or Canada. I am finding the process extremely difficult. I have looked into almost every med school in the US and made my own list but most of the require the education in the US. I have been looking into post bacc courses. But most of them say that they do not support f-1 visas. Can u help me out? What are the list of post bacc courses u considered? Should I maybe consider an SMP instead?

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi, I am going through this process right now. I'm applying this cycle with bachelors degrees from Poland. So far it's a mess o_O:whistle::soexcited::barf:

[/QUOTE]
@SymphonyNo9

Hi! Your posts have helped me a lot. Thank you!! I am an international student who has a masters degree in bioinformatics and biotechnology in my home country. I am a not a US citizen. Due to reasons of my own, I want to make a career change to health care and I really want to apply MD programs in the US or Canada. I am finding the process extremely difficult. I have looked into almost every med school in the US and made my own list but most of the require the education in the US. I have been looking into post bacc courses. But most of them say that they do not support f-1 visas. Can u help me out? What are the list of post bacc courses u considered? Should I maybe consider an SMP instead?

I don't think Canada provide residency to non-citizens even if you got a medical degree in Canada, just FYI. I think most people in our situations obtain a master's or post-bacc in the US or Canada before applying and I think most schools require the pre-requisites to be taken in a US/Canadian college. DO should be easier to get in than MD tho, there are about 20 DO programs that accept internationals.

Hello, I needed help with something I was planning on taking a post BAC to fulfill coursework requirements for med school. I have a BSPT from the Philippines and tDPT from University of Montana. I dont have a specific medical school I want as long as I get into medical school. Could you guide on what I should do first?second?third?

My situation is the opposite of your.. my GPA with WES is way below 3.0. My post bacc grades are all As for now. So I don’t know how this will factor in for me. The school I want to attend requests for the WES evaluation..

Hey, I am in the same boat! I am wondering the same thing, if the WES request will mean an immediate rejection despite high GPA on AMCAS...

@SymphonyNo9 and @StarDancer

Where did you take your pre-reqs? Can you share with us which post bacc program you did and how it went? Thanks!
I got into multiple MD and DO schools with a foreign degree this cycle and I've taken all my prereqs in my local CC except biochemistry because it wasn't offered there.

Reactions: 2 users
@SymphonyNo9 and @StarDancer

Where did you take your pre-reqs? Can you share with us which post bacc program you did and how it went? Thanks!

I did pre reqs at two different community colleges. Those were easy As. 4.0 GPA baby!! But seriously, that will get you the secondary but doesn’t really help you getting an interview. Since I was a special case, they definitely looked at my other stuff as well.

when I looked into post bacs, they were very expensive and mostly wanted an undergrad degree in the US anyway.
Good luck

I did pre reqs at two different community colleges. Those were easy As. 4.0 GPA baby!! But seriously, that will get you the secondary but doesn’t really help you getting an interview. Since I was a special case, they definitely looked at my other stuff as well.

when I looked into post bacs, they were very expensive and mostly wanted an undergrad degree in the US anyway.
Good luck
Very true, post bacc are not cheap either and very expensive.

If i may ask whats the interpretation of this statement "But seriously, that will get you the secondary but doesn’t really help you getting an interview. Since I was a special case, they definitely looked at my other stuff as well. ".

Thanks again for helping us out.

@SymphonyNo9

When I have talked to the PRIME program co-ordinator at Case Western Reserve, mentioned they would offer F1

Hi @SymphonyNo9. Thank you for such informative info. Which post-bachelor pre-med program did you go to? Could you pleaser Pm me the list of schools, too? Thank you!

Also, on a random note, make sure all “secondary” immigration stuff is taken care of. What I mean by that is this day like making sure that you are registered with the Selective Service if you need to etc. If you don’t do it by the book, you can be denied financial aid down the road...

@SymphonyNo9 Thanks for sharing this . I am in a similar boat
I am looking to do something similar - have masters in US and undergrad from India

Hopefully will write something like this one day to give back to sdn

Hello
Thank you for information and it was so helpful with my situation.
I have also a foreign bachelor's degree and I still have a question with those credits.
If you don't mind, can I ask your experience?
please let me know
Be safe!!!

