2022-2023 Louisville

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
"If you are a reapplicant, what has changed from your previous application or your approach to this year's admissions cycle?"
Does anyone know if this is referring to if you're a reapplicant to UofL specifically or if you are a reapplicant to any med school? I applied to a few schools last year but this will be my first time applying to UofL. Thanks in advance!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
If anyone else is interested in the answer to this question- I emailed the admissions officers to clarify and they said this prompt only refers to individuals who have applied to UofL in the past.
"If you are a reapplicant, what has changed from your previous application or your approach to this year's admissions cycle?"
Does anyone know if this is referring to if you're a reapplicant to UofL specifically or if you are a reapplicant to any med school? I applied to a few schools last year but this will be my first time applying to UofL. Thanks in advance!

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Is it worth applying to this school as an OOS with no strong ties to Kentucky? I know they admit a decent amount of OOS but just curious if I should with no ties.

FYI for anyone interested in University of Louisville School of Medicine, you may want to reconsider applying here.

M2s received the following email today:

Dear M2 Students,

Recently, the Educational Program Committee (EPC) reviewed student academic outcomes since changing to a pass-fail grading schema for M1-2 in Fall 2019. A review of the data demonstrated that student academic achievement and success in medical school has decreased significantly following the change to a pass-fail curriculum, including serious adverse events like course failure, Step 1 delay, leaves of absence related to academic difficulty, Step 1 failure, and continued academic difficulty into the M3 year.

After significant discussion, the EPC voted to replace the pass-fail grading schema in M1-2 with a grading schema that matches the clerkships: honors, high pass, pass, and fail. The change was specifically discussed for your class and thought to add significant benefit in terms of student overall success as well as ability to distinguish academic performance, so the EPC voted for this change to apply to your class as well as the incoming M1 class. It was also decided that further data analysis was needed to evaluate the grade criteria and cutoffs for each of these new transcript grades in M1-2 courses, and that discussion was scheduled for today’s EPC meeting so that data could be analyzed and developed into a report to support that decision-making. Formal announcement of these changes to your class were held pending those decisions, as they would make the discussion clearer to students.

That discussion occurred today, and the EPC passed:
-No change in pass-fail cutoffs. Students with an overall course score of 70% or above AND a high-stakes average score of 70% or above, will get a grade of Pass as has previously been in place. Using historical data from the last five years, this would mean about 50% of students would get this grade.
-Students with a course average of 85%-91.9999% would be awarded a transcript grade of High Pass. Using historical data from the last five years, this would mean about 35% or more of students in a typical year would get this grade.
-Students with a course average of 92% and above would be awarded a transcript grade of Honors. Using historical data from the last five years, this would mean about 15% or more of students in a typical year would get this grade.

The reasons for making this change are sound and are supported by the collective hundreds of teaching-years experience of your teaching faculty and administrators involved in discussion of this decision, as well as a lot of outcomes data that demonstrate the need for this change, increasing the urgency and need to apply this change to your class.

There is a clear, observable, quantifiable decrease in the health of our learning culture, student academic success overall, and the level of learning that students demonstrate in our curriculum since going to pass-fail, and it has long-term consequences for the individual student as well as for the class. Changing to a more stratified grading system also provides clear, unequivocal benefit to the at least 50% of the student body who will qualify for higher transcript grades that help them show they are competitive for residency, as well as boosting the health of the learning environment and expectations for learning, which benefits all students. We also have significant evidence that students who come into medical school with greater academic need are especially affected negatively by the pass-fail grading system, and have suffered the most in terms of academic and personal distress, and that continuing in a pass-fail curriculum is a disservice to them as well. Like all of the decisions made by the EPC’s governance of the school, this change was made to only to benefit students and serve them better, not to adversely affect them.

However, when this EPC decision was discussed with your class leaders, they conveyed some fear, concerns, and questions from the class with a need for more information about the rationale for this change, and indicated the class desired more feedback to be given to the EPC by students regarding this decision. We understand there is a lot that students may want to ask bout this and seek to understand about this decision, and that they may wish to give feedback on a decision they feel affects them strongly. We believe it is important to honor this as part of due process and are also on a tight timeline to get this to all happen and have everything in place for you at the start of your school year, and need to act quickly for this to work. This request to directly present this change for the M2 class to students and gather feedback for EPC was conveyed today by your EPC representative [redacted] to the EPC, and was approved. We will hold a virtual town hall for your class tomorrow at 12 pm EST (link here), and will have a feedback form link that is posted in that session for you to give feedback on this, if desired.

TL;DR: ULSOM has changed the preclinical grading scale from Pass/Fail to Honors/High Pass/Pass/Fail without input from students effective immediately for both M1 and M2 classes
In case anyone is still concerned about this, our EPC voted again within the week of them notifying us of the change once us M2s expressed overwhelming dissent about it. From our understanding, the Class of 2027 will be the first class with the new grading scale but this change was not put into effect for our class or the M1s. While I agree with my classmate's previous comments about this in reference to our class and the one beneath us it would've affected, I think this could potentially be advantageous for those of you who enroll here, as you'll have 100% transparency with this grade stratification well before matriculation and also have the consistency in both pre-clinical years being in the same grading format without needing some asterisk in your transcript about the change when residency applications start going out. Good luck with your application cycle!

