2020-2021 Ohio University Heritage College of Osteopathic Medicine (OU-HCOM)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
What drew you to Athens over Cleveland or Dublin? I am having a tough time deciding whether to put Athens or Cleveland as my #1 choice
Are you considering a dual degree ? If you are then it has to be Athens I believe. When I applied, I picked Athens because I thought the main campus would have more resources, but after the interview I realized they were all very similar as in resources/support across all three campus. Athen is more rural and more of a college environment in my opinion. I think it just depends on if you would like to live closer/further from home.

Members don't see this ad.

Hi Laxeras!
I am currently in another professional program and considering submitting an app for this cycle to OUHCOM. It was my original dream and I’m finding myself unfulfilled academically. I have strong ties to Dublin and three kids, one in the school system and two under two years old. I’m wondering, how late are they taking MCATs? Do you happen to know if I’m able to take a Jan MCAT? That’s what it seems to be saying on the admissions site. I’m also curious, do you know anything regarding how their 3rd and 4th year rotations are decided? Do M3 and M4 students with families tend to stay in the area in Dublin? I know you are just matriculating, but perhaps you have some insight!

Thank you!
I would refer to seabiscuit’s answer !

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
if I no longer want to consider this school should I just ignore the secondary I got sent or should I email them????

if I no longer want to consider this school should I just ignore the secondary I got sent or should I email them????
Just ignore the secondary. That’s what I’m doing. I’m not a fan of their OOS.

Are you considering a dual degree ? If you are then it has to be Athens I believe. When I applied, I picked Athens because I thought the main campus would have more resources, but after the interview I realized they were all very similar as in resources/support across all three campus. Athen is more rural and more of a college environment in my opinion. I think it just depends on if you would like to live closer/further from home.
Thanks so much!

Y'all. Anyone who's on the edge about signing the OOS agreement, which thereby essentially beholds you to OU for 5 years after your graduation, I tried to get some information on it from someone. I've been ping-ponged around via emails, and eventually told that they won't discuss it with me unless I'm admitted.

I will not be submitting to this school.

Y'all. Anyone who's on the edge about signing the OOS agreement, which thereby essentially beholds you to OU for 5 years after your graduation, I tried to get some information on it from someone. I've been ping-ponged around via emails, and eventually told that they won't discuss it with me unless I'm admitted.

I will not be submitting to this school.
I've tried to do some digging and essentially heard the same thing. I am still applying as an OOS applicant, and if admitted, I will evaluate my other options at the time to see if this would be a good fit.

Reactions: 1 users
I've tried to do some digging and essentially heard the same thing. I am still applying as an OOS applicant, and if admitted, I will evaluate my other options at the time to see if this would be a good fit.

This is kinda my plan for the time being, not going to submit for quite awhile. The shadiness of this OOS agreement really sets me on edge. I have 27 other schools I'm applying to. If I get 27 other Rs, there's a bigger issue.

Is anyone else's letters received by them? It's been 19 days since I submitted my secondary (so the "couple weeks" have passed) so I emailed them. They told me to be patient and I feel like they're annoyed.

Is anyone else's letters received by them? It's been 19 days since I submitted my secondary (so the "couple weeks" have passed) so I emailed them. They told me to be patient and I feel like they're annoyed.
I decided to not submit the secondary because of the OOS and their inability to ever give me a straight answer. They kept bumping me around from person to person when I just wanted some answers on a legally binding document lol.

I decided to not submit the secondary because of the OOS and their inability to ever give me a straight answer. They kept bumping me around from person to person when I just wanted some answers on a legally binding document lol.

I hope I get in somewhere else because I don't like the idea of being in OH for 5 years after residency but if it's the only place I get in then I'm going haha. But yeah it's weird they couldn't just give you answers. You're going to ICOM anyway you don't need them! ;)

Members don't see this ad :)
I hope I get in somewhere else because I don't like the idea of being in OH for 5 years after residency but if it's the only place I get in then I'm going haha. But yeah it's weird they couldn't just give you answers. You're going to ICOM anyway you don't need them! ;)
Hahaha I hope so! Yeah I just got annoyed they wouldn’t answer and I wasn’t about to sign a legally binding doc without some info.

Hahaha I hope so! Yeah I just got annoyed they wouldn’t answer and I wasn’t about to sign a legally binding doc without some info.

they did the same exact thing with me! were very evasive when I asked about it

So excited! I recently submitted my secondary! This is my favorite school by far! Wish me luck =) Anyone know when they will start contacting for interviews? I wasn't sure if things will still run on schedule with COVID. Good luck everyone!

