A crazy question for OMFS residents....

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Scientist1

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was wondering if you've had anyone that switched to another medical specialty after being in OMFS program for a couple of years. afterall if you have your MD you can pretty much apply to any specialty, isn't that right? Just wondering.... I personally think its a crazy idea....

Members don't see this ad.

Scientist1 said:
I was wondering if you've had anyone that switched to another medical specialty after being in OMFS program for a couple of years. afterall if you have your MD you can pretty much apply to any specialty, isn't that right? Just wondering.... I personally think its a crazy idea....
After spending my month on ER rotation doing rectal exams, I thought about switching over into proctology. Then I realized that my finger always smelled like **** afterwards. I think I'll stay with oral surgery...

OMFSCardsFan said:
After spending my month on ER rotation doing rectal exams, I thought about switching over into proctology. Then I realized that my finger always smelled like **** afterwards. I think I'll stay with oral surgery...

Did you get to perform any procedures like Dirty Sanzhez's? :smuggrin:

Members don't see this ad :)
Doggie said:
Did you get to perform any procedures like Dirty Sanzhez's? :smuggrin:

Off topic, but did you see Deuce Bigalow European Gigolo? They rattled off dozens of these bizzare, hilarious sex acts. Pretty damn funny.

I appreciate the jokes, but could I please get a straight answer to this??

drhobie7 said:
Off topic, but did you see Deuce Bigalow European Gigolo? They rattled off dozens of these bizzare, hilarious sex acts. Pretty damn funny.

i think that was in 40 yr old virgin

Scientist1 said:
...I personally think its a crazy idea....
Do you really? I bet you're some sort of cardiologist-wannabe looking for an easy back-door entry into medicine. ha! :smuggrin:

I actually it's more fun to read SDN if we have witty replies....... :smuggrin:

We had someone drop out of our program about 8 years ago to do anesthesia. I have heard of this happening at several other programs as well. I don't think it's a reflection of the oral surgery program, they just changed their mind. The funny thing is that they end up finishing anesthesia a year later than they would have finished oral surgery.

We also had someone drop out of our program for orthodontics after finishing med school about 5-6 years ago. JediWendell has given his thoughts on this before. I guess it's better to find out sooner rather than later that you would be happier somewhere else.

As for as other medical specialties...the more I'm around them, the more I confirm to myself that I chose the best kept secret in all of healthcare, at least for me.

Reactions: 1 user
We only had one dropout.

And he went into FREAKING FAMILY PRACTICE!!!!!

What an idiot. It was before my time though, so i didn't know him.

As for as other medical specialties...the more I'm around them, the more I confirm to myself that I chose the best kept secret in all of healthcare, at least for me.[/QUOTE]

Why do you feel this way? I also agree somewhat with your statement.....however, now that I'm going through medschool, I began to think the surgery we perform as omfs is quite "insignificant" relatively to other surgical services (i.e. GS, ortho, etc.) Don't get me wrong, I'm quite happy I don't have to deal with really sick patients and life and death situations. However, I don't get alot of gratifcation in repairing a mandible fx or even mandibulectomy after seeing other surgeries in medschool.

omfs44 said:
As for as other medical specialties...the more I'm around them, the more I confirm to myself that I chose the best kept secret in all of healthcare, at least for me.

Why do you feel this way? I also agree somewhat with your statement.....however, now that I'm going through medschool, I began to think the surgery we perform as omfs is quite "insignificant" relatively to other surgical services (i.e. GS, ortho, etc.) Don't get me wrong, I'm quite happy I don't have to deal with really sick patients and life and death situations. However, I don't get alot of gratifcation in repairing a mandible fx or even mandibulectomy after seeing other surgeries in medschool.[/QUOTE]

Are you drunk? Somebody get this guy back on OMFS, I think he is loosing his back bone. You'd rather do a tib-fib repair than a mandible? Rather do an inguinal hernia than an orthognathic procedure? Rather zap genital warts than take out wizzies? Those meddies are sucking the heart out of you! Rather put PE tubes in kids ears than doing an expose and bond or some implants? I need some fresh air....

