2022-2023 Kansas City University of Medicine and Biosciences (Kansas City) KCU-COM

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Just withdrew my acceptance for KCU-KC. Good luck to everyone!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
I wonder if you might be confusing this school with the newer DO school KHSC-COM?
The names are very similar, and KCU-COM is the longer-established one.
I’m thinking the same thing. I got mixed up on the threads many months ago when I was applying.

Reactions: 1 user
For the scholarship essay that asks about the KCU mission, do you think it's asking about the overall KCU mission or specifically the KCU COM mission? I'm Not sure which to write to since they're slightly different.

Members don't see this ad :)
For the scholarship essay that asks about the KCU mission, do you think it's asking about the overall KCU mission or specifically the KCU COM mission? I'm Not sure which to write to since they're slightly different.
I'd go with the KCU-COM mission

KCU has very established rotation sites. They also have many in-house residency options which many DO schools do not have.
M4 here and I sort of disagree with this. Truly depends on how the cards are dealt for you. Some core sites are amazing (Michigan, Florida and KC to an extent), others not so much. I personally had no problems and probably got the lucky end of the deal but I've had friends who had to set up half of their third year, or were interested in fields like OBGYN but KCU couldn't give them a decent rotation in it (ex: FM who rarely sees OB/GYN as your OBGYN rotation for example). That said, this isn't really unique to KCU and is just how it works in the DO world. In terms of in house residency programs, I would say it is pretty lacking in this department as well. The residency program rotations we go to aren't truly "in house" for us the way they are for schools like PCOM or MSU.

Don't get me wrong, KCU is a solid school, but if you can go to PCOM or a state DO school, pick those if you want guaranteed good rotations for third year. KCU is very hit or miss.

Reactions: 3 users
M4 here and I sort of disagree with this. Truly depends on how the cards are dealt for you. Some core sites are amazing (Michigan, Florida and KC to an extent), others not so much. I personally had no problems and probably got the lucky end of the deal but I've had friends who had to set up half of their third year, or were interested in fields like OBGYN but KCU couldn't give them a decent rotation in it (ex: FM who rarely sees OB/GYN as your OBGYN rotation for example). That said, this isn't really unique to KCU and is just how it works in the DO world. In terms of in house residency programs, I would say it is pretty lacking in this department as well. The residency program rotations we go to aren't truly "in house" for us the way they are for schools like PCOM or MSU.

Don't get me wrong, KCU is a solid school, but if you can go to PCOM or a state DO school, pick those if you want guaranteed good rotations for third year. KCU is very hit or miss.
would you be able to expand on how students were assigned core sites? You mentioned luck, but is there any sort of ranking/matching process a student has to go through and are there any ways students increase their likelihood for attending certain sites (ex. would higher academic standing = first pick)?

Reactions: 2 users

Would you still recommend students go to a state school even if that one would have graded curriculum? KCU’s rotation sites/“in house residencies”/lack of research make me nervous, and my alternative option would be much better in those areas but the other school is graded and moves me and my SO further away from family. Everyone is pushing for me to go to KCU (and realistically I also want it to be the better option), but I don’t want to have screwed myself over when it’s time to match.

would you be able to expand on how students were assigned core sites? You mentioned luck, but is there any sort of ranking/matching process a student has to go through and are there any ways students increase their likelihood for attending certain sites (ex. would higher academic standing = first pick)?
It's a lottery system where every student ranks the sites and it matches you up. You can write Appeal letters or hardship letters if you have ties to a certain site (ie are from there or have a house/family in KC or Joplin etc.)

• Wow
Would you still recommend students go to a state school even if that one would have graded curriculum? KCU’s rotation sites/“in house residencies”/lack of research make me nervous, and my alternative option would be much better in those areas but the other school is graded and moves me and my SO further away from family. Everyone is pushing for me to go to KCU (and realistically I also want it to be the better option), but I don’t want to have screwed myself over when it’s time to match.
Hmm hard to say without knowing what the alternative school is. But I'd say the only schools I would take over KCU are MD schools, PCOM and state DOs. Maybe CCOM if you're ok with (or know for sure you won't be) 400k in debt.

