2022-2023 Charles R. Drew University

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I'm going to make an insane prediction and I need @Moms_spaghetti and others interviewing today to confirm. I think CDU's first year class is getting full-tuition. If I am wrong I need you all to downvote this post to hell.
at this stage, they have only mentioned a few scholarships but none of these would be full tuition. The tuition is expected to be about 70k and this applies to in-state and oos students. It all depends on how much funds they are able to raise.

Members don't see this ad.

Omg the cost is making me reconsider my app I also am not sure if I meet their biochem requirements so I hope they screen for that to save issues down the line

70k for tuition alone is ode. That + cost of living in LA can easily total 100k+

• Sad
Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Me casually swimming in my ocean of student loans + interest. This is fun
Dolphin Swimming GIF

• Haha
at this stage, they have only mentioned a few scholarships but none of these would be full tuition. The tuition is expected to be about 70k and this applies to in-state and oos students. It all depends on how much funds they are able to raise.
I'm listing OOS tuition prices since I don't live in California or any of the states these schools are in

Morehouse $47,711
Howard $52,446
Meharry $57,243

Charles Drew $70,000

All of these schools are private HBCUS and I'm sure Drew will have the highest cost of living since it's in LA. They really want to make sure we are serious about underserved communities because we'll need loan forgiveness to forgive these ungodly loans. :rofl:

• Sad
Omg the cost is making me reconsider my app I also am not sure if I meet their biochem requirements so I hope they screen for that to save issues down the line
yeah the price is high. What makes it harder is that they do not have any housing for students.

• Sad
Reactions: 1 user
So I'm reading up on the their admissions timeline and it looks like the interviews go from DEC 2022 to APR 2023. It states that admissions are distributed starting March 15th, 2023. Does this mean we need to wait like 3 months if we interview in December to know the results?
yeah unfortunately this seems to be the case. March is when we would hear back. At least that is what someone from ADCOM mentioned.

I wonder how many people they are interviewing for their first class. Since they aren't doing rolling admissions, does that mean they are interviewing fewer people for their 60 seats?

And does anyone know how much there tuition might be for instate and out of state because I didn't see anything on their website or the MSAR for their MD program.
I don't think you can assume that. I think they will interview more students. From what I have heard, they will just rank you according to your app, interview, secondary etc... and send acceptances based on that. There will also be a waitlist.

I don't think you can assume that. I think they will interview more students. From what I have heard, they will just rank you according to your app, interview, secondary etc... and send acceptances based on that. There will also be a waitlist.
TBH, if the tuition price itself is true then forget what I said about interviewing less students lmao because they'll need a big pool of qualified applicants (speaking as a low SES applicant)

Reactions: 1 users
I'm listing OOS tuition prices since I don't live in California or any of the states these schools are in

Morehouse $47,711
Howard $52,446
Meharry $57,243

Charles Drew $70,000

All of these schools are private HBCUS and I'm sure Drew will have the highest cost of living since it's in LA. They really want to make sure we are serious about underserved communities because we'll need loan forgiveness to forgive these ungodly loans. :rofl:
COL is highhhhh in DC (best to live in pg county md/DC line if you want to be close but a lil cheaper housing or have a bunch of roommates lol).
Nashville is increasing in COL as well but still far from DMV prices. Meharry has a lot of on campus housing and building new housing as well.

I’m a little concerned about the tuition. I’m not surprised because they are a private institution but they do advocate that though they are private they have a public mission. They say they are looking for diverse students that will be committed to serving the south LA community. However, they want to charge the same students a really high tuition racking up student debt, which would make it harder for those students to forgo high paying positions for a less lucrative position serving the underserved communities. I understand why they have high tuition: they are a new school that will need more faculty, better infrastructure and technology to cultivate strong and competitive students for residency programs which will make the school look good. I just hope they will have multiple avenues to help students afford the tuition and help them avoid crippling debt

Reactions: 6 users

Morehouse $47,711
Howard $52,446
Meharry $57,243

Charles Drew $70,000

I’ve already forgiven my self for past and future loans 💅🏽

• Haha
Reactions: 11 users
Members don't see this ad :)
For those who did their interview. How did it go for you? I thought mine went well but I felt 20mins wasn’t enough. I felt a little rushed whenever I was giving my answers. I had a lot of questions about the program but we didn’t have time to get to them. Overall though the interviewers were really nice and personable. How did y’all feel about it?

• Wow
For those who did their interview. How did it go for you? I thought mine went well but I felt 20mins wasn’t enough. I felt a little rushed whenever I was giving my answers. I had a lot of questions about the program but we didn’t have time to get to them. Overall though the interviewers were really nice and personable. How did y’all feel about it?
I second this

Oh wow...was it closed file?

Does anyone know the tuition for the new medical school?

II for Monday! Super excited

• Love
  • Care
Reactions: 8 users
II for January 4th. 1st one of the cycle for me so far. Super stoked!!!

30yo non-trad IS, sub 500 MCAT, 3.0 overall (3.89 post bacc 52 credits from 2019-2022)

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: 13 users

30yo non-trad IS, sub 500 MCAT, 3.0 overall (3.89 post bacc 52 credits from 2019-2022), ER Tech since 2015, bunch of other extra curriculars.
Congrats! When were you complete?

30yo non-trad IS, sub 500 MCAT, 3.0 overall (3.89 post bacc 52 credits from 2019-2022), ER Tech since 2015, bunch of other extra curriculars.
i guess theres 500 for sub 500

Has anyone who submitted the secondary 12/5 received an II?

Has anyone who submitted the secondary 12/5 received an II?
Yes. Someone with that complete date got it the very first day IIs were sent out. Check thread history

Yea that’s crazy 70k for a new school that just opened up. I knew there was a catch to it, plus they don’t even have enough resources on that CDU Campus for students. The classrooms are really small.

• Wow
Yea that’s crazy 70k for a new school that just opened up. I knew there was a catch to it, plus they don’t even have enough resources on that CDU Campus for students. The classrooms are really small.
Unfortunately, my crazy ass is willing to accept this because of getting an MD. :cryi:

On top of the cost of living. I was really hoping to live alone in med school, but it seems like you really have to have a roommate to make ends meet. Not that I wasn’t already expecting CA rent to be high. lol

Hopefully they provide free therapy for all this financial stress.
Same!!! *Starts selling feet pics to afford rent*

• Haha
If the incoming class is a wild as this thread is, I think I'll enjoy this school. ;)

• Haha
  • Care
Reactions: 4 users
Look, lemme get an interview and acceptance, i promise you gonna be LMAO all 4 years.🤣🤣🤣

• Haha
got an II on 12/15 scheduled for early jan. turned in my secondary on 11/22

Any international students with II here? They told me via email that they weren’t considering international students but their website says otherwise.

Any international students with II here? They told me via email that they weren’t considering international students but their website says otherwise.
I'd defer to what they said via email here tbh

The interviews go by too fast gawd damn. As others are saying, there isn't much time to ask questions if you talk too much like I did :rofl:. The wait until March is going to be brutal, but I'm wishing everyone the best!

Also, just to reiterate as others have said, it's closed file, two-20 minute interviews

Can't discuss more due to the confidentiality clause but their interview is not something to stress over

Reactions: 9 users
The interviews go by too fast gawd damn. As others are saying, there isn't much time to ask questions if you talk too much like I did :rofl:. The wait until March is going to be brutal, but I'm wishing everyone the best!

Also, just to reiterate as others have said, it's closed file, two-20 minute interviews

Can't discuss more due to the confidentiality clause but their interview is not something to stress over
Lol! Now im not worried as much for talking too much

are the two interviews in one day or separate ?