40% of senior pharmacists at Walmart

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
D

deleted898085

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
I always wondered how those technicians and pharmacists didn't see a cut in their hours. Between christmas and summer, all walmart employees see a huge cut in their hours except managers and then they go back to abusing their employees during summer, thanksgiving, and christmas

Remember when saturation was a myth? I do. But many of the prepharms still believe they are better than the 500 Walmart pharmacists who were let go and the 60% of the class of 2019 who didnt secure full time employment.

Reactions: 6 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I wonder what the true situation is among 2019 grads is like, and how the 2020 and 2021 classes are reacting. Saturation was never a myth. We all knew it was coming even 10 years ago.

Reactions: 2 users
Remember when saturation was a myth? I do. But many of the prepharms still believe they are better than the 500 Walmart pharmacists who were let go and the 60% of the class of 2019 who didnt secure full time employment.

We are just trolls and liars according to them. The market will correct itself so they will all have $60+/hr jobs when they graduate, don't worry.

I always wondered how those technicians and pharmacists didn't see a cut in their hours. Between christmas and summer, all walmart employees see a huge cut in their hours except managers and then they go back to abusing their employees during summer, thanksgiving, and christmas
That has nothing to do with pharmacy. We are on our own seasonal cycle where people get sick more in the winter. Christmas means nothing to us.

We are just trolls and liars according to them. The market will correct itself so they will all have $60+/hr jobs when they graduate, don't worry.

I mean, they've been rewarded all their lives up through pharmacy school acceptances simply by just showing up and doing the bare minimum which to them is a huge accomplishment. They think their same work ethic and talent will carry them through the deathmatch when they graduate and have to fight and beg for jobs.

I wonder what the true situation is among 2019 grads is like, and how the 2020 and 2021 classes are reacting. Saturation was never a myth. We all knew it was coming even 10 years ago.

Blame the schools. They are the ones still lying to pay their bills. How do they sleep at night? Whenever I see the professors that guaranteedme that SDN was wrong about the bubble exploding, I get the urge to slap them in the face. God I wish I could slap those lie spewing mouths.

Whoa?! Is that true?! 60%?! I didnt think it would be that bad... lol man so many schools are kicking themselves right now.

But then i wonder how long they couldve kept their lies. Politicians could lie for about a few years and change their words and keep on lying but these schools cant change the fact that their students will be jobless when done. I dont know how these people sleep at night...

That has nothing to do with pharmacy. We are on our own seasonal cycle where people get sick more in the winter. Christmas means nothing to us.
Does Walmart not pay you guys? Or does the pharmacy pay a fee or something to Walmart to be there?

Whoa?! Is that true?! 60%?! I didnt think it would be that bad... lol man so many schools are kicking themselves right now.

But then i wonder how long they couldve kept their lies. Politicians could lie for about a few years and change their words and keep on lying but these schools cant change the fact that their students will be jobless when done. I dont know how these people sleep at night...
I'm class of 2019. The only people guaranteed full time were the ones who signed with CVS none of the Walgreens people got full time. None of the other chains gave full time including those in rural areas.

I'm class of 2019. The only people guaranteed full time were the ones who signed with CVS none of the Walgreens people got full time. None of the other chains gave full time including those in rural areas.

Did your school do anything to help your peers to get a job?

I literally laughed out loud reading that! My alma mater has a listserv of vacancies reported by alumni but entry-level equals PGY1+2, certificate alphabet soup, and must be related to the hiring manager. Just like the ACCP fellow said in Drug Topics: they have no fiduciary responsibility and earnestly believe they shouldn't help graduates or promote a healthy professional environment.

Members don't see this ad :)
Our school did host a career fair in November but Wal-Mart, Safeway/Albertsons, Humana, and our local Kroger affiliate all flat out told us they weren't hiring. Funny enough, our dean literally had two guys from Walgreens come our P3 year and tell us not to worry about the job market. Turns out they were wrong. Talking to some of my classmates during graduation week was a little depressing as so many of them had no job prospects.

Does Walmart not pay you guys? Or does the pharmacy pay a fee or something to Walmart to be there?
Walmart pays us, but unlike the retail side of the business, Christmas has nothing to do with how busy we are. Our business and therefore our hours do not go down just because Christmas is over.

Walmart pays us, but unlike the retail side of the business, Christmas has nothing to do with how busy we are. Our business and therefore our hours do not go down just because Christmas is over.
Oh I see what you are saying. I guess I should have been more clear. I didn't know if Walmart controlled the hours of the techs and pharmacists. Walmart doesn't care about how well business is doing and just cuts hours. So I assumed Walmart had some favoritism towards the pharmacy like they do with the managers.
But I see now that you guys control your own hours at the pharmacy.