• Wow
Reactions: 2 users
II just now! LizzyM 74 ORM RD OOS but strong ties to the city. All interviews are virtual per my updated portal

Edit: complete 7/6

• Love
Reactions: 5 users
Something that may be helpful: I emailed the school and was told that as an applicant who went to an undergrad with a pre-health advisory committee and chose not to use their service (variety of reasons), I was required to email them an explanation as to why I made that decision after receiving a secondary from them. I submitted my secondary and emailed them a statement, which they then added to my file. If your undergrad does not have a committee, this is not important. Just thought I'd share :)

What prompted you to email them? Just curious. As an in state applicant with no correspondence since I submitted my secondary, I want to make sure I’m not missing anything

OOS, RD, 4.0 GPA, and 507 MCAT - submitted secondary/complete on 7/7 and haven't gotten any updates

Reactions: 1 user
OOS, RD, 4.0 GPA, and 507 MCAT - submitted secondary/complete on 7/7 and haven't gotten any updates

Same stats but in-state and submitted later than you. Complete 8/4. No updates here either!

Interview invite this morning!

3.9/507/in-state/solid ECs

II received! OOS with ties to the region

Reactions: 3 users
Can anyone that is a current student at the school tell me about their overall experience and the overall culture of the school

Members don't see this ad :)
ACCEPTED EARLY DECISION! I'm going to med school!

• Love
  • Care
Reactions: 15 users
Wow congratulations!!!
Thank you! I think we interviewed together on the 1st. I know they don't start send out RD acceptances until mid October at the earliest, but good luck to you! I'll be following the thread and rooting for you!

Thank you! I think we interviewed together on the 1st. I know they don't start send out RD acceptances until mid October at the earliest, but good luck to you! I'll be following the thread and rooting for you!
Oh haha I guess if we both get accepted then we can reveal our identities :) congrats again!

II yesterday 9/22 at 1:30 PM EST. LM 62 501/3.6 OOS, no ties, RD
Complete 7/20

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: 5 users
Does anyone that already interviewed remember if they said decisons could be sent out on exactly October 15th (Saturday) or will they start on the following Monday/Wednesday?

Does anyone that already interviewed remember if they said decisons could be sent out on exactly October 15th (Saturday) or will they start on the following Monday/Wednesday?
I interviewed a few weeks ago and was told that decisions would begin rolling out on Oct 17! I actually screenshot the slide.

I interview in a week, you got any pointers for me
Everyone’s experience is slightly different depending on who you have as interviewers but I had one MS2 interviewer and one PHD interviewer. Both were super nice and it was evident they had spent a good bit of time reading through my application and essays because 99% of the questions I received were based off of my past experiences and essays.

Make sure you have prepared “tell me about yourself” and “why our school” but other than that, just let conversation flow! Know your application well and you will do fine :)

Everyone’s experience is slightly different depending on who you have as interviewers but I had one MS2 interviewer and one PHD interviewer. Both were super nice and it was evident they had spent a good bit of time reading through my application and essays because 99% of the questions I received were based off of my past experiences and essays.

Make sure you have prepared “tell me about yourself” and “why our school” but other than that, just let conversation flow! Know your application well and you will do fine :)
Awesome, thanks for the tips!

Just got the A via email this morning! IS and interviewed early.

• Love
Reactions: 4 users
Also got accepted via email this morning at 10:00AM!

Just received the acceptance email! IS, 512 MCAT, 3.84 undergrad, 3.8 science, Interviewed 9/29.

+1 acceptance email just now!!!

Reactions: 3 users
Accepted via email! Interviewed 9/20, OOS ORM, strong ties, LM 74

Can a current student please provide their experience at this school.

Since interviews were virtual, does anyone know if ULSOM is offering in-person tours of pre-clinical/clinical facilities for accepted applicants?

Can a current student please provide their experience at this school.
I’m an M2 who is always lurking around SDN if anyone ever has questions.

The vibe overall is pretty chill, it’s a big state school so there are a bunch of resources (mental health, research, and more). We had more people than normal delay/fail step this year in the M3/covid class and the administration is really making a bunch of changes to step preparation for our m2 class. They’re taking more of a hands on approach with review/preparation and they bought UWorld for us this year which is nice. Louisville is a cool city to live in too, tons of stuff to do and plenty of breweries. Definitely don’t have any regrets about choosing Louisville. Hope this helps!

I’m an M2 who is always lurking around SDN if anyone ever has questions.

The vibe overall is pretty chill, it’s a big state school so there are a bunch of resources (mental health, research, and more). We had more people than normal delay/fail step this year in the M3/covid class and the administration is really making a bunch of changes to step preparation for our m2 class. They’re taking more of a hands on approach with review/preparation and they bought UWorld for us this year which is nice. Louisville is a cool city to live in too, tons of stuff to do and plenty of breweries. Definitely don’t have any regrets about choosing Louisville. Hope this helps!

Is it true that the class of 2027 is going to be moved to H/HP/P/F for pre clinical?

Is it true that the class of 2027 is going to be moved to H/HP/P/F for pre clinical?
Yep that’s correct (for reference it was strictly P/F before). They added the Honors/High Pass/Pass tiers but it’s still a 70% or above to pass.

• Wow
II received today! OOS 507! Complete 7/18

Has anyone else had no communication from U of L? Submitted a secondary 7/12, IS, 3.72, 501, solid ECs.

Withdrew my application. Hopefully my interview slot goes to one of you guys!

• Care
Reactions: 4 users