Hi guys , hopefully I’m not too late to help , but I am an incoming first year that is matriculating this august, let me know if I can be of any help.
Congrats! Hope this year goes smoothly! Are you guys starting on campus with covid or is OU still virtual?

I'm almost considering not finishing my secondary due to the OOS agreement. Reading the fine print it looks like if you find an amazing opportunity elsewhere in the country, you're forced to pay back the annual enrollment in 30 days, which I can't even find the actual number for. Additionally in the contract, it states that "this amount will be used to help provide medical education for one medical student" which I cannot even figure out what that means and it's nowhere to be found on their website. I tried calling but got a voicemail and no callback. Just sent an email. Previous communications with this school, while I was in UG for research, were shoddy at best.

"The applicant agrees that in the event of his/her breach of this contract of admission for failure to fulfill the terms and conditions contained herein and upon failure to fully correct this breach within a reasonable time after receiving notice of the same, the applicant shall pay to the Heritage College of Osteopathic Medicine the sum of the annual enrollment driven subsidy per full-time enrolled student in effect at the time of the breach times four years as liquidated damages. This amount will be used to help provide medical education to one medical student. Further, the applicant agrees that he/she will pay to the Heritage College of Osteopathic Medicine the amount of liquidated damages within thirty (30) days after official notice of the breach and the specific amount of liquidated damages, and that he/she will be responsible for all costs, including attorney fees, if the Heritage College of Osteopathic Medicine or other agency or instrumentality of the State of Ohio must commence litigation to recover the liquidated damages. Further, the applicant agrees that he/she will annually notify the Heritage College of Osteopathic Medicine according to its prescribed procedures whether he/she is fulfilling the obligations as set forth by this contract of admission."

Talk about this right? Dang they're obsessive

"The applicant agrees that in the event of his/her breach of this contract of admission for failure to fulfill the terms and conditions contained herein and upon failure to fully correct this breach within a reasonable time after receiving notice of the same, the applicant shall pay to the Heritage College of Osteopathic Medicine the sum of the annual enrollment driven subsidy per full-time enrolled student in effect at the time of the breach times four years as liquidated damages. This amount will be used to help provide medical education to one medical student. Further, the applicant agrees that he/she will pay to the Heritage College of Osteopathic Medicine the amount of liquidated damages within thirty (30) days after official notice of the breach and the specific amount of liquidated damages, and that he/she will be responsible for all costs, including attorney fees, if the Heritage College of Osteopathic Medicine or other agency or instrumentality of the State of Ohio must commence litigation to recover the liquidated damages. Further, the applicant agrees that he/she will annually notify the Heritage College of Osteopathic Medicine according to its prescribed procedures whether he/she is fulfilling the obligations as set forth by this contract of admission."

Talk about this right? Dang they're obsessive
Yes that one hahaahah, **** that.

Why not just submit the secondary in case things don't work out at other schools? Best case scenario, you're accepted somewhere else and you don't even have to worry about the agreement right?

Why not just submit the secondary in case things don't work out at other schools? Best case scenario, you're accepted somewhere else and you don't even have to worry about the agreement right?
The problem is that the agreement essentially says you have to be in Ohio or you pay back your entire tuition in 30 days. I’m not about to be threatened by a school or beheld to them. And that they wouldn’t even talk to me about it, nor allow me to speak to anyone, really tells me it’s shady.

I was thinking the same thing as @greenarrow__ . Submitted my secondary w/ the OOS agreement because best case I get accepted elsewhere, good case I get accepted there with or without that OOS scholarship that negates the contract, worst case I don't get in anywhere this year. But I'm just now realizing that say I do residency in FL or something: if I don't get hired as an attending in OH within 30 days they'd sue me?

I was thinking the same thing as @greenarrow__ . Submitted my secondary w/ the OOS agreement because best case I get accepted elsewhere, good case I get accepted there with or without that OOS scholarship that negates the contract, worst case I don't get in anywhere this year. But I'm just now realizing that say I do residency in FL or something: if I don't get hired as an attending in OH within 30 days they'd sue me?

Honestly, same thoughts, which is why my secondary invite has been sitting in my email and I am undecided. I have plans for after med school. I don't want to push back getting married, having a family and etc because I must be in Ohio for so long.

