Compilation 509+ MCAT Study Habits

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

supremus

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Use the template below:

1) Your individual scores and composite score
2) The study method used for each section
3) What materials you used for each section(Kaplan, TPR, Examkrackers, AAMC, TBR, etc)
4) Which practice tests did you use? (Optional: include scores)
5) What was your undergraduate major?
6) Any other tips you may have for those of us who still have this test lurking over us?
7) How long did you study for the MCAT?

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Reactions: 28 users
Solution
Use the template below:

1) Scores:
  • C/P: 128
  • CARS: 131
  • Bio: 132
  • Psych: 127
  • Total: 518
  • Overall: I read every page of the review books and took notes for chem and psych, as they were my weakest sections. For any section that I had never gone over in school, I read and took notes (such as the metabolism sections). I would go back and forth with the Kaplan online videos/lessons, their practice problems, and the book in order to really memorize the info
  • Chem/Phys: this was easily my weakest section to begin with, so I went back to the basics (for chem)
  • CARS: the Kaplan tips on how to work with the CARS section were invaluable. Their hour-long MCAT channel...
I am looking to retake the MCAT. Unfortunately, I work full time and the best I could do is maybe part time for a month or so. I still remember most of the content which might help and I used the Kaplan books, NS exams 1-4, and AAMC FL 2.

So basically I'm asking what other materials should I get to do better next time around. I scored about the same in all sections. I'm not trying to break the bank but am willing to drop another $200 tops on prep material and would take it this summer. Does anyone recommend specific practice exams? or questions packets? Any help is appreciated.

Thanks!

I am looking to retake the MCAT. Unfortunately, I work full time and the best I could do is maybe part time for a month or so. I still remember most of the content which might help and I used the Kaplan books, NS exams 1-4, and AAMC FL 2.

So basically I'm asking what other materials should I get to do better next time around. I scored about the same in all sections. I'm not trying to break the bank but am willing to drop another $200 tops on prep material and would take it this summer. Does anyone recommend specific practice exams? or questions packets? Any help is appreciated.

Thanks!

Ask this in pre-allo, where you'll be more likely to get feedback. This subforum doesn't get much as traffic since it's mostly people who're either about to study for the MCAT or who are currently studying for it that visit it.

Reactions: 1 user
Just to share my story if anyone has questions,

I prepared with the Kaplan self paced for approximately 2 months. Totaling between 350-450 hours. I would take advantage of all the resources possible. Review of topics is just as important as "studying the format of the test" and learning how to take this 7 hour long exam. The Kaplan company does a great job reviewing the material. It also provides about 11 or so full length practice exams. These are all very beneficial, but the exams released by the AAMC are much better. I remember the highest I scored on a Kaplan test was about 511-512. The AAMC tests predicted my test score a little better as I scored in the 93rd and 94th percentile on those (and took them closest to test day). On the MCAT this past July I scored 516, 95th percentile.

Members don't see this ad :)
Use the template below:

3) What materials you used for each section(Kaplan, TPR, Examkrackers, AAMC, TBR, etc)
6) Any other tips you may have for those of us who still have this test lurking over us?

I scored a 513, with 128 in C/P, 132 in CARS, 129 in BB, and 124 in P/S.

I used Kaplan for everything. I've heard elsewhere that they lack in the P/S section, my score reflects that. So maybe use something else for P/S?

I took Kaplans diagnostic and 2 full lengths. On the diagnostic I scored 487, FL 1 was 490, FL2 was 504.

My undergraduate major is straight up biology.

Tips I have: be confident. I did not get enough time to study and used a 4 week period only to study. During that 4 week period I was still working 25 hours a week. I probably only got 100 hours total of study time. The difference I noticed between me and the rest of the people in my testing center was level of worry. You could see how this test was eating alive the other test takers with worry. I went in with confidence that I studied to the best of my abilities and could retake it if need be. So my best tip is find a happy place in your mind, go there when you are stressed, and put everything else aside.

Reactions: 10 users
Hi All- I tested for the first time on 1/28/17 (and was able to cancel my April "just in case" seat!) :)

1) Your individual scores and composite score: 520 (129/132/129/130)

• I prepped for 6 months while working full-time. It was long (verrrrrrrry long), but I would not have felt comfortable sitting for the test with a shorter study period. I studied between 25-30 hours per week.
  • I did the TPR Self Directed Study Course, so I only self-studied, and I did not use the pre-recorded lectures from the course (didn't find them helpful)
  • Halfway through my studying I switched to the @MeVamp approach (stickied in the SDN Forum) and I highly recommend it for a study strategy- basically for C/P, B/BC, and P/S I had giant "Question Bank" word documents that I made while reading the sections, then went through and tried to answer from memory
  • I also made comprehensive formula "cheat sheets" for those 3 sections- if I didn't know something after a time or two through my question banks, it went on the sheet
  • For CARS, due to a heavy reading habit I actually did not study for this section. I picked up one study tip, of summarizing each paragraph of the passage in one sentence, and that was about it.
  • I ended up doing between 16-18 practice tests (two per week the month leading up to the exam)
  • I used TPR, AAMC, and the free TPR and Next Step FLs
  • My scores started out super low on TPR, and only got in-range of my 515 goal score towards the end
  • TPR: 504, 505, 503, 506, 504, 506, 502, 513, 504, 513, 509
  • NS: 514
  • AAMC 1: 513, AAMC 2: 521
5) What was your undergraduate major? Psychology
6) Any other tips you may have for those of us who still have this test lurking over us? Good luck! And don't let the early practice test scores (particularly from TPR) scare you- it all really does come together in the end if you keep plugging away
7) How long did you study for the MCAT? see above- 6 months give or take

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
I always hoped I would get to post here :)

• 518 total (129/128/131/130)
  • My primary studying was the Kaplan self-paced online course. Not the one with the weekly webcam sessions, just the one that you pay 1800 bucks for all of their books and access to their Q-bank, videos, practices, and the AAMC materials. I spent about 3 months aggressively studying content and going through all of the 7 book series (I followed Kap's schedule which was 1 week of CARS, 1 week of C/P, 1 week of bio, and 1 week of psych repeated 3 times). During this time I did 1 full length per week, every Saturday. Then I took Saturday night off, reviewed my full length answers on Sunday morning, and also took Sunday evening and night off.
  • I only used Kaplan and AAMC. I also used the EK101 Verbal book which was highly recommended on here and I did think was very good. Occasionally if I thought Kaplan's explanation wasn't enough I would check out the relevant Khan videos.
  • Kaplan - 502, 500, 502, 502, 503, 506, 509, 509
  • AAMC Full Length - 66% / 89% / 82% / 78%
  • I also did the AAMC question packs but I can't remember my scores and don't have access to see them anymore. I highly recommend all AAMC material though (which should go without saying considering they make the tests).
  • Khan academy passages aren't especially representative of the style of MCAT questions, but they do make for great content review.
  • It was biology. I graduated in 2013. I am a graduate student in biology now, which was MASSIVELY helpful. At least in my graduate school, almost all of my science classes have primarily focused on experimental design, research techniques, reading primary lit, etc. Grad school and my fairly extensive research experience are definitely big reasons I did so well in B/B. I also had a bit of a chip on my shoulder due to a C in undergrad biochem.

