2022-2023 Rowan University School of Osteopathic Medicine (RowanSOM)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
II received
OOS, cGPA 3.49, MCAT 507, secondary submitted 8/9, app marked complete 9/7

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 3 users
how does the interview work for this school? is it like a set time block, or is it an interview day that i'll need to take a day off for?

Accepted by email 2 minutes ago!!! 4 Gap years. Took the MCAT 3 times. Third time applying to medical school. Just keep moving forward!

Reactions: 13 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Also got the A today! Interviewed 9/20. I’m also wondering about the deadline to accept the offer. Plus, is anyone planning to do/ interested in the prematric program?

I’ve noticed most people received their acceptances around 4:30-5 pm. Did anyone not get it at that time?

Members don't see this ad :)
Also got the A today! Interviewed 9/20. I’m also wondering about the deadline to accept the offer. Plus, is anyone planning to do/ interested in the prematric program?

I was accepted yesterday as well. As part of my acceptance I am required to do the pre matric program. Hopefully it’s fun and a good way to meet people!

Reactions: 1 user
How long do they usually take to send acceptances if you are regular decision?

I think based on prev waves of acceptances they’ll probably send some on Saturday

The pre-matric program is required for me as well, possibly because I'm in my gap year. Personally, I appreciate the refresh before school starts, but if you're not taking a gap year I'm sure it's helpful too. Also @ambitious-duck I'm RD

Anyone who already had an interview at RowanSOM and found it hard/non-conversational/formal/have comments about what they wish they did differently??

I noticed there are two types of letters we can upload in the “Document Upload” tab in the portal: Letter of Intent and Update Letter.

I assume if I am submitting something prior to my interview, I would submit as an Update Letter. And if I want to submit something after my interview, I would submit a Letter of Intent? Or would I submit either/they’re interchangeable? I want to submit updates but I also want to assert how this is my top choice and I absolutely want to go here. Should I submit a LOI with updates in it? Or separate out the letters? My interview is in less than 2 weeks so I’m wondering what the best thing to do is, considering my interviewer will be viewing anything I submit between now and then.

I was accepted yesterday as well. As part of my acceptance I am required to do the pre matric program. Hopefully it’s fun and a good way to meet people!
Absolutely do pre-matric even if you're not required. I was required, but I'll tell you now that it was the best thing to happen to me. Especially if you are doing PBL (which I also recommend). PBL pre-matric is literally a test run of the first block (pulm). So I started med school with friends, connections to upper class men, and actually knowing what I was doing the first block.

• Love
Reactions: 3 users
Absolutely do pre-matric even if you're not required. I was required, but I'll tell you now that it was the best thing to happen to me. Especially if you are doing PBL (which I also recommend). PBL pre-matric is literally a test run of the first block (pulm). So I started med school with friends, connections to upper class men, and actually knowing what I was doing the first block.
I agree completely! Those who don't take PBL end up regretting it, and I have heard through the grapevine that PBL students do much better in STEP 1. And if you are doing PBL, I would HIGHLY suggest the pre-matric program because your performance is being graded from day 1 of medical school, so if you know what to expect going in, you would have a massive advantage over others in your PBL group. I do want to say regardless of the track (sgl or pbl) you pick, everyone at Rowan will support you no matter what! :)

Reactions: 1 users
Accepted 10/11 to the SGL track with pre-matric required but after looking more into SGL vs PBL I want to know if you can switch to PBL

Accepted 10/11 to the SGL track with pre-matric required but after looking more into SGL vs PBL I want to know if you can switch to PBL
yes, you can. but def reach out to rowansom to see the timeline/deadline by which you are allowed to switch--i believe after a certain point you cannot. i heard somewhere that they actually have you switch if you are not performing well in one track or another (i.e. i assume this means if you fail and do not recuperate).