If you choose KCU, I do have one pro-tip - it's to join a specialty honors track in third year. You will stay in KC guaranteed and will have a better chance of snagging the good rotations. BUT this is not a guarantee and is mostly anecdotal from me as it's something I observed since I was in one and ran into the same people (who are in honors tracks) at my rotations.

My main concern with KCU is that I have heard from other students that the school does not have established rotations set up, and students have had to find their own rotations. Also, I have heard that during rotations, students are not allowed to access patient charts. Do you know anything about this?
Yeah this is completely false. As a current 3rd year there are over 20 rotation sites all over the country and all are very easy to navigate. Idk how you would do a rotation without access to patient charts it would actually be impossible. No one has ever NOT had access to patient charts. You can find your own rotations but thats only if you really want a specific location that KCU doesnt have an established rotation. I know someone doing their entire 3rd year in DC. They had to find preceptors for every rotation but if you really want to do it and really want a specific area, you can make it work.

Reactions: 3 users
Have any current KCU students completed the masters? I have an interview this week and would love to get some more info on it

Hmm hard to say without knowing what the alternative school is. But I'd say the only schools I would take over KCU are MD schools, PCOM and state DOs. Maybe CCOM if you're ok with (or know for sure you won't be) 400k in debt.

If you choose KCU, I do have one pro-tip - it's to join a specialty honors track in third year. You will stay in KC guaranteed and will have a better chance of snagging the good rotations. BUT this is not a guarantee and is mostly anecdotal from me as it's something I observed since I was in one and ran into the same people (who are in honors tracks) at my rotations.
This is no longer a thing. They changed it last year, you can join a specialty track and not have to stay in KC. But it also doesn't guarantee you a spot in KC.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey was lookingg for some hope from people that were accepted off the WL last cycle. If you feel comfortable sharing stats that's great too!
Accepted off waitlist last year. Go ahead

pre II R. was on the qualified list.
email said they are done interviewing and their cycle is finished.

I got the email saying they are no longer processing the applications for this cycle but I have already interviewed and waiting for the decision. Does this email mean anything?

I got the email saying they are no longer processing the applications for this cycle but I have already interviewed and waiting for the decision. Does this email mean anything?
It was probably just a mass email to like 90% of their list. I wouldn’t sweat it too much!

Does KCU yield protect or something? I have a 512 mcat/3.9 gpa with mediocre ECs and applied two years in a row. Qualified list/Rejection both times with no ii.

Does KCU yield protect or something? I have a 512 mcat/3.9 gpa with mediocre ECs and applied two years in a row. Qualified list/Rejection both times with no ii.
Sounds like it if that’s the case. Sorry about your luck with them.

“Thank you for your interest and application to KCU. At this time, our Class of 2027 spots are full and we are no longer processing applications for the incoming class. We encourage you to apply for the next cycle.”

I already interviewed. I hope they are sending this to everyone. Gave a me a scare.

Got an A with 511 MCAT, although low uGPA and good SMP performance. Maybe??

If they are done interviewing does that mean WL movement will start soon? Seems earlier than other cycles

Got an R earlier post II bc "stats low" but had Joplin first preference and apparently Joplin's MCAT avg is a 499 so nothing makes sense anymore

“Thank you for your interest and application to KCU. At this time, our Class of 2027 spots are full and we are no longer processing applications for the incoming class. We encourage you to apply for the next cycle.”

I already interviewed. I hope they are sending this to everyone. Gave a me a scare.
Are you waiting for post-interview decision or on the wait list? I interviewed in December and was waitlisted, but did not get that email today.

I am on the waitlist too (waitlisted from 9/13 session) and didn’t get that email either!

I would email and ask for clarification. Maybe they are sending that to all who had yet to hear back?

I was WL from my interview in September and didn’t receive this email but it would be genuinely awful of them to interview you and give you this email as your decision

Got an email about this claiming it was an error:

“It has been brought to my attention that you received a message from KCU stating we are no longer processing application. You received that message in error. PLEASE DISREGARD!

Your application is still active and will be reviewed for an admission decision. Thank you for your patience and I apologize for the miscommunication on our part.”

Interviewed 3/14

Got an email about this claiming it was an error:

“It has been brought to my attention that you received a message from KCU stating we are no longer processing application. You received that message in error. PLEASE DISREGARD!

