2021-2022 University of Pikeville College of Osteopathic Medicine (UP-KYCOM)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Also, to add to my comment, your deposit isn't binding. You can still elect to go somewhere else after, you just lose that money

Members don't see this ad.

I got the acceptance call on 9/13 as well and am super excited!

Just got the official email from them and am slightly concerned - they state that "In order to confirm your acceptance and to secure your seat, please pay your acceptance deposit for receipt by the University of Pikeville no later than 12/14/2021."

I was under the impression that most schools don't require this commitment until much later in the cycle, so does anyone know if this is normal? I have a few other D.O interviews lined up in the next few months and was hoping to wait until I hear back from everyone before I pay a deposit
Yep, totally normal. It was the same for my year many moons ago. Worst case, you pay the deposit and if you get accepted and choose to go somewhere else it’s a drop in the bucket in the whole scheme of things.

Congrats to those who got acceptances! How long did it take for them to get back to you after the interview? Also, has anyone gotten WL or R yet?

Members don't see this ad :)
Congrats to those who got acceptances! How long did it take for them to get back to you after the interview? Also, has anyone gotten WL or R yet?
I received the acceptance call about 2 1/2 weeks after my interview.

The 3.2 is a little low from what I would say is competitive but KYCOM is notorious for looking at the whole person. They look for students who have shown they have a passion for medicine and understand that not everyone had an easy path. When it comes to GPA they can overlook a bad semester but you need to be able to explain it in your personal statement especially if it included science classes. Be upfront but take the blame, dont pawn it off on a bad professor, explain the circumstance and what you learned from it. Mostly they want to know you have the ability to accept it and implement change. The same is true of the MCAT. If you took the MCAT and failed, what did you do differently the second time and what you learned from the experience. When I applied (many moons ago lol) I was from KY, had a 496 MCAT, was a non-traditional student (I’m older with a different career prior to medicine) and had a 3.5 GPA, and wanted family medicine (which I’m proud to say is still the case). So make sure that you have more positives to outweigh any flags:) Hope that helps
Tried to DM you but couldnt lol so I have a 496 MCAT and 3.69 GPA, and I'm about to submit my secondary. Is what it is haha I have a few (not many) pretty good experiences and id say my PS is pretty good. you think my chance is still pretty good?

how many people here have gotten an II or acceptance from KYCOM with MCAT below 500? Just curious

Is there anyone that completed on or near July 5 that has received an II or still waiting to hear back?

Reactions: 3 users
I haven't heard anything have been completed since 7/5

Reactions: 2 users
II received! OOS, no ties to Appalachia, but very excited!
509 3.5x

Reactions: 1 user
Tried to DM you but couldnt lol so I have a 496 MCAT and 3.69 GPA, and I'm about to submit my secondary. Is what it is haha I have a few (not many) pretty good experiences and id say my PS is pretty good. you think my chance is still pretty good?
It definitely wouldn’t hurt at all to keep going in the cycle! You never know what can happen. I would just keep studying though in case you do have to retake.

It definitely wouldn’t hurt at all to keep going in the cycle! You never know what can happen. I would just keep studying though in case you do have to retake.
Hey Medscigirl, I have a 498 and 3.90 GPA undergrad currently I have five interviews already do you think I should keep studying to retake?

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Hey Medscigirl, I have a 498 and 3.90 GPA undergrad currently I have five interviews already do you think I should keep studying to retake?
If you already have 5 interviews, I'm sure you're set. Where are your interviews at? Just curious because I have similar stats

Touro, Midwestern - arizona, Campbell, Lucom, ICOM

That’s awesome! I applied to 4/5 of those so I feel a bit better! What was your MCAT score breakdown, if you don’t mind me asking?
I heard touro and icom don’t give secondaries to below 500?

Did you have a DO shadowing experience? I don't and I'm not sure how to write about it
I didn't have any DO shadowing experience either but talked about 2 DO presentations I attended and my experiences with chiropractic medicine growing up and received an II. Just be honest and talk about the experiences you have had that have attracted you further to osteopathic medicine. Good luck!

I didn't have any DO shadowing experience either but talked about 2 DO presentations I attended and my experiences with chiropractic medicine growing up and received an II. Just be honest and talk about the experiences you have had that have attracted you further to osteopathic medicine. Good luck!
Okay, thanks so much!

Hi all! I’m a 4th year at KYCOM. If you have any questions don’t hesitate to reach out or post on here
Could you please tell me when your decision becomes binding? Is it May 15th? Also what kind of opportunities for research are there? What clubs or extra curricular would you recommend? What is the area like? Where do med students typically live, can you offer suggestions? Is the student atmosphere supportive of one another or competitive?When did you move in before school started? Is there any social media platforms for Pikeville for admitted students? Do you receive much help with ERAs? What did you do between M1 and M2 during the summer?

