2022-2023 Michigan State

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Just got a II here. So excited!!! I’m not the best at MMIs. Anyone that had their interview have any advice?

Members don't see this ad.

• Love
Reactions: 3 users
when do they start taking people off the waitlist?

Members don't see this ad :)
How long after your interview should you do this? Also, same with letter of intent?
**anyone have good examples of what to include for thank you/LOI?
I believe "thank you" letters are accepted at any time, but I presume the sooner the better.

In the interview setting, Dr. Maurer said that LOIs and update letters are usually sent if you're added to the waitlist.

Reactions: 1 users
Haven’t heard of any A calls in a while 👀 could this week be the week lol

Reactions: 1 user
Haven’t heard of any A calls in a while 👀 could this week be the week lol
Per their website the remaining decision notification dates are 2/8, 2/22, 3/1, 3/15
I do not know if that is how it has actually been working though!

That is 100% how it's been working. If you're admitted, they'll call you Tuesday evening before the decision day, so tomorrow the 7th

How long after your interview should you do this? Also, same with letter of intent?
**anyone have good examples of what to include for thank you/LOI?
I sent mine a few hours after my interview ended.

Per their website the remaining decision notification dates are 2/8, 2/22, 3/1, 3/15
I do not know if that is how it has actually been working though!
I looked back through the thread and it didn't look like anyone posted any As around the 1/18 or 1/25 decision notification dates. Or maybe those candidates just aren't on sdn.... either way the suspense is killing me lol

Reactions: 2 users
Your thank you or LOI?
Also... do you have any advise on what to include (in either letter)? should I just google examples LOL
My thank you letter. I ended up getting accepted after stating a general thank you and highlighting some specific memorable moments from the day.

Members don't see this ad :)
Has anyone's conditional acceptance changed to a formal acceptance?

My CBC was sparkling clean, finished processing on 01/10/2023, and I released it to the school on 01/10/2023.
wait you have to personally release it? I thought it is automatically sent to all accepted schools?

wait you have to personally release it? I thought it is automatically sent to all accepted schools?
You're right - it is automatically released 10 days from when it's completed. However, there's an option on Certiphi to release it early. I chose to release it on the same day. :)

edit: time

It seems like they're adhering to the 2/8, 2/22, 3/1, 3/15 dates - just got the acceptance call. II received 11/28 and interviewed on 1/25

• Care
  • Love
Reactions: 4 users
I just got the call!!!!! I can’t believe I’m gonna be a Spartan MD. Ahhhhhhh!! Best of luck to you all 🤍🤍🤍

• Love
  • Care
Reactions: 7 users
Has anyone status changed from conditional acceptance to fully accepted? My background check was received by the school 4-5 weeks ago

if you applied to a certificate program, is there a second interview?

On first look day, they said they would be finalizing this by mid-April if I remember correctly and some certificates do have interviews.
Oh really? I hadn't heard about the extra interviews for certificates. Do you recall which certificates have interviews?

Waitlisted today, IS :') #spainwithoutthes

Edit: Interview date 01/13

• Care
Oh really? I hadn't heard about the extra interviews for certificates. Do you recall which certificates have interviews?
I know for sure the rural medicine one does. They say it's more of a conversation than an interview.

• Care
I know for sure the rural medicine one does. They say it's more of a conversation than an interview.
Thanks! That's great to know. I personally signed up for the LMU, so now I'm curious about it!

Currently a lurking M4 with too much free time before match so I'm happy to answer this and anyone else's questions! My experience at CHM has been great and I encourage any of you with acceptances to strongly consider CHM, very underrated school in my opinion especially when comparing my own and my friends' experiences to those of friends at other med schools.

1. First and second year is heavily in-person, this is a fact but is not as bad as it sounds. I went back and looked at my calendars from M1 and M2, we had in-person classes pretty much daily (this changed with COVID but I think it's back to mostly normal). One large-group activity Monday from 8-noon, one simulation lab Thursday 8-noon, and a couple small group activities + path lab + anatomy lab scattered throughout the week. As M1 progresses you have 1-2 clinical days per week that are 4 hours each and where you are basically an MA for a PCP office. The whole MA thing was fun at first especially if you have never had a clinical or patient-facing job previously but got tedious towards the end of the year. Altogether, if you had a full-time job before medical school this will feel incredibly light with regards to demands on your time, if not then it will probably seem like a lot. You will have a TON of time to study / go to the gym / hang out with friends / whatever you like during M1 and M2. Additionally, the only "grades" you get are on 2 board-style exams and 2 clinical skills exams per semester, so essentially the in-person aspect is just for attendance and you can spend your entire time in class doing Anki and studying for Step 1. You will have more time to study for Step 1 than just about any other medical school I've heard of simply because you only have to pass those 4 exams a semester, with the bar for passing being incredibly low during M1 and M2.

