2023-2024 Michigan

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
When submitting your secondary, were the paragraph breaks deleted in the HTML view? Im stressing

Members don't see this ad.

Mine says completed on the portal. Do you have LORs assigned to them on AMCAS?
When you view your completed application, are the paragraph breaks missing from your essays? Mine were present in the portal but after submitting, they were missing in the HTML view.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Confused on the significant activities section and can't find any clear answers online. Did you all put in a numerical value into the text box like just "2 years"? Or should we list the specific activities in the text box too?

Confused on the significant activities section and can't find any clear answers online. Did you all put in a numerical value into the text box like just "2 years"? Or should we list the specific activities in the text box too?
I just put a numerical answer

Would someone who hasn't submitted the secondary yet let me know what the options were for the "Were you a recipient of any of the following awards/scholarships?" question? I submitted already, realized a scholarship I got might have been on the list, and now I can't see what the options were :(
Fulbright

Gates

Marshall

QuestBridge

Rhodes

Truman

Reactions: 1 users
Advice for UMichigan's secondary "How was your journey to medical school affected by the COVID pandemic? Please feel free to describe any positive or negative aspects. (2500 characters)"

I'm in the process of writing my answer for this secondary question. What I've been doing for other COVID-related secondaries is talking about how my father was hospitalized due to COVID and how this impacted me. My approach is to write the story while interweaving sentences about our family's exposure and how many in our community (Hispanic community) are disproportionately affected by disease and illness. I then conclude by writing about how this experience reinvigorated my mission to help those in my community and advocate for them.

However, I cannot shake this feeling that this doesn't answer the question "How did COVID affect your medical school journey?" because it doesn't address anything about the medical school journey (ie. Grades, Extracurriculars, Volunteering opportunities, etc.). I'm wondering if I should write another essay for this that goes into how I couldn't pursue certain opportunities because COVID shut them down, but I just don't feel it's as meaningful as my father being hospitalized.

Do you guys think my story and the lessons I learned answer the prompt? If not, do you think there's a way to shape the story to make it answer the prompt? Thank you!

tldr: Not sure if my story answers the prompt

Is anyone else still awaiting this secondary? Did anyone receive it after 6/30? I'm OOS and above the screening cutoff indicated in MSAR and haven't received it.

Advice for UMichigan's secondary "How was your journey to medical school affected by the COVID pandemic? Please feel free to describe any positive or negative aspects. (2500 characters)"

I'm in the process of writing my answer for this secondary question. What I've been doing for other COVID-related secondaries is talking about how my father was hospitalized due to COVID and how this impacted me. My approach is to write the story while interweaving sentences about our family's exposure and how many in our community (Hispanic community) are disproportionately affected by disease and illness. I then conclude by writing about how this experience reinvigorated my mission to help those in my community and advocate for them.

However, I cannot shake this feeling that this doesn't answer the question "How did COVID affect your medical school journey?" because it doesn't address anything about the medical school journey (ie. Grades, Extracurriculars, Volunteering opportunities, etc.). I'm wondering if I should write another essay for this that goes into how I couldn't pursue certain opportunities because COVID shut them down, but I just don't feel it's as meaningful as my father being hospitalized.

Do you guys think my story and the lessons I learned answer the prompt? If not, do you think there's a way to shape the story to make it answer the prompt? Thank you!

tldr: Not sure if my story answers the prompt
I think it definitely answers the prompt. I'm also writing about lessons I've learned from the pandemic. Hope everything is well.

I think it definitely answers the prompt. I'm also writing about lessons I've learned from the pandemic. Hope everything is well.
Appreciate it! Likewise, good luck.

How are you guys tackling the hobbies essay? I'm finding it difficult to not write something that sounds super generic...

Members don't see this ad :)
do you know how we format the activities section? do we say like Lab 1 (2 years), Lab 2 (x years), etc? How much description?

Does UMich require any specific courses? I tried looking at their "Prerequisites and Core Competencies" page but I can't find anything substantive.

Is anyone else still awaiting this secondary? Did anyone receive it after 6/30? I'm OOS and above the screening cutoff indicated in MSAR and haven't received it.
just FYI, in case anyone is waiting - I emailed them and I WAS supposed to receive it 6/30, so if you are waiting please reach out! I still don't know exactly why I didn't get it but I am whitelisting them w my email provider and hoping further communications aren't messed up.

For essay 4 would it be risky to write about video games? One of my hobbies is playing indie games and I wrote my other hobby (crocheting) into the primary app, so not sure what else to write other than other craft hobbies.