Your application is still active and will be reviewed for an admission decision. Thank you for your patience and I apologize for the miscommunication on our part.”

Interviewed 3/14
I got the same email with PLEASE DISREGARD in red

Got an R earlier post II bc "stats low" but had Joplin first preference and apparently Joplin's MCAT avg is a 499 so nothing makes sense anymore
I hope you're not discouraged. It's easy to look at these thresholds and try to reason out why you didn't get in. There is no singular part of an application that determines your entry into medical school and you know that. Maybe those individuals who have lower than average MCATs have stellar work experience and a great story that shows their passion to medicine? You can ponder all you want but the longer you do the more time you waste on investing that in your application for next cycle. Keep yourself moving forward and you'll get in somewhere.

I don't think so, there are plenty of people in my class with higher stats than that. KCU puts a lot of stock in the whole application and they are very serious about protecting the culture here -you just might not be a good fit.

I hope you're not discouraged. It's easy to look at these thresholds and try to reason out why you didn't get in. There is no singular part of an application that determines your entry into medical school and you know that. Maybe those individuals who have lower than average MCATs have stellar work experience and a great story that shows their passion to medicine? You can ponder all you want but the longer you do the more time you waste on investing that in your application for next cycle. Keep yourself moving forward and you'll get in somewhere.
I asked admissions why I didn’t get in and they said stats, luckily I do have an A but still stings

I asked admissions why I didn’t get in and they said stats, luckily I do have an A but still stings
Yeah, I personally believe that any reason given by administration is usually a vague response. If administration gives you viable advice and is supportive of your pursuit in medicine I think those are the schools worth re-applying to. If some straight up tell you that you won't make it, more than likely they wouldn't support you as a student personally. I'd take that with a grain of salt to be honest unless it does truly represent what your application stats were. Whatever it may be, just keep going, have a strong mentality and show you really are meant for this by persistence.

Wish you the best of luck in your endeavors.

Yeah, I personally believe that any reason given by administration is usually a vague response. If administration gives you viable advice and is supportive of your pursuit in medicine I think those are the schools worth re-applying to. If some straight up tell you that you won't make it, more than likely they wouldn't support you as a student personally. I'd take that with a grain of salt to be honest unless it does truly represent what your application stats were. Whatever it may be, just keep going, have a strong mentality and show you really are meant for this by persistence.

Wish you the best of luck in your endeavors.
this was a while ago so I'm over it now tbh but thank you for your kind words!

Tasteful 24 hour gap between full rejection and the masters program invite 😂😂

Reactions: 5 users
Tasteful 24 hour gap between full rejection and the masters program invite 😂😂
Lol I received that too...
Can anyone speak on their experience in the Masters program? Particularly, the acceptance rate into KCUCOM with that "guaranteed" interview?

The fact that the email is worded as if they really took the time to send this to qualified applicants only and reviewed people’s apps in depth, and I was never rejected, I just got accepted elsewhere before KCU even sent me their secondary so I didn’t bother sending one in… kind of rubs me the wrong way lol. They didn’t even separate out who FINISHED the application process from who they rejected. It’s not a special invitation, doesn’t that just make it a generic invitation for all then lmao?

• Haha
The general rejection followed by the seemingly specific rejection threw me off. I'm pretty surprised DO schools are full even before MD this time around!

For those that got an A, how long after did you receive financial info? Do I have to pay the acceptance deposit first then they’ll send something?

For those that got an A, how long after did you receive financial info? Do I have to pay the acceptance deposit first then they’ll send something?

i got my scholarship back in december right before the first deadline to pay deposit was. but i’m assuming they will not send fin aid until you submit fafsa. priority deadline for that passed on wed but i assume you can still send it in

i got my scholarship back in december right before the first deadline to pay deposit was. but i’m assuming they will not send fin aid until you submit fafsa. priority deadline for that passed on wed but i assume you can still send it in
I already had their school in my FAFSA list before the interview. It’s been a while now. Also been over a week since my A…

Oh and for the homies next cycle:
II date: 11/08. Interview: 2/09. A: 3/08

I already had their school in my FAFSA list before the interview. It’s been a while now. Also been over a week since my A…
same... i submitted mine and it was processed back in January and I have not heard anything.