2nd time applying

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

hopeful_vet2026

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
This is my 2nd application cycle (to Tennessee)... Last year I interviewed but was not accepted. I requested a packet review afterwards and was told I've got plenty of experience, my LORs were great, above average GRE scores (we are required to take the GRE but it doesn't count for anything on the application), interview was fabulous, "they loved your personality", etc etc. Sounds great, right? Then they told me what cut me out of the running: my most recent 45 math and science grades.

I'm 34, took a decade off from school to be a mother and work and when i decided to go back, i started with prerequisites only.... Namely chemistry and physics. I didn't do well. I got Cs in both gen chem 1 and 2 and physics 1. Since last cycle, I'll be adding the following classes/grades:
Genetics B
Calculus A
Anthropological Biology A
One Health B
Microbiology B
And... Biochem C (but its less than 2 points from a B, if that matters).

Im wondering if these much better grades in math and science classes will help my chances this year? What do y'all think?

Thanks in advance for looking and reading!

Members don't see this ad.

I'm not entirely sure how they count some of my courses from PennFoster, the university itself won't take the credits but my transcripts are on my application. I had a 3.8 GPA there (veterinary technician school, almost all math and science) so my stats are pretty different with and without those grades.

Without
Cumulative: 3.25
Last 45: I believe a 2.9, of course before adding all of my upcoming fall classes, and with realistic grades it becomes a 3.2.
Again it depends for my science gpa.
Experience is vast and various. Thousands of hours in a variety of Veterinary positions, volunteer hours with animals and without animals, leadership positions and so on. I have worked as a technician for 13 years in both small and large animal.

I have my technician training, my dog training certification, pet nutrition coach, fear-free handler.

They told me they wanted to see they i could handle the rigors of a professional program. I have showed VAST improvement since i started back again after a 10 year gap (Cs to As, in Math/Sciences).
What are your stats? Cumulative, last 45, and science gpa.
And hours of experience?

Unfortunately it won’t because all they see is the letter grade and not that it’s 2 points from a higher grade.
I

Members don't see this ad :)
I did have similar stats to you, OP. So here's my advice:

1) gotta play to your strengths and that is your experience, both vet med and non-vet med. Being a non-trad gives you a totally different perspective to use.

2) you need to apply to schools that have a lot of out of state seats (so that's a no to places like Oregon or Georgia). If you're good at interviewing, that will help. But you need to meet the grade cut off first. Email every school that has a high out of state population and discuss with them the academics cutoff. For many schools, the hard cut off is a 2.75, but don't count on that number. There are undoubtedly soft cut offs for most schools that is higher and applies to the vast majority of students. There may be exceptions to that rule, but they are the exception, not the rule.

3) you also need to consider the number of students who apply per seat to a school compared to their average stats. My favorite to look at is CSU because of how oddly popular the school is. About half of their class is out of state, so that's going for you. Their average cumulative GPA is 3.6. Kinda a reach. Then the average number of applicants per seat:14.9. 15 people applied per seat. That's outrageous and certainly puts you at a disadvantage.

Reactions: 1 users
Thank you for the advice!! I am restricted and where I can realistically apply, because I have two kids and can't just pick up and go somewhere out of state easily. I know that means I might be applying to the same school several times, but that's just my reality. I did add even more great experience and have two Professor recommendations this year, but being offered an interview with my grades last year and still not getting in with just a huge bubble bust, so I'm definitely not putting the cart before the horse this year!
I did have similar stats to you, OP. So here's my advice:

1) gotta play to your strengths and that is your experience, both vet med and non-vet med. Being a non-trad gives you a totally different perspective to use.

2) you need to apply to schools that have a lot of out of state seats (so that's a no to places like Oregon or Georgia). If you're good at interviewing, that will help. But you need to meet the grade cut off first. Email every school that has a high out of state population and discuss with them the academics cutoff. For many schools, the hard cut off is a 2.75, but don't count on that number. There are undoubtedly soft cut offs for most schools that is higher and applies to the vast majority of students. There may be exceptions to that rule, but they are the exception, not the rule.

3) you also need to consider the number of students who apply per seat to a school compared to their average stats. My favorite to look at is CSU because of how oddly popular the school is. About half of their class is out of state, so that's going for you. Their average cumulative GPA is 3.6. Kinda a reach. Then the average number of applicants per seat:14.9. 15 people applied per seat. That's outrageous and certainly puts you at a disadvantage.

but being offered an interview with my grades last year and still not getting in with just a huge bubble bust, so I'm definitely not putting the cart before the horse this year!

I went through 3 cycles before getting an acceptance. I was wait listed by the same place 3 times and accepted to a school I hadn't yet applied to prior to that cycle. So I feel you there. My first cycle was a joke in hindsight as far as my school list, so that's why I recommend the broad list. In that case, you'll really want to research what those limited schools value and tailor your application to then specifically. Meet with admissions directly, for example.

