2021-2022 Alabama College of Osteopathic Medicine (ACOM)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Anyone else get an email about an expo April 2021?

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
You guys have a 500 word limit for all three prompts??? Here are the word limits I have on my secondary application for each prompt...

250 word limit
Describe how specific attributes of ACOM’s mission and core values align with your professional goals and personal attributes?

250 word limit
The Alabama College of Osteopathic Medicine promotes values and equity from various cultural, social, and economic backgrounds. Discuss the role that diversity played in your decision to become an osteopathic medical school applicant.

500 word limit
What personal qualities do you possess that will make you a successful osteopathic physician?

Members don't see this ad :)
You guys have a 500 word limit for all three prompts??? Here are the word limits I have on my secondary application for each prompt...

250 word limit
Describe how specific attributes of ACOM’s mission and core values align with your professional goals and personal attributes?

250 word limit
The Alabama College of Osteopathic Medicine promotes values and equity from various cultural, social, and economic backgrounds. Discuss the role that diversity played in your decision to become an osteopathic medical school applicant.

500 word limit
What personal qualities do you possess that will make you a successful osteopathic physician?
I did not even see a word limit for the first two but mine was definetly more than 250 words. I did have the 500 word limit for the last one.

I did not even see a word limit for the first two but mine was definetly more than 250 words. I did have the 500 word limit for the last one.
I did see that initially as well, but when I went back and checked today i saw the word limits. They may have updated their portal or something recently

I did see that initially as well, but when I went back and checked today i saw the word limits. They may have updated their portal or something recently
Dang, I submitted the secondary a couple days ago before they updated the word counts, i did 500 words for each of all of the prompts, do you guys think this will hurt me?

Dang, I submitted the secondary a couple days ago before they updated the word counts, i did 500 words for each of all of the prompts, do you guys think this will hurt me?
I don't think so. I did the same since there was no indication of a word count.

1624588603203.png

idk but this is just what I saw

Anyone’s status on the micro site change from supplemental requested after they submitted it? Mine still says this but shows 100% complete

Anyone’s status on the micro site change from supplemental requested after they submitted it? Mine still says this but shows 100% complete
Status didn’t change but you have 100% complete nice I’m just at 38% and I submitted mine day 1

zero clue how to even go about the secondary essay... anyone got inspiration for me lol

Members don't see this ad :)
How do you guys approach answering questions, when your personal statement already greatly touched on these questions?
The essay questions haven't changed in like 6 years so when I did mine I just took something I mentioned in my personal statement and elaborated on it. I don't think it'd be possible to answer the second prompt without rehashing parts of your PS at least a little.

How do you guys approach answering questions, when your personal statement already greatly touched on these questions?
Those aren’t the actual questions when you log in. The ones they ask are a little different; they give you some room to address things like diversity, and how you fit ACOM’s mission.

Wait do we really need a professional photo or could it just be a well-taken portrait photo

I just used a professional-looking photo that I took myself. I don't think it matters that much it's just a way for the app reviewers to keep track of which student they are reviewing.

Off to a rocky start. Received a pre-secondary rejection, emailed an inquiry since my stats only improved since last cycle during which I was on pre-interview waitlist. Got a response stating that "post bacc. GPA does not show on the report" and I that will be given a supplemental after all...

Off to a rocky start. Received a pre-secondary rejection, emailed an inquiry since my stats only improved since last cycle during which I was on pre-interview waitlist. Got a response stating that "post bacc. GPA does not show on the report" and I that will be given a supplemental after all...

That was a rollercoaster of a story

Reactions: 1 users
Oh boy. Did your post-bacc classes not factor into your cgpa on aacomas?

Oh boy. Did your post-bacc classes not factor into your cgpa on aacomas?
I'm pretty sure it did, there is a specific Post-Baccalaureate Science line on the Calculated GPA page in the application on aacomas that shows it as well but somehow ACOM didn't see it.

Gave my first donation today boys

• Care
Reactions: 5 users
Did they require CASPER? I am taking mine on July 8th so I am not sure whether they will review my app before casper score comes out until Aug.

Will they get our LORs straight from AACOMAS or do we have to submit them directly to ACOM?

That’s really weird, I also did a post-bacc, so I hope they are able to see it...I wonder if other schools are having the same issue?
They responded pretty quick and sent the secondary to me. If you are in a similar situation, which I hope you won't be, just make sure to email them about it asap.

Nope, I don't know that anyone really knows what CA$PER is used for. For this school or any other.

Anyone know the interview timeline? Officially complete today on the microsite

Anyone know the interview timeline? Officially complete today on the microsite
they usually start interviewing last week in July, that is when classes start and everyone is back on campus

So are the essays different for people? For secondaries?

I haven't even received my Casper report back and I took it May 20th. Even though my exam says graded and delivered. I contacted them and they said next week (maybe)

Hey did everyone who took the CASper test also take that snapshot and duet thing? I took my Casper a few days ago and it says I have a required due date for these two tests. I don’t think ACOM requires them but can anyone confirm this? I think the entire CASper organization is cruel for pushing these unnecessary tests on us if schools aren’t gonna require them.

I haven't even received my Casper report back and I took it May 20th. Even though my exam says graded and delivered. I contacted them and they said next week (maybe)

Only a select sample are receiving their score back, no (?)

Hey did everyone who took the CASper test also take that snapshot and duet thing? I took my Casper a few days ago and it says I have a required due date for these two tests. I don’t think ACOM requires them but can anyone confirm this? I think the entire CASper organization is cruel for pushing these unnecessary tests on us if schools aren’t gonna require them.
Some schools like Drexel have explicitly stated that they do not want it and only require CASPer. Some said they did want it. Vast majority have not updated their website/said anything. If today is the the absolute last day that you can do it (must be done within two weeks of your CASPer or something like that), I would just do both since you cannot call and confirm with ACOM if they need it and since you may have applied to other schools that do require it. It does not cost anything extra. Snapshot is just a 3 question interview that records your response. 2 minutes per question and questions are pretty standard interview questions. It makes you do 2 practice questions in the beginning and you can do them as many times as you want until you are comfortable. Duet takes 15 minutes and it is just you picking between things that are more important to you in a medical school. No time limit, almost like taking a survey. PM me if you have more questions.

This year everyone receives it.
Funny enough, I don't know if just knowing which quartile you're in is very reassuring. As someone said in one thread, you may get a range from 51-75% but you don't know for sure where you fall. Sadly, I wish schools would elaborate more on what they do with the CASPer in light of the criticism about the test.

Didn’t ppl who took the CASPer on June 3 get their scores last week? That’s weird yours is delayed.

I submitted my primary two weeks ago and have yet to receive a secondary. Anyone else in the same boat?

Didn’t ppl who took the CASPer on June 3 get their scores last week? That’s weird yours is delayed.
Yeah but I finally got my scores back today after more then 6 weeks. Didn’t do well though.

• Care
same here. I'm reading everyone sending in secondaries but I'm still waiting on mine. Glad to know its not just me I guess.

Can anyone chime in with how soon you got your secondary?

Submitted primary around 6/22 got secondary 6/28

Sorry this is a little off topic but is anyone still waiting for their LOR to be marked as complete?

Reactions: 1 users