• I did this while working full time, and so can you! It isn't easy, and you will need a lot of discipline to get up way too early and study before work and then keep it going for several hours after work, but it is doable. If anyone has specific questions on the full time work/MCAT studying balance feel free to PM me. Just remember - 14 hour days seem ****ty now, but they are still easier than your surgical rotation is going to be.
  • Listen to your brain and take some breaks. I'm not encouraging slacking, but if you find yourself completely exhausted and forcing yourself to read some chapter that you are barely comprehending, then stop! Maybe switch to flash cards or non-passage questions or Khan videos. Maybe even take the day off and study extra the following two days. I don't suggest taking extended breaks from studying, but its always better to do something like than you are benefitting from rather than something heavy that you aren't retaining.
  • Most important tip - The MCAT is NOT a chemistry test, a reading test, a biology test, and a psychology test taken serially. The MCAT is really just a critical reading/thinking exam. Master CARS and take the same approach to the other sections as you take in CARS. They are exactly the same with the only difference being that the non-CARS sections require some outside knowledge to be brought in and CARS does not. Be deliberate when bringing in outside knowledge though. 9 times out of 10 you can answer the biology question using the passage and not by remembering some little detail you are kicking yourself over. Only when you are absolutely certain that a question is stand alone and not answered in the passage should you start racking your brain for details.
  • I did 3 months of intensive content review with weekly practice tests followed by ~5 weeks of as many practice passages as I could get my hands on. If I could do it all again I would probably reduce the content time and increase the practice time.

If anyone has any specific questions please PM me! (I probably won't check this thread again).
Thought I'd chime in with my strategy especially because I really focused on getting the costs down because I was unemployed for the entire time I was doing my MCAT studying. I spent only ~$500 dollars on my prep. I also started studying at around the middle of May and took the very last September test date.

C/P: 131
CARS: 128
B/BC: 128
P/S: 130
Total: 517

C/P
The shift to a more biochem focused C/P section really worked in my favor. I have a strong chemical biology/inorganic chem background from grad school and so things like protein structures, metal analysis, M/M plots, lipid/carbohydrate/small molecule analysis, spectroscopy, and the synthesis/purifications were pretty easy for me from the get go, and didn't focus too much attention on those.

In terms of actual studying, I used 2012 Gen Chem and Physics TPR prep books (given to me so they were free, but these would be pretty cheap on amazon). I simply read through them, and jotted down important trends or the equations. I would then do stand alone questions using a 2012 TPR Hyperlearning book or the in class compendium I got for free. This really helped in familiarizing how to manipulate equations, and nail down concepts. When I felt comfortable with the material, I would try out some of the passages in the TPR HL again.

When I got closer to my test date (~1.5 months or so), I started mixing some of the AAMC Q-packs and Khan academy stand alone questions and passages, just so I can orient myself on the tone/style of the questions that might actually be asked.

I was really lucky that my actual test was very biochem/protein chem heavy, with gen chem/organic chem material that I was very comfortable with, and physics problems that were pretty simple plug and chug calculations.

CARS
I struggled the most with this section, both with the studying and in the actual test. I bought the 2015 TPR CARS book, but I realized after that all the content was exactly the same as the 2012 TPR verbal prep book... I also had the TPR hyperlearning verbal book. I spent the first month or so doing practice passages untimed and really focusing on getting questions right. But when I tried doing passages timed, I SUCKED. So first I would do passages with a 12 minute limit. I did my best to figure out the questions I typically got incorrectly (not reading questions/answer choices completely for instance... or the kinds of questions I usually missed).

When I was getting 5/6 questions right, I set my passage time limit to 10 minutes. Then from here, I had to now focus on the right way for me to quickly read through passages. For me, the most important thing was to read most of the passages word for word, except if examples were given. In which case I would highlight "For example" and scan through the examples. I realized that really understanding the tone/main idea of the passage was the easiest way to get answers correctly. The correct answers were mostly very obvious if you understand the tone of the author. Is he trying to persuade you to choose a side? Does he agree or disagree with a topic? Is he simply narrating a story?

Also, right before starting my CARS practice, I always wrote notes to myself telling me of all the things I keep doing wrong and things that I need to correct, so I can really focus on what I need to improve on.

Then, I switched to official AAMC prep material and khan academy passages when I was closer to the test date.

Last, tip. I suggest that you spread out your CARS practice. Do 3 or 4 passages each night, or every other night. This way, you can get constant practice while also getting some time to reflect on what you need to work on.

B/BC
I just memorized as much as I could, straight up from the kaplan biology and biochem prep books. I also tried to think of how different systems are connected to each other and how an imbalance in one system could affect another. So, if something is messed up with a specific hormone, what would happen to the liver, or muscles, or the lungs or kidneys? The last chapter of the kaplan biochem book I think is really really helpful. Everything is there for you and they're all really pretty simple to understand. There's just a lot of information to absorb. I also used the TPR Hyperlearning science book for my practice passages to nail down concepts. Much like the other sections, I used as much khan academy as I could and did the AAMC Q-banks. Khan academy is especially useful, because there are quite a few experimental type passages there and it really helped in getting into the mindset of seeing figures and understanding how the data is related to the pathway/hypothesis presented in the text. It was important for me too to keep reviewing all the chapters, so I would always try to "re-memorize" 2-3 chapters of my prep books every 2-3 nights, and then going back and re-reading specific topics after doing practice questions.

P/S
Again, just like B/BC, I just really focused on memorizing everything that I could from the TPR P/S prep book. There was also a word document of someone's notes on the khan academy videos, which I also used for a bit. This was the simplest section to prepare for, mainly because there wasn't much to work with haha I also did all the khan academy practice passages, and I thought those were very very good. There was a lot of experimental passages, and some of the questions were excellent in helping you understand the difference between different, but similar sounding terms.

