2022-2023 Albany

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
It’s nice the work that you do. I don’t like seeing people showing off their stats and all the EC’s they have done. It’s more than that, just because you have these accomplishments doesn’t mean you should be guaranteed anything. Your saying a 3.7 and 510 is ugly, I mean how do you want us to react. Those are great stats and will get you somewhere. Nothing is guaranteed or handed in life. You will all get to medical school. So please stop stressing others out bragging about your accomplishment, and asking for others input. It feels like a sense of entitlement that most students feel which isn’t a great look as one who wants to become a doctor. Coming from an underserved community, seeing how people who have access to resources and parents who are doctors is hard. I believe You will all get in somewhere and be great.
As a second to this post, good stats and ECs are no guarantee.

I know for sure I have a difficult time presenting myself in essays and think the secondaries exist as a way for them to cut people out (make their job easier).

The secondary essays exist as a way to see if you fit their mission.

Members don't see this ad.

It is worth reminding everyone that the Ad Coms do have people occasionally reading these subs.

Reactions: 1 user
It’s nice the work that you do. I don’t like seeing people showing off their stats and all the EC’s they have done. It’s more than that, just because you have these accomplishments doesn’t mean you should be guaranteed anything. Your saying a 3.7 and 510 is ugly, I mean how do you want us to react. Those are great stats and will get you somewhere. Nothing is guaranteed or handed in life. You will all get to medical school. So please stop stressing others out bragging about your accomplishment, and asking for others input. It feels like a sense of entitlement that most students feel which isn’t a great look as one who wants to become a doctor. Coming from an underserved community, seeing how people who have access to resources and parents who are doctors is hard. I believe You will all get in somewhere and be great.
Alright so there's a difference between someone telling you these things who's new and neurotic vs someone like me who has gone through a very humbling process of applying to over 40+ schools (with help I paid for out of my own pocket btw) and got 2 interviews of and two waitlists. Nothing is earned but for all those applying remember that these stats are very bare minimum. Not to scare anyone but unless you have a very interesting story the average Joe with these numbers and ECs is not impressive. Nothing is earned, in fact I would say based off my experience from last year I have very little confidence in myself for earning any acceptance this year. So before you make a claim about a person please take into account someone's story and ambitions. I am not asking for anything other than the general idea out of people that have had some success so far, if there is some hope because truthfully I don't have much.

Members don't see this ad :)
I get the sentiment here and I get that you're stressing but I think you could have done without calling your stats medium ugly in a public forum where plenty of others have similar or even lower stats. Even if you aren't accepted here, your stats/application will likely be competitive somewhere.

Please take a deep breath and consider going outside to touch some grass or something. Perhaps you've been thinking about nothing but med school applications for a bit too long.
And no, to be honest I would LOVE if some other people would tell me stats that aren't "LM 80" "MCAT 517" or "GPA 4.0" because that is really all I see here. I would prefer If I could see a reapplicant, who tried several times, making small improvements each year, receiving success in this process. I hate when people say entitlement because believe me I don't think I deserve anything and as I said after last year, my confidence ever attending medical school is low. It costs a lot of money and I was never approved for any amcas fee waiver or anything. Maybe the last times I applied you could have said I was entitled, now I am just looking for hope for real.

As a second to this post, good stats and ECs are no guarantee.

I know for sure I have a difficult time presenting myself in essays and think the secondaries exist as a way for them to cut people out (make their job easier).

The secondary essays exist as a way to see if you fit their mission.
I will say it a third time too. Ban me if you will, but this is not a "bragging" of stats. Nothing is guaranteed and I know that from personal experience. I really just want some hope, that is all. This might be my last year trying to get in, and I will have to take the MCAT again if I want to apply in the future. Understand the position I am in.

I will say it a third time too. Ban me if you will, but this is not a "bragging" of stats. Nothing is guaranteed and I know that from personal experience. I really just want some hope, that is all. This might be my last year trying to get in, and I will have to take the MCAT again if I want to apply in the future. Understand the position I am in.
Tbh, I don't know that I agree with the "you will all get into medical school" sentiment that was previously stated, but that is the self-deprecation in me. However, I can tell you that I have seen and met many other applicants with stats similar to yours who have gotten acceptances and interviews. I know you know this, but you are seeing a small subset of people who probably check these forums every day hoping to find exactly what you are looking for, but there are many more applicants out there. Also, you say you need a great story but it seems to me that you have worked through many difficulties and have accomplished a lot to get here, that seems like a great story to me! I am sorry that no one can offer better hope, but in my experience, the best you can do is be content with your stats and push forward from there. Good luck!

