2021-2022 New York Institute of Technology College of Osteopathic Medicine (NYITCOM)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
hey everyone, a little bit late to this page but this was my experience.
II early Oct; A mid Nov
my interview was not stressful at all. If you are still interviewing, be sure to explain why you are applying here.

background: 3.75 from a liberal arts college in PA; mcat 510

Good luck everyone!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
For those accepted or currently enrolled at NYITCOM (Long Island), do you know if classes are still scheduled to be asynchronous next year?

Any idea if the school will send out more interview dates or is the season over for them?

Members don't see this ad :)
They should still be sending out II until April.

Reactions: 1 users
For those accepted or currently enrolled at NYITCOM (Long Island), do you know if classes are still scheduled to be asynchronous next year?
From what I have heard, the lectures are pre-recorded. I don't know if they switched to that because of COVID but from what I have heard from current students everyone likes it so I don't think they will be changing that.

I just went to the supplemental app portal and it said that "the 2022 entering year is closed". Does this mean that the class is full and no more interviews are being sent out now?

I just went to the supplemental app portal and it said that "the 2022 entering year is closed". Does this mean that the class is full and no more interviews are being sent out now?
I think it might be the deadline for submitting the supplemental application which was march 8th. But I'm also in the same boat, I hope there's more interview invites!! :(((

• Care
Number of students on Facebook keeps going up

• Sad
Reactions: 2 users
Anyone get another email regarding bridge program? Are they trying to imply that I won't get an A lol.

Anyone get another email regarding bridge program? Are they trying to imply that I won't get an A lol.
Is the bridge program the one year Master's in Jonesboro campus?

I may be overthinking this but with half of tuition due April 15th, how exactly does that work if loans will not be disbursed until later?

I may be overthinking this but with half of tuition due April 15th, how exactly does that work if loans will not be disbursed until later?
Yea I have a similar question.
Why does nyitcom have an early due date for tuition fees? That time, I feel most schools are still figuring out the WL movements.

Interviewed a month ago for LI campus. I wonder when the next round of As will beo_O

Members don't see this ad :)
Yea I have a similar question.
Why does nyitcom have an early due date for tuition fees? That time, I feel most schools are still figuring out the WL movements.
Im just confused bc I definitely don't have 30k just lying around like that.. hopefully I'm not interpreting it properly lol

Im just confused bc I definitely don't have 30k just lying around like that.. hopefully I'm not interpreting it properly lol
Me too. I don’t think you’re interpreting it wrong; it is stated on the website that fall semester school fees are due by April 15.
How am I supposed to come up with 30k by mid April if loans are not disbursed by then?
And what about those who get accepted much later? Do they have to come up with 30k the next day?

I’m curious about this too. Also, what are everyone’s views on the bridge program? What if I have an A already but NYITCOM is my top choice?

I’m curious about this too. Also, what are everyone’s views on the bridge program? What if I have an A already but NYITCOM is my top choice?
Same situation as you.

Me too. I don’t think you’re interpreting it wrong; it is stated on the website that fall semester school fees are due by April 15.
How am I supposed to come up with 30k by mid April if loans are not disbursed by then?
And what about those who get accepted much later? Do they have to come up with 30k the next day?
Hope a current student or someone will clarify. I would imagine majority of us can't come up with 30k without the loans.

