Air Force 4-year HPSP OML rollover for 3-year HPSP

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

aqz

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello.

I had applied for the 4-year AF HPSP for the 2013-2014 cycle and was told around the end of March that I was not selected and was not placed on an alternate list. However, just today while trying to contact my recruiter to reapply for the 3-year HPSP, my recruiter told me I was actually in fact the #3 alternate and that the AF updated my status as an alternate after my recruiter had already temporarily suspended my application.

None of the 4-year offers were declined, so I won't be selected for the 4-year anyways. However, I am aware that in past years (as early as the 2012 cycle according to a few threads on here) if an applicant was placed on the alternate list for the 4-year, they could be automatically selected for a 3-year scholarship without having to reapply, usually referred to as a "rollover".

My recruiter hasn't received any information about rollover policies for this year and has been quite busy with other applicants, so if anyone on here has any knowledge on how the policy will work for this year or at least when the policy information for this year will come out, please let me know. Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

I don't believe there is a rollover for any of the branches this year due to a combination of new policies and a large number of applicants...however your recruiter can re-use your old packet since you've already applied for the 4-year.

I don't have any solid information either, but that's what my recruiters hinted at.

I don't believe there is a rollover for any of the branches this year due to a combination of new policies and a large number of applicants...however your recruiter can re-use your old packet since you've already applied for the 4-year.

I don't have any solid information either, but that's what my recruiters hinted at.

Thanks for your reply. There's actually another thread that said the same thing, but the OP of the thread and you both seem to be Army although you mentioned this is information for every branch. I'm hoping the Air Force decides to go with the rollover. The responses I've received from both my recruiter and AFDDS on here seem to hint it could go either way at best for now.

Having the rollover would make things a lot easier. For my first year, I'm planning on maxing out on direct plus loans for about 42k while my parents finance the rest of the tuition/living costs, which will be about another 42k. Tuition deadline is 8/20, so if I'm told before the deadline that the rollover will happen and I've secured finances for my final 3 years, my parents could pay off the entire 84k without needing the direct plus loan, which would be 5.4% repayment.

Members don't see this ad :)
My recruiter told me for the Air Force 3 year I would have to re-do a couple of things. New rec letters with just updated dates. I also had to update the dates on some other papers as well. My recruiter didn't tell me about a rollover though.

My recruiter told me for the Air Force 3 year I would have to re-do a couple of things. New rec letters with just updated dates. I also had to update the dates on some other papers as well. My recruiter didn't tell me about a rollover though.

Are you an alternate for the 4-year or just did not get selected? I think the rollover to the 3-year only applies to alternates.

If you get a chance, can you ask your recruiter if he knows about it?

Are you an alternate for the 4-year or just did not get selected? I think the rollover to the 3-year only applies to alternates.

If you get a chance, can you ask your recruiter if he knows about it?

Hey, My Recruiter told me that I was not put on the alternative list. In fact, he said there were only two people put on the alternative list for the Air Force. I forgot to ask him about the rollover but he did not mention it. The only other information he provided me with was that there were roughly 45 applicants last year and the same amount of people applied (75-80 applicants or more)...

Hey, My Recruiter told me that I was not put on the alternative list. In fact, he said there were only two people put on the alternative list for the Air Force. I forgot to ask him about the rollover but he did not mention it. The only other information he provided me with was that there were roughly 45 applicants last year and the same amount of people applied (75-80 applicants or more)...

That is very confusing information since I was told I was ranked #3 on the alternate list. My recruiter also said hundreds applied for the 4-year.

Did you mean to say 45 3-year scholarships and 75-80 applicants or more applied? (instead of 45 "applicants")

Yes I apologize. 45 3-year scholarships were awarded in 2013 with 80 or more applicants applying. He said that just as much people will apply for the 3 year, that did for the 4 year scholarships. So if hundreds applied for the 4 year then that's how much will probably apply again maybe.

As for the alternative list, I don't know much about it. Didn't even knew there was one until I saw this post. Maybe your recruiter is right. The alternative list might be longer..

I would take everything our recruiters tell us with a grain of salt though! Who knows.. My recruiter is lacking on some information.

Yes I apologize. 45 3-year scholarships were awarded in 2013 with 80 or more applicants applying. He said that just as much people will apply for the 3 year, that did for the 4 year scholarships. So if hundreds applied for the 4 year then that's how much will probably apply again maybe.

As for the alternative list, I don't know much about it. Didn't even knew there was one until I saw this post. Maybe your recruiter is right. The alternative list might be longer..

I would take everything our recruiters tell us with a grain of salt though! Who knows.. My recruiter is lacking on some information.

Yeah, I'm not too hung up about the number of applicants, but it would be quite weird to be misinformed about my alternate ranking since my recruiter said he saw it directly on my application status.

If you get a chance/remember, ask your recruiter about the rollover for me please haha.

For now, I'm just going to get ready to reapply as if there will be no rollover.

aqz I was in the same situation as you. My application rolled over and I didn't have to redo anything. I am now on the 3 year scholarship.

aqz I was in the same situation as you. My application rolled over and I didn't have to redo anything. I am now on the 3 year scholarship.

Good to hear, congrats man.

When did you apply for the 4-year? I know alternates for the 2011-2012 cycle got the rollover but I don't know if alternates for the 2012-2013 got the rollover (my application would be 2013-2014).

Good to hear, congrats man.

When did you apply for the 4-year? I know alternates for the 2011-2012 cycle got the rollover but I don't know if alternates for the 2012-2013 got the rollover (my application would be 2013-2014).
I applied for the 4 year in 2012 and then the 3 year in 2013.

Hey any news on the 3-year. We find out soon. sorry I've been out of the loop. Been busy with school!

Hey Dre, my recruiter tells me we'll hear back fIrst week of December. In the past, they notified applicants as early as Thanksgiving weekend though.

I heard that we might hear on December 5th. Anyone else hear this?

I was just notified that I got the 3 year scholarship. 21AA DAT; 3.65 overall GPA

Got the 3-year as well after being an alternate for the 4-year.

3.64 GPA/25 DAT.