Any chance at Texas schools with a foreign undergrad? Don't see them on SymphonyNo9's list and asking because they are cheap.

Any chance at Texas schools with a foreign undergrad? Don't see them on SymphonyNo9's list and asking because they are cheap.

I asked once in person about it at UT and was told that one needs an undergraduate degree from the US to apply to any Texas school. Somebody please confirm.

I applied to all TMDSAS schools with UK undergrad and grad degrees and two years-worth of US post-bacc coursework (60 hours). I matched to UT Austin Dell Med School In February.

TMDSAS schools claim on their websites that they only accept US 90 semester hours, but it seems like there was some leeway once I submitted my app. That being said, be prepared to not hear anything about interviews from some schools that play strictly by the book for credit hour requirements. It’s really the discretion of the admissions committee when they screen your app. Hope this information helps!

Reactions: 2 users
I applied to all TMDSAS schools with UK undergrad and grad degrees and two years-worth of US post-bacc coursework (60 hours). I matched to UT Austin Dell Med School In February.

TMDSAS schools claim on their websites that they only accept US 90 semester hours, but it seems like there was some leeway once I submitted my app. That being said, be prepared to not hear anything about interviews from some schools that play strictly by the book for credit hour requirements. It’s really the discretion of the admissions committee when they screen your app. Hope this information helps!

So you just tried your luck with the app and got in or did you inquire with the schools before submission?

Hi Symphony,

Thank you very much your post about the school list. I am in the same as your boat. I am Vietnamese, and my undergraduate bachelor degree and Masters in Australia but the GPA not too high. Recently I have just moved to the US and am study now prereps in community college in Washington. I will have a green card, may be next year. Could you share with me some information about: (1) your sequence prepreps course and your GPA (2) your applied medical schools (3) strategies help you get high GPA for prereps.

Much appreciate a lot your help and what you share is very meaningful to me. I wish you the best in medical school and your life.

Jasmine.
@SymphonyNo9

One thing, and I’m sure you guys know this, is to get your transcripts etc. processed by World Education Services as soon as you can. It may take a while and you don’t want to wait for this.

Reactions: 1 users
Thank you all for the great info. Best resource and advice I found so far. I have a Foreign Bachelor’s degree of pharmacy. I want to take the pre-reqs, talked to a post bacc advisor and said same thing at least 60 semester credit hours (maybe Washington state). My question is wouldn’t it be better if I transfer my credits and get a second Bachelors from US and avoid limitation. Did anyone try to go this route?

I got into multiple MD and DO schools with a foreign degree this cycle and I've taken all my prereqs in my local CC except biochemistry because it wasn't offered there.
Hi, I'm also taking my prereqs at my local CC but my gpa transcription by WES was way below the minimum requirement of 3.0. What would you advise me since I finished my undergrad in the top 15% and my university is whack at giving us grades.

Thank you all for the great info. Best resource and advice I found so far. I have a Foreign Bachelor’s degree of pharmacy. I want to take the pre-reqs, talked to a post bacc advisor and said same thing at least 60 semester credit hours (maybe Washington state). My question is wouldn’t it be better if I transfer my credits and get a second Bachelors from US and avoid limitation. Did anyone try to go this route?

I have tried evaluating second bachelors,

1. Not many universities willing to consider the credit transfers with a foreign bachelors
2. Some universities does but only few credits might transfer. It is very hard for them to evaluate each foreign course for a credit transfer. They seem to check if the title of the course is same then they most likely to transfer. They have different criteria’s to transfer, course title, if that course is offered at their institution, does it meet same level of academic experience. In US, the courses offered in colleges or universities seems to go by a specific structure, so it would be easy for them to transfer within US but not foreign. But you can always check with them. It is only based on my experience with a specific school. WES can only provide information what would have been credits if those courses are taken in US but that is not a documentation for transfer of credits.
3. Along with the prerequisites and it also need to complete other required courses for a second bachelors, which would leave with more credits to complete
4. I preferred only completing what minimum required and take advance level courses during gap time
5. My personal opinion, second bachelors would be good idea if you don’t have constraint on time and money and also how many credits can be transferred.
6. It is always better to get information from a specific medical school. When I have talked to med school reps at a AAMC virtual fair, they always referred to the pre requisites but not a bachelors whether it is from US or a foreign.
7. So far, I have only read US bachelors is preferred for international students, but not read some one who hasn’t met minimum requirements to apply for a medical school.
8. Get stats from AAMC who just not accept international but who accepted or interviewed them. Those schools seems to provide more accurate information.

