2020-2021 Rocky Vista University College of Osteopathic Medicine (RVUCOM-Colorado)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Yes they are. I don’t know by how much but yes
yea both campuses said their classes are completely full so they will probably only invite people for interviews if seats come available since some people might drop.

Members don't see this ad.

Does an increasing class size mean interview invites will be sent? Or is it just for APS movement (if any one of you know, I would appreciate). I was completed mid-December and haven't heard back.
Same, complete 01/07
yea both campuses said their classes are completely full so they will probably only invite people for interviews if seats come available since some people might drop.

WOW.... all spots filled up? insane. should we reach out pre-ii results to say we are interested?

from older post i think they stopped interviewing and its just aps movements coming in may

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Same, complete 01/07

WOW.... all spots filled up? insane. should we reach out pre-ii results to say we are interested?
Yea you can reach out but I am sure they all ready have a list of who they are going to call for an interview for the waitlist if people drop or not. But I dont know who would drop their seat since no MCAT was required for this cycle at both campuses.

All we can do is reach out and let them know how interested you are, attend any virtual events if available and pray.

Does anyone know if the 150 seats are full, and the expansion to 200 seats will be APS?

I’m just wondering if the 200 spots are already full and APS is still “excess” acceptances. Thank you!

APS is excess acceptance in that you are accepted but there is not enough space atm.
they will call you into the year until june to take up the spots

I called today, and unfortunately, I don't think they will send out any more interviews.

Any other accepted students do the health requirements and find out that you’re not immune to hep B so u have to get the vaccine again and didnt realize its a 3 dose series over 6 months so you wont technically be immune until Aug when classes start in july? Kinda freaking out over here 😅

Any other accepted students do the health requirements and find out that you’re not immune to hep B so u have to get the vaccine again and didnt realize its a 3 dose series over 6 months so you wont technically be immune until Aug when classes start in july? Kinda freaking out over here 😅
I did! Had to get MMR again too!. But they are doing an expedited schedule for me. Getting my third 4 months after rather than 6. Might be worth asking about.

• Care
I did! Had to get MMR again too!. But they are doing an expedited schedule for me. Getting my third 4 months after rather than 6. Might be worth asking about.
Ok thank you!!! Glad im not alone.. i sent an email to RVU people so ill see what they say otherwise ill need to expedite with my clinic like you did 😅

Does anyone know if the 150 seats are full, and the expansion to 200 seats will be APS?

I’m just wondering if the 200 spots are already full and APS is still “excess” acceptances. Thank you!
The decision to expand a class size requires approval from multiple officials, possibly even the department of education & AMA so that would have been done well in advance of this cycle. What that means is that they went into this cycle knowing they had 200 spots rather than 150 and interviewed for over 200 spots which is why they have the APS list and a waitlist. I heard something at another information session about medical schools not being allowed to interview after the class is full and why they have a waitlist. RVU just takes it a step further with this APS list, which is a smart idea knowing some will drop out

These are some really good questions. Unfortunately, it seems like no one here can answer the APS status ones and only the admission committee can at this point.

There is still something I need to get off my chest since my last little update on this thread.

I would like to say that when I attended the webinar Q/A, the two individuals representing the DO school were really rude and a bit fed up with questions. I remember at various points where one of the representatives literally said that "this answer can be found on the website" to almost every question they didn't have an answer too or were tired to answer. When I asked a question about something serious, one of them rolled their eyes. They didn't seem like they wanted to be there.

Being a Colorado native, this saddened me alot. We Coloradains don't act like this. Maybe I caught them on a bad day.Maybe they are burnt out! IDK man.

I have been to so many virtual events for DO school and not one of those schools reps behaved like this. So, I have decided I will not be reapplying to this school next cycle (since they already closed their cycle) based off of their non existent empathy for prospective students.

I would highly encourage all the reapplicants to take their time researching the real environment of these schools. For me personally, I can't give my 400K tuition money to a school thats gunna treat me like ****. Only during rotations will I allow the residents and physicians to do that lol

P.S. this was my number one choice for DO. God I was so wrong :(
As a current student at RVUCOM, I can say I am not surprised at all. RVU has dodged so many important questions that we students ask them. They constantly prioritize money over us as well. I can say that my interview experience felt very different to when I actually arrived. Seems like they put on a good "show" for the interview to attract a lot of students, but I guess that's DO school for you

Members don't see this ad :)
Is the APS list ranked? If not, how does the movement happen then?