Reactions: 1 users
And no, to be honest I would LOVE if some other people would tell me stats that aren't "LM 80" "MCAT 517" or "GPA 4.0" because that is really all I see here. I would prefer If I could see a reapplicant, who tried several times, making small improvements each year, receiving success in this process. I hate when people say entitlement because believe me I don't think I deserve anything and as I said after last year, my confidence ever attending medical school is low. It costs a lot of money and I was never approved for any amcas fee waiver or anything. Maybe the last times I applied you could have said I was entitled, now I am just looking for hope for real.
I'd like to point out that you're on SDN. Places like SDN and r/premed self-select for THE most neurotic and overachieving premeds (no offense to the rest of y'all). This place is not going to be the most representative of who actually applies to med school and it's important to keep that in mind. I think SDN can be a good resource but you'd be better off not comparing yourself to others without knowing the rest of their applications or the full picture.

Have you checked out threads by/for nontrads here? They're full of reapplicants who made improvements and ultimately made it to med school. Maybe it wasn't the stats or activities that kept you out of med school last time but how you framed them. Again, plenty of us understand the position you're in. It's unfortunately a pretty common one so please also understand why some of us are annoyed by how and where you've chosen to vent your frustrations.

I'd like to point out that you're on SDN. Places like SDN and r/premed self-select for THE most neurotic and overachieving premeds (no offense to the rest of y'all). This place is not going to be the most representative of who actually applies to med school and it's important to keep that in mind. I think SDN can be a good resource but you'd be better off not comparing yourself to others without knowing the rest of their applications or the full picture.

Have you checked out threads by/for nontrads here? They're full of reapplicants who made improvements and ultimately made it to med school. Maybe it wasn't the stats or activities that kept you out of med school last time but how you framed them. Again, plenty of us understand the position you're in. It's unfortunately a pretty common one so please also understand why some of us are annoyed by how and where you've chosen to vent your frustrations.
TBH as much as you felt that I was being disrespectful or whatever, I felt that you were also being somewhat ignorant as well. I feel that there was better ways of phrasing things myself but I would have liked if someone didn't tag me as an entitled person with impressive ECs when I have been humbled far more than the person telling me these things. I never once said I was better than anyone, I never once said I deserve to attend a medical school. I have done X amount of work and had people look at my secondaries and primary. Other than that, there is very little anyone can do but worry about what they do. From my experience, I did X amount of work when I likely needed to have X+1. That's fair to ask. And albany is a school that has many many BS/MD and I think at least 1 EA program as well (not sure if the one with UAlbany still exist) so their average class MCAt may appear lower than what the standard applicants have if that makes any sense. Things to consider and as someone that has gone through this once I want to see what other think, simply because there is not enough information out there.

TBH as much as you felt that I was being disrespectful or whatever, I felt that you were also being somewhat ignorant as well. I feel that there was better ways of phrasing things myself but I would have liked if someone didn't tag me as an entitled person with impressive ECs when I have been humbled far more than the person telling me these things. I never once said I was better than anyone, I never once said I deserve to attend a medical school. I have done X amount of work and had people look at my secondaries and primary. Other than that, there is very little anyone can do but worry about what they do. From my experience, I did X amount of work when I likely needed to have X+1. That's fair to ask. And albany is a school that has many many BS/MD and I think at least 1 EA program as well (not sure if the one with UAlbany still exist) so their average class MCAt may appear lower than what the standard applicants have if that makes any sense. Things to consider and as someone that has gone through this once I want to see what other think, simply because there is not enough information out there.
I do agree getting called entitled off the bat by someone else was a bit extreme. Perhaps I misspoke by saying "us" when it's only me that's annoyed. That said, my response was specifically about how you referenced your stats and that perhaps you could benefit from shifting your mindset a bit, not about anything else. I did not say anything about hypothetical MCAT scores or GPAs needed. I merely pointed out that some of the stories you're looking for exist on SDN's nontrad forums. There are also WAMC forums for you to ask the exact questions you're asking in much more detail that may be a more appropriate place than a thread specific to an application cycle. To echo another poster above, you seem like you have a good story to tell. I understand where you're at right now but it feels very much like you're counting yourself out before you've even given yourself a chance.

