A couple of fun articles...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
That's funny stuff, and way too true. In clinics so far, I've been lucky and not run into very many of these kind of patients. I did have a couple who arrived with an amateur prefab diagnosis and a treatment plan; you almost want to say, "well then, why don't you just sign your Rx and be on your way... oh, waaaait, you didn't go to school for this. I did." :p

There was a recent PRESENT emailing that was related this topic:

[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]"Guest Editorial: .
[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]In our ongoing efforts to provide you interesting and useful content, I am happy to introduce you to Megan Lawton, DPM, AACFAS, who has recently completed her first year in podiatric practice. Many of you may already know Dr. Lawton from her multiple literary contributions to the podiatric community. Dr Lawton completed her three year surgical residency at Grant Hospital in Columbus, Ohio and is now in practice with the Foot and Ankle Management Group in Naples, Florida..
[FONT=Verdana,Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]—Jarrod Shapiro, DPM.​
[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]One Year Impressions From A New Doc .
[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]by Megan Lawton, DPM, AACFAS.​
[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]B.[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]eing in practice for a little over a year now, there are certain things I have seen that are now becoming noticeable patterns. .​
  • [FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Instant gratification: Having your own patients and being able to relieve their pain in a couple of minutes is one of the most rewarding things I have experienced..​
  • [FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]The paper trail:.[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif] I thought that residency consisted of a lot of paperwork. That was just the warm-up! Between office notes, phone calls, forms to be filled out, and everyday visits from drug representatives, it seems that there is no time to actually see patients..​
  • [FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]The customer (patient) is not always right:.[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif] Many times patients will have pre-conceived notions of what they have and what they want you to do to treat it. Nine times out of ten, the research was done on the Internet, and the other 1/10th is a friend that has diagnosed them. Luckily, once you explain what the real problem is, most tend to follow the treatment protocols..​
  • [FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]The never-ending question: How old are you?.[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif] It may be because the area I practice in is generally an older population and I look young to them, but I even have kids ask me as well. I am getting to the age where I actually appreciate the comments, but I don't think a patient would outright ask the age of an older doctor..​
  • [FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]The ‘management' in practice:. [FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]There are a lot of ancillary services to provide to patients that are good for business as well. Imagine from a standpoint of not knowing anything medically. You are told by an office to get a product, and when you get to the store, there are 100 different varieties. Which is best? Now, imagine going to an office, them giving you a certain product stating that it is the best option for your condition. It takes all the guesswork out and saves patients time and reduces their stress..​
  • [FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Interesting gifts: One of the more interesting things that I have received is a ceramic statue of an obese man riding a bike with golf clubs on the back. In contrast, I did get a really useful gift, which was a Joe Mauer (Twins) jersey.​
[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]I'm sure as the years go on the patterns will change, some for the good and some bad. Right now, I will just enjoy this exciting time and hope that you are or will be doing the same. .
[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]I would love to hear from you what you think of my list, or if you have any patterns to add. Or, let us know what interesting gifts you have received!.
[FONT=Verdana,Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Megan Lawton, DPM, AACFAS".​

That's funny stuff, and way too true. In clinics so far, I've been lucky and not run into very many of these kind of patients. I did have a couple who arrived with an amateur prefab diagnosis and a treatment plan; you almost want to say, "well then, why don't you just sign your Rx and be on your way... oh, waaaait, you didn't go to school for this. I did." :p

There was a recent PRESENT emailing that was related this topic:

[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]"Guest Editorial: .
[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]In our ongoing efforts to provide you interesting and useful content, I am happy to introduce you to Megan Lawton, DPM, AACFAS, who has recently completed her first year in podiatric practice. Many of you may already know Dr. Lawton from her multiple literary contributions to the podiatric community. Dr Lawton completed her three year surgical residency at Grant Hospital in Columbus, Ohio and is now in practice with the Foot and Ankle Management Group in Naples, Florida..
[FONT=Verdana,Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]—Jarrod Shapiro, DPM.​
[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]One Year Impressions From A New Doc .
[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]by Megan Lawton, DPM, AACFAS.​
[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]B.[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]eing in practice for a little over a year now, there are certain things I have seen that are now becoming noticeable patterns. .​
  • [FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Instant gratification: Having your own patients and being able to relieve their pain in a couple of minutes is one of the most rewarding things I have experienced..​
  • [FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]The paper trail:.[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif] I thought that residency consisted of a lot of paperwork. That was just the warm-up! Between office notes, phone calls, forms to be filled out, and everyday visits from drug representatives, it seems that there is no time to actually see patients..​
  • [FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]The customer (patient) is not always right:.[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif] Many times patients will have pre-conceived notions of what they have and what they want you to do to treat it. Nine times out of ten, the research was done on the Internet, and the other 1/10th is a friend that has diagnosed them. Luckily, once you explain what the real problem is, most tend to follow the treatment protocols..​
  • [FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]The never-ending question: How old are you?.[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif] It may be because the area I practice in is generally an older population and I look young to them, but I even have kids ask me as well. I am getting to the age where I actually appreciate the comments, but I don’t think a patient would outright ask the age of an older doctor..​
  • [FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]The ‘management’ in practice:. [FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]There are a lot of ancillary services to provide to patients that are good for business as well. Imagine from a standpoint of not knowing anything medically. You are told by an office to get a product, and when you get to the store, there are 100 different varieties. Which is best? Now, imagine going to an office, them giving you a certain product stating that it is the best option for your condition. It takes all the guesswork out and saves patients time and reduces their stress..​
  • [FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Interesting gifts: One of the more interesting things that I have received is a ceramic statue of an obese man riding a bike with golf clubs on the back. In contrast, I did get a really useful gift, which was a Joe Mauer (Twins) jersey.​
[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]I’m sure as the years go on the patterns will change, some for the good and some bad. Right now, I will just enjoy this exciting time and hope that you are or will be doing the same. .
[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]I would love to hear from you what you think of my list, or if you have any patterns to add. Or, let us know what interesting gifts you have received!.
[FONT=Verdana,Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Megan Lawton, DPM, AACFAS".​

PRESENT has to be the biggest waste of an email inbox, geezus....