2021-2022 Allergy-Immunology Fellowship Application Cycle

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Has anyone received any info about the UCLA/VA program? I’ve received a confirmation email but haven’t really been able to find out much about the program itself.

Members don't see this ad.

Has anyone received any info about the UCLA/VA program? I’ve received a confirmation email but haven’t really been able to find out much about the program itself.
Only zoom link for interview day, but nothing else.

Does anyone have thoughts on whether a 3 year A/I program is worth the extra time?

Members don't see this ad :)
Does anyone have thoughts on whether a 3 year A/I program is worth the extra time?
Unless you plan on a research focused academic career (not even just academic but specifically research focused), or a career in industry...no.

Unless you plan on a research focused academic career (not even just academic but specifically research focused), or a career in industry...no.
Thanks. I am for the most part undecided on my ultimate career path; so that makes ranking these programs hard for me.

For those that interviewed at Stanford, did you guys end up meeting with the PD and 2 other Interviewers? Wanted to fage because it seemed too quick

I would not do a 3 year program unless you plan on a research-heavy academic career. It would be a complete waste of time if you are going into private practice and probably not of much benefit even if you stayed in mostly clinical academics. Most of those three year programs are expecting you to be writing your own grants and sort of paving out your path as an academic researcher anyways.

Similar thoughts regarding combined fellowships such as rheum and A/I. The programs are trying to sell this but it is a very niche training pathway and not generally applicable for practice.

I would not do a 3 year program unless you plan on a research-heavy academic career. It would be a complete waste of time if you are going into private practice and probably not of much benefit even if you stayed in mostly clinical academics. Most of those three year programs are expecting you to be writing your own grants and sort of paving out your path as an academic researcher anyways.

Similar thoughts regarding combined fellowships such as rheum and A/I. The programs are trying to sell this but it is a very niche training pathway and not generally applicable for practice.
Agree with everything. My uncle did combined Rheum-A/I and said it was a complete waste of time and is practicing A/I exclusively right now.

So how's everyone's interview trail going, any great, terrible or straight-up weird interviews?

Hey everyone, don't forget to certify your rank list!

Any guesses on what the n is in order to successfully match?

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey everyone, don't forget to certify your rank list!

Any guesses on what the n is in order to successfully match?
Thanks for the reminder to everyone! I’m hoping n to match is less than the number on my list 😉 Anyone know off hand what n to match was last year?

Thanks for the reminder to everyone! I’m hoping n to match is less than the number on my list 😉 Anyone know off hand what n to match was last year?

Seriously hope so. I really want anything in my top 4 to be closer to my family and to make life easier for my wife, but obviously will be grateful to match anywhere.

Do we get an email as to IF we matched sometime before 12/1? Or is it just find out if and where on 12/1?

Ok so I'm super curious and feel free to not answer if you aren't comfortable but any one want to share both their #1 and anywhere they didn't rank? For me
#1: Yale
Didn't Rank: VCU.

Ok so I'm super curious and feel free to not answer if you aren't comfortable but any one want to share both their #1 and anywhere they didn't rank? For me
#1: Yale
Didn't Rank: VCU.
Mind telling us why you dint rank VCU? I’ve been out of fellowship for many years but I remember VCU being a decent program back in the day. Just curious, could be location too.

To those that didn't match. Keep going.

I applied last year as well and got calls from a bunch of great highly desirable academic programs. Despite being a strong candidate, I went unmatched. At the time of the match result I was in LA as a PGY3 as an ICU senior in the height of COVID when it was the worst we had ever seen it. I was truly the darkest time I had ever seen. 4 makeshift ICUs. There was a day where I made 8 intubated COVIDs comfort care, getting confirmation from weeping families over the phone. To add professional failure on top of that was the bottom of the barrel for me. I was in such a bad place I was passively suicidal. If I happened to not wake up from sleep one day, I would've been okay with it.