2. I know a few people who had dogs and brought them to med school, and others who got a dog during med school. Not sure about figuring out dog sitting with other students but you will not be away from home for more than 4-5 hours most days. On the other hand there are probably infrequent days where you will be gone for 8 hours, so take that into consideration.

3. You get to "choose" EL/GR in the sense that you submit your preference for GR and then get told to go to EL. IIRC something like 70-80% of our class preferenced GR, obviously they cannot accommodate that. If its more than 50% it goes to a lottery. I got placed in EL and honestly it was a blessing in disguise. Cost of living MUCH lower, cool Big10 campus vibe I didn't get to enjoy at my undergrad, beautiful nature in the city and nearby. EL is very underrated and honestly it is what you make of it but I'm glad I was in EL and wouldn't change it if I could go back. FWIW the vibes of the students in EL are much more chill and the GR vibes are much more gunner-y.
why do a lot of students prefer GR?

Definitely thinking ahead but do we know when the 2023 white coat ceremony will be? I know last year it was on Aug. 20th. Asking because I have a wedding to attend on 8/20/23 😅

• Love
Definitely thinking ahead but do we know when the 2023 white coat ceremony will be? I know last year it was on Aug. 20th. Asking because I have a wedding to attend on 8/20/23 😅
Ok, soooo . . . MSU's website said that the '22 white coat ceremony was on Saturday, 08/20/22 at 5:00 PM in the DeVos Performance Hall (Grand Rapids). If they're sticking with a Saturday date, then it may fall on 08/19/23, because 08/20/23 is a Sunday.

Maybe they'll update it. The website is here: OSAS | Office of Admissions | Michigan State University

• Care
Got the A today!! MD/PhD so not quite on MSU's normal schedule. Is there a group chat for accepted students? So excited to be a Spartan :,)

On first look day, they said they would be finalizing this by mid-April if I remember correctly and some certificates do have interviews.
Confirmed! Was contacted for an LMU interview last Friday, 02/10.
Thanks for the heads up.

Anyone know if the interviews are still happening tomorrow re: current events on campus? :(

• Care
I feel so grateful and lucky to have interviewed here. I grew up in East Lansing and have spent countless years and memories on campus. I took my opera lessons at MSU. The MSU center for bleeding and clotting helped me manage the blood clots that caused my amputation. The events that took place last night have weighed extremely heavily on me. Lets all make sure to give our love and support to everyone at MSU who had to live through yet another national tragedy that's embarrassingly common in this country. I am sending all my love to the medical students and adcoms who have to navigate "returning to normal" in light of what has happened and hope they get all the time they need to heal. We are all more than happy to be patient because there are more important things than admissions right now. ❤️

• Care
Reactions: 14 users
Anyone know if the interviews are still happening tomorrow re: current events on campus? :(
They pushed my interview tomorrow for another two weeks. Totally understandable given the situation

I interviewed in December and on December 14 I was referred to the ABLE program. I haven’t heard anything since. I have since gotten accepted to two different DO schools out of state. I prefer to stay in Michigan close to family but the ABLE program isn’t guaranteed….

I read some of the details online about the ABLE program and I saw this:

MSUCHM acceptance is offered to program completers who fulfill the following conditions: 1) an overall cumulative grade point average (GPA) in all classes of ≥ 3.2 during the post-baccalaureate year, 2) complete two first-year medical courses with a passing grade set for medical students, and 3) participate in required Educational Development seminars and academic support programming throughout the ABLE Program. (W. D. Lipscomb, personal communication, December 20, 2014).

Does anyone have any information about the acceptance rate to the ABLE program after getting referred, or at the very least when should I hear back from them?

Last question and sorry for the long post, should I email MSU CHM admissions email and inform them of my other acceptances and the MSU remains my top choice if I’m offered a chance?

Thank you very much in advance for any insight on this!

Can anyone share how the student interview & MMI were for them? Any tips at all would be appreciated!

Does anyone have access to recent match lists for MSUCHM? I've found some in past years' threads, but I'm hoping for more up to date info. Unable to locate on the schools website.