2022-2023 SUNY - Downstate

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
All theory but im thinking they interview ppl later who they think would have a lesser likelihood of committing. I am out of state so I'm thinking that is why my interview was so late.

@turning_pnt mine was the week before yours

Members don't see this ad.

Just to make sure I understood the wording correctly, we need to pay the deposit AND select either plan to enroll or commit to enroll within 14 days so we keep our acceptance right?

So should we expect to see higher waitlist movement this week since the commit to enroll option is available today? This wait is killing me ;-;

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Just to make sure I understood the wording correctly, we need to pay the deposit AND select either plan to enroll or commit to enroll within 14 days so we keep our acceptance right?
yes!

• Love
waiting for WL movement today. was wondering if all of you guys on WL have sent LOI ?

did anyone receive an email from admissions just now saying that they haven't selected SUNY Downstate in CYMS yet? I got the email but literally selected commit to enroll this morning...

Got the A after being WL by email just now. Will be withdrawing once I can get to a computer. Best of luck y’all

Reactions: 11 users
Pleeeease downstate 😭😭🙏🙏

Reactions: 6 users
Hi! I am an accepted student, does anyone have a link to a group I can join for other accepted students/students planning to enroll in the fall?

Hi! I am an accepted student, does anyone have a link to a group I can join for other accepted students/students planning to enroll in the fall?
Same here. I know there's a groupme somewhere but I never found a link

Members don't see this ad :)
got off WL today :’) interviewed mid Feb

Reactions: 3 users
Has anyone else (besides the person who got in earlier) who interviewed in April heard back? I haven’t heard anything so far

Did anyone receive a fairly bland response from the admissions email after sending an update/LOI? can't be a good sign :oops:

So like are all the As with people who have average or above average stats right now?

So like are all the As with people who have average or above average stats right now?
After the admissions committee votes on your score order (5-1), the final rank order and the WL to Acceptance order is based on something called the "priority personal attributes criteria" by the Admissions Oversight Subcommittee (AOS), which are as follows:

1- NYS resident
2- URM
3- Low SES/disadvantaged
4- 1st generation college graduate
5- US Military Service

So our movement off of the WL will depend more on our background at this point rather than GPA/MCAT. I'm willing to bet that the people who were recently moved off the WL met some combination of this criteria.

Reactions: 2 users
After the admissions committee votes on your score order (5-1), the final rank order and the WL to Acceptance order is based on something called the "priority personal attributes criteria" by the Admissions Oversight Subcommittee (AOS), which are as follows:

1- NYS resident
2- URM
3- Low SES/disadvantaged
5- US Military Service

So our movement off of the WL will depend more on our background at this point rather than GPA/MCAT. I'm willing to bet that the people who were recently moved off the WL met some combination of this criteria.
This is great info, thank you! I meet 3/5 of these criteria so hopefully I hear something soon because this wait is torture.

Do you mind sharing where you got this information from though?

1- NYS resident
2- URM
3- Low SES/disadvantaged
5- US Military Service

So an LOI wouldn't help?

my eyes burn from constantly refreshing my email

Reactions: 2 users

1- NYS resident
2- URM
3- Low SES/disadvantaged
5- US Military Service

Also, curious about where you got this info?

This is great info, thank you! I meet 3/5 of these criteria so hopefully I hear something soon because this wait is torture.

Do you mind sharing where you got this information from though?
It's a combination of two Policy Statement pdfs that were released by Downstate in 2019 & 2020. I couldn't find the one from 2021.

I think that Downstate's bad reputation on SDN & Reddit will lead them to offer WL spots to applicants who have not selected "Plan to Enroll" for any school after April 30, since those applicants would definitely choose to attend & offering an acceptance is resource-intensive, since schools have to notify AAMC, portals and logins have to be made, and the financial aid office has to be called into action to draw up a financial aid offer within 24 hours.

I think that Downstate's bad reputation on SDN & Reddit will lead them to offer WL spots to applicants who have not selected "Plan to Enroll" for any school after April 30, since those applicants would definitely choose to attend & offering an acceptance is resource-intensive, since schools have to notify AAMC, portals and logins have to be made, and the financial aid office has to be called into action to draw up a financial aid offer within 24 hours.
I hope you're right 🤞🤞

Got in off the waitlist today!! First A, so excited!!! IS, LM 69, Interviewed in December

• Love
Reactions: 6 users
Got in off the waitlist today!! First A, so excited!!! IS, LM 69, Interviewed in December
Congrats you are gonna be a doctor!!!! Did you hear back just now or earlier today?

Accepted off WL recently. Had "Plan to enroll" selected for another school, never sent Downstate a letter of intent (or thank you email for that matter), and also only meet 1 of the 5 criteria mentioned. Sample size = 1, but I'm not sure how much all those factors matter relative to your actual application review

Reactions: 4 users
Accepted off WL recently. Had "Plan to enroll" selected for another school, never sent Downstate a letter of intent (or thank you email for that matter), and also only meet 1 of the 5 criteria mentioned. Sample size = 1, but I'm not sure how much all those factors matter relative to your actual application review
BDE…lol congratulations tho!

Assuming you also had average/above stats. Im guessing downstate is accepting those with higher ”rankings” first before going to the criteria rubric.

• Haha
Reactions: 1 users
Not sure how much stats has to do with it either… I have a 4.0 and a 100th percentile MCAT so I wish it was stats based haha

It seems pretty futile to guess how they’re deciding.

• Wow
Reactions: 3 users
How many more A’s do we expect this week? I feel like I’m losing my mind, I want to just accept my fate and start reapplying…