Could you please tell me when your decision becomes binding? Is it May 15th? Also what kind of opportunities for research are there? What clubs or extra curricular would you recommend? What is the area like? Where do med students typically live, can you offer suggestions? Is the student atmosphere supportive of one another or competitive?When did you move in before school started? Is there any social media platforms for Pikeville for admitted students? Do you receive much help with ERAs? What did you do between M1 and M2 during the summer?
Whooo that’s a loaded message haha! I will do my best but you can DM me and Ill give you my phone number so you can just call me if you want. It may be easier to explain that way.

So the decision isn’t really binding other than you pay a $1000 deposit (usually by mid December) to hold your seat that is non-refundable. You can still change your mind but you will loose the $ (in the grand scheme of things though that’s not a big deal)
Research is up and coming at KYCOM, we have new faculty member who is doing the most for that. We have a research club and annual symposium and work with undergrad as well as the local hospital to find research positions for the students. I managed to be a part of a project that is on its way to being published currently so there is enough to do as well as a summer stipend for people who are interested in staying and doing research over the summer in the lab. We have as really nice lab with a lot of cool things (PCRs, microtomes etc).
There are a TON of clubs. One for every speciality, as well as international clubs like DOCARE, HFSO for local soup kitchens, Rotaract, and many more. We volunteer at the hospital and animal shelter, tons to do for community service. There is also an honors club (sigma sigma phi) that looks excellent on your CV.
The area is nice and safe. Most people live within Walking distance to the school but you can live a little further. Pikeville itself is small and you can drive through it in like 20min with the school being in the center so you are never too far regardless. People who live in the city of Pikeville have money, those that live on the outskirts of town dont have as much. We dont have a big homeless population at all. There isn’t a ton to do, but there is a lot of outdoors stuff. Lots of hiking, canoein, horseback riding and state parks close by.
The atmosphere is definitely supportive. There are pockets of competitive people but thats not the majority and its highly discouraged. We share a lot of documents and have tutoring for classes ppl aren’t doing well in. The teachers are very supportive too and have an actual open-door policy which is really nice. The staff are dedicated to the students and I mean that. I was also a fellow (I spent my 4th year teaching 1st and 2nd years anatomy and OMM) so I can tell you that we definitely support the students.
I moved in a lot earlier than most because my husband started a nursing job at the local hospital, but most ppl move in around June before starting in July.
Once admitted, you will have a class facebook page and most students will join their own class group me.
We didn’t have a lot of help with ERAS but its pretty self explanatory. We have a person at school with student affairs though who posts links for us and you can always call her or stop by if you need help. Most of us are rotating away from school so she makes herself available to us.
During my 1st summer I legit took time off. I went on vacation with my husband and saw family. Some do research and volunteer, others go on a mission trip we have, but it legit is the last summer you will have so I say enjoy it unless your CV needs the help:)

Reactions: 3 users
Whooo that’s a loaded message haha! I will do my best but you can DM me and Ill give you my phone number so you can just call me if you want. It may be easier to explain that way.

So the decision isn’t really binding other than you pay a $1000 deposit (usually by mid December) to hold your seat that is non-refundable. You can still change your mind but you will loose the $ (in the grand scheme of things though that’s not a big deal)
Research is up and coming at KYCOM, we have new faculty member who is doing the most for that. We have a research club and annual symposium and work with undergrad as well as the local hospital to find research positions for the students. I managed to be a part of a project that is on its way to being published currently so there is enough to do as well as a summer stipend for people who are interested in staying and doing research over the summer in the lab. We have as really nice lab with a lot of cool things (PCRs, microtomes etc).
There are a TON of clubs. One for every speciality, as well as international clubs like DOCARE, HFSO for local soup kitchens, Rotaract, and many more. We volunteer at the hospital and animal shelter, tons to do for community service. There is also an honors club (sigma sigma phi) that looks excellent on your CV.
The area is nice and safe. Most people live within Walking distance to the school but you can live a little further. Pikeville itself is small and you can drive through it in like 20min with the school being in the center so you are never too far regardless. People who live in the city of Pikeville have money, those that live on the outskirts of town dont have as much. We dont have a big homeless population at all. There isn’t a ton to do, but there is a lot of outdoors stuff. Lots of hiking, canoein, horseback riding and state parks close by.
The atmosphere is definitely supportive. There are pockets of competitive people but thats not the majority and its highly discouraged. We share a lot of documents and have tutoring for classes ppl aren’t doing well in. The teachers are very supportive too and have an actual open-door policy which is really nice. The staff are dedicated to the students and I mean that. I was also a fellow (I spent my 4th year teaching 1st and 2nd years anatomy and OMM) so I can tell you that we definitely support the students.
I moved in a lot earlier than most because my husband started a nursing job at the local hospital, but most ppl move in around June before starting in July.
Once admitted, you will have a class facebook page and most students will join their own class group me.
We didn’t have a lot of help with ERAS but its pretty self explanatory. We have a person at school with student affairs though who posts links for us and you can always call her or stop by if you need help. Most of us are rotating away from school so she makes herself available to us.
During my 1st summer I legit took time off. I went on vacation with my husband and saw family. Some do research and volunteer, others go on a mission trip we have, but it legit is the last summer you will have so I say enjoy it unless your CV needs the help:)
Oh my gosh, thank you so much for all this great information. Was Pikeville your first choice? Did you apply DO and MD? Any concerns going DO route as far as residencies? Can you offer some good resources and study tips. I heard it's like drinking from a firehose, so I'm pretty scared. Is there any way to make connections with classmates before school starts like a facebook group? How did you find an apartment?