Kaplan biology and biochemistry prep books, 2012 TPR Gen Chem and Physics prep books, 2012 TPR Hyperlearning science and verbal work book, 2012 TPR in class compendium, 2015 TPR CARS and P/S prep books, all of AAMC Q-banks, and khan academy passages.

TPR Demo - 501 (124/125/124/128)
TPR Review Test 1 - 500 (124/126/125/125)
TPR Review Test 2 - 503 (125/125/125/128)
NS 1 - 508 (127/125/128/128)
AAMC FL - 85%/89%/86%/85%
NS 3 - 509 (126/127/128/128)

BS Health Science Chemistry Minor, MA in Chemistry

1. ALWAYS HAVE A REST DAY. A lot of people think that going all out MCAT 24/7 is important when prepping, and I disagree. I always took Friday nights off and never started studying until afternoon of Saturday, because I know I would get lazy and burnt out if all I did and think about was the MCAT. You need to be healthy physically and mentally to properly prepare for this test, and if what you need is a day off every week to get into that groove, so be it.

2. 2-3 hour bursts of intense studying is way better than forcing yourself to study for 10 hours straight. Maybe this is just me, but I lose focus after maybe an hour or so of staring at my prep book and trying to memorize all the crap on there. So again this goes back to being in the right mindset. You need to figure out the study schedule that could best maximize your time. For me, it was hardcore memorizing for 1:30-4:30 in the afternoon, then I wouldn't do any studying until 9 pm.

3. Spread out your practice passages!!! Don't binge practice all your Q-packs and khan passages in 4 days!!! Do 3 passages of physics, 3 of chem, 5 of bio, 3 of CARS and 3 of P/S, or whatever. Just make sure you're practicing every day a month or so leading to your MCAT.

4. Do your practice FLs with timed test taking conditions. That means your sections are timed, and your breaks are timed as well. No stopping the test in the middle of CARS because you gotta pee! Also, practice your entire MCAT day! This was really important for me, because I have a weak bladder and I gotta pee very often. When I did my FLs, I would wake up the time that I would for the real test, and have breakfast that I would eat for the actual day of the test, so I know that I'll have my breaks by the time I gotta use the bathroom. This is extra neurotic, I know, but you gotta know your body! The test is already really stressful as it is, so if timing your bathroom breaks accordingly will reduce your overall stress level, then do what you gotta do!

5. Also, practice writing the equation sheet/notes you want to have for each section! This way you already know which equations you want to write, where it would be written on your scratch paper so it'll be easy to find later, and also figure out if you have enough time and space to write down all the notes you want!

6. Be aggressive with using Process of Elimination. It'll save you a ton of time.

7. If you don't know the equation what equation to use to solve a problem, check the units of the answers! That's a good hint to see what values you'll need to multiply/divide together.

8. HAVE FUN!!! JK that's impossible this test is as horrible as it can get.

~5 months
Hi do you have a day by day schedule that you made?

My first time posting on SDN, felt like contributing back here since I used this a lot when I was studying : ). I originally took the old MCAT and devastatingly got a 26. I was heartbroken and demoralized because I was scoring about 32’s on my practice tests. I picked my head up, got focused, learned more discipline, and began studying for the new mcat. I could not be prouder of myself or my new score!
Hopefully I can offer tips to some of you.

1) Your individual scores and composite score: 514 (128 / 129 / 125 / 132)
2) The study method used for each section.

3) What materials you used for each section(Kaplan, TPR, Examkrackers, AAMC, TBR, etc).

My study schedule:
- Prep Course 3x a week, 4 hours each class. The one I used is only located in LA and called Swartwood, which I highly recommend.
- Individual studying additional 3 hours on days when I had class, and 7 hours on days when I didn’t have class. Saturdays were my "light" days, in which I only studied 3 hours total. I recommend writing out a weekly schedule with exact times allocated for studying, for eating, for breaks, etc. so you have something tangible you can stick to.
I did this for 3 months.

In my opinion, you should only take the full, online practice tests that simulate the real format. I took 3-4 of ExamKrackers full online tests, 2 GS practice tests, 2 tests from my prep company, and lastly the official AAMC one. I think the EK and GS tests were a lot harder than the real one, but they help build your test endurance. The more tests you take, the better! More on this further down.

5) What was your undergraduate major? Biology

I think it is important to understand the “mental game” of the MCAT. This test is far more than just content memorization and regurgitation. Start taking practice tests early, like way before you finish content, and you will naturally learn how so much of the test is reading graphs/charts and finding patterns. I took my first practice test about 1 month before my test (3 weeks before I finished content studying). I ended up being ok, but I still wish I started earlier. I suggest taking your first practice test 1.5 months before your real mcat. Do NOT be afraid to start taking practice tests way before you've learned all the content!!! By the time you take your MCAT you should have done at least 10 practice tests, obviously with increasing frequency as your test date nears. This will improve your test endurance, and help you learn your weak/strong areas so you can allocate studying time accordingly. The week before your mcat I recommend ONLY doing/reviewing the actual AAMC tests so you get very familiar with the way AAMC asks questions.

- Find a good place to study-
This is important from the first day of studying. I changed the whole layout of my room just to help me have a better place to study at nights, and through trial and error found the best libraries that worked for me. Find a few local libraries or coffee shops with good wifi and nice food options nearby that you can make into your normal study spot. A good studying environment does wonders on helping you focus, and on your final score.

-CARS-
This section should not be underestimated. It’s funny to think how many hundreds of pages of content we spend laboring over, when 1/4th of your score (CARS) is based on absolutely zero content. I think a lot of people neglect studying for CARS as thoroughly as the other sections, which is a mistake. A bad CARS score can completely destroy your MCAT score even if you know all the content in the world.
I did 2 passages a day from the “ExamKrackers 101 passages in MCAT” , every day except Saturday, at the beginning of every studying session. This takes no more than 30 minutes/day (reviewing your mistakes and all), and if you stick to it for 2-3 months, you are almost guaranteed to get a good score! After all those passages this section will become second nature to you, and your confidence will take you a long way during the real test. Stay disciplined and do not take more than 1 day off/week, it’ll be worth it.

-PSYCH/SOC-
I used Khan academy, and mainly a youtube channel called CrashCourse for Psychology and Sociology! I am a very visual learner, and studying all of psych/soc through videos helped me retain the information so well. Not to mention it was actually pretty fun. I HIGHLY recommend the entire CrashCourse series on youtube for Psychology and Sociology.
In the real test, you’ll see terms that you’ve never encountered before. These are designed to throw you off and should be ignored. Stick to the psych/soc concepts and terms you know and you’ll be fine.

