2021 PHAP (CDC's Public Health Associate Program)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
ahh that's awesome! Congrats to those who had a portal status update!!! for people like me who still have the 'ready for interview', do we have any idea of how consistent the waves of acceptances/matches happen? Like do we think every week or two weeks through the end of July? or should I just continue to check my portal everyday anyways because I'm anxious about it regardless hahaha

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 2 users
ahh that's awesome! Congrats to those who had a portal status update!!! for people like me who still have the 'ready for interview', do we have any idea of how consistent the waves of acceptances/matches happen? Like do we think every week or two weeks through the end of July? or should I just continue to check my portal everyday anyways because I'm anxious about it regardless hahaha
Honestly looking through past forums it seems pretty inconsistent with how often they send any updates!

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
This is so exciting! Congrats to those who portal changed! Mine still says “ready for interview” but my interviewer said June to check for my offer! (Trying to keep myself from panicking 😅)

This is so exciting! Congrats to those who portal changed! Mine still says “ready for interview” but my interviewer said June to check for my offer! (Trying to keep myself from panicking 😅)
sameeeeee

Hi everyone, this is my first time posting. Mine still says "ready for interview", I'm really curious as to how many people got in on this first wave? Just through this forum I'm seeing like 3 people... I feel like it's anywhere from 20-50? Or did they send out all the invites already and are going to just send more if people decline? I'm so stressed out, the fact that we don't have any information is really messing with me 😞

Hi everyone, this is my first time posting. Mine still says "ready for interview", I'm really curious as to how many people got in on this first wave? Just through this forum I'm seeing like 3 people... I feel like it's anywhere from 20-50? Or did they send out all the invites already and are going to just send more if people decline? I'm so stressed out, the fact that we don't have any information is really messing with me 😞
I highly doubt they sent out all the invites! They could be spacing them out... at least that is what I hope!

Reactions: 1 user
For the people who had their portal change, did you get an email saying there was a change?

For the people who had their portal change, did you get an email saying there was a change?
No I haven’t received any email. Just saw the portal change. I’m still on tender hooks until I get an email confirmation, in case they’re like “whoops glitch in the system, our bad” 🥲

I think it’s also dependent on when you interviewed so be patient yall lol ❤️

Members don't see this ad :)
The status change sounds like good news. Congrats everyone! Mine hasn't changed.

I saw someone ask about other public health fellowships earlier. I'm going to share a few that I am aware of for those who are like me and are super nervous about hearing back on PHAP. I hope it helps!

Fellowships/Internships for undergraduates:
-MCHC/RISE-UP (I did this one and loved it!!)
-Association of Schools and Programs of Public Health (ASPPH) Fellowships
-American Public Health Association (APHA) Internships and Fellowships

Fellowships/Internships for those with MPHs or other graduate degrees:
-Administrative Fellowships (less public health, more focused on hospitals/health care)
-Presidential Management Fellowship
-CDC/CSTE Applied Epidemiology Fellowship
-Wisconsin Population Health Service Fellowship

Fellowship Search Engines:
-ProFellow
-zintellect

Last edited:
Reactions: 6 users
The status change sounds like good news. Congrats everyone! Mine hasn't changed.

I saw someone ask about other public health fellowships earlier. I'm going to share a few that I am aware of for those who are like me and are super nervous about hearing back on PHAP. I hope it helps!

Fellowships/Internships for undergraduates:
-MCHC/RISE-UP (I did this one and love it!!)
-Association of Schools and Programs of Public Health (ASPPH) Fellowships
-American Public Health Association (APHA) Internships and Fellowships

Fellowships/Internships for those with MPHs or other graduate degrees:
-Administrative Fellowships (less public health, more focused on hospitals/health care)
-Presidential Management Fellowship
-CDC/CSTE Applied Epidemiology Fellowship
-Wisconsin Population Health Service Fellowship

Fellowship Search Engines:
-ProFellow
-zintellect
That was me! Thank you!!!! I just really want an opportunity to get into the public health field. I'm in the medical field right now as a medical biller so definitely not my dream job. And Illinois just does not seem to offer up a lot of opportunity to those who have recently graduated with their Bachelor's degree. Definitely thinking a fellowship might be my ticket into something great!!

Congratulations to those that had a status change! For others including myself that did not receive a status change, do not lose hope! From previous forums I know that matching/confirmation emails are sent out in batches. It could be tomorrow, next week, or in 2 months when we could possibly receive that matching/confirmation email if selected. Hang in there guys and think positive! :)

Reactions: 5 users
Does anyone know if they also send out plain rejection emails as well or are all of us going to be playing a waiting game for months and then just have to assume we didn't get it? From someone else's previous post: ~400 interviewed, 200 are accepted, and 125 matched or something like that...soo that would be a lot of people to just not notify of rejection :/

Does anyone know if they also send out plain rejection emails as well or are all of us going to be playing a waiting game for months and then just have to assume we didn't get it?
There are no "rejection" emails or notifications. If you haven't heard back by late August you have to assume you were not matched with a host site.