Reactions: 1 user
Should I meet with the admissions board before this cycles deadline? I did have a packet review last year that was basically a phone call to tell me what they did and didn't like. They said I was a "very well rounded candidate", that I had a great personality and the interviewers "loved" me. It really boiled down to the 3 Cs they saw for the most recent classes.... They HAD to have negated the 3.6 GPA from Penn Foster right before that, because otherwise it appeared as though I did well in college the first time and then after 10 years off, I couldn't cut it anymore. Also specifically said they wanted to see that I could handle the difficulty of vet school classes.

To be honest though, it WAS a reality check, trying to balance life with this new plan at first. But, I am adding 5 B's and 2 As to those first 3 class Cs but I'm REALLY NOT SURE if that will be enough to show them this time. I am completely prepared to have to apply a 3rd time (or 4th), but obviously hoping I don't! It does make me feel a lot better to hear when others had to apply more than once. Last year, it seemed like all the people I was communicating with were applying for their first time and they got in. It was a huge blow! But, I picked myself up and have been determined to prove that I DO have what it takes.
I went through 3 cycles before getting an acceptance. I was wait listed by the same place 3 times and accepted to a school I hadn't yet applied to prior to that cycle. So I feel you there. My first cycle was a joke in hindsight as far as my school list, so that's why I recommend the broad list. In that case, you'll really want to research what those limited schools value and tailor your application to then specifically. Meet with admissions directly, for example.

Should I meet with the admissions board before this cycles deadline? I did have a packet review last year that was basically a phone call to tell me what they did and didn't like. They said I was a "very well rounded candidate", that I had a great personality and the interviewers "loved" me. It really boiled down to the 3 Cs they saw for the most recent classes.... They HAD to have negated the 3.6 GPA from Penn Foster right before that, because otherwise it appeared as though I did well in college the first time and then after 10 years off, I couldn't cut it anymore. Also specifically said they wanted to see that I could handle the difficulty of vet school classes.

To be honest though, it WAS a reality check, trying to balance life with this new plan at first. But, I am adding 5 B's and 2 As to those first 3 class Cs but I'm REALLY NOT SURE if that will be enough to show them this time. I am completely prepared to have to apply a 3rd time (or 4th), but obviously hoping I don't! It does make me feel a lot better to hear when others had to apply more than once. Last year, it seemed like all the people I was communicating with were applying for their first time and they got in. It was a huge blow! But, I picked myself up and have been determined to prove that I DO have what it takes.
I don't think there is any harm in contacting them, at the very least to find out if and how they are factoring in the Penn Foster grades

Reactions: 1 user
Deborah told me they "kind of look down on PennFoster" so I doubt they let any good grades made there weigh in their decision very much. Even if it weighs into the overall VCMAS calculation or something. I know the credits are not transferable there. My thought was they think it's not equivalent in difficulty or complexity so an A in Animal A/P there is hardly the same as a nationally accredited school.

You seem to know a lot about their admissions process and what they look for in a candidate so do you think that my multiple much improved grades will weigh in my favor enough for an improvement this year?
I don't think there is any harm in contacting them, at the very least to find out if and how they are factoring in the Penn Foster grades

Having those extra classes may help to a certain extent. But, honestly, you're solidifying closer to a 3.0 GPA with having more Bs than As. You need to be making As and boosting that GPA if their concerns are your grades at this point.

When you were hearing about a lot of people getting in on their first try, it's because something between 70 and 80 percent of students get in on their first try, depending on the cycle. Less than 10% get in after their 3rd or 4th cycle. It's unfortunate. So good luck! Keep at it if this is what you want to go for!

You seem to know a lot about their admissions process and what they look for in a candidate so do you think that my multiple much improved grades will weigh in my favor enough for an improvement this year?

She is a 4th year at Tennessee

Deborah told me they "kind of look down on PennFoster" so I doubt they let any good grades made there weigh in their decision very much. Even if it weighs into the overall VCMAS calculation or something. I know the credits are not transferable there. My thought was they think it's not equivalent in difficulty or complexity so an A in Animal A/P there is hardly the same as a nationally accredited school.

Honestly it is hard to say because a lot depends on the applicant pool for a particular cycle. If their main concern was your grades, I agree with what was said before - they were probably looking to see As in higher level science courses. The improvement you have shown might be enough since they seemed to like you as an applicant otherwise. They also tend to like nontrads, so that may work in your favor.

Do vet schools accept grades from an RVT program?

Do vet schools accept grades from an RVT program?

Depends on the school. You'll have to submit that transcript to VMCAS regardless, but whether or not they count towards pre-reqs will vary from school to school. Contacting the schools will get you the best answer.