I don’t generalize the above points but this is only based on my experience. But you can always explore with different schools.

Hi, I'm also taking my prereqs at my local CC but my gpa transcription by WES was way below the minimum requirement of 3.0. What would you advise me since I finished my undergrad in the top 15% and my university is whack at giving us grades.

Regarding WES, they have changed credential system from last few years. When I have evaluated the same transcripts 12 years and 1 year ago there is a 0.3 less in GPA recent one. The reason might be the same bachelors degree over the years have changed their grading system from where I got my bachelors. They seem to apply new grading system for the same courses which were taken few years back :)

Things might have changed, my AMCAS doesn’t require your foreign grades or WES. Of the schools I applied to, only 2 asked for WES. I think you’ll be ok if things didn‘t change.

I have tried evaluating second bachelors,

1. Not many universities willing to consider the credit transfers with a foreign bachelors
2. Some universities does but only few credits might transfer. It is very hard for them to evaluate each foreign course for a credit transfer. They seem to check if the title of the course is same then they most likely to transfer. They have different criteria’s to transfer, course title, if that course is offered at their institution, does it meet same level of academic experience. In US, the courses offered in colleges or universities seems to go by a specific structure, so it would be easy for them to transfer within US but not foreign. But you can always check with them. It is only based on my experience with a specific school. WES can only provide information what would have been credits if those courses are taken in US but that is not a documentation for transfer of credits.
3. Along with the prerequisites and it also need to complete other required courses for a second bachelors, which would leave with more credits to complete
4. I preferred only completing what minimum required and take advance level courses during gap time
5. My personal opinion, second bachelors would be good idea if you don’t have constraint on time and money and also how many credits can be transferred.
6. It is always better to get information from a specific medical school. When I have talked to med school reps at a AAMC virtual fair, they always referred to the pre requisites but not a bachelors whether it is from US or a foreign.
7. So far, I have only read US bachelors is preferred for international students, but not read some one who hasn’t met minimum requirements to apply for a medical school.
8. Get stats from AAMC who just not accept international but who accepted or interviewed them. Those schools seems to provide more accurate information.

I don’t generalize the above points but this is only based on my experience. But you can always explore with different schools.
I agree with a lot of this. Also note, that your 2nd bachelors must be in something different. I was a biochem major and couldn’t do anything biomed related. Maybe it was the school where I asked, but it does make sense.

Hi i’m currently on the same boat. I would love some advice. Foreign undergrad 2015 on the low end of 3.0 gpa. Been working in a hospital lab for almost 5 years with a few volunteer ops. Most of my prereqs were evaluated to only 3credit units each as we do not offer courses in my country as I & II (orgo,inorg,bio,ana physio). Did some diy post bacc just around 21 credits from my local CC (anaphysio 1&2, calculus,physics,medical terminology). My question is, would it give me a better chance of getting in if I redid all the prereqs in my local cc ( cheaper but longer) or if I went straight ahead and do an MSMP (more expensive but shorter)? If I did MSMP would they look at my undergrad prereqs being under the required # of credit hours?

Things might have changed, my AMCAS doesn’t require your foreign grades or WES. Of the schools I applied to, only 2 asked for WES. I think you’ll be ok if things didn‘t change.
AAMCAS does not require WES but only med school require the evaluation records where applicable, that is where the pre-reqs completion in US is preferred.

This is such a great thread. Thanks for creating it. I'm in the same situation. An American who spent more than half of his life abroad. I am now trying to figure out if I should apply to a post bacc or a second bachelor's. And if I don't go the second bachelor's route, if I could just 'overstay' in the post bacc to get more credit hours done. Has anyone has experience with this? Also, what schools did some of you go to for the prerequisites? Did any of those schools agree to register you as a second bachelor's seeking student?