3 months

Hope I helped!

Reactions: 1 users
I scored a 513, with 128 in C/P, 132 in CARS, 129 in BB, and 124 in P/S.

I used Kaplan for everything. I've heard elsewhere that they lack in the P/S section, my score reflects that. So maybe use something else for P/S?

I took Kaplans diagnostic and 2 full lengths. On the diagnostic I scored 487, FL 1 was 490, FL2 was 504.

My undergraduate major is straight up biology.

Tips I have: be confident. I did not get enough time to study and used a 4 week period only to study. During that 4 week period I was still working 25 hours a week. I probably only got 100 hours total of study time. The difference I noticed between me and the rest of the people in my testing center was level of worry. You could see how this test was eating alive the other test takers with worry. I went in with confidence that I studied to the best of my abilities and could retake it if need be. So my best tip is find a happy place in your mind, go there when you are stressed, and put everything else aside.

Wow, that's a great score to get with only one month of studying! Did you also do the AAMC material? (the two tests, section banks, Q-packs etc) What do you think led to a good score despite the short time period you had to study? Are you naturally good at standardized tests or did you come in with a strong science background already?
Hope you can help! Thanks :)

1) 511 total 127 PC | 130 CARS | 128 Bio | 126 Psy/Soc
2) Never studied
3) Never looked at any materials
4) Never took a practice test
5) Majored in Bio + Latin, Minored in Chem
6) I would recommend studying, even though I did not study
7) Never

I meant to study, but I was really busy - and I figured I would just see how I did. I got a competitive-ish score, and went with it. I only got into one med school.

2) Never studied
7) Never

I meant to study, but I was really busy - and I figured I would just see how I did. I got a competitive-ish score, and went with it. I only got into one med school.
Unhelpful.

Reactions: 26 users
Members don't see this ad :)

512: 126/128/128/130

C/P: Kaplan, but I didn't do nearly as much studying for this as I wanted to, just did some practice problems here and there (it showed)
CARS: I didn't study for this section, ran out of time. (I tend to be decent at this type of thing so tbh I didn't bother with it)
B/B: I took a lot of upper div classes, most notably molecular biology right before the MCAT. I wanted to be forced to study the same material for an actual grade to save time, so I planned my schedule to have most of the info I needed to know for this section to be learned in a class the quarter before the MCAT. I also answered a few of the AAMC questions in the question packs here and there.
P/S: I took Psych 1 the quarter before the MCAT (same reasoning as B/B for me), and studied the Kaplan Sociology chapters. I also watched some Khan academy (something to do while running at the gym)

See above

I took the AAMC full length non-scored before I actually started studying, according to raw score conversions I scored about 510 (unsure how accurate those conversions are though).

The weekend before, I took the full length scored AAMC test and scored 515, so I felt I was okay to go take the test (previously I had been thinking about postponing since I only really studied about a month at that point)

I double majored in Human Biology and Molecular/Cell/Developmental Biology

I really recommend taking classes that have the same MCAT material, particularly the upper division versions. It saved me a lot of time self-studying for bio and psych.

I do regret only spending one month on self studying, I feel I could have done a little better with another month of work. However, I was adamant on getting everything done within a specific time frame, including work/graduation/MCAT/apps/etc.

I think you need to know yourself and how you study best. For me, I've always been decent at standardized testing, so I wanted to focus on knowing material rather than testing strategies.

When I actually did self-study, I specifically scheduled it in. At the time, I had like 4 part time jobs and was a full time student, so I had my daily schedule planned down to the 15 minute mark. If I had more than a few minutes, I whipped out a kaplan book and would read a few paragraphs. I would do this if the teacher was late, if I was waiting for the bus, on the bus, etc. I watched Khan academy videos at the gym, listened to them in the shower, etc. My partner also probably knows a decent amount of the material for the MCAT because I talked to him about it like every day, all the time. For the one month I studied, I lived and breathed MCAT material and I think it paid off.

Make sure to breathe and exercise while hyping up for the test. (although I tend to have a very low level of testing anxiety so take that with a grain of salt)

I only really studied about a month, most of my studying came from taking classes that had the same material on it the quarter before (highly recommend if you need to kill two birds with one stone due to being super busy)

Total hours might have been like 100-150, but I really crammed it in and thought about material constantly.

2) Never studied
7) Never

Actually that is helpful to hear from someone who didn't study in addition to all the people who did study. I always wonder how many people are just testing cold, and it is interesting to hear the experience of someone like that. Thanks for taking the time to share and good luck in medical school!

Thanks to everyone who took the time to share on this thread, it has been really helpful to read through!

Thanks to everyone who took the time to share on this thread, it has been really helpful to read through!
This guy obviously had a lot of the content under his belt in undergrad (or he could be untruthful) either way, my first time around going in cold, I got a 490 or 491 I can't even remember anymore. Long story short, I'm looking at a retake. ;)

But from what I can tell so far - doing as many practice passages is the way to go.

This guy obviously had a lot of the content under his belt in undergrad (or he could be untruthful) either way, my first time around going in cold, I got a 490 or 491 I can't even remember anymore. Long story short, I'm looking at a retake. ;)

But from what I can tell so far - doing as many practice passages is the way to go.
I am not being untruthful - I really never even opened the kaplan books once (I did torrent them though - just never opened the pdf).

I was under a lot of stress at the time with a huge course load, student teaching, work and research. Probably the worst part about going in blind is that I didn't even know the format of the test, so I had to read all of the instructions - which wasted a lot of time. Another thing I wished I had studied were some physics formulas - because I kind of had to wing it and try to derive the formulas during the test.

I would recommend if someone is not going to study, to at least take one practice test first and commit some physics equations to memory - as this would have really aided me.

I am not being untruthful - I really never even opened the kaplan books once (I did torrent them though - just never opened the pdf).

I was under a lot of stress at the time with a huge course load, student teaching, work and research. Probably the worst part about going in blind is that I didn't even know the format of the test, so I had to read all of the instructions - which wasted a lot of time. Another thing I wished I had studied were some physics formulas - because I kind of had to wing it and try to derive the formulas during the test.

I would recommend if someone is not going to study, to at least take one practice test first and commit some physics equations to memory - as this would have really aided me.
Considering you got a 511 without studying and a 130 on CARS are you planning on retaking it? I could see you easily getting 517+ which is competitive for any school in the country.

Considering you got a 511 without studying and a 130 on CARS are you planning on retaking it? I could see you easily getting 517+ which is competitive for any school in the country.
I don't plan on retaking it as I've gotten into my in state school - and I don't want to put off going to med school for another year (already took a gap year). If I hadn't gotten into any md schools I would have re-evaluated my decisions hard core though.