There have actually been two from Parkland go into orthodontics, although on finished five years and one only finished three or so. One of the guys went to Connecticut and the other Rochester for their ortho. (I was externing there when the UConn guy left. It was a real uproar, and I remember thinking what an idiot he was.................... :D )

I agree with toof completely. It won't take long for you to realize dentistry is a much better deal right now. I even have a buddy from medical school who finished medicine and one year of general surgery internship that is going back to dental school to maybe try and do OMS. I told him to keep an open mind and not rule out other dental specialties, however.

toofache32 said:
We had someone drop out of our program about 8 years ago to do anesthesia. I have heard of this happening at several other programs as well. I don't think it's a reflection of the oral surgery program, they just changed their mind. The funny thing is that they end up finishing anesthesia a year later than they would have finished oral surgery.

We also had someone drop out of our program for orthodontics after finishing med school about 5-6 years ago. JediWendell has given his thoughts on this before. I guess it's better to find out sooner rather than later that you would be happier somewhere else.

Members don't see this ad :)
omfs44 said:
now that I'm going through medschool, I began to think the surgery we perform as omfs is quite "insignificant" relatively to other surgical services (i.e. GS, ortho, etc.)
I think I know what you're talking about...our surgeries are rarely for life-threatening conditions. Our patients definately aren't as sick. But on the other hand, our procedures tend to require much more dexterity and inginuity (in my opinion). We always have long-term treatment plans we have to integrate our surgeries in to, as opposed to "let's just do damage control on this stab wound and we'll see what else needs to be done later." It's an entirely different way of thinking, and much more "civilized"...the general surgeons tend to have very defensive and overbearing personalities because that's how they have to be to stand up to their faculty. I swear they're like a bunch of silverbacks sometimes. If I got beat up everyday I'd be an a$$hole too.

But there's not much I hate more than gut surgery.

toofache32 said:
If I got beat up everyday I'd be an a$$hole too.

But there's not much I hate more than gut surgery.

Come on. I heard about you. Word on the street is you did get beat up everyday..for you lunch money is what i heard. The bully dental students in memphis and that bum omsres used to beat you up and push you in the mud. At least that is what he tells us.

Jediwendell said:
I even have a buddy from medical school who finished medicine and one year of general surgery internship that is going back to dental school to maybe try and do OMS. I told him to keep an open mind and not rule out other dental specialties, however.

I think he might be in my class...

Scientist1 said:

My program had 3 consecutive residents jump ship within 6 weeks of each other. All were in differing levels of their education. One went to Internal Medicine (I think I need some Zofran/Phenergan), one went into anesthesia, and one went into General Surgery. I think alot of this had to do with our old program director which basically made life so hard that anything else was easier than OMFS. Then losing 3 residents in a one resident per year program (MD) pretty much killed it here in the middle 90's. The program went to 4 years and stabalized. Now they are talking about adding the MD as an option to be done at the end of the four years.

esclavo said:
My program had 3 consecutive residents jump ship within 6 weeks of each other. All were in differing levels of their education. One went to Internal Medicine (I think I need some Zofran/Phenergan), one went into anesthesia, and one went into General Surgery. I think alot of this had to do with our old program director which basically made life so hard that anything else was easier than OMFS. Then losing 3 residents in a one resident per year program (MD) pretty much killed it here in the middle 90's. The program went to 4 years and stabalized. Now they are talking about adding the MD as an option to be done at the end of the four years.

What program are you in??

shariq said:
What program are you in??

hi guys, im currently applyin to dental schools right now so technically i shouldn't even be reading ur threads.. but i was just wondering, how much do omfs's make during residency and after residency? i've seen salaries ranging from $150k a year to $350k a year. which one is it closer to? i kno im not even in dental school yet but i grew quite fond of the specialty oms while shadowing an oms.. so please give me some feedback. thanks

raZ10 said:
hi guys, im currently applyin to dental schools right now so technically i shouldn't even be reading ur threads.. but i was just wondering, how much do omfs's make during residency and after residency? i've seen salaries ranging from $150k a year to $350k a year. which one is it closer to? i kno im not even in dental school yet but i grew quite fond of the specialty oms while shadowing an oms.. so please give me some feedback. thanks
Do a search. But the quick answer is: OMFS residents get paid the same as every other resident in a hospital...about $35-40G starting out and increasing maybe a thousand or less each year. There are a few that start around $45G but these are in huge cities where the cost of living is sky-high...$45G in NYC is way less than $35G in the South.