Is the APS list ranked? If not, how does the movement happen then?
When I spoke with admissions they said it’s not ranked on when you were put on APS like “December over January” and that they just go through and select those that they feel fit the current class best. So no way of knowing whether you are more likely or not.

Declining my acceptance here. Hope it goes to one of you guys!!!

Reactions: 5 users
I also reached out to RVUCOM and can confirm that the class is filled and they are not sending out any more interview invites. They specifically said that they currently do not have any interview days for the future scheduled...and to reapply next cycle LOL.

Reactions: 3 users
based off of talking to M1 this year, masters students are placed at top of APS list, so once/ if they get in then everyone else get in.

based off of talking to M1 this year, masters students are placed at top of APS list, so once/ if they get in then everyone else get in.
Do you mean students from RVU‘s masters program or do you mean students on the APS list that have a masters degree? I thought RVU had an automatic acceptance for a percentage of their masters program graduates & then they filled the rest of the class with regular applicants

Do you mean students from RVU‘s masters program or do you mean students on the APS list that have a masters degree? I thought RVU had an automatic acceptance for a percentage of their masters program graduates & then they filled the rest of the class with regular applicants
students from RVUs masters program.. they do not hold seats for them hence the APS

I also reached out to RVUCOM and can confirm that the class is filled and they are not sending out any more interview invites. They specifically said that they currently do not have any interview days for the future scheduled...and to reapply next cycle LOL.
are they still referring people to their caribean school?

They refer people to carribean schools? Why?

I believe their owners also own SGU.

I withdrew the A today in favor of another school. Bad vibes which makes me sad as a CO native. The APS thing doesn’t bode well either and seems like a way to ensure a huge income flow while holding our lives hostage in the balance. But I hope it goes to someone great. Keep your heads up!

Reactions: 1 users
I withdrew the A today in favor of another school. Bad vibes which makes me sad as a CO native. The APS thing doesn’t bode well either and seems like a way to ensure a huge income flow while holding our lives hostage in the balance. But I hope it goes to someone great. Keep your heads up!
Can you explain more about the bad vibes if you do not mind? I am deciding between another school and RVU?

Can you explain more about the bad vibes if you do not mind? I am deciding between another school and RVU?
I just felt like their students weren’t super enthusiastic, I asked about rotations at the VA hospital in Denver and the faculty said the school has no relationship because CU MD students basically laid claim... and the APS situation seems like a greed thing. They want to build out the list for next year so they have to do less work next year and fewer interviews by hoping we all wait it out for a year. But they will still take app fees from the same huge number of students despite having many slots already filled for class of 26 I’m sure! Plus they give priority to their masters students when pulling from the APS I’m sure, so it’s pay to play. Faculty seemed great that I interviewed with but I have no idea who would just put their life on hold for this if you have another acceptance this year. That lost year equates to one less year of physician income which could be huge!

Reactions: 3 users
I just felt like their students weren’t super enthusiastic, I asked about rotations at the VA hospital in Denver and the faculty said the school has no relationship because CU MD students basically laid claim... and the APS situation seems like a greed thing. They want to build out the list for next year so they have to do less work next year and fewer interviews by hoping we all wait it out for a year. But they will still take app fees from the same huge number of students despite having many slots already filled for class of 26 I’m sure! Plus they give priority to their masters students when pulling from the APS I’m sure, so it’s pay to play. Faculty seemed great that I interviewed with but I have no idea who would just put their life on hold for this if you have another acceptance this year. That lost year equates to one less year of physician income which could be huge!
I’m a current student at RVU and their for-profit status and greed is definitely becoming more and more apparent. They really screwed the tier 1 masters students over this year by not informing them that they were APS until the end of February (in the past they have always been accepted outright and were informed in January). Also the fact that they increased the class size in the COM and MSBS program, but haven’t secured better rotation spots for COM students or added on to the CO campus yet are opening a brand new school in Montana. The CO campus doesn’t even have a decent cafeteria. Just frustrating to feel like our tuition doesn’t go towards anything that actually benefits the students.