Message me. LM 66 on my third round holding an acceptance currently. I took a full year gap since my last cycle (2020 app) because of how depressed I was from a rejection post-II to my top school.

No Im not saying you are bragging. I have had people with lower stats than me get in. When I looked at the major difference, it was mainly their engaging essay writing.

Its unfair but it boils down to the creative way you advocate for yourself.

Last edited:
Man, this thread really took a turn from people asking about how to finalize lol.

• Haha
Reactions: 27 users
Can a current student provide insight on their experience at Albany so far?

Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
How long did it take you guys to be able to finalize after submitting your essays? I've been waiting over a week :(

How long did it take you guys to be able to finalize after submitting your essays? I've been waiting over a week :(
One day after paying the secondary fee with my credit card.

II just now my first MD interview :) submitted 7/23 OOS

Reactions: 9 users
II invite today. Anyone having trouble uploading their photo? I tried Microsoft edge with no luck

Edit: Firefox is the only browser that worked

Last edited:
When were you complete if you don’t mind sharing?
no worries :) submitted 8/23 I believe I was complete the same day. stats are pretty low 504 and 3.6 overall, 3.3 science gpa but my extracurriculars n research are carrying me. first interview invite so I'm excited :D

• Love
Reactions: 4 users
no worries :) submitted 8/23 I believe I was complete the same day. stats are pretty low 504 and 3.6 overall, 3.3 science gpa but my extracurriculars n research are carrying me. first interview invite so I'm excited :D
Best of luck! You got this

Is it worth it calling and asking for a status? I was complete the middle of July and haven't heard anything since.

Is it worth it calling and asking for a status? I was complete the middle of July and haven't heard anything since.
Definitely not worth it. It's still super early in the cycle, so it's typical to not have heard anything.

II today at about 12:30pm. 508/3.84, complete 7/21. My first MD interview as well :')

• Love
Reactions: 8 users
Are we suppose to get a complete email after we hit the finalize button? Cuz now I am freaking out.

"Applications will be reviewed by our Admissions Committee in the order which they become complete."

lmaoo GGs. Time to move on to the next school. Cuz I was complete like back on 7/11

• Hmm
"Applications will be reviewed by our Admissions Committee in the order which they become complete."

lmaoo GGs. Time to move on to the next school. Cuz I was complete like back on 7/11
I have completed on 7/23 and have the following status - Application complete and ready for review by our Admissions Committee

does anyone know the post-ii acceptance rate here?

Same here and I was finalized on 7/24
I have that same status. lol on the portal it said apps are reviewed in order of complete, so I don't necessarily know what their complete means cuz someone submitted secondary on 8/3 and was in the first batch of interviews (look back to earlier post in thread).

Don’t give up yet. Albany is very vocal and will send you a rejection if they don’t want you. Last cycle, they sent out rejections after sending IIs then sent more IIs to applicants who had early/mid July complete time in late Sep. They may review in the order of completion dates, but that doesn’t necessarily mean IIs will be sent out in the same manner.

Anyway, silence from Albany is good, especially because it’s only september.

Reactions: 7 users
Great to see lower stat apps gain some love I have a low gpa high mcat combo :)

does anyone know the post-ii acceptance rate here?
Just looking off last year's thread it seems they put a lot of people on the alternate list rather than outright accept them

Don’t give up yet. Albany is very vocal and will send you a rejection if they don’t want you. Last cycle, they sent out rejections after sending IIs then sent more IIs to applicants who had early/mid July complete time in late Sep. They may review in the order of completion dates, but that doesn’t necessarily mean IIs will be sent out in the same manner.

Anyway, silence from Albany is good, especially because it’s only september.

It does not say the "apps are reviewed in order of completion" on my portal ?? Hmmmmm

I finalized on the 3rd of Sept

Any current student or anyone, is Albany P/F now? Or still letter graded, if letter grade what does any current student think about this considering added stress and competition? Thanks in advance for the feedback :)

II! IS, complete mid-august. LM 67, ORM, 4th quartile caspr, reapplicant