Does anyone know if the AAMC or AACOM have any stats on accepted/admitted students with foreign bachelors but are US GC holders or citizens?

Hi guys, I am also in the same boat. Currently in a post bacc hoping to finish with 60 hours. I also have a Masters in Engineering from the US.

Hi, which two schools asked for WES? I started the process but it's taking a long time (I have a master's degree from Germany).

Can you please send me your US coursework as well?? Thank you so much, it'd be very helpful, I'd really appreciate it.

You might be graduating from your medschool right now, hope you all the best!!!

After being on SDN for a while, and fortunately enough getting an acceptance from an med school, I would like to contribute something. I've seen a few posts here related to this topic. So I think it might be a good idea to make a guide (it’s more like sharing my thought) and initiate a discussion about applying US med school with foreign, non-Canadian, bachelor degree. I wrote this based on my own experience, so please correct me if I’m wrong.
I would start with my story, and you can ask me about it too.

I’m a US citizen, born in the US. I grew up in a foreign country and completed my college there. No degree in the US. Native language is not English. ORM.

Outside of the US: I have some leadership experiences, only limited community (non-clinical) volunteering. Done some research without any publication/poster. Bio major with mediocre GPA.

In the US: I will have been in the US for 3 years before getting into med school, 2 years in a post-bacc program for pre-reqs with 60 semester hours, and 1 gap year for working and applying. ECs include clinical volunteering, shadowing, and more research in the gap year. Better post-bacc GPA.

I’m also a re-applicant with 4 years in between. MCAT twice, from a mediocre to a high score. I applied ~10 schools at the first time, no interview and no acceptance. The second time I applied significantly more schools, got some interviews, with at least an acceptance.

A Guide to Applying US Med School with a Foreign Bachelor Degree

Citizenship:

It is significantly better if you have a US citizenship or a green card. Most med schools require one. However, I personally know a few international students who have done well and got accepted to some particular schools. If you are an international student, ask the schools or check on their websites to find out the eligibility.

Course Requirement: (the most important part, IMO)

Med schools have different course requirements, especially for us who did not attend to a US/Canadian college. I emailed/called a lot of schools to ask or to confirm what’s on their websites. Based on what I got, the requirement can be categorized into the following:
  1. A US bachelor degree is required. Mayo has been mentioned several times. I found some other schools have the same requirement.

2. An advanced degree in the US is required, such as a master or PhD, with a foreign bachelor degree. I personally don’t have one, and I don’t remember seeing many of them.

3. 30, 60, or 90 semester hours in the US, with a foreign bachelor degree. A lot of schools are in this category, IIRC. Some schools might require all undergraduate level courses, while some accept master/PhD level courses.

4. 1 or 2 years of study in the US, with a foreign bachelor degree. Might be undergraduate level or other advanced degree level depending on schools.

5. Prerequisites in the US. What courses count as prerequisites also depends on schools.

6. International/foreign degrees or credits are acceptable. They are rare but they do exist.
As you can see, some categories are overlapping. I personally did 60 semester hours including pre-reqs, and that’s a 2-year full-time study in the US. That limits me from applying schools that require a US degree or 90 hours, but I do have plenty schools to choose from categories 3~6.

That being said, you can go through different paths. I know some people using their extra time to take pre-reqs while doing a master/PhD in the US. You can also go to a formal or DIY post-bacc program. A second bachelor degree is another good choice. I’m not sure about transferring credits to US schools, but in theory this might work.

Bottom line, a foreign/non-Canadian bachelor degree is acceptable and not required in most cases if you have some coursework done in the US. If you have an advanced degree in the US, it’s a plus. If you have a 2nd bachelor in the US, you’re golden. And ask schools about their policies if needed.