II just now. OOS, no ties to Appalachia. Complete 7/1. 3.70 510 MCAT

II this morning! OOS but with Appalachia ties
Congrats on your II! How did you secure your interview date? In the Upike portal on the interview tab I have a calendar at the bottom, but all of the dates are greyed out. I also have an instruction to "Please confirm by logging into your secondary application in order to secure your interview date.", but when I go to the Secondary App tab there is no additional information?

Thank you for your help!

Congrats on your II! How did you secure your interview date? In the Upike portal on the interview tab I have a calendar at the bottom, but all of the dates are greyed out. I also have an instruction to "Please confirm by logging into your secondary application in order to secure your interview date.", but when I go to the Secondary App tab there is no additional information?

Thank you for your help!
In the invitation it said you had to email/call Jennifer to schedule it.

Reactions: 1 users
II just now, OOS with no ties to Appalachia. 500 MCAT, 3.81GPA. Can anybody shed some light on the format(open/closed) and schedule for the interview?

Hi, thanks for doing this! I was wondering if you could speak to the culture and diversity of your fellow students. My goals align very closely with KYCOM’s mission fit, but as someone who’s never lived in a rural place, I’m curious about how you like it, and how everyone in the class gets along
Is anatomy dissection or is it already dissected?

Anyone completed on July 5 that is still waiting on an II and hasn't heard back from them?

Reactions: 2 users
I'm confused, for the secondary do we have to talk about "Please explain why you should be selected for training as a primary care, rural osteopathic physician" It's in the welcome part but not the secondary app part.

Yes, so the school understands that all applicants are limited on this experience. I would write about your shadowing experience with any physician and how that helped you see that a DO program would be great for you. Try incorporating our mission as well as the tenants of the DO mission. Helping underserved, rural areas, how important the mind, body and spirit is etc. Also add that you continue to search for DO shadowing opportunities. The point of that essay is to explain why you are choosing to apply to a DO school and that you understand the differences.

the only real underserved experince i had was through global brigades, does that work?

the only real underserved experince i had was through global brigades, does that work?
please excuse my interjection into the conversation but I want to caution you against assuming rural and underserved can be swapped in and out for each other.

IIRC, global brigades is generally working with low-income under-insured households. Rural residents are not necessarily low SES.

I think your best bet is to focus on primary care and make some linkage between your global brigades experience to a desire to practice in rural medicine if that's your passion you think. I don't think any global brigades are hosted in rural areas? correct me if i'm wrong. i think those communities are merely lacking in resources but not rural.

Is the upcoming Q&A here diversity-based? Should I have questions specifically regarding that, or anything in general?

Edit: reread the email and I got it confused with another school's diversity-based Q&A! This one does not seem to be focused on anything in particular

Is the upcoming Q&A here diversity-based? Should I have questions specifically regarding that, or anything in general?

Edit: reread the email and I got it confused with another school's diversity-based Q&A! This one does not seem to be focused on anything in particular
How do I sign up for that?

please excuse my interjection into the conversation but I want to caution you against assuming rural and underserved can be swapped in and out for each other.

IIRC, global brigades is generally working with low-income under-insured households. Rural residents are not necessarily low SES.

I think your best bet is to focus on primary care and make some linkage between your global brigades experience to a desire to practice in rural medicine if that's your passion you think. I don't think any global brigades are hosted in rural areas? correct me if i'm wrong. i think those communities are merely lacking in resources but not rural.
but the primary seems to be focusing on why DO? do we need to incorproat of wanting to work in underserved communities? It looks like they left that question off in the question and want us to focus on why DO?