524 (131,131,131,131)
Started with content review using EK book set first, went from there. Not sure I have any section specific pointers, but would recommend EK's CARS book.
EK books + KA videos and AK lectures to reinforce weak points. Would highly recommend both, especially because Khan Academy is free and Sal Kahn is a great dude to listen to.
AAMC FL 1: 513 (2 months out, after wrapping up content review)
AAMC FL 2: 516 week of exam. The biggest reason for the discrepancy between this and my actual score was the Psych/ Soc section, in which I drastically outperformed on the real thing compared to what I had done on any practice.
Non trad, health sciences type field
Review your mistakes, understand them, and do not repeat them. On test day, mark questions liberally and use all the time. Keep going back to them to ensure you end up with your best answer. A lot of questions need a 2nd or 3rd pass to make the answer clear. Do not be in a rush to go anywhere, and that includes using all the allotted break time.
about 6 months of varying intensity, first 4 were leisurely content review and two months of buckling down. Even then, I was still working full time, so I did 2-3 hours per night weeknights and about 6-7ish on both weekend days. But the quality of those hours is >>>>> quantity. Do not be afraid to take a night or day off if you feel you need it.

Last edited:
Reactions: 7 users
AAMC FL 1: 513 (2 months out, after wrapping up content review)
AAMC FL 2: 516 week of exam. The biggest reason for the discrepancy between this and my actual score was the Psych/ Soc section, in which I drastically outperformed on the real thing compared to what I had done on any practice.
Did EK 3 as well, was good practice but no predictive value. Not sure its worth $50.

Congrats on performing so well on your official exam! I'm curious as to what your AAMC FL breakdowns/percentages were...

Congrats on performing so well on your official exam! I'm curious as to what your AAMC FL breakdowns/percentages were...
129-130s for Bio/CP, 130+ for CARS, 127 is for psych soc. My official was heavy on sociology and experimental design/reasoning, which I think played to my relative strengths.

Any tips for getting the most out of AAMC FLs?
I spent 2-3x the time spent taking on reviewing them thoroughly for content and test taking strategy. Would use these materials exclusively going into test, and tbh I did just fine without buying other practices.

2) Never studied
7) Never

People like you make me mad.

People like you make me mad.
Well you don't know how recent much of their prereq coursework was, how lucky they got, or how often they read (to help with CARS and P/S in particular). It's not helpful though because most aren't in the right circumstance or likely to get a 511 cold.

You prob have little reason to be jealous tho

Last edited:
Well you don't know how recent much of their prereq coursework was, how lucky they got, or how often they read (to help with CARS and P/S in particular). It's not helpful though because most aren't in the right circumstance or likely to get a 511 cold.

You prob have little reason to be jealous tho
I have to work so hard to get good grades, it doesn't come easy for me - especially test prep. I'm proud of my GPAs, I earned my degree.

My ACT score performance is probably equivalent to my MCAT score, it's unfortunate my MCAT score holds more weight in terms of my career future. I know I'm more intelligent than my MCAT score dictates - it's hard to argue that in an interview though, especially since I'm screened out of every interview opportunity. Oh well, I think the limit is 7 MCAT re-takes, right? There's always tomorrow!

I have to work so hard to get good grades, it doesn't come easy for me - especially test prep. I'm proud of my GPAs, I earned my degree.

My ACT score performance is probably equivalent to my MCAT score, it's unfortunate my MCAT score holds more weight in terms of my career future. I know I'm more intelligent than my MCAT score dictates - it's hard to argue that in an interview though, especially since I'm screened out of every interview opportunity. Oh well, I think the limit is 7 MCAT re-takes, right? There's always tomorrow!
Then work hard and work smart to get an acceptable MCAT. It's what I'm doing. The speed and accuracy of your reasoning are only somewhat negotiable, but your study habits and your attitude are far more negotiable skills and can help carry you to a decent MCAT.

But if you're as intelligent as you think you are, you should be able to come up with ways to tackle the test and do decently.

Of course the MCAT is an entirely different ball-game than the ACT. You have pleeenty of people who did poorly in high school sitting for the ACT or SAT, while most sitting for the MCAT did a decent job in college level chemistry, biology, and physics. And I did great on the SAT but it ain't **** compared to a passable MCAT score. Why would adcoms ever want to consider using an exam watered down by people who do poorly in high school that has no direct bearing on medical school?

Fix your attitude - stop reminding me of myself on bad days. Stop focusing on others and focus on what you can do differently. If you wanna be a doctor, you should be able to change things up and be more successful.

Last edited:
Sorry for the long reply below!

1) 522 – 131/128/132/131
CARS - Oh my goodness, that's always a crapshoot. I felt like the exam was pretty straightforward, so I think those of us who took the April 23 exam couldn't miss a lot of questions without drastically dropping our scores
2) See Below
3) Kaplan for catching up on old course work, TBR for sciences, Khan for everything, Khan, TPR, Kaplan, EK for SS, EK for CARS (and practice) AAMC questions for practice
4) NS 1 – 510, NS Diagnostic – 516, NS 2 - 515, NS 3 – 515, NS 4 – 514
EK 3 – 81/75/81/85, EK 4 – 95/68/78/66, EK 1 – 84/77/78/78
AAMC Practice - 90/91/88/86, AAMC FL 1 -519 - 131/128/131/129, AAMC FL 2 - 521 - 132/130/130/129
5) Civil Engineering - Princeton - LONG time ago.
6) Practice Practice Practice – don’t be afraid to put it off if needed. Don't underestimate the time it takes to check in/out. Bring FOOD (sheesh - I can't believe the number of people who forgot to bring food).
7) 15 weeks of “official practice” – see below

BEST ADVICE --> Shadow a doctor during your reviews. Remind yourself of why you are doing this. I started shadowing a doctor about 6 weeks before the exam and kept going through the exam day (and even plan to go in twice this week). Meeting with patients kept me going and reminded me of WHY I am on this journey. I'm a perfectionist and would have loved a perfect score, but I told myself the week of the exam that I am doing this to get into medical school. I will do the best I can and whatever score I get, as long as I get an interview and into medical school, the actual score does not matter.

LONG Story on how I came to this place - starts one year ago

When I first considered going back to school (1 year ago), I was torn between PhD - some kind of engineering - and MD. I signed up for Organic Chemistry, so I purchased the Kaplan MCAT set and started listening to the Khan Academy videos on Chemistry and Organic Chemistry. I tried to use the Kaplan books to review everything I had forgotten in the 20 years since I used my Chemistry.

