2023-2024 Northwestern (Feinberg)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Has Choose Your Medical School not updated with Feinberg for anyone who got an A yesterday?

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
Literally exact same for me, +++++1

Edit just replace intent with interest for me
I sent letter of intent, got deferred, then waitlisted. Thought my interview went well too so it’s probably the rest of my app/LOR :( praying to be let off the WL!!

• Care
Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
So is Northwestern a school that overaccepts then? Cuz admit.org says they accept almost 400 students, so is this just all during the initial A waves and barely represents any WL -> A's in it?

So is Northwestern a school that overaccepts then? Cuz admit.org says they accept almost 400 students, so is this just all during the initial A waves and barely represents any WL -> A's in it?

Yeah, they overenrolled two years ago. They probably limited that not sure if that means more or less WL movement.

During my interview day they said some cycles they've accepted as few as two, and in some as many as 2 dozen. Hoping ppl withdraw so theres space for me 🙏

Anybody know if we are allowed to bring a guest to second look? I'd love to share this event with my wife!

Can anyone speak to FSM's stance on merit aid? How common are merit scholarships / do they match / what is the usual award amount?

Members don't see this ad :)
Can anyone speak to FSM's stance on merit aid? How common are merit scholarships / do they match / what is the usual award amount?
They are definitely willing to negotiate merit aid if you have other offers but not necessarily match

For the sake of future cycle applicants, aid offers began rolling out today

Reactions: 2 users
For the sake of future cycle applicants, aid offers began rolling out today
They roll out up to May (I emailed the FA department). But I have a feeling that May is for those who submit it late. I think last year Feb admitted students got their offer next week.

Could you confirm if this was merit/need/both?
Combination! The exact words were "Your selection for this combined scholarship and grant award is based on your outstanding record of achievement as well as a need‐analysis of the financial aid information you submitted."

Hi, I am a current M1 (male) at Feinberg and looking for a roommate for next year, starting in June/July. I have a great 2 bedroom at Arrive (under 2 blocks from campus) on the 18th floor in Streeterville and would love to stay. DM me if interested.

Anyone else still waiting on their financial aid offer?

Anyone else still waiting on their financial aid offer?
Yup....I also submitted all my stuff earlier than the typical Feb admitted person since I already had a CEASAR account. Last year's thread showed people getting their aid like almost in May even 🤧🤧😭😭. I am hoping for something this Friday 😈😈 (no bases just intuition)

Last year's thread showed people getting their aid like almost in May even
Wat, bruh lmao how are they expecting most of us to make an informed decision by April 30 let alone April 15 without any aid info

Wat, bruh lmao how are they expecting most of us to make an informed decision by April 30 let alone April 15 without any aid info
Literally. But I am hoping they are faster. When I emailed a while ago they said mid March to early may too

Does anyone know when we might hear back about any WL movement (if at all)?

Does anyone know when we might hear back about any WL movement (if at all)?
When there was a lot of waitlist movement like 3 years ago, it was around May 5th

Not much reporting from last year so can’t speak on that

The reports involved in this post are from a variety of students in M3 and M4 years who do not feel safe posting individually. There are good things about Feinberg, but this post is about the bad ones. Names have been removed, and this post is as factual as possible to avoid breaking any rules.

Tomorrow is a decision deadline. It's important you know this before you make any choices, if you're considering Northwestern/Feinberg SOM.

About the administration or Office of Medical Education (AWOME)
At Feinberg, students regularly face severe administrative incompetence, particularly with clinical rotation scheduling. Imagine being told on the very morning of a clinical rotation whether you need to be at the Chicago VA or the downtown campus- an hour apart. This isn't just a minor oversight; it's a serious logistical failure that directly impacts students' professional evaluations. Arriving late due to such last-minute notifications results in "professionalism forms" that negatively impact your MSPE, a crucial part of residency applications. This goes along with persistent administrative failures: The administration at Feinberg frequently loses essential documents, such as student emails, forms, and more, and fails to communicate vital information. Students are invariably blamed for these oversights, fostering an environment of mistrust and stress. This culture of mismanagement and misplaced accountability is not only frustrating but also detrimental to the educational experience.

