2022-2023 CA University of Science and Medicine

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Anyone else getting hella annoyed with the constant apply now emails?! I get so many and I applied a long time ago. I keep thinking their important interview invites or decisions and it’s nothing! Lol 🥲

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 2 users
Anyone else getting hella annoyed with the constant apply now emails?! I get so many and I applied a long time ago. I keep thinking their important interview invites or decisions and it’s nothing! Lol 🥲
it honestly depresses me to see "apply now" emails to programs that I have already applied to. It makes me feel like my app was so bad that they are essentially telling me to apply again.

• Care
Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
same and I havent even gotten their secondary lolzzzz

Reactions: 1 user
Waitlisted. Just interviewed last Friday. It’s such a quick but disappointing turnaround :(

• Care
Received the A email this morning! Interviewed 10/14!

• Love
Reactions: 4 users
Congrats to everyone accepted and waitlisted. I interviewed 10/14 and still waiting. Anyone else interviewed that date and still waiting? q.q

Hi new applicants! I am a current M2 and a Student Ambassador here at CUSM, so if later in the cycle you're invited to an interview it's possible you'll see me during the interview day. The application process is long and stressful as I'm sure you all know, so if I can help with any of your questions or concerns please feel free to tag me or send me a dm! Best of luck to you all during this new application cycle you guys got this!
hi im just stalking this thread i realize this is a late response lol. that said, do u know if the msar stats are accurate? in particular the oos # of applicants/interviewed/accepted?

Members don't see this ad :)
hi im just stalking this thread i realize this is a late response lol. that said, do u know if the msar stats are accurate? in particular the oos # of applicants/interviewed/accepted?
My previous subscription to MSARs has expired so I'm not able to check, but if it's on MSAR then I'd say it's most likely true. If you have numbers or a screenshot from MSAR you can post that would help. Ultimately the majority of interviewed and accepted applicants will be from so cal because of CUSM's mission to provide physicians for the IE.

I'm an M4 at CUSM, happy to answer any questions for the next few hours about the program. I'll give you an honest answer good or bad. I will say our current M4s are getting residency interviews for competitive specialties and competitive residencies. We are seeing interviews to UCSF, UCLA, USC, UCI, LLU, Northwestern, Uchicago, etc across various specialties

• Care
I'm an M4 at CUSM, happy to answer any questions for the next few hours about the program. I'll give you an honest answer good or bad. I will say our current M4s are getting residency interviews for competitive specialties and competitive residencies. We are seeing interviews to UCSF, UCLA, USC, UCI, LLU, Northwestern, Uchicago, etc across various specialties
Do you know how people applying to ortho are doing?

How have your experiences rotating at ARMC and other regional sites been? Do you feel like you have had a lot of flexibility to explore what you want to? Is there support from admin to help you seek out away rotations?

How have your experiences rotating at ARMC and other regional sites been? Do you feel like you have had a lot of flexibility to explore what you want to? Is there support from admin to help you seek out away rotations?
How have your experiences rotating at ARMC and other regional sites been?

You get a lot of autonomy at ARMC for most rotations. You see the patient, write the note, and present an assessment and plan to the attending physician in most rotations. That being said the hours during 3rd year can be rough, upwards of 80+ hours a week on heavy surgery rotations. It's a safety net county hospital so everyone you see is generally lower income and has several poorly controlled chronic health problems that complicate diagnosis and treatment. It's a level 1 trauma center so you'll be busy on trauma service. I'd say it's a great training experience, but I wish the workload was lighter. ARMC has been hosting students from nearby DO schools and Caribbean students for decades, so they are used to having students around. Most attending physicians are friendly and willing to teach. They understand your limitations as a student and work with you to improve. The only other site I've been to was Inland Valley Medical Center in Temecula, which I enjoyed as well.

Do you feel like you have had a lot of flexibility to explore what you want to?

One of the biggest things I don't like about this school. As someone who is applying to a specialty that isn't part of the 3rd year core rotations, there is very little time between the end of 3rd year and the start of residency applications to explore that specialty. However, with Step 1 moving pass/fail our school has been rapidly shifting around the curriculum. The way my experience was structured is very different from what it is now. Last I heard the M2s finish a semester early and have a distinction semester, and you may be able to start 3rd year earlier. I may be wrong. If you already know what specialty you're interested in, there's plenty of support and resources to get you connected with the right people. ARMC has almost all the major specialties.

