700 to go unmatched

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

triathlete411

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Just curious if this was what everyone had been hearing. A radiology attending told me today that about 700 applicants to rads residency will go unmatched this year. Heard that it was only 400 last year.

Members don't see this ad.

maybe if you count FMG's...but i think way below 100 US students don't match. I thought the number was like 70 don't match.

There is a bit over 1400 U.S. (med students or grads) that applied to radiology this year. There's about 900+ positions open this year. Not sure what the number goes to if you include IMG's. You get included in this number if you apply to only one radiology program or if you apply to 5 different specialties. Some of those didn't receive any interviews and some don't want to do radiology anyway. When the final numbers come out (people who actually only rank radiology) it'll probably be about 10-15% unmatched rate. You're not included in this number if you rank pathology or medicine after all your radiology programs however so it's difficult to look at the number of people who truly and desperately want to be radiologist that don't match.