3rd update: "CA license, but no board cert. How to get life back on track with a baby?"

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

tofoo

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
To recap: Back in November 2017, I was a new father and was desperate to get back into medicine. I thought my best bet would be to get back into residency (I was hoping to get into anesthesiology back then). In September 2018, I began what I thought was going to be a temporary work taking care of patients with wounds in nursing homes. I soon realized that I was good at closing wounds and that it was a financially sound field. In June of 2019, I started my own private practice and built a solid reputation in the metropolitan area. I moved into my own home in January 2020, which was a dream come true. For more detail, I would refer you to the following posts:

First post on 11/30/17: CA license, but no board cert. How to get life back on track with a baby?
Second post on 7/15/19: Re: CA license, but no board cert. How to get life back on track with a baby?
Third post on 8/2/19: Re: CA license, but no board cert. How to get life back on track with a baby?
Fourth post on 2/21/20: Second update to "CA license, but no board cert. How to get life back on track with a baby?

Within a month of my last update, COVID absolutely shutdown everything in my city. In April one of my nurse friends died from COVID while working at a nursing home I rounded at. I still have the text messages from her telling me that she thinks she has COVID and that she was going to the hospital to get tested. (This was way before tests were as widespread as it is today). I didn't hear back from her so I texted her a couple days later. No answer. I called her family and found out that she was in ICU at the academic center on ECMO. She died less than a week after that last conversation. She had three grown sons. That was devastating.

The first difficulty we had was obtaining PPE. I remember scrambling to find N95 masks and was glad to be spending 500 dollars on fifty masks designed for construction work. As elsewhere in the country, nursing homes were hit hard. The two biggest problems were 1. lack of staffing and 2. patient isolation. Nursing homes were really short of staffing, especially in the fall and winter of 2020. I remember going to take care of emergency cases and seeing trash piled up in the hallways because all of the housekeepers and CNAs were out with COVID.

Patient isolation was a big problem because a lot of patients lost the will to live when the family members were no longer allowed to come in. One of the things I began to do was to arrange for patients to be sent home on hospice (provided that they didn't have COVID to bring home). I realized that if a patient was going to be dying anyways, they needed to be home with loved ones when they do. At first, this was really tough. To tell the spouse and children that their loved ones were dying and that the right thing was to make sure they do not die alone in a nursing home. I attended funerals when I could, and the families always reassured me that I had done right by them and that they are thankful to be there for their loved one at the time of their passing. This is something I continue to do.

The vaccine really changed things for us. Our practice had been pretty lucky through the whole of 2020. None of the clinicians got COVID, but more and more of our nursing homes succumbed to outbreaks. By December 2020, things were crawling to a halt for our practice, and a lot of our nurses were out quarantining. The Pfizer vaccine became available about this time, and this was a godsend. COVID was knocking at our door full force, but within a month of vaccine availability, the cases receded. I got my second dose in January 2021, and by February, things were looking optimistic for the first time since the beginning of pandemic.

As my practice matured and we continued to capture more of the market share, I began to ask myself what it was that I was trying to do because I was doing more than just taking care of wounds and surgical issues. It was on a long drive in April that the question came to me, which was "what is the nature of my business?" "Wound care" was not a very satisfying answer. Yes, that is what we do and something we strive to do well. But the answer that came to me like a lightening from the heavens was "I am in the business of protecting my patients dignity."

At first, I didn't understand what it meant to be in the business of dignity. I was trying to digest the idea like an entrepreneur would. How do I define the problem of dignity? What is the solution to this problem? And how would the value of that solution be coupled with money in the marketplace?

That was a frustrating exercise, and it only began to make sense when I began to think as that young idealistic medical student I once was. My practice provided what I envisioned as optimal delivery of mobile surgical care in the post acute setting. However, some of our successful outcomes felt pyrrhic in nature when, at the end of the day, the patient died along with a clean and healing wound.

I eventually came to accept that the ultimate purpose of my practice should be to protect the dignity of the patients. Wound care was a vehicle thru which we advocated for patient dignity.

These days we make decisions based on the principle of dignity. Ultimately, our mission is to protect patient dignity. All services that we provide is provided with this as the end goal. This is something that I really feel passionate about these days. Each week, I spend hours on the phone with families to help them understand what is going on and to make the decisions that lead to more dignity for the patients.

It has been a wild ride for sure. I remember the day when I first wrote out that original post. I was in my own little quiet coffee shop in the back alley somewhere in Seoul. Never in my wild imagination could I have predicted the course I would eventually take to get to where I am. It has been a relentless pursuit, and the most defining period of my career thus far.