I had a 2.5 hour drive to school and would stay with extended family during the week before driving 30 minutes to school and 30 minutes back. Then I'd drive 2.5 hours home and volunteer on the weekends as well as go in to work. On those drives I listened to Khan Academy videos, trying to stick with the videos relevant to what I was learning that semester. On my longer drives I listened to the Psych and Sociology videos as organic chemistry can get a bit dry after 2.5 hours. I did the same thing during the semester I took Advanced Biochem 1, Cell Bio, and Genetics. So I wasn't officially studying for the MCAT, but I was trying to reinforce everything I was learning in class. I also had a shower speaker and listened to videos when I took showers. I basically immersed myself in it.

Over Christmas break I tried to get through some material, but I found it incredibly difficult to concentrate. I gave myself two weeks off then somehow forced myself to get through the Kaplan books for physics, which I hadn't taken in 15 years, and the social sciences. But nothing official - just review. I started freaking out about physics at that point.

I started my "official" studying the week I started my last semester - 15 weeks before the exam. I had nearly the same schedule as the semester before, but with just one class - Advanced Biochem 2 - twice a week. I continued working in lab a few times a week and volunteering on weekends. I threw in some physician shadowing the last 6 weeks before the exam (this actually kept me sane - it reminded me why I was studying). I still had a 2.5 hour drive up and back each week, so I started listening to the Yale Psych 101 class on iTunes U and then added Physiology and Physics classes from UC San Diego's podcasts. I listened to those over the course of 15 weeks. I created a 15 week schedule using TBR, based on some other schedules I had seen. I started with one chapter from physics and did 3-5 passages. Then the next day I read one chapter from Gen Chem, then Bio, then Organic Chem, etc., one chapter a day when possible (I got through maybe 5 to 6 chapters a week, max). I also added TPR's psych book and did one chapter each week. I had to skip a lot of days, but I was able to finish the books by spring break. I took a Nextstep practice exam right after class to gauge how i was doing (510 on first, 516 on half test two days later). After spring break I started taking 2 practice exams a week - Tuesday and Thursday (I SO wish I had more time to do practice exams and in a more "normal" environment - I was really trying to cram them in and school was not conducive to practice tests), then re-reviewed the books, completing only a passage or two on non-exam days. I also started with the AAMC practice material and prioritized the Section Bank (holy cow, those were harder than I was expecting) and the CARS question bank. I tried to do one or two passages from each Section Bank category and then 2 CARS practice passages each day (when I wasn't doing a practice exam). I didn't time myself on exams (pointless at school), but I did review them thoroughly the next day. I threw in the question bank questions when I could. By the day before the exam, I had completed all the AAMC questions.

I took my final TIMED practice exam the weekend before (AAMC FL 2), trying to keep everything as similar to the real exam as possible (I think I like the idea of mostly non-timed exams with the three AAMC exams taken in realistic timed environments. You need to learn whether you CAN answer the questions without the time limit, then learn how to answer them faster). After that, I crammed as much content review into the last week as possible, but forced myself to stop studying Thursday night. I took Friday completely off an enjoyed the day, only taking 15 minutes that evening to write down all the equations i planned on using.

So that was it. I was originally planning to apply to the military school (USU) this year and knew this was my last year of eligibility, so I had to get everything in. I tried to immerse myself in the material and assess my weaknesses periodically. I am NOT good at memorizing, but I am good at recognizing what I need to do to answer a problem and I'm a very good problem solver, so the new form of the test played to that strength. The hardest part was content review and relearning physics. Oh my goodness, I had the hardest time with physics. I'm a flipping engineer. I have passed two engineering licensing tests. Physics should NOT be an issue, and yet I still found it difficult.

I also threw in EK Verbal and EK psych. There's one thing I have learned this year and that is that you will NEVER know every single possible psychology or sociology term regardless of how much review you do. It's just not possible. I still can't believe the number of terms that come up that I've never heard and I've been through every single Khan Academy video twice as well as TPR, Kaplan, and EK. Hats off to anyone scoring a 132 in that section.

If I had more time, I would have preferred to add in Khan passages for more content review and maybe I would have started CARS review earlier. But I found that CARS was kind of a crap shoot for me. I would score high one day then moderate the next. I seemed to do better on the AAMC materials than other practice exams, but it wasn't as consistent as the other three sections (I should add that I was consistently getting 127-129 on the SS section, so who knows where the 131 came from). If I had the opportunity, I would have started studying earlier and studied less each day. I would have also taken a week or two off in the middle (like, maybe I would have thrown caution to the wind and taken all of spring break off). I was really crunched for time. It paid off, but sometimes i think I would have been at least a little saner coming out of the exam if I'd had a little bit more time behind me.

As far as practice exams go, I completed NS 1-4, EK 1, 3, 4 (don't bother with 4 unless you have done the others and have money to burn), and all AAMC FLs.

Hope that helps! I think everyone has different study habits and a different set of preferred books, but I found the TBR set really prepared me for the style of questions - plus, the shear number of passages gave me plenty to practice with.

Reactions: 4 users

Thanks!

I did not find the Kaplan books all that helpful, and their questions at the end of the section were pointless. I used an older version of The Berkeley Review, but I would get the new version in a heartbeat. Just skip the verbal book. The new set is worth the extra cost and their passages and practice questions are very similar to the real exam. That will give you a lot of practice and some great content review. The ordering system seems to be a pain, but maybe call them up and see if you can order over the phone?

Also, shout out to Berkeley because of their inclusion of some "low yield" material in their sections. I found their bio sections perhaps a little too short -BUT - they covered a few things that were on the exam and many people complained about them being "low yield" topics. They seem to know what is really important and what is less so.

522 (129/131/131/131)

Practice test results:
AAMC FL1: 516 (after they redid the curve)
AAMC FL2: 522

Study regimen:
Planned to study 20 hours a week for 16 weeks; ended up studying about 15 hours a week for 16 weeks.

Products I bought:
AAMC Online-Only Official MCAT® Prep Bundle - I was pretty unhappy when I saw the cost of this, but trust me, you need it.
I did not buy any other prep materials.

Study method:
I started with the section I knew would be the easiest for me, and ended with the section I knew would be the hardest. Good way to keep myself from getting discouraged.

CARS: I used the QPacks and the Khan Academy passages (https://www.khanacademy.org/test-prep/mcat) to practice for CARS. My breakthrough came when I slowed way down and started reading the passages very carefully, absorbing every word. You cannot skim or speedread CARS passages and hope to see success.

