2023-2024 Emory

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Members don't see this ad :)
Anybody w the portal update but still no letter yet?

Reactions: 1 user
Received an II this week, and I really thought I wouldn’t get one this late in the cycle. I’m now nervous about the interview. Does anyone have any suggestions on how to prepare. I’m really nervous about the group interview

• Love
Reactions: 1 users
Received an II this week, and I really thought I wouldn’t get one this late in the cycle. I’m now nervous about the interview. Does anyone have any suggestions on how to prepare. I’m really nervous about the group interview
Congrats! Best way to prepare is through mock interviews and keeping a calm demeanor. I think one of the most important things to emphasize in the group interview is your genuine passion for medicine as it pertains to the specific questions they ask. My group interview was slightly more stressful than the one-on-one, but they're both pretty conversational and laid back. Best of luck!

Reactions: 3 users
i loved my group! they were so nice (interviewers and interviewees!) and one of my favorite moments from it was when i had to give my answer first and when i was done i was like eh not the best kinda surface level and after both the other interviewees said “yeah i agree with *my name’s* answer” and i was so relieved haha! genuinely best interview, everyone was super nice

Members don't see this ad :)
Are the interviews open-file or not? I've seen some conflicting stuff out there...
It kinda depends on who interviews you. Like if the dean interviews you he'll have read your whole application, but most likely you'll have a faculty MD who says they could only read your primary app I think. Idk he said his info was limited but he asked me about a couple of my work/activities

i was told they read PS and the three Most Meaningful

Reactions: 2 users
Are the interviews open-file or not? I've seen some conflicting stuff out there...
Emory was pretty much the only interview I had where the interviewers knew what I had on my app. Like they actually read my personal statement, which was nice. So yeah they're partially open file–I believe they see your PS and activities, but not your stats.

I wonder if they will send more OOS IIs this week

I think so. I hope august applicants hear back soon as well. This is my dream school. I was complete on 08/02 so I hope more August applicants hear back soon as well.

• Care
Reactions: 5 users
Manifesting an OOS II here! Emory I'm not from Georgia but I'm from the South so take me please

• Care
Reactions: 4 users
Anyone have any insight into the huge gender disparity in last year's class (according to MSAR). Is this consistent or just a one year thing?

Is Emory not OOS friendly? Been really wanting to hear back from them and absolutely nothing. They don't send Rs until the end too right?

Also I haven't been following this thread very much but if anyone else is still hoping for an II from them I recently reached out to ask and there are a "couple more weeks" left to receive an II 🤞🏼

Reactions: 5 users
Is Emory not OOS friendly? Been really wanting to hear back from them and absolutely nothing. They don't send Rs until the end too right?

Also I haven't been following this thread very much but if anyone else is still hoping for an II from them I recently reached out to ask and there are a "couple more weeks" left to receive an II 🤞🏼
Thanks for getting us that update!

They are very OOS friendly and not just for other southern states. It seems like the whole country is pretty well represented in their class and roughly 75% of class is OOS.

The only thing they are not is male-friendly for some reason and accept a disproportionately higher number of women. That has been attributed to their requirements (they require alot of humanities and liberal arts type classes) which men generally don't take, preferring STEM classes instead. But I also have taken those classes and haven't gotten any love from this school so IDK lol.

they are pretty OOS friendly but i do think they value ties to the area or community

23M OOS LM 83 155 lbs 6'1 Vegetarian NKA not from the South but born in the South Philosophy Major pls Emory

• Haha
Reactions: 7 users
23M OOS LM 83 155 lbs 6'1 Vegetarian NKA not from the South but born in the South Philosophy Major pls Emory
this might sound silly and I don't mean to offend whatsoever, but why Emory when you have like 20 T10 IIs?

this might sound silly and I don't mean to offend whatsoever, but why Emory when you have like 20 T10 IIs?
I've wanted to do an EIS fellowship since I was like thirteen and their proximity to CDC means a lot for me. Most of my app has the theme of infectious disease

• Love
Reactions: 6 users
I've wanted to do an EIS fellowship since I was like thirteen and their proximity to CDC means a lot for me. Most of my app has the theme of infectious disease
oh thats sick! manifesting an II for u here

• Love

Emory is OOS friendly, but I think a lot of people forget how ridiculously low-yield it is. They get almost 13k applicants a year usually. Just like all other schools that are that low-yield, their admissions process is definitely a little unpredictable imo. All I know is that they really seemed to value community service in vulnerable populations on interview day. They seemed to appreciate research as well, which is predictable. If you have any good updates that you haven’t sent already, especially if it involves community service, I would totally do it since you’re actually interested in the school! Good luck, but you’re going to get into several more amazing schools anyways!

• Care
What is your top school toasted? If every school you've got an interview from offered you a full scholarship say

What is your top school toasted? If every school you've got an interview from offered you a full scholarship say
Uhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh idk man without going and visiting and talking to students about the curriculum it's hard to say. Overall though I'm leaning towards programs with shorter preclinicals (Vandy, Utah), protected research time (Duke, CCLCM), global health infrastructure (Penn, Iowa, Mayo), and longitudinal clerkship models (Columbia Bassett). We'll see which program at the end has the best combo of the above + best finances

Uhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh idk man without going and visiting and talking to students about the curriculum it's hard to say. Overall though I'm leaning towards programs with shorter preclinicals (Vandy, Utah), protected research time (Duke), global health infrastructure (Penn, Iowa), and longitudinal clerkship models (Columbia Bassett). We'll see
Anchor down my bro

prolly been asked many times but anyone know when emory stops giving out ii's? woman who i've been crushing on for years is doing her nursing residency here i'd do anything to make awkward eye contact with her twice a day

• Haha
Reactions: 14 users
prolly been asked many times but anyone know when emory stops giving out ii's? woman who i've been crushing on for years is doing her nursing residency here i'd do anything to make awkward eye contact with her twice a day
What’s her @? Asking for a friend

• Haha
  • Angry
Nice! when were you complete? mind sharing your stats? Did you happen to send any update letters?
I was complete 8/14! LM score is a 66. I did not send an update letter because I have no updates lol

• Love
Reactions: 6 users
my entire gap year was working at emory, smh i really was hoping for a II here

• Care