Is there support from admin to help you seek out away rotations?

I will say there are attempts to support you, but you'll have to do 95% of the work yourself. That being said, that's how your experience will be at almost any med school you choose. The faculty advisors and most admin at this school do not understand the current state and technology of medical education. Medical school admin is always 10-15 years behind the times. For example, almost everyone across all medical schools uses the same 2-3 board prep materials to learn the foundations of medicine instead of in-house lectures.

Reactions: 3 users
How have your experiences rotating at ARMC and other regional sites been?

You get a lot of autonomy at ARMC for most rotations. You see the patient, write the note, and present an assessment and plan to the attending physician in most rotations. That being said the hours during 3rd year can be rough, upwards of 80+ hours a week on heavy surgery rotations. It's a safety net county hospital so everyone you see is generally lower income and has several poorly controlled chronic health problems that complicate diagnosis and treatment. It's a level 1 trauma center so you'll be busy on trauma service. I'd say it's a great training experience, but I wish the workload was lighter. ARMC has been hosting students from nearby DO schools and Caribbean students for decades, so they are used to having students around. Most attending physicians are friendly and willing to teach. They understand your limitations as a student and work with you to improve. The only other site I've been to was Inland Valley Medical Center in Temecula, which I enjoyed as well.

Do you feel like you have had a lot of flexibility to explore what you want to?

One of the biggest things I don't like about this school. As someone who is applying to a specialty that isn't part of the 3rd year core rotations, there is very little time between the end of 3rd year and the start of residency applications to explore that specialty. However, with Step 1 moving pass/fail our school has been rapidly shifting around the curriculum. The way my experience was structured is very different from what it is now. Last I heard the M2s finish a semester early and have a distinction semester, and you may be able to start 3rd year earlier. I may be wrong. If you already know what specialty you're interested in, there's plenty of support and resources to get you connected with the right people. ARMC has almost all the major specialties.

Is there support from admin to help you seek out away rotations?

I will say there are attempts to support you, but you'll have to do 95% of the work yourself. That being said, that's how your experience will be at almost any med school you choose. The faculty advisors and most admin at this school do not understand the current state and technology of medical education. Medical school admin is always 10-15 years behind the times. For example, almost everyone across all medical schools uses the same 2-3 board prep materials to learn the foundations of medicine instead of in-house lectures.
Thank you for this detailed insight! It’s nice to hear an honest perspective on these things. Good luck with your residency apps; I’m sure you’re going to do amazing!

Interviewing this week here! Any tips for how to be well prepared?

I got the A! I received an email just now. Interviewed 10/28.

Received the email for the A an hr ago as well! Super excited! Interviewed 10/28.

Acceptance received today.

Just found out the acronym for this school is pronounced Cuss-em... pretty happy about that lol

• Haha
Yes, I interviewed 10/14 and still radio silence. Although reviewing last year's thread, they have been known to ghost people post-interview.

Last edited:
Did all of you receive an "application complete" email? I am realizing that I got an "application received" email in which they state that my application will start going under review. But I forgot to send my LORs and didn't realize until a couple of weeks ago, and I still haven't received a "complete" email, if they do in fact send those.

Did all of you receive an "application complete" email? I am realizing that I got an "application received" email in which they state that my application will start going under review. But I forgot to send my LORs and didn't realize until a couple of weeks ago, and I still haven't received a "complete" email, if they do in fact send those.
I got a "secondary received" email in which they said:
Dear XX,

Thank you for submitting your Secondary Application to CUSM-SOM! Your application is now under review for consideration to receive an interview. Due to the large volume of applications, please be patient. This process takes a significant amount of time as we want to make sure that your file receives every consideration. Thank you again for your interest in our school of medicine.

Best wishes and good luck!

The CUSM-SOM Admissions Team

I got a "secondary received" email in which they said:
Dear XX,

Thank you for submitting your Secondary Application to CUSM-SOM! Your application is now under review for consideration to receive an interview. Due to the large volume of applications, please be patient. This process takes a significant amount of time as we want to make sure that your file receives every consideration. Thank you again for your interest in our school of medicine.

Best wishes and good luck!

The CUSM-SOM Admissions Team
Thank you!! I got the email too. I'm surprised they sent it before getting my LORs.

IS II received this morning! complete 9/19 :soexcited:

II just now! Very excited. Complete mid-August. LM 74.

For anyone else who got the A, they sent some acceptance paperwork today.