2 weeks after the match, I met my soul mate. We ended up marrying just a few months ago.

I found a research gig at a local academic A/I department.

I reapplied and matched at my #1 today in my home state.

Lesson: never give up. You will get there. Put in the work and you will be rewarded. If not now, it will happen soon.

Anyone is free to DM me. I will be more than happy to give you my perspective and whatever guidance I can offer.

Last edited:
  • Care
Reactions: 6 users
Longtime lurker.

I also did not match last year and just matched at my #1.

Not matching ended up being the best thing to ever happen to me because I got to enjoy a gap year.

If this is what you want. Don't give up.

Reactions: 3 users
Ranked 13, matched #4. I told myself I’d be happy at any of my ranks but I’m mourning what could have been, for a bit. At least I’m going to a state I like, so that’s something!

Reactions: 1 user

I applied last year as well and got calls from a bunch of great highly desirable academic programs. Despite being a strong candidate, I went unmatched. At the time of the match result I was in LA as a PGY3 as an ICU senior in the height of COVID when it was the worst we had ever seen it. I was truly the darkest time I had ever seen. 4 makeshift ICUs. There was a day where I made 8 intubated COVIDs comfort care, getting confirmation from weeping families over the phone. To add professional failure on top of that was the bottom of the barrel for me. I was in such a bad place I was passively suicidal. If I happened to not wake up from sleep one day, I would've been okay with it.

2 weeks after the match, I met my soul mate. We ended up marrying just a few months ago.

Lesson: never give up. You will get there. Put in the work and you will be rewarded. If not now, it will happen soon.

Anyone is free to DM me. I will be more than happy to give you my perspective and whatever guidance I can offer.
Congrats! I was in last years thread with you and was rooting for you this year!

Congrats! I was in last years thread with you and was rooting for you this year!
Good vibes from people like you is a big reason why I made it this year. You cannot deny what positive energy is capable of - no matter how abstract it may seem. Thank you, my friend. Truly. I'm so pumped to join you in this field! Lets get it!

Congrats to all. Any idea what the match rate was this year. Got the feel it was more competitive than last year.

Congrats! Appreciated your thoughts and advice, and I noticed you in last years thread when I went there for info, so I was definitely rooting for you!

Congrats! Appreciated your thoughts and advice, and I noticed you in last years thread when I went there for info, so I was definitely rooting for you!

Thank you, sir! Our community is honestly the best one in medicine. Everyone has each others' backs. It's a big reason why I chose A/I.

• Care
Reactions: 1 users
Congratulations to everyone who matched this year. How has the match rate been this year? Would love to hear program impressions from you guys. Applying next year and feel very nervous!

Reactions: 1 users
Congratulations to everyone who matched this year. How has the match rate been this year? Would love to hear program impressions from you guys. Applying next year and feel very nervous!

Not quite sure what the match rate was this year but it dropped off a bit last cycle and per one of my mentors, this year was even more competitive… I wouldn’t be surprised if the rate stayed the same or dropped a bit.

I’ll post some program impressions eventually but the short answer is that all the programs I interviewed at seemed full of really lovely people and location was my major differentiator.

Does anybody know anybody who has an unfilled positions list? Which programs didn't fill? Last year the only program that didn't fill was... Mass Gen haha

Does anybody know anybody who has an unfilled positions list? Which programs didn't fill? Last year the only program that didn't fill was... Mass Gen haha
No way! I saw they had 2 fellows this year? I thought they were one of the top programs. Does anyone have any impressions of this program? I am applying next year and am very interested in Mass Gen. Thank you.

No way! I saw they had 2 fellows this year? I thought they were one of the top programs. Does anyone have any impressions of this program? I am applying next year and am very interested in Mass Gen. Thank you.