Reactions: 4 users

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
I’m a current student at RVU and their for-profit status and greed is definitely becoming more and more apparent. They really screwed the tier 1 masters students over this year by not informing them that they were APS until the end of February (in the past they have always been accepted outright and were informed in January). Also the fact that they increased the class size in the COM and MSBS program, but haven’t secured better rotation spots for COM students or added on to the CO campus yet are opening a brand new school in Montana. The CO campus doesn’t even have a decent cafeteria. Just frustrating to feel like our tuition doesn’t go towards anything that actually benefits the students.
Thank you for this, I feel less crazy now!

I agree with this 100%

Its wild people are complaining about being accepted to medical school on here. Yeah, APS is a annoying because it means more waiting, but the alternative is a waitlist, with way less information and no guarantee.

I have a question for current RVU students, do you feel like the faculty and staff genuinely care about your success and well being?

The faculty and staff definitely do care. Our faculty is genuinely amazing, they all have open-door policies so before the pandemic we can ask as many questions as we want, and the curriculum is great. I feel very prepared for boards. However, I feel that the administration only cares about making an extra dollar off of us, instead of focusing time and effort into securing better rotations for CO students and making sure UT students actually match (there was 1/3 that are soaping..) they are building another campus in MT. Making no improvements to the current CO campus which is getting a little outdated IMO. They are also increasing class sizes by 50 people, I'm not sure where they are going to put 200 students, and more masters students, in such a small campus, maybe they are planning on keeping you at home?I don't think there are enough rotations to go around for that many students, and there are going to be more students per body in anatomy lab.
I definitely feel like the faculty is very supportive. Even if you need a 1-1 talk about material, most professors will make a zoom call for you to help you succeed. However, some things RVU does like trying to send students to St. Georges University, or increasing tuition and increasing the student body makes me question the school as whole. Most professors are already maxed out teaching 300 students across both campuses. If we increase the student body (just so they can make more money), I feel like that personal touch that professors make will be lost as there will just be too many students. I dont know if you have been to the RVU, but the campus is not really a campus, its a tiny buidling so not sure how that will work out with increasing the student body. It seems like the deans and admin realize that they can do most the teaching on zoom, so why not just accept more students, and collect more money..when rotations are already cramped and some are not high quality and residency spots for DOs are limited as well as the AMA has already addressed that DO schools have a tendency to pop up new schools/increase student body every year when the amount of residency spots stay the same.

The faculty and staff definitely do care. Our faculty is genuinely amazing, they all have open-door policies so before the pandemic we can ask as many questions as we want, and the curriculum is great. I feel very prepared for boards. However, I feel that the administration only cares about making an extra dollar off of us, instead of focusing time and effort into securing better rotations for CO students and making sure UT students actually match (there was 1/3 that are soaping..) they are building another campus in MT. Making no improvements to the current CO campus which is getting a little outdated IMO. They are also increasing class sizes by 50 people, I'm not sure where they are going to put 200 students, and more masters students, in such a small campus, maybe they are planning on keeping you at home?I don't think there are enough rotations to go around for that many students, and there are going to be more students per body in anatomy lab.
1/3 of UT campus graduating class is SOAPing?! that's an very high amount of students and is alarming! Why so many?

So here is why I hate this site, there is some misinformation as well as over exaggerations and overall toxicity/trolls. Reddit forums have far better realistic comments and supportive communities with enough honesty without trying to beat you down. Find the right thread and look at what people say there, message them, and ask for input on the institution. People love to lie on here about who they are or what their affiliation is/test scores etc. That being said:

1. RVU has one of the highest residency placements and exam pass rates on the first try, including people placing into very competitive programs. Do your own research on RVU's site and others to get a better idea, but don't listen to people saying they don't place well. They clearly do, despite DOs not being as popular as MDs, but that is changing with time (ex. 2018 had ~4500 DOs in the US, this year it was closer to 6700-7000). they have 95%+ pass rates for boards and 100% residency as well. Everyone goes somewhere. Maybe when you're at the school it could vary with how they prepare you, but from the numbers side, and by some of the names that pop up with placement and specialties, it seems pretty damn good. Don't let the salty people alter your decision.

2. Not having a cafeteria is a marker of an abysmal program or they aren't putting enough into the campus? they just redid their simulation center and now have tech like virtual reality. Seems more important than a small school having a decent cafe for people who live off-campus. I really liked what their school had to offer and felt comfortable with the answers I got. Especially because it was a smaller school, similar to my undergrad, I feel the environment will be similar. Increasing class size is not that strange.