Once you get out it varies by where you live. Start at maybe $150-200G and go up from there depending on your practice.

esclavo said:

are you from Carle Foundation??

SuperTrooper said:
Do you really? I bet you're some sort of cardiologist-wannabe looking for an easy back-door entry into medicine. ha! :smuggrin:

An easy back door way to get into medicine, what are you crazy?? if anything, this would be the hardest way of getting into medicine. Haven't you gone through dental school? Its hell....

Scientist1 said:
An easy back door way to get into medicine, what are you crazy?? if anything, this would be the hardest way of getting into medicine. Haven't you gone through dental school? Its hell....
i disagree about the "hardest" way...its a longer and exaggerated "back door" way, but much easier in case you didnt get those great MCAT scores! when i was in 1st year, a faculty once remarked on my 1st day of class..." How many of you actually wanted to make it to Med School as your 1st choice?" and almost 95% of hands (including himself) were raised! he then went on to explain us about the advantages of dentistry as a career etc etc..but i bet there are tons of dental school graduates who still have that dark secretive ambition to get back to med school to becoming a flourishing MD and they WILL eventually pursue it!

SuperTrooper said:
I bet you're some sort of cardiologist-wannabe looking for an easy back-door entry into medicine. ha! :smuggrin:

If he or she is looking for an easy way in to medical school they are misinformed. There are a ton of people trying to get into dental school right now. It is every bit as competitive as medical school, if not more so. I was told by the admissions staff that the average GPA for incoming dental students at San Antonio is higher than that of the medical students. If you look at the University of Kentucky website the average GPA is 3.4 in dental vs. 3.6 in medicine. Neither will be a cakewalk.

simpledoc said:
but i bet there are tons of dental school graduates who still have that dark secretive ambition to get back to med school to becoming a flourishing MD and they WILL eventually pursue it!

Tons? I doubt it. A few? Perhaps.

If you really want to be an MD, you will likely be miserable in dental school and unlikely to obtain the grades/board scores required for OMFS.

One of my favorite myths about dentistry is that people in MD/OMFS programs tend to jump ship to other specialties. In my experience, I've seen that the MD/OMFS guys/gals are very dedicated to OMFS and rarely switch to something else. Even in those cases, it's a relatively linear move to plastics or ENT.

For example, many people on this board propagate the rumor that Harvard/MGH residents leave to go into other specialties, when the data totally support that fact that the vast majority (90%) go into OMFS. Rumors about OMFS will always abound - just ask Toofache32 about the divorce rate at Parkland.

As an aside, I feel really sorry for patients who are treated from graduates of your school, since "95%" of them didn't really want to be dentists.

simpledoc said:
but i bet there are tons of dental school graduates who still have that dark secretive ambition to get back to med school to becoming a flourishing MD and they WILL eventually pursue it!
Get back to us if some numbers even develop to back you up.

ajmacgregor said:
Rumors about OMFS will always abound - just ask Toofache32 about the divorce rate at Parkland.
Highest in the country...last I heard.

toofache32 said:

And I heard it was due to ugly residents rather than workload. :smuggrin:

toofache32 said:

How many of your wives did you divorce last year toof?......2 or 3? I can't remember.

esclavo said:
And I heard it was due to ugly residents rather than workload. :smuggrin:
I doubt it....how many women do you think can resist this:

WHO WANTS SUMMA DIS?

north2southOMFS said:
How many of your wives did you divorce last year toof?......2 or 3? I can't remember.
Yep, 3.....but those were all in Utah.

toofache32 said:
I doubt it....how many women do you think can resist this:

WHO WANTS SUMMA DIS?

Wait, I guess I was totally wrong, it IS the workload... nice stache. Geeze how could I have been so judgmental? Carry on..... (I have hung up toof's picture in the girls bathroom-expect a ton of pm's!)