This is all based on my experience and it could be vastly different for you guys. They change the curriculum A LOT, from year to year since I have been here. First two years are Pass/Fail/Honors for your academic courses. For OMM and Doctor-Patient Relations (think clinical skills) its P/F. We took 1 small test worth 10% of our grade and another worth 90% each month that covered units based on systems. So you would do Cardio then take the cardio small test and a week later take the cardio big test (about 100 questions per big test). The material didn't always fit nicely into one month so sometimes your cardio test would have a few lectures worth of renal on it or the neuro test would have some repro etc. Passing was a 70% average for one semesters worth of tests (so over 3-4 tests you need 70%) and honors meant you had to be in the top 20% of the class. To review tests you have to schedule proctored time with academic advisors who watch you and babysit you while you look at ONLY the test questions you missed to make sure you aren't writing anything down. The advisors don't really have specific knowledge geared towards the material either, just general study tips like study in a group or "be better at managing your time" etc. Idk they rubbed me the wrong way, but the school provides them and others might have a different experience. If you fail a semester you repeat it over the summer, if you fail both semesters of a year you repeat. 3rd year grades are such: Honors/High Pass/Pass/Fail. For honors you need a 6/7 on evaluations and a 115 on the COMAT (shelf exam but from NBOME). 115 translates to 93rd percentile (I am not a fan), and then you have to fulfill all the extra stuff like little lectures and things. High Pass is 6/7 on evals and a 110 on the COMAT, which is 84th percentile and fulfill the extra stuff. Passing is 4/7 on evals, a 90 on COMAT (16th percentile) and all the extra stuff. You don't have to take COMAT for EM, but in order to sit for Step 2/COMLEX 2 you have to pass the OMM and IM COMATs and 4 of the following: Surgery, Psych, Peds, FM and OBGYN. So really you can fail one COMAT and still be alright. COMAT scores are included in class rank and reflected in MSPE letter that goes to residencies.
Oh yea I know about the lottery. Not sure if "gut" is a typo but the lottery I think you are referencing is how during spring of 2nd year you can apply to have all your 3rd year rotations at 1 place. There is a list somewhere and I will see if I can find it, but the locations I can remember they offered to us as regional sites are NUMC, Good Samaritan, Wyckoff Heights, Brookdale, Coney Island, Mt. Sinai South Nassau and maybe one or two more I can't think of right now. Basically everyone applies for the places they want to go and you might have to do a little group interview, I heard they were pretty short, and then the programs essentially pick who they want when you put in your preferences. I think it is kind of like a mini match. I didn't do the lottery but definitely considered it. I can see the benefits of it, since so many of the sites are spread out (like we have rotations in Albany and hours away toward the tip LI) so you could live in one spot 3rd year. But you might not like the hospital you go to. The lottery happens first and you only have to put down the ones you want so if you don't get a certain one you can always just rank them like the rest of the class. Which is basically just ranking preferences and then they do some voodoo and come out with a schedule a couple of months later. I hope that helps! Good questions
Could you tell me more about your experience with rotation sites? It looks like you did not participate in the lottery so how were your rotation sites? How far apart are they?
2. As far as you know, Do most students choose to participate in lottery to stay in one site Or choose to go to multiple site?

Looks like the JB campus got their As today...........is this the week we hear back................? *shiver*

Reactions: 2 users
Hope a current student or someone will clarify. I would imagine majority of us can't come up with 30k without the loans.
You have to show that you can pay by April 15. This is done through either loans or direct payment. If it's through loans you just have to request them officially, you can then cancel them before they get distributed if you choose to go elsewhere. If it's through direct payment, I believe you can get a full refund up until like 2 weeks before classes start although I couldn't find the page that says that anymore after a quick google search. However, I would imagine it's still in effect.

Anyone still waiting to hear back from Jan interviews?

Cant even imagine how many ppl are on this schools waitlist cuz wtf

• Sad
When has there been the most WL movement based on previous years? April, May, June?

If I pay half tuition, then choose another school am I able to get a refund? I would be paying through loans of some sort.

When has there been the most WL movement based on previous years? April, May, June?
I just did a quick scroll through last year's thread and it seems like they had their WL movement start mid/late April, so I wouldn't hold my breath until around then. I'm in the same boat so fingers crossed!

So I guess possible WL movement April 15-22?

I reached out to adcom, they said that the class is filled. They said that the waitlist isn’t ranked, but how do they pick who will get accepted when the spot open up?

I reached out to adcom, they said that the class is filled. They said that the waitlist isn’t ranked, but how do they pick who will get accepted when the spot open up?
Wondering this too dont know what more i can do

On the website it says they do not accept updates, how do I show my continued interest being on the waitlist? Already sent a LOI

On the website it says they do not accept updates, how do I show my continued interest being on the waitlist? Already sent a LOI
I think that’s all we can do for now and maybe just thoughts and prayers 😭 😭

Hmm, the Facebook group is at 167 members as of right now. Just a little over half the class size.

It's been growing steadily the last few weeks but is it reasonable to assume that over half the accepted students didn't join the group if the class is full?

Hmm, the Facebook group is at 167 members as of right now. Just a little over half the class size.

It's been growing steadily the last few weeks but is it reasonable to assume that over half the accepted students didn't join the group if the class is full?
I am in the fb group and there are 4 admins, and there were some posts probably made by different upper classmen about housing and such. I think it is safe to subtract about 10 from the fb class!

So I guess possible WL movement April 15-22?
I think so. That’s when if I am right, MD school applicants have to narrow down their choices and that’s when WL begins. Pretty sure many applicants here are holding onto their seats while waiting for WL movement to begins with MD schools.
Well tbh, I think that happens with almost all schools lol.