3. Obvi some weird stuff with the owner/higher-ups referring people to the Caribbean schools, that is pretty bizarre but don't fall for it if that isn't somewhere you think is the right fit. The boss is not indicative of what is real. No place is perfect, you just need to find what is best for your development. <3

4. people who are complaining or confused about not getting interviews or being place on the waitlist or APS but also completed their application in Dec/Jan, you're about 6 months too late. The name of the game is the sooner the better. If you're missing an MCAT score (especially with COVID where my test date got shifted several times and 3 months beyond the original date), that's one thing. But if you don't apply within that first month window, you're already behind. It sucks when you don't hear anything, I have been there, but also keep in mind that the deadline date is to let you know when they are NO LONGER taking applications and they do rolling admissions. I was interviewed at places in September and accepted in October/before the end of the year. By the time the year turns over, if most spots are full, chances are there is not much left in the way of availability. When the cycle comes around again, please talk to people to prep for this or just have everything together by May/June and submit no later than July (preferably the first week apps open). Do yourself a favor and give yourself the best shot possible. It'll only benefit you and give you more options, and less time sweating down the line.

Don't mean to sound hostile, just seemed there was a lot of negativity and confusion about the process.

Reactions: 7 users
I know of other DO schools without a cafeteria. Its not just RVU, its not a big deal. I was in a grad program at another DO school. The food sucked, I rarely used it. If anything im somewhat surprised RVU doesnt have a cafe the way some of you describe the for profit vultures that run the school. Its just another way for them to make money selling over-priced sub-par food to students with no competition in the immediate area. Besides, the for profit food industry is much less controversial.

So here is why I hate this site, there is some misinformation as well as over exaggerations and overall toxicity/trolls. Reddit forums have far better realistic comments and supportive communities with enough honesty without trying to beat you down. Find the right thread and look at what people say there, message them, and ask for input on the institution. People love to lie on here about who they are or what their affiliation is/test scores etc. That being said:

1. RVU has one of the highest residency placements and exam pass rates on the first try, including people placing into very competitive programs. Do your own research on RVU's site and others to get a better idea, but don't listen to people saying they don't place well. They clearly do, despite DOs not being as popular as MDs, but that is changing with time (ex. 2018 had ~4500 DOs in the US, this year it was closer to 6700-7000). they have 95%+ pass rates for boards and 100% residency as well. Everyone goes somewhere. Maybe when you're at the school it could vary with how they prepare you, but from the numbers side, and by some of the names that pop up with placement and specialties, it seems pretty damn good. Don't let the salty people alter your decision.

2. Not having a cafeteria is a marker of an abysmal program or they aren't putting enough into the campus? they just redid their simulation center and now have tech like virtual reality. Seems more important than a small school having a decent cafe for people who live off-campus. I really liked what their school had to offer and felt comfortable with the answers I got. Especially because it was a smaller school, similar to my undergrad, I feel the environment will be similar. Increasing class size is not that strange.

3. Obvi some weird stuff with the owner/higher-ups referring people to the Caribbean schools, that is pretty bizarre but don't fall for it if that isn't somewhere you think is the right fit. The boss is not indicative of what is real. No place is perfect, you just need to find what is best for your development. <3

4. people who are complaining or confused about not getting interviews or being place on the waitlist or APS but also completed their application in Dec/Jan, you're about 6 months too late. The name of the game is the sooner the better. If you're missing an MCAT score (especially with COVID where my test date got shifted several times and 3 months beyond the original date), that's one thing. But if you don't apply within that first month window, you're already behind. It sucks when you don't hear anything, I have been there, but also keep in mind that the deadline date is to let you know when they are NO LONGER taking applications and they do rolling admissions. I was interviewed at places in September and accepted in October/before the end of the year. By the time the year turns over, if most spots are full, chances are there is not much left in the way of availability. When the cycle comes around again, please talk to people to prep for this or just have everything together by May/June and submit no later than July (preferably the first week apps open). Do yourself a favor and give yourself the best shot possible. It'll only benefit you and give you more options, and less time sweating down the line.

