2023 UTSW vs McGovern w/ $16k Difference in COA and Family Dynamic to Consider

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

skeptastic

Cleans his metal mask with gasoline
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
NOTE: This post has been edited to reflect updated calculations. I completely spaced that fact that the family being reunited during MS4 means I stop paying for two residences. The cost difference is now quite a bit less, and I think the financial part is now a non-issue. This build down to opportunities at UTSW vs being with family all four years at McGovern.

Hey everyone! I've been fortunate enough to nab a few acceptances early in the current app cycle, but am planning on ranking a few TMDSAS schools higher than my pre-matched schools. To be specific, I am deciding whether to rank UTSW or McGovern higher. I have prematched at UTMB and TAMU. I think we all know the differences between the schools in terms of curriculum, P/F vs graded, location, home residency program strength, and so forth. Please feel free to use such specifics when discussing the basis of your opinion on the matter, but I'll spare everyone me listing all of that here. The only one that stands out to me is both schools being true P/F during the first semester, but then UTSW moving to P/F with internal ranking for AOA during the rest of pre-clerkships, and McGovern moving to graded curriculum the rest of pre-clerkships with ranking. Also, pre-clerkships don't factor into the MSPE for class ranking, so only clerkship grades go into the MSPE. With McGovern, everything after the first semester is included.

The key factors that I'm considering outside of the known differences between the two schools are:

UTSW

- My family and I are interested in relocating to the Dallas are long-term
- We have a child in high school who we won't uproot, so my family will be staying in Houston while I attend UTSW, should I choose this option. We've discussed it and are okay with it, but it is something to consider. They would move to be with me before the start of MS4
- Assuming I receive no scholarship funding from either school, UTSW's cost of attendance would provide a but more per month in personal expenses, but I'd have less to help out the family back home because I'd be paying for lodging in Dallas as well as Houston. This would be for the first three years, just to reiterate. In other words, I take on a little more debt and simultaneously have less available to help out back home until MS4.

McGovern

- We are unsure about in living in Houston long-term due to concerns with property ownership versus flood/wind insurance costs
- We live in Houston, so this option keeps me with my family, though my wife and I have discussed the pros and cons of me being away and realized that some space could be good from an "ability to focus" perspective
- Staying with family means only paying for one residency, and thus McGovern's cost of attendance budget stretches further (McGovern attendance ends up yielding $16k more than UTSW over the first three years that can be used for whatever we need)

If it helps, please note that I am interested in competitive specialties (ortho, gen surg, and anesthesiology). I believe either school would give me what I need to land any of these specialties, and it would primarily be up to my work ethic and how I fare.

So what do you think? Is UTSW worth $16k more and a bit more financial struggle during the first three years of med school? Anyone have experiences being with or away from spouse and children for a few years during med school that can speak to how things worked out, what they've learned, what they'd repeat or do differently if given the chance, etc?

Thank you all!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: 1 users
McGovern

I think family and money both point to McGovern. Are you really going to be able to make the most of UTSW if you’re less financially well off and missing your loved ones?

McGovern also has medical student research programs directly with MD Anderson, which has amazing ortho onc, plastics, and gas departments to help set you up for the match. Go to UTSW for residency.

Reactions: 1 user
Hmm. Well Dallas and Houston aren't too far apart. I don't think you would have too many issues at either schools in terms of competitive specialties, even though UTSW might be slightly better. Have ever lived away from your family for a while or without your wife/child? 3 years a quite a while. You could consider studying at school (if it were in Houston) for longer periods of time and just figuring out the best school-life-balance schedule for you and your family.

The only real issue is whether or not you get easily distracted by family or not. If you can find a way to focus, I would just stay in Houston, otherwise UTSW may be better for you.

Members don't see this ad :)
McGovern

I think family and money both point to McGovern. Are you really going to be able to make the most of UTSW if you’re less financially well off and missing your loved ones?

McGovern also has medical student research programs directly with MD Anderson, which has amazing ortho onc, plastics, and gas departments to help set you up for the match. Go to UTSW for residency.
Excellent points and question. I think the financial part would be tougher than being away from family. I've spent time away from family before, and while it isn't the most enjoyable thing in the world, my wife and I understand that sacrifices are important and often required components of success. It isn't the easiest thing to accept, but I don't believe being away from them would hinder me from an emotional and productivity perspective.

You are spot-on about the opportunities at McGovern. The two schools really are closer than they seem to most who may be more aware of UTSW than McGovern. Your response is why I decided to make this post! Great stuff to chew on, for sure. Thank you!

Hmm. Well Dallas and Houston aren't too far apart. I don't think you would have too many issues at either schools in terms of competitive specialties, even though UTSW might be slightly better. Have ever lived away from your family for a while or without your wife/child? 3 years a quite a while. You could consider studying at school (if it were in Houston) for longer periods of time and just figuring out the best school-life-balance schedule for you and your family.

The only real issue is whether or not you get easily distracted by family or not. If you can find a way to focus, I would just stay in Houston, otherwise UTSW may be better for you.
Agreed! The two schools are both excellent places to learn, and neither will hold me back. Naturally, I we all want to maximize our opportunity to succeed, and besides UTSW's greater national prestige, I've enjoyed my experiences with UTSW more than McGovern to this point. It just so happens that one school is local and the other is 4 hours away.

I talk about it a bit in my response to ciretne, but yes, I've been away from my family before and I do okay with it. It isn't preferable, but I am good with compartmentalizing and focusing on the bug picture. We've come a long way, and we knew this might be part of our journey, especially with a kid in high school and us being unwilling to have them switch schools at this late stage.

