7 weeks enough time to study for the MCAT?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

hp95

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello!

So I recently graduated this past May and originally planned to take the MCAT earlier in the summer so I could apply during this cycle, but I ended up deciding to take two gap years instead of one and will be applying next summer. I have been obligated with research commitments for the past couple months so I haven't been able to study, but for the next 7 weeks I will have nothing else to do but study for the MCAT. I have signed up for the September 9th test date, and I was just wondering if 7 weeks of full-time studying (6-8 hours) per day would be enough to get a 509+ on the MCAT? I am a little rusty on the material since I haven't seen a lot of it in a while. I have the TPR course materials and plan to use those in addition to the AAMC material. Thanks in advance!

UPDATE: So I just took a Next Step diagnostic exam (the half-length) and scored a 493. So would it be possible to get a 509 by Sept 9 or should I take it in the winter?

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Hello!

So I recently graduated this past May and originally planned to take the MCAT earlier in the summer so I could apply during this cycle, but I ended up deciding to take two gap years instead of one and will be applying next summer. I have been obligated with research commitments for the past couple months so I haven't been able to study, but for the next 7 weeks I will have nothing else to do but study for the MCAT. I have signed up for the September 9th test date, and I was just wondering if 7 weeks of full-time studying (6-8 hours) per day would be enough to get a 509+ on the MCAT? I am a little rusty on the material since I haven't seen a lot of it in a while. I have the TPR course materials and plan to use those in addition to the AAMC material. Thanks in advance!

The general rule of thumb is to dedicate approximately 2-3 months of continuous studying for 8-10 hours a day. So I personally think that 7-weeks is not sufficient to cover all the material and get a good number of practice exams in. Though you do know yourself better than any of us do, I'd recommend you do a diagnostic exam to see where you stand and from there you can decide and we can advise.

Well since you're not applying until next cycle, you could always take the exam next winter (Jan, Feb) and give yourself a lot of time to prepare.

That said I'm a big proponent of taking the exam when the material is relatively fresh in your mind and if you feel that way now then I think you could go for it.

I did general content review for months but only really "studied" for 6 weeks before my test. Still waiting on results but felt pretty good about it.

If I were you I would plan on sept 9 exam, study until you're about a month about (august 7th or so) and take a scored AAMC official exam. If your score is solid then I would stick to taking it sept 9th. If not you can always push it back until the winter. You have tons of options here, just take it when you feel you can be most ready.

The general rule of thumb is to dedicate approximately 2-3 months of continuous studying for 8-10 hours a day. So I personally think that 7-weeks is not sufficient to cover all the material and get a good number of practice exams in. Though you do know yourself better than any of us do, I'd recommend you do a diagnostic exam to see where you stand and from there you can decide and we can advise.

So I just took the NS diagnostic exam today and scored a 493 (121/121/123/128). Do you think studying 8 hours everyday for the next 7 weeks would be enough to raise it to a 509+? I did realize while taking the exam that there were lots of things, especially from physics and gen chem, that I forgot. I also need to work on taking it in timed conditions because I ran out of time on the C/P and CARS sections.

Members don't see this ad :)
Says who? That's about double what most people I know, including myself, did. Who scored >95th%ile...

If you've taken the prereqs, 7 weeks full time, or 2-3 months while working part/full time should be plenty. It's not rocket science, it's first year university + some second year courses