I hope this saga is helpful to someone down the road.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 18 users

Yours is an interesting story. So, are you still running your private practice? Can I ask, what part of the country?

And why the hell not, go for it! In a profession that allows NPs who obtained a "clinical doctorate" on-line to practice independently, an MD should have free reign.

Reactions: 3 users
I've enjoyed following your story over the past few years and the success you have achieved in spite of the significant challenges you faced at the beginning. Best of luck and keep us updated every once in a while.

Reactions: 1 user
You've stayed connected with your humanity and the humanity of your patients. You are upholding the ideal of a doctor who is both a physical healer and also someone who treats the whole of the human condition. Not every doc is able to stay connected with that side of themselves/medicine and for myriad reasons; your patients are lucky that you have.

Reactions: 1 users
Yours is an interesting story. So, are you still running your private practice? Can I ask, what part of the country?

And why the hell not, go for it! In a profession that allows NPs who obtained a "clinical doctorate" on-line to practice independently, an MD should have free reign.
Yes, the practice is running fairly well. We are in the west coast.

You make a good point. It's really unfortunate that NPs are allowed to practice independently but MDs without board certifications do not have much of a choice in the healthcare market place. I know my NPs take forever to figure out stuff that I figured out in the beginning of internship.

Reactions: 2 users
I've enjoyed following your story over the past few years and the success you have achieved in spite of the significant challenges you faced at the beginning. Best of luck and keep us updated every once in a while.
Thank you!

Yes, I will come back and post updates if I make any progress on the stuff I am working on. My anesthesiologist "mom" was encouraging me to consider a family medicine residency while I was still ... not old. So if I write again anytime soon, I think it would be to explore that idea and see what inputs people might have.

Reactions: 1 user
You've stayed connected with your humanity and the humanity of your patients. You are upholding the ideal of a doctor who is both a physical healer and also someone who treats the whole of the human condition. Not every doc is able to stay connected with that side of themselves/medicine and for myriad reasons; your patients are lucky that you have.
Thank you for the kind words!

To recap: Back in November 2017, I was a new father and was desperate to get back into medicine. I thought my best bet would be to get back into residency (I was hoping to get into anesthesiology back then). In September 2018, I began what I thought was going to be a temporary work taking care of patients with wounds in nursing homes. I soon realized that I was good at closing wounds and that it was a financially sound field. In June of 2019, I started my own private practice and built a solid reputation in the metropolitan area. I moved into my own home in January 2020, which was a dream come true. For more detail, I would refer you to the following posts:

First post on 11/30/17: CA license, but no board cert. How to get life back on track with a baby?
Second post on 7/15/19: Re: CA license, but no board cert. How to get life back on track with a baby?
Third post on 8/2/19: Re: CA license, but no board cert. How to get life back on track with a baby?
Fourth post on 2/21/20: Second update to "CA license, but no board cert. How to get life back on track with a baby?

Within a month of my last update, COVID absolutely shutdown everything in my city. In April one of my nurse friends died from COVID while working at a nursing home I rounded at. I still have the text messages from her telling me that she thinks she has COVID and that she was going to the hospital to get tested. (This was way before tests were as widespread as it is today). I didn't hear back from her so I texted her a couple days later. No answer. I called her family and found out that she was in ICU at the academic center on ECMO. She died less than a week after that last conversation. She had three grown sons. That was devastating.

The first difficulty we had was obtaining PPE. I remember scrambling to find N95 masks and was glad to be spending 500 dollars on fifty masks designed for construction work. As elsewhere in the country, nursing homes were hit hard. The two biggest problems were 1. lack of staffing and 2. patient isolation. Nursing homes were really short of staffing, especially in the fall and winter of 2020. I remember going to take care of emergency cases and seeing trash piled up in the hallways because all of the housekeepers and CNAs were out with COVID.

Patient isolation was a big problem because a lot of patients lost the will to live when the family members were no longer allowed to come in. One of the things I began to do was to arrange for patients to be sent home on hospice (provided that they didn't have COVID to bring home). I realized that if a patient was going to be dying anyways, they needed to be home with loved ones when they do. At first, this was really tough. To tell the spouse and children that their loved ones were dying and that the right thing was to make sure they do not die alone in a nursing home. I attended funerals when I could, and the families always reassured me that I had done right by them and that they are thankful to be there for their loved one at the time of their passing. This is something I continue to do.