I did think about your idea regarding studying away from home to decrease chances of distraction when studying. My kids are older and respectful, but there will undoubtedly be times when I feel pulled or compelled to be more present in my family's life, if I stay local. My wife and I have talked about this and though we aren't sure which situation would be best for all factors, we do agree that being home would be great in general, while being away could help eliminate distractions for me, and make her feel less like my caretaker since med students are extremely busy and not very present.

I've done okay with the family and studying, but anticipate medical school being on a different level, and do worry that I'll feel like I'm letting them down by being home but not really being present, you know what I mean?

Thanks so much for your input! You all are awesome for helping me work through this.

Last edited:
If you choose Dallas, there’s this little known luxury bus service you could take every few weeks to Houston. Study in the bus !

• Wow
Reactions: 2 users
Agreed! The two schools are both excellent places to learn, and neither will hold me back. Naturally, I we all want to maximize our opportunity to succeed, and besides UTSW's greater national prestige, I've enjoyed my experiences with UTSW more than McGovern to this point. It just so happens that one school is local and the other is 4 hours away.

I take about it a bit in my response to ciretne, but yes, I've been away from my family before and I do okay with it. It isn't preferable, but I am good with compartmentalizing and focusing on the bug picture. We've come a long way, and we knew this might be part of our journey, especially with a kid in high school and us being unwilling to have them switch schools at this late stage.

I did think about your idea regarding studying away from home to decrease chances of distraction when studying. My kids are older and respectful, but there will undoubtedly be times when I feel pulled or compelled to be more present in my family's life, if I stay local. My wife and I have talked about this and though we aren't sure which situation would be best for all factors, we do agree that being home would be great in general, while being away could help eliminate distractions for me, and make her feel less like my caretaker since med students are extremely busy and not very present.

I've done okay with the family and studying, but anticipate medical school being on a different level, and do worry that I'll feel like I'm letting them down by being home but not really being present, you know what I mean?

Thanks so much for your input! You all are awesome for helping me work through this.
Personally, to be completely honest I would go to McGovern for your child alone. Going through high school is hard enough without an absent parent.

• Care
In your shoes, I would choose McGovern. I don't think you need to sacrifice the extra cost + lost time with your child to achieve your goals (competitive residency) in this scenario. I completely understand your long term Houston hesitancy (have had the same conversation with myself), so consider just 4 more years and then seek out residencies at UTSW or elsewhere.

If you choose Dallas, there’s this little known luxury bus service you could take every few weeks to Houston. Study in the bus !
I'd heard of this but never looked into it or knew what it was called. Thank you! This is cool!

Personally, to be completely honest I would go to McGovern for your child alone. Going through high school is hard enough without an absent parent.
Great point! I'm definitely going to sit down and ask my kids what they think about it. We parents always make decisions, assuming they're in the family's best interest, but forget to include the bambinos. Appreciate your input!

In your shoes, I would choose McGovern. I don't think you need to sacrifice the extra cost + lost time with your child to achieve your goals (competitive residency) in this scenario. I completely understand your long term Houston hesitancy (have had the same conversation with myself), so consider just 4 more years and then seek out residencies at UTSW or elsewhere.
Thank you for adding to the conversation. Your thoughts make good sense and are being taken seriously. The toughest thing with all of this is that no mater where I rank McGovern, I could still land elsewhere since TMDSAS uses the match system and I haven't pre-matched with McGovern. So, I am also asking all of this in anticipation that I will be moving no matter what, unless I land at McGovern. I should have included this info in the original post. Not that you were necessarily unaware of it, but many on SDN might be unaware of the way the TX system of acceptances works.

I haven’t taken it but friends in Austin like it for travel between Austin Houston & Dallas as an alternative to flying
This is really good to be aware of. To not have to deal with the security gates, delays, and cancellations of flights would be a godsend. Probably a little more time-consuming, but as you said, one can study on the move! Appreciate you!

Houston. The only regret that matters is not spending enough time with your children and family when all is said and done in this life of ours

Reactions: 5 users
Appreciate you all! I think I got some valuable insight here, which is all I was looking for. In the end, each of us has to make our decisions and live with them. I hope you all have a great weekends, and again, thanks for sharing your thoughts and wisdom with me.

Hey skep! Fellow nontrad here with a spouse but no kids. I don't have much to add to the discussion other than another vote for McGovern. I don't perceive enough difference between Houston/McGovern versus UTSW to be able to justify that much time away from family and more debt/less $$ by choosing UTSW. I understand your family is supportive and good with whatever decision that is best, but honestly we all don't know what the future holds, and sometimes it is randomly and unpredictably important to be there for family. Boundaries will be important if you stay in Houston, but sounds like you will have support in sticking to them. Also, the TMC is awesome with so much opportunity. You could shoot for Dallas for residency. Either way, you will make it work. Go with your gut & do what you think is best! Congrats on making it to med school!

• Care
This is really good to be aware of. To not have to deal with the security gates, delays, and cancellations of flights would be a godsend. Probably a little more time-consuming, but as you said, one can study on the move! Appreciate you!

flixbus is cheaper but you do deal with the occasional incident… let’s just say I’ve been on a DFW-Houston bus with a man who had a difficult time with controlling a particular biological drive.

If you keep headphones in and your head down, it’s not that bad. Just don’t turn around and check out what’s happening on the bus.

• Care
flixbus is cheaper but you do deal with the occasional incident… let’s just say I’ve been on a DFW-Houston bus with a man who had a difficult time with controlling a particular biological drive.

If you keep headphones in and your head down, it’s not that bad. Just don’t turn around and check out what’s happening on the bus.
Now THIS is what I'm talking about! It seems like a Greyhound without all the stops between starting point and final destination. I really appreciate this. Saves a ton of money and takes the same amount of time as driving!