P/S: I have never taken a psych or soci course, but that's OK, as the psych and soci on the MCAT are not advanced and studying mostly consists of learning vocab. I used Google and Wikipedia to study for this section. I always had the AAMC's "What's on the MCAT Exam?" open in one window, while I typed each topic on the list into Google. I read whichever site the search took me to, even if it was Wikipedia. Wikipedia is actually pretty helpful for P/S, because you can click on all the related articles and learn even more vocab! Especially do this for operant and classical conditioning; it's useful to learn all the related terms.

B/B: I used Khan Academy. I had the AAMC's "What's on the MCAT Exam?" open in one window, while I typed each topic on the list + Khan Academy into Google, then viewed the KA lesson or video that came up. I also found animated videos on YouTube to be helpful as they allowed me to visualize biochemical reactions and other processes that have an element of spatial reasoning.

C/P: This section took me the longest to study for. Near the beginning of my studies I made myself a little notebook full of amino acid structures and facts, to which I later added the nucleotides and some physics formulas. I memorized it on the bus.

As with the other content-based sections, while studying for this section I always had the AAMC's "What's on the MCAT Exam?" open in one window, while I typed each topic on the list into Google. I used various resources that came up, including Khan Academy and a bunch of academic websites - Hyperphysics being the most helpful of these. Animated videos are incredibly useful for understanding physics concepts, and there are tons on YouTube.

How I used my AAMC materials:
Sample Test to get a baseline after one week of studying
QPacks and Section Bank sections after studying the corresponding section
Practice Tests during the last month of study

General study tips:
- Temporarily quit all your volunteer activities during your study period if possible, but don't cut back on exercise or sleep!
- Some unavoidable distraction will always come up, so leave yourself more time than you really need to study.

Yes! I finally get to post in this thread. My mcat journey began three years ago, after graduation, I tried rushing to take the old MCAT exam. Fell into the trap of only doing content review and 2 weeks before my exam decided to take a aamc practice test, thinking that I was going to do amazing. Ended up with like a practice test score of like 18 or something. Im pretty sure i didn't even break 5 on VR. It was bad so i voided. Started to question my intelligence. So I decided to take the new mcat, keep in mind was working full time in a lab so studying was difficult but I decided to only take practice tests as my method of study for 2 months. I barely reviewed the tests. Took about 7 practice tests without content review and got a 504. I probably could have applied last year since I am URM but decided to be patient and work harder. Signed up for a test the following year. I knew CARs would be a problem so I mostly read dense books for most of the year ( philosophy). 4 Months prior to my new exam date, I started to fill out the AAMC content outline for each section by using Khan academy videos and google. People emphasize like 20% content review or 30%, It should really be 50%. You have to know your stuff. I took 14 practice exams and I didn't really review again but I had my content outline study sheet which was enough. For those that work full time, I would start my full lengths after i got out of work around 6 and finish around 1-2am. The process was exhausting but I had other things going on like marathon training which definitely helped keep my mind off.

MCAT : 512 (128/125/129/130)

NS:
1:508
2:510
3:509
4:505

Altius: Took 6 Full lengths averaged around 505.

AAMC Sample : 61%/70%/80%/80%

AAMC FL 2: 513

Oh, and more thing. I took every full length open notes. One shouldn't spend any time during the studying process to memorize stuff. Trust me. If you practice a lot everything that you used during your practice tests from the open notes would be ingrained in your head. In addition, I took the AAMC fl 2 a week before my test untimed. I just wanted to be relaxed while taking the exam because I know the MCAT is mostly mental, if i took it timed, my exam score would have probably been around the 505-509 range which would not help with confidence going into test day. So try to relax and not freak out during the test because it definitely affects your score. I started meditating 2 weeks prior to my exam to help with this. Alright, not sure this helps but best of luck to you all! If you put in the work, the MCAT is easy.

Last edited:
Yes! I finally get to post in this thread. My mcat journey began three years ago, after graduation, I tried rushing to take the old MCAT exam. Fell into the trap of only doing content review and 2 weeks before my exam decided to take a aamc practice test, thinking that I was going to do amazing. Ended up with like a practice test score of like 18 or something. Im pretty sure i didn't even break 5 on VR. It was bad so i voided. Started to question my intelligence. So I decided to take the new mcat, keep in mind was working full time in a lab so studying was difficult but I decided to only take practice tests as my method of study for 2 months. I barely reviewed the tests. Took about 7 practice tests without content review and got a 504. I probably could have applied last year since I am URM but decided to be patient and work harder. Signed up for a test the following year. I knew CARs would be a problem so I mostly read dense books for most of the year ( philosophy). 4 Months prior to my new exam date, I started to fill out the AAMC content outline for each section by using Khan academy videos and google. People emphasize like 20% content review or 30%, It should really be 50%. You have to know your stuff. I took 14 practice exams and I didn't really review again but I had my content outline study sheet which was enough. For those that work full time, I would start my full lengths after i got out of work around 6 and finish around 1-2am. The process was exhausting but I had other things going on like marathon training which definitely helped keep my mind off.

NS:

Oh, and more thing. I took every full length open notes. One shouldn't spend any time during the studying process to memorize stuff. Trust me. If you practice a lot everything that you used during your practice tests from the open notes would be ingrained in your head. In addition, I took the AAMC fl 2 a week before my test untimed. I just wanted to be relaxed while taking the exam because I know the MCAT is mostly mental, if i took it timed, my exam score would have probably been around the 505-509 range which would not help with confidence going into test day. So try to relax and not freak out during the test because it definitely affects your score. I started meditating 2 weeks prior to my exam to help with this. Alright, not sure this helps but best of luck to you all! If you put in the work, the MCAT is easy.

NS:

Congrats! How did you think this test compared to the old one? I took the old one dry, without studying at all because I was cocky and thought I was king, and got a 25 (8/8/9)... I'm taking the exam in August and am wondering if it's of a similar difficulty.

Congrats! How did you think this test compared to the old one? I took the old one dry, without studying at all because I was cocky and thought I was king, and got a 25 (8/8/9)... I'm taking the exam in August and am wondering if it's of a similar difficulty.

I never really put the time in the old AAMC practice tests to really make a decision comparing the old and new exams. If you got a 25 without studying then you should be good with that as a baseline score. I prefer the new exams because the passages are directly from basic science research articles. Since I work in a lab, the language was easy for me to decipher whereas the old MCAT had boring mundane passages about a particular topic. The only downside with the new exam is the length, so you have to factor in stamina, too. Can your brain handle 6+ hrs of pure focused thinking? So work on stamina and just knowing almost every topic in the AAMC content outline and you should be good. Good Luck.