Does anyone know if they also send out plain rejection emails as well or are all of us going to be playing a waiting game for months and then just have to assume we didn't get it? From someone else's previous post: ~400 interviewed, 200 are accepted, and 125 matched or something like that...soo that would be a lot of people to just not notify of rejection :/
I read on the forum from the last cycle that they do not send out rejection emails.

Update. I just called the PHAP number and they said it was an error and to disregard that. We should find out next week though. Bummer but stay encouraged!

• Wow
Reactions: 6 users
Update. I just called the PHAP number and they said it was an error and to disregard that. We should find out next week though. Bummer but stay encouraged!
wow!! major news, thank you for the update!

Ok so then we have to be patient and check emails! An official email will be sent informing us of the “matching” updates

Lol seee?

so they just need to stop playing with peoples feelings... so the portal change was an error?
It sounds like it was an error. An email will be sent confirming everything

It sounds like it was an error. An email will be sent confirming everything
Wowwww LOL I don’t want to wish this process to my worst enemy. What a nerve-wrecking process. Getting peoples hopes up and all 😭

• Haha
Reactions: 4 users
My worst nightmares realized, but thanks for calling!

So mine changed as well.. (I kept refreshing the page every hour hah) but I guess it doesn't mean anything?.. lol

Hi guys, I called the office and was told emails will be sent tomorrow.

I am little bit confused since someone else in the thread mentioned next week.

Again, hoping we all get good news tomorrow!

rip they really are playing everyone
And they still send them out in batches for months so some of us might not even know tomorrow!! :')))) literally soo stressful

The people that called the office: did they tell you anything specific about your personal profile? Or did they just tell you to wait and find out?

And they still send them out in batches for months so some of us might not even know tomorrow!! :')))) literally soo stressful
i'm vibing on peak anxiety rn ayyy but there's lots of time left, we got this, it's okay

Hi guys, I called the office and was told emails will be sent tomorrow.

I am little bit confused since someone else in the thread mentioned next week.

Again, hoping we all get good news tomorrow!
Thank you for updating us!! I am also very anxious as my portal changed but I'm not sure if we should still wait for that official call that was mentioned in last year's thread?

I just called the PHAP help desk and one woman said that all of the offers will be sent out next week and there are no batches this year. I got another call back from a different person at the help desk (my original call was sent to voicemail) and they said that it will be in batches.... so I have no idea re all the information we have collected haha. Has anyone else's status changed? Mine has not, unfortunately. Exciting time though!

I just called the PHAP help desk and one woman said that all of the offers will be sent out next week and there are no batches this year. I got another call back from a different person at the help desk (my original call was sent to voicemail) and they said that it will be in batches.... so I have no idea re all the information we have collected haha. Has anyone else's status changed? Mine has not, unfortunately. Exciting time though!
This is so confusing...

What is the number everyone has been calling?

Wow super conflicting info lol!! I'd be pretty surprised if they decided to change it up and not do batches. I know my interviewer was pretty keen on telling me I could be given an offer in August if I was selected.

Idek what is going on now lol; my status changed as well. I am just going to assume it means nothing until they send a e-mail.

Idek what is going on now lol; my status changed as well. I am just going to assume it means nothing until they send a e-mail.
Did yours recently change this afternoon or has it been that way since you last looked? I'm wondering if they will continue to change or not.. I know they said it means nothing but it feels like it should?

All this conflicting info is so confusing oh my gosh, I hope we find out sooner than later.

Has anyone’s status not changed and still says “ready for interview”?

Reactions: 5 users
This whole process really making me have trust issues lol. Maybe it's a long shot hoping for a general email from the program that clarifies everything

I’m so confused! I called and they said the status updates were a system error. The emails are supposed to go out all at once tomorrow sometime after 3 pm (according to whoever picked up the phone). She wouldn’t specifically say that the update was wrong so I’m very worried. My portal still says ‘ready to interview’, should I just assume I wasn’t matched? I’m literally panicking!

I’m so confused! I called and they said the status updates were a system error. The emails are supposed to go out all at once tomorrow sometime after 3 pm (according to whoever picked up the phone). She wouldn’t specifically say that the update was wrong so I’m very worried. My portal still says ‘ready to interview’, should I just assume I wasn’t matched? I’m literally panicking!
Maybe she meant emails for just this batch? That's what I'm hoping for at least because my portal did not change either.

I love your user. The chaos is real. I went to take a nap and now woke up with more anxiety.