yes, you can. but def reach out to rowansom to see the timeline/deadline by which you are allowed to switch--i believe after a certain point you cannot. i heard somewhere that they actually have you switch if you are not performing well in one track or another (i.e. i assume this means if you fail and do not recuperate).
great Thanks, do you also know whether class attendance is mandatory, or does it depends on If your in the PBL or SGL track?

great Thanks, do you also know whether class attendance is mandatory, or does it depends on If your in the PBL or SGL track?
Not sure about SGL but for PBL there is technically no class but mini meeting with a group of students and a facilitator to discuss a case pertaining to the topic of the block (ie respiratory system). So you would always need to attend other wise you are basically missing your 'lecture'. (This is to my understanding, if anyone knows better, feel free to add)

I'm a traditional applicant in my final year of undergraduate. I am not saying I will do poorly but I am slightly neurotic. Does anyone know if Rowan will rescind an A for a couple B grades?

I'm a traditional applicant in my final year of undergraduate. I am not saying I will do poorly but I am slightly neurotic. Does anyone know if Rowan will rescind an A for a couple B grades?
My friend, I have a D and got accepted into a school

My friend, I have a D and got accepted into a school
Don't sweat it, as long as you run through the tape and don't just kick back and relax in all of your classes, you'll be OK

from what i can tell, there are a few components that are mandatory (like labs, certain classes like med schol, etc.) but overall, i do not believe regular lectures are mandatory! many people just watch the ECHO recordings at their leisure. I know for PBL, there are no set lectures like there are for SGL, but PBL students are still provided with the lecture recordings. Current SOM students, please correct me if I am wrong

any IIs, OOS?
I'm IS, II last week. I believe Rowan sends out in batches, and only opens up a couple interview dates each month or week or something. Just presuming from what I was told by admissions and the patterns I have noticed. As they open up interview dates, they send out IIs that can be accommodated by those dates. For example, I got an II last week, and when I went into the portal to schedule an interview, there were only 3 dates for the end of October, no dates past October. One of those 3 days were completely booked within 10 mins. So not sure if they schedule a couple dates a month, or maybe send them out bi-weekly to schedule for the following two weeks, etc...

Last edited:
today’s the day next round of acceptances go out idk how I’m going to wait til 4 lol

Can anyone who attended an informational session for Rowan tell me how it went? Do you, as an applicant, have to speak at all or have your camera on?

I started a new job thats hybrid and wondering if I can play the session while working one of my at home days.

Because we're still in training, days off won't be approved and I'm already in a position where I have to miss 1 whole day for another school's interview. Because Rowan does interviews and the info session on different days, I want to see if I can avoid disrupting 3 straight days of training.

How do you know??

I don’t know for sure, but based on the thread people received acceptances the 4th and the 11th, each time around 4 pm. At first it was less predictable when they were doing calls, but the emails seem to be set to certain release times. Someone correct me if I’m wrong though just noticing a pattern

I don’t know for sure, but based on the thread people received acceptances the 4th and the 11th, each time around 4 pm. At first it was less predictable when they were doing calls, but the emails seem to be set to certain release times. Someone correct me if I’m wrong though just noticing a pattern
today’s not the 4th or the 11th tho

Can anyone who attended an informational session for Rowan tell me how it went? Do you, as an applicant, have to speak at all or have your camera on?

I started a new job thats hybrid and wondering if I can play the session while working one of my at home days.

Because we're still in training, days off won't be approved and I'm already in a position where I have to miss 1 whole day for another school's interview. Because Rowan does interviews and the info session on different days, I want to see if I can avoid disrupting 3 straight days of training.
You don’t have to talk but your camera needs to be on and in professional attire. I would email them and ask if you can the next orientation session.

Last edited:
You don’t have to talk but you’re camera needs to be on and in professional attire. I would email them and ask if you can the next orientation session.
Thank you for the reply. Unfortunately I work every day and training is 8 weeks and I just started yesterday, so rescheduling won't help much. I'll talk to my supervisors to see if we can work something out