For essay 4 would it be risky to write about video games? One of my hobbies is playing indie games and I wrote my other hobby (crocheting) into the primary app, so not sure what else to write other than other craft hobbies.
tbh some people say its risky some others have said they have had success. I said screw it and wrote about video games

tbh some people say its risky some others have said they have had success. I said screw it and wrote about video games
I decided against it in the end. I just wrote about my arts and craft hobbies (just bunch of random fun crafts I do sometimes haha)

If i talk about fitness in my primary app as my MME/W&A, should I stay away from talking about it in Umich #4?

• Hmm
How likely is it that July 31st is the first Michigan Monday?
only information ive found regarding this is their website says early august is when they start sending interview invites
so based on that i would think the first michigan monday would be august 7th
this is entirely speculation

• Love
Hello everyone! Current M2 at Michigan who is happy to answer questions about the school! FYI I am not involved in admissions, so I won't have any better info on that timeline than our website. Good luck!

Essay 4
Outside of medicine, and beyond what we can read in your application, please tell us what you’re curious about, or what you’re passionate about, or what brings you joy – and why. Some examples include listening to historical novels, exploring national parks, woodworking, baking cupcakes, podcasting, knitting, playing pickleball, filmmaking, making music, etc. (1500 characters)
For Essay 4, would it be okay if I wrote about a hobby I included in my primary activities section, or should it be completely different?

For Essay 4, would it be okay if I wrote about a hobby I included in my primary activities section, or should it be completely different?
I wrote about a hobby but just expanded in more detail. Not sure if that’s 100% correct, but I decided it was fine for me.

Reactions: 2 users
Hello everyone! Current M2 at Michigan who is happy to answer questions about the school! FYI I am not involved in admissions, so I won't have any better info on that timeline than our website. Good luck!
HUEY P LONG HOMETOWN HERO

• Love
i'm sure this advice has been given elsewhere but hope this is useful to other people lurking. i have a friend who sunk 8000 hours into league of legends and wrote about that and ended up getting many t10 acceptances. on the flip side, a friend who works in admissions says that many post-interview rejections start with "they mentioned playing video games" as a precursor to "oh they have a lack of maturity". might be correlation rather than causation but like many things in the app cycle it's totally a tossup depending on how your reader/interviewer feels

• Sad
  • Wow
Reactions: 2 users
only information ive found regarding this is their website says early august is when they start sending interview invites
so based on that i would think the first michigan monday would be august 7th
this is entirely speculation
Not speculation anymore ig:)

Did any Permanent Residents get a request to submit documents for their status?

I was completed early on in July, but worried them asking for this now in August would potentially delay my file/put it in the back of the line.

I was completed early on in July, but worried them asking for this now in August would potentially delay my file/put it in the back of the line.
Yeah same here... I just submitted it to them. I'm hoping it doesn't delay review as well because I submitted early July.

Since they didn't mention anything about submitting any proof of status during the application, I would hope to assume this means they're interested rather than not having reviewed our app. But maybe that's just me being optimistic. :p

I got the email yesterday too, submitted 7/22. I think they just sent it out to all the PRs lol. I got scared for a sec cuz I was pretty sure I uploaded my card to some school and thought maybe I uploaded a random ass doc to UMich LOL. Did you guys just respond to the email with the documents?

• Wow
I got the email yesterday too, submitted 7/22. I think they just sent it out to all the PRs lol. I got scared for a sec cuz I was pretty sure I uploaded my card to some school and thought maybe I uploaded a random ass doc to UMich LOL. Did you guys just respond to the email with the documents?
I got the same email, sent them the files, and they got back to me almost immediately confirming that they got it

I got the same email, sent them the files, and they got back to me almost immediately confirming that they got it
oop I did not get a confirmation. Did you upload them into the additional uploads section?

Maybe they are waiting to release IIs until Michigan Muesday or even Michigan Mednesday

• Haha
  • Wow
Reactions: 13 users
Looks like schools have just been super late this cycle compared to previous ones, I wonder if it has to do with the SCOTUS decision

Looks like schools have just been super late this cycle compared to previous ones, I wonder if it has to do with the SCOTUS decision
It is definitely possible. I don't remember which schools but I have seen on some threads that some people have reached out to admissions and the committees have said that they have pushed back their schedule because of the SCOTUS decision

• Wow
is their medadmiss twitter page even up? maybe i'm just dumb but i cant find anything with that handle