Very strong match list from NYCOM Long Island!

Attachments

• A94DEBA1-0993-4421-B81F-28D373CF5F63.png
    A94DEBA1-0993-4421-B81F-28D373CF5F63.png
    71.1 KB · Views: 352
Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users
They review all the waitlist applicants again and decide

Where did you find this? I'm having trouble with this images resolution
From their Facebook page match video. Apologies, it’s a screenshot! If you watch their video towards the end you’ll see it :)

anyone know which ipad the school gives students? just saw a video from the school mentioning it

Very strong match list from NYCOM Long Island!
what does transitional year (with no specialty listed next to it) mean? do residents in this program have to reapply in their second year?
- on the chart, the entry with 30 total, 20 NY

likewise, what is medicine preliminary (with no specialty listed next to it)?
- on the chart, the entry with 12 total, 10 NY

and what is medicine primary?
-on the chart, the entry with 3 total, 2 NY

Transitional is what they call a TRI (traditional rotating internship) — it’s just one year , and then yes those applicants have to reapply for another program in any speciality. They probably didn’t match into a full residency, or they applied to a transitional program because they weren’t sure what they wanted and want to use that year later to match into something else more competitive. Most residencies in most specialities will give you some (if not all) credit towards residency requirements for doing a transitional program, but not all (like anesthesia would count a transitional program as year 1 towards their 4 year requirement, but neurosurgery or emergency medicine might not).

Preliminary year can usually be in medicine, surgery, peds, sometimes even other specialities. Prelim year is needed for specialities like radiology, Derm, neuro anesthesia, etc. The first year (intern year) can be a “preliminary” year in either medicine, or surgery, or even pediatrics at one hospital, and then the specialty residency can start in another hospital. People who apply to a speciality like anesthesia for example, apply for a preliminary year in medicine or peds or surgery at many programs, but they also apply for anesthesia separately (so it’s like you double apply). You can match prelim year and not match anesthesia, or you can match anesthesia and not the prelim year, with the goal being is you have to match both at the same time to get a “full match.” If you match anesthesia (years 2-4), but no prelim year, you can’t really start your anesthesia program if you don’t do a prelim year first, so you may lose that anesthesia spot.
If you match just the prelim year, that’s great, because you have somewhere to go right away in July. It can count towards a primary care residency in medicine or a subspecialty like anesthesia. But if you only match prelim and not the subspecialty, it means you still have to apply for your speciality again during prelim year, and then you would just start the speciality like anesthesia that following July, so you wouldn’t really lose time, it just would suck to apply for residency, while you’re doing residency, because you’re so busy.

Some speciality programs will accept a “transitional” or TRI year instead of a prelim year to count as the intern year. They are pretty much equivalent except that a transitional year has many random rotations in different fields like surgery, medicine, peds, family medicine, ob, etc. In the DO world, a “TRI” used to exist but now after the merger all the old programs that were called TRI’s have become transitional programs (what it’s known as in the MD world). The goal of the TRI or transitional year is to expose you to different rotations and make you more well-rounded. For example a friend of mine who matched into Ophthalmology, did a transitional year at a community hospital because it was easier, closer to home, and she got to do peds and OB and some outpatient specialty clinic. She could have ranked a competitive work-horse difficult preliminary medicine program but she didn’t want to work crazy hours that first year lol, so instead ranked an easier transitional program, to be her intern year. Either way, ACGME accepts it and so did her Ophthalmology program, which she would start the following year.

The match list is confusing I know, so basically medicine preliminary is where people matched to their medicine preliminary year first (intern year or PGY-1) in one hospital, and then they will start they PGY-2 in another hospital program like Derm, rads, etc.

Most people, to make things easier, will hope to match into and apply however for “categorical” programs. For example, you can apply to anesthesia and do all four years in one hospital program (do your medicine or surgery or peds year in the same hospital as your anesthesia program). For categorical programs, you just match into “anesthesia” and it’s assumed you are doing your preliminary intern year in medicine or surgery or whatever, in that same hospital.

As for medicine primary, I am not 100% sure but I think what it is, is that there are some specific internal medicine programs that focus only on primary care and outpatient (like NYU has internal medicine primary care tracks), so, that is what the Medicine primary is (most likely).

hope that helps!

Some more info for you :)

General info:

And prelim vs transitional:

And an excellent article about TRI:

Last edited:
Reactions: 6 users