I spoke with one woman who had taken the old exam. She preferred the newer exam for two reasons. First, on the old exam, there was less time per question and she indicated that she had a much more difficult time finishing each section. Second, she was a psych major and the additional section was a bonus. Of course, this is second-hand.

Hey guys, I'll be taking the mcat August 18th and I started studying a month ago. I took the PR Demo exam before touching a book and got a 493 (123 across the board but 124 in psych/soc). I can already tell CARS is going to be my hardest subject (guessed a bunch right on TPR demo exam lol) and haven't seen much improvement. I'll be taking my first actual practice exam tomorrow so I'll update you guys on how that goes. Long story short I need a 126 on CARS but am kind of worried tbh, yes I know I'm two months out but I'm sure some of you guys know that feeling. Do you have any strategies that would be good for the 126-127 range? Idk maybe spending extra time on easy passages to get the far majority right then guess on the hardest? Thanks homies

Search KoalaT golden rule on SDN and try that out @Jbeachay I personally really like it and think it'll helpp. Also in the future try to avoid posting here for help as it's meant for other stuff but good luck and hope that thread helps, it's got a lot of helpful tips.

I scored a 29 on the old mcat as an undergrad. Content in Chem and physics was pretty good, verbal/cars was solid, and bio could've been a lot better. I was getting between 32-35 on practice exams and finishing each section with seconds left. I had to guess the final passage in each section on the real deal because of time constraints. Passages were longer throughout. Given a little more time per passage, I think I could have scored well within my practice test range. I havent taken the new exam yet but I've been studying/practicing and the extra time makes a huge difference. My opinion is that the new test is more difficult to study for on account of info volume, but easier to score well on if you learn content adequately.

C/p: 131 cars: 132 b/b: 130 p/s: 131 (524)
See 3
TPR self paced (broke up modules doing 2-3 a week with more intense studying during the first month, ~1 module per day), a little khan for biochem metabolism
TPR ~508 was maybe the highest of the five tests I took. Next step free test 512. 517 and 515 on the aamc tests
Chemical engineering
Watch khan in your free time! It's free and so good. Take lots of practice tests. It gets easier and you build up stamina.
1 month intense studying
4 months studying about 2 modules a week and a practice test on the weekend

2) Never studied
7) Never

Seriously? Grow up. You should reconsider becoming someone who devotes their life to "helping" others.

1) 517 (129,128,130,130) started from 502 diagnostic test!
2&3) C/P: read examkrackers book, did every question, all aamc materials. This was my weakest section starting out, and improved when I went over everything from scratch, relearning what an electronic and so forth.
Cars: Khan academy questions, all aamc materials, next step (wouldn't recommend). I reviewed only the questions I got wrong (in the other sections, I reviewed all questions) in order to build confidence in my line of logic on the ones I got right.
B/B: I had never taken biochem so I watched all the Khan academy videos on it and spent the first week learning it. Reviewed biology on specific topics using khan academy and examkrackers. All aamc materials for both.
P/S: this section was my strongest to start out with, did some flash cards in the last week and did all aamc materials. I practiced in real life by labeling situations by the psych/soc concept and reasoning why it wasn't a similar concept. This was super helpful in making the academic words mean something.

4)all 4 Berkeley review, 5 ek, 2.5 aamc (513, 515), 1 kaplan
5) majored in biology (physio) and psychology
6) Use what you're studying in real life! It's all about application of basic science knowledge in different situations!
7) 6 weeks full-time :) I wish I could have studied longer because my scores were still improving and hadn't plateaued yet, but I understood that after a certain score it's more important to get your application in faster.

Feel free to ask me any questions!

Last edited:
I would love to hear from people that didn't start out with such high scores... :/

I know the post was from a while ago, but I was able to improve my score by 15 points! The key for me was being able to study full time. I'd highly recommend working extra shifts before, and then dropping everything during the weeks of studying.

C/p: 131 cars: 132 b/b: 130 p/s: 131 (524)
See 3
TPR self paced (broke up modules doing 2-3 a week with more intense studying during the first month, ~1 module per day), a little khan for biochem metabolism
TPR ~508 was maybe the highest of the five tests I took. Next step free test 512. 517 and 515 on the aamc tests
Chemical engineering
Watch khan in your free time! It's free and so good. Take lots of practice tests. It gets easier and you build up stamina.
1 month intense studying
4 months studying about 2 modules a week and a practice test on the weekend

Awesome! How did you increase your score so much from the AAMC official practice tests?

I used this forum to help me during my prep so I figured I'd leave what I learned for future test takers!

MCAT Score: 518 (129/129/130/130)

Study Methods:
  • Chemistry/Physics: split an Examkrackers chapter into two days and read through the chapters slowly to fully understand what I studied
  • CARS: did 2 passages per day until day of test; kept a record of what I got wrong; use KoalaT strategy!
  • Biology/Biochemistry: split an Examkrackers chapter into two days and read through the chapters slowly to fully understand what I studied; memorize amino acids; practice research-based passages from Examkrackers
  • Psychology/Sociology: split an Examkrackers chapter into two days and read through the chapters slowly to fully understand what I studied, especially all the terminology; review frequently
Materials:
  • For all content except CARS: Examkrackers manuals
  • CARS: NS Strategies and Practice; TPR CARS workbook; TPR in-class compendium
  • All AAMC materials
Practice Tests:
  • I only had time to do 4: Examkrackers 1, AAMC Sample, AAMC 1 (516), AAMC 2 (517)
Major: Biological Sciences

Tips:
  • Don't be demoralized! Sometimes CARS practice passages can be brutal when you get 3 or more questions wrong, but keep at it and you'll see improvement.
  • Content review is important! You need to have a solid foundation before you can hone in your reasoning skills. But memorizing every little detail like metabolic pathways is unnecessary.
Duration: 4.5 months as a full-time student

Awesome! How did you increase your score so much from the AAMC official practice tests?
Hi sorry this is late! I just wrote down what I got wrong specifically on the official tests and then I translated that to general subject areas I was weak in. Then I honestly just googled and watched khan academy in those areas and the rest was sheer luck and testing well under pressure I guess

Hi sorry this is late! I just wrote down what I got wrong specifically on the official tests and then I translated that to general subject areas I was weak in. Then I honestly just googled and watched khan academy in those areas and the rest was sheer luck and testing well under pressure I guess

Thanks for the reply! Yeah it seems targeting weaknesses is the real key to making gains!