The vaccine really changed things for us. Our practice had been pretty lucky through the whole of 2020. None of the clinicians got COVID, but more and more of our nursing homes succumbed to outbreaks. By December 2020, things were crawling to a halt for our practice, and a lot of our nurses were out quarantining. The Pfizer vaccine became available about this time, and this was a godsend. COVID was knocking at our door full force, but within a month of vaccine availability, the cases receded. I got my second dose in January 2021, and by February, things were looking optimistic for the first time since the beginning of pandemic.

As my practice matured and we continued to capture more of the market share, I began to ask myself what it was that I was trying to do because I was doing more than just taking care of wounds and surgical issues. It was on a long drive in April that the question came to me, which was "what is the nature of my business?" "Wound care" was not a very satisfying answer. Yes, that is what we do and something we strive to do well. But the answer that came to me like a lightening from the heavens was "I am in the business of protecting my patients dignity."

At first, I didn't understand what it meant to be in the business of dignity. I was trying to digest the idea like an entrepreneur would. How do I define the problem of dignity? What is the solution to this problem? And how would the value of that solution be coupled with money in the marketplace?

That was a frustrating exercise, and it only began to make sense when I began to think as that young idealistic medical student I once was. My practice provided what I envisioned as optimal delivery of mobile surgical care in the post acute setting. However, some of our successful outcomes felt pyrrhic in nature when, at the end of the day, the patient died along with a clean and healing wound.

I eventually came to accept that the ultimate purpose of my practice should be to protect the dignity of the patients. Wound care was a vehicle thru which we advocated for patient dignity.

These days we make decisions based on the principle of dignity. Ultimately, our mission is to protect patient dignity. All services that we provide is provided with this as the end goal. This is something that I really feel passionate about these days. Each week, I spend hours on the phone with families to help them understand what is going on and to make the decisions that lead to more dignity for the patients.

It has been a wild ride for sure. I remember the day when I first wrote out that original post. I was in my own little quiet coffee shop in the back alley somewhere in Seoul. Never in my wild imagination could I have predicted the course I would eventually take to get to where I am. It has been a relentless pursuit, and the most defining period of my career thus far.

Your journey is one of the best ones I've ever read on SDN. Maybe even better than my own.

Where can I read your story?

I never shared my story here and I was pondering if I should. After some deliberation, I thought I'll share. It may help those who are questioning their current path in medicine:

One of the happiest time in my life was the summer before medical school. The possibilities of a better future was endless. I was lean and tanned and fly. Medical school started with a lot of fun but by the time I graduated, I absolutely hated it. I started hating it in the second year. And that was when I started my own business. I did the bare minimum in school and I spent as much time as I can developing skills to grow my business. I got good at copywriting and marketing and storytelling. I negotiated with companies while my peers were in class. Whatever free time I had away from school and business, I spent with my best friend at the time (whom I thought I would end up with forever). Second year sucked. Third year sucked even more. Fourth year sucked, but not as much as the other two years as I took really chill electives. I hated the academic environment and hated the top-down structure, being lectured at by people who weren't very competent. I was part of the slacker group and got in trouble with one of the many deans a handful of times.

If I hated it so much, why didn't I leave? I was too deep in the hole to drop out. So I pulled up my big boy pants and did the studying I didn't enjoy but had to do and passed all my classes and board exams on the first try. I wasn't excited at all about residency. I applied to only 6 residencies and got into my first choice. All I wanted to do was finish 1 year and then get my medical license. I wouldn't have attended medical school graduation if it wasn't for my parents. I didn't care so much for getting my photos taken because I was pale and fat.

Residency started in less than a month after graduation. I was thrown into the deep end and was managing ICU patients. I was carrying a lot of patients at the time and have no interest in critical care. With overnight call, I would be working 36 hours straight. Calls were brutal. I would be up all night doing admissions. I had 1 day off a week and I spent that day catching up on sleep. I hated life. Second block wasn't any better as I was carrying the pulmonary service as the only intern, assisted by 1 fellow. 15 patents on the service. Sometimes the fellow had to cover another unit so I carried the pulmonary service myself. And I did admissions while on call. I hated medicine. I hated residency. I made the decision to drop out and focus on my business. The business was pulling in some money and was running on autopilot and I thought I could grow it. So I met with GME office and gave my notice and left on good terms. My evaluations were excellent. Yet, I had no intention of returning to medicine ever again.