Im class of 2021, and well... Im concerned. However, I have no debt, and planned to move out to BFE. Still though.... I knew of the saturation issue when I signed up for this, and I knew it would more than likely get worse. I did work in pharmacy as a tech for 7 years before this adventure and I just really enjoyed everything about Pharmacy. I do feel sorry for individuals in my class who think everything is roses and sunshine out there. Hopefully, I can get a job when I am done.

I knew of the saturation issue when I signed up for this
When I was a prepharmacy student back in 2010 I came to this forum and read about all the complaints from pharmacists and about staffing issues and number of new pharmacy schools. It has gotten many times worse since then. In theory it still is a great profession (good money, you get to help people and be in healthcare without messing with body fluids, be the medication expert, connect with patients etc....) but the good times have long passed.

Unfortunately in retail there is little to distinguish high or low performers, and really if you can get your license there is little difference what school you went to, so retail is getting hit hard and will only get worse, possibly taking the entire profession with it.

Im class of 2021, and well... Im concerned. However, I have no debt, and planned to move out to BFE. Still though.... I knew of the saturation issue when I signed up for this, and I knew it would more than likely get worse. I did work in pharmacy as a tech for 7 years before this adventure and I just really enjoyed everything about Pharmacy. I do feel sorry for individuals in my class who think everything is roses and sunshine out there. Hopefully, I can get a job when I am done.
When I applied to pharmacy school I was planning on *staying* in BFE. People say "just move to BFE" but fail to notice there is absolutely no demand in BFE since those areas are even less profitable. Notably, back when I entered pharmacy school people could get a central pharmacy position without a residency or work full-time for pre-CVS Omnicare as a new grad (for example). I was laid off as an intern during school and wasn't too worried because retail wasn't my preference anyway. The nose dive began around five years ago when "community residencies" started in earnest and ASHP pushed PGY-1 as a minimum for entry to any hospital. Didn't match, scramble process failed (no phase 2 back then), and interviewed for the least desirable pharmacist positions around. Networking gets you an interview but can't get you hired. You will see that nepotism and good looks sure help! Those people were all lollipops and sunshine because they knew they were set-up post-graduation. I joke I went to school with Miss [my home state] USA (I actually did but she wasn't a pharmacy student), Dora Langone-Sloan-Kettering nee Yale, and the future Baron von Sayfwae (of the supermarket von Sayfwaes *snark*) and they had no trouble getting jobs. I cobbled together part-time positions (non-traditional and very non-traditional roles) but it took until now to become full-time employed.

When I was a prepharmacy student back in 2010 I came to this forum and read about all the complaints from pharmacists and about staffing issues and number of new pharmacy schools. It has gotten many times worse since then. In theory it still is a great profession (good money, you get to help people and be in healthcare without messing with body fluids, be the medication expert, connect with patients etc....) but the good times have long passed.

Unfortunately in retail there is little to distinguish high or low performers, and really if you can get your license there is little difference what school you went to, so retail is getting hit hard and will only get worse, possibly taking the entire profession with it.

Whats interesting is that those who are responsible for this demise are pharmacists themselves. Like the top dogs at cvs, apha, new pharmacy schools are all pharmacists that are driving our profession to its grave.

The sad thing is that all these new pharmacy schools will continue to lie to their students. Those new students won’t know what hit them once they’re out of school, can’t find a job, and stuck with a $200,000+ student loan. The vicious cycle repeats. This is why I refuse to go in academia and I also refuse to become a preceptor.

The sad thing is that all these new pharmacy schools will continue to lie to their students. Those new students won’t know what hit them once they’re out of school, can’t find a job, and stuck with a $200,000+ student loan. The vicious cycle repeats. This is why I refuse to go in academia and I also refuse to become a preceptor.

Oh they know. We warn them about it here but they call us liars and trolls. Then when it happens, they never post here again.

Oh they know. We warn them about it here but they call us liars and trolls. Then when it happens, they never post here again.
I don't think they see you guys as trolls or liars. I am pretty sure they are just hoping things work out for them and are ignoring the truth for as long as possible. These students will even encourage others by telling them everything is going to be okay and it will all work out.

I don't think they see you guys as trolls or liars. I am pretty sure they are just hoping things work out for them and are ignoring the truth for as long as possible. These students will even encourage others by telling them everything is going to be okay and it will all work out.
Totally. Being able to stay away from parents on borrowed money while pursuing doctorate degree for 4 years. This is simply way too tempting for naive kids.