AMCAS:

The foreign coursework will not be verified by the AMCAS and you don’t need to send the foreign transcript, period. I listed all of them anyway to let schools see my other courses. Nevertheless, if you only have foreign coursework in the AMCAS, your GPA in it is zero. Your GPA in the AMCAS will be calculated from your US coursework. (This actually works in my favor) Some schools might want to see your foreign courses and degree evaluation from WES or similar corporations, but it’s not required by the AMCAS. I personally had not been asked for one for med school application.

ECs:

Just like other applicants, we need all sorts of ECs. However, in addition to leadership, sports, artistic endeavor, etc., I strongly suggest a good amount of clinical exposure in the US even if you have done some oversea. Clinical volunteering or shadowing are necessary, IMO. The reason is that you have to be familiar with the health care in the US.

Others:

I didn’t specifically bring up anything about why I want to come to the US in the primary app, secondaries, or interviews. I was only asked in a few interviews to compare the health care in two different countries. However, be prepared for this “why US” type of question.

Strategy:

As everyone else, my strategy for applying was to maximize my chance. Yet, I didn’t want to do research while doing my US coursework, so no Master or PhD. I also wanted to take the risk of not spending a long time. Therefore, I planned my own path and fortunately it works. So plan your path according to your own situation.

I also have done extensive research on the course requirement of most, if not all, schools. It’s important to know which schools you want to go to and you are eligible to apply. Then it will be an easier, maybe only slightly, work when generating a school list for primary application.

Finally, please remember there are many aspects in the application, GPA, MCAT, PS, ECs, LORs, secondaries, interviews, etc. This is only my personal experience and opinion for planning a path and finding out chances before applying with a unique situation. Also, I believe it’s far from comprehensive since my knowledge is limited. I also don’t have enough experience with DO schools, transfer courses, community college, etc.

Feedback, questions, and discussions are welcome. PM me if needed. Special thanks to many wise SDNers that are answering the questions or spreading out useful information.

Edit: Here's my school list:

Like you might know, I only have researched the schools/states I potentially wanted to go, so it's not a complete list. The green ones are roughly the ones that I applied to. Obviously, your school list should be according to your stats. And please note that I had 60 semester hours (including pre-reqs) in the US when I applied. So for above reasons, you could and should certainly contact the schools you are interested in, and confirmed with them.
Still, feel free to ask questions!

Hi SymphoneNo9,
Thank you for your extensive information that is very helpful to us who hold Bachelor's Degree from a foreign country but is a US Citizen. I am in the same situation as you were before. I know your post was years ago, but I was hoping to be able to reconnect with you as I have a few questions to ask. You said you got accepted into medical school in the US. When you did your post bacc program was it from a formal post bacc or DIY? I am currently in a DIY at UCLA Extension. I like it because I still can work full time while studying in the evening. I am not sure if this is fine or I should enroll in a formal post bacc or a special master's program/post bacc. I have been completing the rest of my prerequisites for grad school because my foreign degree which was in Clinical Laboratory Science was lacking some credits to the pre med requirement courses. So I have retaken Gen Chem so far and did Biology for a year in the US both through UCLA Extension and a community college in the US. So far I have like more than 30 semester hours (credits) and still going on as I have to retake O-Chem so I can have more current prerequisites as I have graduated college like a decade now. Also, I am a Clinical Lab Scientist by profession working full time while studying part time. I have a big clinical experience since I work in one of the top hospitals in the state. I help physicians diagnose diseases and I assisted in bone marrow aspirations with doctors before in Pathology but need more shadowing experience with other fields. That being said, as a foreign bachelor's degree graduate and working in the healthcare industry in the US for many years, plus taking prerequisites in the US, should this suffice to most schools, or is it better if I do a Special Master's Degree like some of them require for applicants. I know some post bacc programs are like Special Master's Program which you can get a degree afterwards. I am a US Citizen just like you who graduated outside of the U.S. I just don't know how can I be a more competitive candidate like you. I've been thinking USC MS Global Medicine or an online MPH Program or a year of MS Biomedical Sciences. Those create more debt though and I am already taking classes to fulfill school requirements. And last question, I know you probably are a doctor right now, do you mind telling which medical school did you matriculated and accepted you as a foreign graduate student before? Thank you so much for reading my long message. Good luck to everyone who is on their path to a medical career!