I told my best friend at the time that I left medicine and she wasn't surprised. After all, I complained about medical school all the time to her. The first month off was bliss. I slept whenever I wanted and woke up whenever I wanted and worked whenever I wanted. I made some progress in the business which was nice. Then the second month came and went. Third month. I found myself walking alone at 2 PM in the afternoon. Everyone I knew was at work. And here I am, walking alone. Working on my business alone. It wasn't as nice as I thought it would be. Working on the business looked good when compared to medical school and residency. But when I could do it for the rest of my life, it felt so lonely. My dream of working on my business and retiring in a tropical 3rd world country didn't seem so bright anymore. It was too isolating.

I did some deep reflection and applied to residency again. I applied to 15 programs and was invited to interview at 4 of them. I could have interviewed at the 5th one. The fifth program wasn't sure about interviewing me and wanted more information. I counter and said that I don't have more information to offer and that other programs have no problem interviewing me. So they finally extended the interview invite late in the season but couldn't answer basic questions for me to prepare for the interview. Based on the interaction, going to the interview just seemed like a waste of my time so I declined. I went on the 4 interviews in the span of a month.

One day, my best friend at the time told me she found someone else. She went on a date and they kissed. She told me how she hasn't been happy for a while. I never felt so much emotional pain in my life. I pleaded for her to come back but she never did. So after 1 month of asking her to come back, I deleted her number and had no contact with her since then. I found out later they married. Good for her.

During the day of match results, I was still emotionally devastated from the loss of the relationship and didn't care if I got back into residency or not. I got into my third choice. Realistically, I should have no chance of getting back into residency. This was an act of God. The time between getting into the second residency and starting the second residency was a few months of leisure. I had money coming in from the business and I got a feeling of what it is like to be retired. It was boring and isolating. Everyone I knew was working.

My second residency was in my dream location. It was tropical with palm trees and by the ocean. I was excited at the change in scenery and the boundless gorgeous women in the area. On top of all that, I was less than 1 mile from a major university. This residency wasn't as crazy as my first one. It was a work-horse program and during my weekend calls, I could see up to 25 patients a day. I saw 20+ patients a day in the outpatient clinic. I learned how to do the work fairly effortlessly and very efficiently and actually liked psychiatry a lot. I spent the first 6 months dating a lot of women. Much of them younger than me. And I became serious with one of them. I told her that I would like to marry her but the marriage will take place after I graduate from residency. All she had to do was to stick with me for 4 years and to NOT keep secrets from me. After marriage, she would not have to work and I would support her. She was overjoyed with the news. We had a lot of drama but overall, I was happy. But then she started sneaking off with other guys behind my back. She wanted to keep secrets from me. After a few months, she said that another guy was willing to marry her and asked if I could do better than him. I told her to choose the other guy. She was convinced that he was going to make "a million dollars a year". I told her I would never marry her, nor would I marry anyone else.

With my negative experiences in relationships, I figured that I was wasting precious time on something that didn't offer a good return. I focused on medicine and my work in residency. I stopped working on my business. I stopped dating as much. I developed my own study plan. Then I developed my own work-out plan. And over the years, I got more knowledgeable in psychiatry and the business of medicine. I got leaner. I got tanner. I got better style (and spent a fortune at the tailor). And I got straighter teeth. By the time I finished residency, I was completely different. I graduated top of my program and among the top of the nation in terms of in-service exam scores.

After residency, I join a private practice in one of the wealthiest beach-cities in the US. I had another offer in-state with an addiction facility for roughly $400k. However, the practice owner said I'll make mid-$300k in the first year and $400k+ in the second year and beyond. I told the practice owner that I am a workaholic and wanted to work weekends and some nights as well. Evening and weekend hours offer a competitive advantage compared to other private practices. Anyways, the more I worked and more I made, the more he made. He agreed that it is doable. At the time, the business advice on SDN wasn't as sophisticated as it is today and the accepted way of making big money in psychiatry came from private practices. I am interested in the business of medicine and wanted to make big money. So private practice was the obvious choice. In residency, I dreamed of working in a practice practice along the beach and I was about to achieve that dream.

I purposely negotiated my contract in a way that would allowed me to be screwed: I didn't ask for a base salary of mid-$300k for the first year. I thought this would be a way for me to gauge the character and business acumen of my prospective partner. Will his word match reality?