My boss did his pediatric training at Mass Gen. He hated the environment there and ran away to his home state for A/I fellowship. He didn't want to stay at all despite having a guaranteed spot. One of my interviewees this year did her training at Mass Gen and she gave the impression that it was a little bit of a hostile work environment, which is why she left the program to become chair of immunology in a completely different state. I guess we can gather something from that info. They had an open spot last year as well, which doesn't speak well to the program at all for this to happen 2 years in a row. Not sure what the issues are, but there may be something.

Edit: Misunderstood the above comment. I read it as Mass Gen not filling this year in addition to last year, which may not be true. Don't know which programs went unfilled. Last year it was 3 spots total (Larkin Community in Florida went completely unfilled 0/2 and Mass Gen filled 1/2)

Edit 2: Mass Gen filled this year with no issues. So last year was just a weird anomaly. Please disregard my initial comment on not filling 2 years in a row - my statement was completely false.

Last edited:
My boss did his pediatric training at Mass Gen. He hated the environment there and ran away to his home state for A/I fellowship. He didn't want to stay at all despite having a guaranteed spot. One of my interviewees this year did her training at Mass Gen and she gave the impression that it was a little bit of a hostile work environment, which is why she left the program to become chair of immunology in a completely different state. I guess we can gather something from that info. They had an open spot last year as well, which doesn't speak well to the program at all for this to happen 2 years in a row. Not sure what the issues are, but there may be something.

Edit: Misunderstood the above comment. I read it as Mass Gen not filling this year in addition to last year, which may not be true. Don't know which programs went unfilled. Last year it was 3 spots total (Larkin Community in Florida went completely unfilled 0/2 and Mass Gen filled 1/2)

Thank you for sharing this. I'm somewhat surprised because they are a research powerhouse and have lots of famous faculty members. Did you interview there? Did you like the program?

Question-What are considered the top A/I programs in the country? Im an MS4 already know I want A/I. i applied IM this year. If i end up matching top tier IM as a DO is it possible to match somewhere like Duke Harvard UPenn or Stanford for A/I if im a DO? or will being a DO auto reject me from those places

Thank you for sharing this. I'm somewhat surprised because they are a research powerhouse and have lots of famous faculty members. Did you interview there? Did you like the program?
I am a current fellow at MGH. I don’t really want to become like a representative in a public way, but I feel like after the previous post I’d like to offer: if anyone has questions about the program and would like to speak to someone who currently actually works there, feel free to message me.

Did not interview there. Keep in mind my anecdotes are from <10 years ago so a lot may have changed at MGH in the interim. I'm only relaying info that I was told. I would def talk to /u/zyrtecforall for a first hand account on the experience there. That will be tons more accurate and perspective is different for everyone.

Question-What are considered the top A/I programs in the country? Im an MS4 already know I want A/I. i applied IM this year. If i end up matching top tier IM as a DO is it possible to match somewhere like Duke Harvard UPenn or Stanford for A/I if im a DO? or will being a DO auto reject me from those places

Depends on the program. Some will be snobby at the DO status, some won't care. I think a program that outright says "We don't take DOs" is probably a place you don't want to be anyway. Pretty sure they can't overtly say that without it being considered discrimination. Your best bet is to match at a place with an in house A/I program. Good luck!

• Love
Wait I only see one unfilled spot total on nrmp last year? I’m guessing larkin didn’t even participate in the match since I don’t even see their program listed?

I did not match last year, and tried to scramble so I have first hand experience. It was there. Not sure why it's not in the data... seems fishy.

I would be hesitant to speculate too much about MGH's match. A current fellow posted above offering to answer questions. If you are strongly considering MGH or concerned about them, I would DM that poster.

Programs sometimes make deals outside the match with internal candidates. Some programs, particularly those with a focused mission such as research or academics, may be very selective about who they match there. They may even prefer to risk not filling all spots to keep that mission in line.

This has been discussed recently in a few of the allergy-related threads. There is no sound way to "rank" A/I programs. It's more about your desire for things like research, academics, private practice, or clinical immunology. There are programs that have a particular strength or deficit in one of these categories and some that are relatively well rounded.