Don't mean to sound hostile, just seemed there was a lot of negativity and confusion about the process.
I honestly really appreciate the input. It’s nice to hear someone give the perspective from another view. With that in mind I am weighing an acceptance which I’m already one foot in having paid my deposit and matriculation fee. I live nearby RVU though and I think I’d really consider staying if they do decide to call me off the APS list. My only concern is increasing the class size by 35 students this year. I’ve spoken to about a dozen RVU students from 2nd -4th years and they’ve all told me that finding rotation sites for clinicals especially 4th year has been kind of a pain and that’s without the extra 35 students for this class. Do you think from your end that increase in class size won’t affect our ability to find sites when students already seem to be struggling?

Reactions: 2 users
I honestly really appreciate the input. It’s nice to hear someone give the perspective from another view. With that in mind I am weighing an acceptance which I’m already one foot in having paid my deposit and matriculation fee. I live nearby RVU though and I think I’d really consider staying if they do decide to call me off the APS list. My only concern is increasing the class size by 35 students this year. I’ve spoken to about a dozen RVU students from 2nd -4th years and they’ve all told me that finding rotation sites for clinicals especially 4th year has been kind of a pain and that’s without the extra 35 students for this class. Do you think from your end that increase in class size won’t affect our ability to find sites when students already seem to be struggling?
I would hope that in two years time they would have to expand the rotations. Not sure how that process would work but if they are increasing size they should have some sort of plan in place I’d imagine. Feel like i saw someone mention that they need to get some sort of approval before expanding the class size by a certain Degree

I would hope that in two years time they would have to expand the rotations. Not sure how that process would work but if they are increasing size they should have some sort of plan in place I’d imagine. Feel like i saw someone mention that they need to get some sort of approval before expanding the class size by a certain Degree
Yea I think you’re right too. I would imagine they have some kind of plan in place. Big changes always freak me out though. It’s just harder to determine if they’ll be able to guarantee the same outcomes as they have in the past. It’s an excellent school otherwise. Obviously some of the best outcomes among all DO schools in the nation and I also am very interested in doing their rural medicine track. We’ll just see if they pull me off APS by May or I’m off to another state for medical school.

Yea I think you’re right too. I would imagine they have some kind of plan in place. Big changes always freak me out though. It’s just harder to determine if they’ll be able to guarantee the same outcomes as they have in the past. It’s an excellent school otherwise. Obviously some of the best outcomes among all DO schools in the nation and I also am very interested in doing their rural medicine track. We’ll just see if they pull me off APS by May or I’m off to another state for medical school.
If you're not in the masters getting off APS will probably not happen

I don't think this is true. I just checked, 33 people who matriculated received their acceptance after admissions was shut down due to COVID last year. More probably were accepted.

I guess we’ll see. I’m pretty set on going to the other program at this point anyways but like I said I’d definitely consider it if they do.

Last edited:
Can someone help me out here: I understand RVU has the option of live lecture or watching it back recorded. So, there is no mandatory attendance in place. However, are there more in-house exams or is there a fair amount NBME/board style tests? Also, does RVU provide any board study resources....I am looking at another school that provides Macbooks, iPads, Q-banks, etc. for their students. Does RVU really not provide anything to its students? I am trying to make a decision and weigh the pros and cons for both and from what I've gathered it seems like RVU does not really invest towards its students success as I have seen other programs do...

Can someone help me out here: I understand RVU has the option of live lecture or watching it back recorded. So, there is no mandatory attendance in place. However, are there more in-house exams or is there a fair amount NBME/board style tests? Also, does RVU provide any board study resources....I am looking at another school that provides Macbooks, iPads, Q-banks, etc. for their students. Does RVU really not provide anything to its students? I am trying to make a decision and weigh the pros and cons for both and from what I've gathered it seems like RVU does not really invest towards its students success as I have seen other programs do...
Most classes are not required that’s true, but there are a handful that are every few weeks. Ethics and interprofesional education type classes. That’s gonna be the same everywhere though. The lecture exams are all in house.

they give you loan funds for electronics, but not free money if that’s what your question is. If by “invest” in student success you mean free stuff? No they don’t really do that

Most classes are not required that’s true, but there are a handful that are every few weeks. Ethics and interprofesional education type classes. That’s gonna be the same everywhere though. The lecture exams are all in house.

they give you loan funds for electronics, but not free money if that’s what your question is. If by “invest” in student success you mean free stuff? No they don’t really do that
Thanks for the reply. Do you feel like they adequately prepare you for boards/teach towards boards? or is there a lot of fluff within the curriculum?