By my third month, I knew I had to leave. I learned a lot from the private practice, but a lot of what I learned was what NOT to do. The marketing was lackluster and thus I spent a lot of my time twiddling my thumbs. I was working 3 days a week or so. I wanted to work more and was bored. I was growing the practice that I had no ownership of. I recruited another physician. I networked with other psychiatrists. I established referral bases from the local colleges and PCPs. I was doing work that I wasn't paid for. The owner wouldn't supply staff for evening or weekend hours. It made no sense for me to pay the same percentage of my income for no staff. I had no control over the direction of the private practice. The projected income of my first year was much less than the mid-$300k that was quoted during my interview.

I began looking for other jobs. I did the complete opposite of what I did to find the private practice job. Instead of traveling at my expense for the interview (without even a post-interview meal), I had my prospective employers pay for everything: travel, lodging, meals, etc. I asked about pay even before traveling as to not waste anyone's time. I soon got an interview with my current employer. All expenses paid for flights and car rental and hotels. They treated me to a nice rib-eye dinner. I made a good impression and the people there made a good impression on me. After the interview, I wanted to negotiate the contract but didn't hear back for a month. So I interviewed at another place and told the recruiter for my current employer that I am interviewing at another place. Soon after the second interview, I got the contract from my current employer and negotiated and reached a satisfactory conclusion. Invoking jealousy works in business and romantic relationships. I also had a base salary this time.

Leaving the private practice wasn't emotionally easy. I had to say goodbye to my patients, some whom felt they were being abandoned. I still remember some of them to this day and a few reached out to me after I moved. I referred them to my friend that I recruited and know that they're in good hands. The practice owner wasn't happy when I left and insulted me. After I left, other several other people from that practice left. I learned from one of them that the practice owner wasn't truthful to that person as well.

Looking back, I'm not sure how my lifestyle would have changed if I made the quoted amount. I would have been too comfortable to leave. I would have saved more money but my lifestyle would have been the same as before. Eating in nice restaurants. Going to luxury malls. Going to the beach. Going to church. Hanging out with friends. But I wasn't happy. Being screwed over financially is a blessing in disguise.

So I made the trip to the middle of the US in the midst of COVID pandemic. I packed all my belongings in my car and drove to the start of my new life. It was intense adjusting to work in a rural hospital. Unlike private practice, I had pretty frequent calls. Calls from inpatient unit. Calls from medical floor. Calls from ER. I was seeing patients who are quite ill and quite complex medically. Even though my knowledge was good, adjusting to the new work environment and new EMR was challenging. Overall, working at my current place is a huge blessing. I got to know the best psychiatric clinician I've ever worked with. I have met a lot of psychiatrists along the way and have not met anyone as good as him. Working in this challenging environment and with someone who is better than me developed my clinical skills immensely, which enabled me to treat the sickest psychiatric patients. It is essential to develop these clinical skills as I have no one else to send the patients to.

In return for his guidance in developing my clinical skills, I came up with an idea that would add a few hundred thousand dollars to his paycheck every year based on the business knowledge I accumulated from medical school and residency and private practice. I did the math to showed him how it worked. And to his credit, he implemented my idea and is still profiting from it to this day.

I accomplished my third dream: working a lot and making a lot of money. (The first dream was working on my own business. The second dream was working in private practice along the beach.) I won't say how much I make but it is more than I've ever thought possible, more than the median neurosurgery income and with excellent job security. Very few psychiatrist are capable or willing to do this work.

Two years after finishing residency (including that year of being financially screwed in private practice), I achieved financial independence. I am still working because I love what I do.

---

reflections:

- Prior to starting medical school, I worked in the business field for a few years. Learning how to study for medical school wasn't an innate skill and was something I had to develop. Learning that skill allowed me to learn any field, not just medicine. This allowed me to learn about entrepreneurship and the business of medicine and excel in psychiatry.

- Choose the specialty that comes most naturally for you. Don't focus on the money when choosing the specialty. You can make good money in any specialty. The less replaceable you are, the more you can make (depending on your negotiation skills).

- Journey to become a doctor changed me for better and worse. I am much less idealistic and much more realistic, especially when it comes to relationships with people (e.g. business, romance). Frankly, the way marriage is structured in the US makes it a horrible business relationship. I live my life in accordance to many of Miyamoto Musashi's principles in The Path Of Aloneness.

- Life is a trade-off. Happiness is fleeting.

- Academia sucks.

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users
I came up with an idea that would add a few hundred thousand dollars to his paycheck every year based on the business knowledge I accumulated from medical school and residency and private practice. I did the math to showed him how it worked. And to his credit, he implemented my idea and is still profiting from it to this day.

Can you elaborate on this?