The DO thing will certainly make it more difficult for you in general and especially in the name brand programs you listed. A/I has one of the higher US MD match proportions out of the IM subspecialties. About 70% MD and 18% DO. This is generally a marker of competitiveness overall. You could look at the previous fellows from the programs you listed (if they are available) and see if they've had DOs in the past. I think it will be very difficult to match into one of those as a DO. With that said, if you have great numbers (steps scores), match into a top tier IM program (or one of those programs specifically) and produce substantial research, then perhaps one of those is within reach. Home field advantage is huge so best strategy for you would be to rank IM programs that have A/I fellowships. As soon as you start residency, plug in with the department and express interest.

In A/I, our programs are small and we really care about personality and fit above most things. A well liked internal applicant who has been around the fellows and faculties has a huge advantage and will not be held to the same high standards as outside applicants (typically).

Does getting accepted into chrysalis project and having 2 accepted abstracts (one oral and one poster) in the AAAAI this year improve my chances of matching next year as an IMG?

Does getting accepted into chrysalis project and having 2 accepted abstracts (one oral and one poster) in the AAAAI this year improve my chances of matching next year as an IMG?

Absolutely makes you a stronger candidate. I think we spoke on Reddit as well ;)

Is there any information about application stats and matching? Or is anyone willing to share their stats? such as step scores, average research, etc. For some reason, A/I is not included on NRMP Charting outcomes.

Thanks!

Applied IM this year and having a tough time with making my rank list and i know I want to do A/I. Im an MS4 DO-Along with continuing to publish through residency with my mentors/strong letters which IM program would set me up best for strongest A/I fellowship? Vandy, Brown, Cleveland Clinic, Wake Forest, Yale, Georgetown or Dartmouth? I like Brown the best (culture, QOL, location) but I know Vandy and Yale are the best programs here as far as rep goes and fellowship match. Would I still have a shot at Stanford, Harvard, or Duke for A/I if I did IM at Brown vs Yale/Vandy? Of these programs it seems like only Vandy Yale CCF and WF actually have inhouse A/I. Is it a big deal that Brown doesny have an A/I program? The APD there did say they are starting A/I there next year during my interview but idk if thats a big issue or not that they dont already have one. Thanks!

Last edited:
Applied IM this year and having a tough time with making my rank list and i know I want to do A/I. Im an MS4 DO-Along with continuing to publish through residency with my mentors/strong letters which IM program would set me up best for strongest A/I fellowship? Vandy, Brown, Cleveland Clinic, Wake Forest, Yale, Georgetown or Dartmouth? I like Brown the best (culture, QOL, location) but I know Vandy and Yale are the best programs here as far as rep goes and fellowship match. Would I still have a shot at Stanford, Harvard, or Duke for A/I if I did IM at Brown vs Yale/Vandy? Of these programs it seems like only Vandy Yale CCF and WF actually have inhouse A/I. Is it a big deal that Brown doesny have an A/I program? The APD there did say they are starting A/I there next year during my interview but idk if thats a big issue or not that they dont already have one. Thanks!

If you are pretty set on A/I, you should rank programs with in-house A/I programs at the top of your list. Your best chance of matching into an A/I program is with home field advantage. If you are a strong and well-liked resident who has shown interest in A/I, rotate through your home A/I program, and get involved in some degree of research with A/I faculty...then it is highly likely you will be able to stay at your home program. I say that assuming your application thus far is relatively competitive based on some of the IM programs you're interviewing at.

I would also recommend you consider ranking the programs with larger in-house A/I programs, ie 2 or more fellows per year, at the top. This makes it even more likely that you would get a spot. Programs can get weird with "who they want" to fill the spot if there's only one spot. I can think of at least two instances of this that I know of. Both of these involved a competitive in-house applicant getting screwed out of a spot because the program wanted a peds person instead of an IM person (or vice versa).