Gatekeeping
Seeking support at Feinberg often leads to being questioned about your commitment to the medical profession rather than receiving actual assistance. This approach discourages students from seeking help, fostering an environment where issues are hidden rather than addressed. There is an employee who is in charge of wellness. This actually means that they are in charge of weeding out potential liabilities. For example, if a student underperforms on an exam (pass/fail, but you're judged for it regardless), the response from the administration can be disproportionately punitive. Students are quickly labeled and treated as a risk, conflicting starkly with Feinberg’s public assertion that it supports all students equally. The reality is a discriminatory practice where students who stumble are left to fend for themselves, often pushed towards family medicine or pediatrics regardless of their actual potential or aspirations. On top of all of this, Feinberg’s handling of mental health issues means that people who display signs of depression may be pushed to take leaves of absence. This policy appears to be more about protecting the institution's image than genuinely supporting students in distress. Feinberg will put people on leave, and by removing these students from active status, those who have committed suicide or needed hospitalization do not impact the school's reported statistics.

Racism/Bias
If you experience bias or racist comments, you might think about reporting it, but the dean who reviews the reports is in fact known for being racist as well, having made comments about how Asian students are a disappointment if they can't do mental math, or Indian students go into cardiology for the money, or how white students will do fine no matter how they perform.

For those considering Feinberg School of Medicine, please understand the issues that could significantly affect your education and well-being. While the academic and research opportunities at Feinberg are nice, the administrative barriers and lack of supportive infrastructure are bad news and will impact your medical training and future career. Buyer beware.

I'll answer questions if I can do so anonymously.

1714426300614.png

• Haha
Reactions: 7 users
Why does this stuff NEVER appear when visiting with students, asking questions on SDN and reddit in the months leading up to decision day, and from recent alumni? these posts always drop within the week or so of April 30 lmfao this is exhausting

Reactions: 9 users
Why does this stuff NEVER appear when visiting with students, asking questions on SDN and reddit in the months leading up to decision day, and from recent alumni? these posts always drop within the week or so of April 30 lmfao this is exhausting
Valid question. Students who help with visits and second look are typically ones who toe the party line or want others to come here. There are no incentives to saying anything negative in person, and it can be actively harmful if the wrong person hears you, or if a potential student repeats what you say. Also, we often realize the deadline is coming up because the med school announces it, and we feel obligated to say something. I'm sorry this feels late. I'd prefer that you hear it now as opposed to after sending in a commitment letter.

Last edited:
Feinberg just matched full tuition for me. I will withdraw tomorrow. For transparency, I started with 75% and they matched today. Good luck yall!

• Love

Also keep in mind this is one person's opinion. I personally only have good things to say about Feinberg but I also recognize not everyone has the same experience.

Just withdrew my A, hope it goes to one of y’all! 💞

• Love
Current student at Feinberg and I have not had the experience the poster said above. The school isn't perfect but I have had my share of struggles in med school and the Admin has been pretty supportive. I disclosed I have mental health issues and nobody pushed me to do an LOA.

I don't doubt that someone else may have different experiences (at any med school) and I am sorry to those who struggle.

Last edited:
Can anyone provide some insight on what the GroupMe looks like right now? :)

Can anyone provide some insight on what the GroupMe looks like right now? :)
Down to 196 albeit there are a ton of M1s in the chat and I'm not sure how many (only a few labeled themselves as M1s). I'd say at least 20 of them are M1s.

And im assuming some people may have not bothered to leave the GC?

Maybe some. People have been leaving and one of the group chat admin kicked a bunch of people so not completely sure who’s left at this point

Maybe some. People have been leaving and one of the group chat admin kicked a bunch of people so not completely sure who’s left at this point
Staying hopeful, keep us updated on the group chat numbers please

Any changes to group chat or updates? I know this school has next to no WL movement but it’s fun to hold out hope

Any changes to group chat or updates? I know this school has next to no WL movement but it’s fun to hold out hope
Wondering this as well. WL movement here seems to happen within the first or second week of May based on previous threads, so I feel like it should've started by now

I called the office a few days ago and the person I talked to said they weren't expecting anything until late May/early June if at all.

• Sad
Reactions: 3 users