2022-2023 William Carey University College of Osteopathic Medicine (WCUCOM)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Officially Withdrew my acceptance today. I was on the alternate list with a position in the 30s. Don't lose hope this is the final stretch guys. Good luck and don't forget to submit update letters and LOIs!
Good luck with everything!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 2 users
youtube GIF

• Haha
  • Care
Reactions: 4 users
Withdrew from alternate list! I was at #18 but have been accepted to a school closer to home. Good luck everyone!

Members don't see this ad :)
Withdrew my acceptance, Hope it goes to one of you guys! good luck

Reactions: 6 users
Does anyone know if the flu shot is required for immunizations? Tried getting one but was told by my local pharmacies that they’re not available till August.

For anyone on the alternate list that feels comfortable, do you mind PM’ing me your rank position? Would love to just gather data points

Reactions: 1 user
Out of curiosity why is WCU still interviewing? They have plenty of people on the alternate and deferred lists and these lists are just going to grow bigger? Do they fear not having enough people saying yes when they get off?

Does anyone know if the flu shot is required for immunizations? Tried getting one but was told by my local pharmacies that they’re not available till August.
unless they've changed it from last year, it is required. most local health departments will have them (i had to get mine at the health department in my home town), but if for some reason you can't find it, I would just email Ms. Martha and let them know! they do a flu vaccine clinic around October on campus and you can probably get it then!

Out of curiosity why is WCU still interviewing? They have plenty of people on the alternate and deferred lists and these lists are just going to grow bigger? Do they fear not having enough people saying yes when they get off?
@Ellesandra319 curious to know your thoughts!

yeah this is one of the frustrating parts of every cycle! unfortunately it all comes down to yield protection. in years past especially as the school was newer they could have anywhere from 30-40% of accepted students drop their A on or after May 15 (the deadline for DO schools people have to decide or potentially face school specific penalties for holding multiples A's). So they want to have students in the hopper in case that happens.

As the school has grown in notoriety and popularity, fewer students drop their A's, but as you saw yesterday and today, there were lots of posts of students withdrawing their A, and that will continue until August 1! and that's only those who are on SDN.

it's a frustrating part of the process to be on Alternate or Deferred, and watch other people still interviewing, but it is a part of the process and happens at every school as they try to make sure their classes are filled come matriculation!

Members don't see this ad :)
yeah this is one of the frustrating parts of every cycle! unfortunately it all comes down to yield protection. in years past especially as the school was newer they could have anywhere from 30-40% of accepted students drop their A on or after May 15 (the deadline for DO schools people have to decide or potentially face school specific penalties for holding multiples A's). So they want to have students in the hopper in case that happens.

As the school has grown in notoriety and popularity, fewer students drop their A's, but as you saw yesterday and today, there were lots of posts of students withdrawing their A, and that will continue until August 1! and that's only those who are on SDN.

it's a frustrating part of the process to be on Alternate or Deferred, and watch other people still interviewing, but it is a part of the process and happens at every school as they try to make sure their classes are filled come matriculation!
got ya, that makes a lot of sense! I personally don't think 30-40% (maybe 20-30%) will drop but as you said having people in the hopper is important, thank you as always!

wakes up to see the Facebook group go up by 5. *budding spiral*

• Care
Hi guys. I interviewed 05/16 and today might be the day I hear my decision. Please wish me luck! Thank you in advance

Reactions: 3 users
Hello, I am a Canadian that was accepted to WCUCOM. I am planning to get a private US loan with a US co-signer. Anyone have any experience or recommendation for which private loan I should take. I have looked at discovery and Sallie Mae so far. Thanks!
when did you get the acceptance

Hello, I am a Canadian that was accepted to WCUCOM. I am planning to get a private US loan with a US co-signer. Anyone have any experience or recommendation for which private loan I should take. I have looked at discovery and Sallie Mae so far. Thanks!
Congratulations

Did anybody who was awaiting decision email heard anything from admissions or got any email yet?

@Ellesandra319 do you reccomend students to get a whole diagnostic kit? Or just a stethoscope
I would NOT buy the $900 diagnostic kit through the school for 2 reasons:
1) you can get everything on amazon for ~$300
2) we had a TON of issues last year with the bookstore not getting scrubs and kits ordered through them in until literally months after classes started.

I would definitely buy an otoscope/opthalmascope kit, reflex hammer, tuning fork, obviously stethoscope, and blood pressure cuff. You are going to need to practice for your CEA's on the weekends, when the ILC is closed, so you'll want to have them to practice at home, and occasionally they'll be like volunteer opportunities where you'll need your BP cuff. any cheap brand is fine as long as it reasonably works, but I would definitely get the specific stethoscope they tell you to get!

I would NOT buy the $900 diagnostic kit through the school for 2 reasons:
1) you can get everything on amazon for ~$300
2) we had a TON of issues last year with the bookstore not getting scrubs and kits ordered through them in until literally months after classes started.

I would definitely buy an otoscope/opthalmascope kit, reflex hammer, tuning fork, obviously stethoscope, and blood pressure cuff. You are going to need to practice for your CEA's on the weekends, when the ILC is closed, so you'll want to have them to practice at home, and occasionally they'll be like volunteer opportunities where you'll need your BP cuff. any cheap brand is fine as long as it reasonably works, but I would definitely get the specific stethoscope they tell you to get!
How many pairs of scrubs do you recommend?

How many pairs of scrubs do you recommend?
Really depends on your preference. I had 5 pairs of scrubs (3 school colored pairs, and 2 anatomy "junk" scrubs) and ended up fine throughout the school year.

Also agree with not buying the entire diagnostic kit (save your $$$). The stethoscope is a must buy for everyone. If you're lucky like me, you can practice your clinical skills with your classmates equipment.

Feel free to ask us any questions since we just finished the school year and have a LOT of free time now ;)

• Haha
Reactions: 3 users
feels like a dumb question to ask but when do they give you specific instructions about what to purchase? or is it just scrubs and the diagnostic kit that we need to have for school?

feels like a dumb question to ask but when do they give you specific instructions about what to purchase? or is it just scrubs and the diagnostic kit that we need to have for school?
I personally only bought scrubs and a stethoscope. They will send you a list with all of the things you should have in your kit, but most people only get a stethoscope since you will use the clinic room instruments for graded exams.

Reactions: 1 users
Lets Go Work GIF by Bounce

Hopefully this week is our week fellow alt list peeps!

Reactions: 4 users
Interviewed this month, placed on alt list a few days, got an email with an A today. Gotta pick bwteen two schools now and I’m torn. Anyone have any advice? My other A is a school offering only private loans.

Interviewed this month, placed on alt list a few days, got an email with an A today. Gotta pick bwteen two schools now and I’m torn. Anyone have any advice? My other A is a school offering only private loans.
What number were you on the alt list?

I would say with private loans def keep in mind you won't qualify for any federal student loan forgiveness that is coming down the pike or PSLF, which could equate to hundreds of thousands of dollars lost so...

So I’m looking at comlex scores and tbh it’s alarming and pretty low. The school I have an A at doesn’t even have a graduated class yet, but still😂

Anyone have recent match rate here

So I’m looking at comlex scores and tbh it’s alarming and pretty low. The school I have an A at doesn’t even have a graduated class yet, but still😂

100% match rate I believe

Pretty high but like most DO schools a majority EM, IM, Fam or Peds

Pretty high but like most DO schools a majority EM, IM, Fam or Peds
This year's graduating class had 65% going into primary care specialties and 20% going into surgery and surgical subspecialties. The 20% is the highest Carey has seen, and I'm sure it will keep growing over the next few years!

Reactions: 1 users