Honestly, same thoughts, which is why my secondary invite has been sitting in my email and I am undecided. I have plans for after med school. I don't want to push back getting married, having a family and etc because I must be in Ohio for so long.
I don’t want to be locked in Ohio if I get a good opportunity out west

I wouldn't mind having to stay in OH if I could work in a city (or had the option to -I want to help the underserved but I also don't want to be locked into having to). Anyone know if I'd be breaking the contract if I worked in, say, Cleveland or some other major OH city?

I don’t want to be locked in Ohio if I get a good opportunity out west

I eventually want to move back to the South, no matter which med school I go to. It doesn't necessarily have to be my home state of Florida but I am open to GA, AL, TN, SD etc

I wouldn't mind having to stay in OH if I could work in a city (or had the option to -I want to help the underserved but I also don't want to be locked into having to). Anyone know if I'd be breaking the contract if I worked in, say, Cleveland or some other major OH city?

I believe the contract just says you have to stay in Ohio for five years after formal training. To be honest, being limited to Ohio is not as restrictive as it seems. The Cleveland Clinic, University Hospitals, Ohio State, and Cincinnati are just a few of the outstanding training programs available to you in Ohio and anyone would be lucky to train here.

I believe the contract just says you have to stay in Ohio for five years after formal training. To be honest, being limited to Ohio is not as restrictive as it seems. The Cleveland Clinic, University Hospitals, Ohio State, and Cincinnati are just a few of the outstanding training programs available to you in Ohio and anyone would be lucky to train here.
Except they refuse to talk to you about it until you’ve signed and been admitted. I don’t like that kinda lack of transparency.

If you don't want to apply, then don't apply. For anyone else who is on the fence, I would recommend going to an open house. I have attended two and they were very honest in answering my questions. Our Campus | Ohio University

Reactions: 3 users
I mean, not telling anyone else not to apply but their dodginess is too much for me.

Do you know if they’re in partnership with Cleveland Clinic in Florida? I live next to it so that would be soooooo worth applying lol

Do you know if they’re in partnership with Cleveland Clinic in Florida? I live next to it so that would be soooooo worth applying lol

No they don’t have a partnership.

Not OOS, so I didn’t have to deal with any of this, but the contract seems pretty spelled out on their website. Might be why they aren’t jumping to answer questions about it right now

No they don’t have a partnership.

Not OOS, so I didn’t have to deal with any of this, but the contract seems pretty spelled out on their website. Might be why they aren’t jumping to answer questions about it right now

it’s explained to some degree but there’s sentences in the contract that aren’t on their website. If that were the case, then a simple “check our website” would have worked. In this case, they told me to talk to 4 different people and juggled me around.

True, but I also agree with @voppp to some extent that the contract isn't fully explained. And the degree of commitment an OOS applicant makes by signing the contract is pretty huge (9+years of committment or a ton of $$$?) so as an OOS applicant you'd want to know what you're getting yourself into before binding yourself legally.

For those who are saying, apply in case of rejections elsewhere, well... if you're accepted into OUHCOM but not at all thrilled about everything said on the contract and ultimately decide not to go, why pay the secondary $$ and waste your time on their essays?
This is my point too. I'd be more willing to do the essays if I didn't already do 23 others. Likewise, there's a clause in the contract along the lines of "this money will be used to provide a medical education for one student" (not exact wording but close). And nowhere on their website can I find an explanation of what this means. Like, all for you IS people applying and anyone else. but I'm not signing into a contract without knowing more and they're dodgy at best.

Anyone else only wanting to apply to the Cleveland campus? From the area and I do NOT want to go to Athens. (and no connections to dublin)

My letters still aren't checked off. It's been past that "couple week" period they say on their instructions.

My letters still aren't checked off. It's been past that "couple week" period they say on their instructions.

That’s odd. My letters were checked off the first time I went on the supplemental app. Are you IS or OOS?

That’s odd. My letters were checked off the first time I went on the supplemental app. Are you IS or OOS?

OOS. I emailed them after had been like 2.5 weeks, but they seemed annoyed in their answer and told me to be patient. Secondary submitted 7/5.

I just received a complete email.
I submitted on 6/29 and the letters weren’t checked off.
I’m assuming it took them a whole month for my app.

If you put Athens as first choice, because it's the only campus that doesn't ask for yet another essay, does it exclude you from being considered from the other two campuses?

To clear up some of the issues on the OOS contract. OU made a contract with the state of Ohio stating, the incoming class at HCOM has to be 80% Ohio residents (not 100% sure on the percentage). To the best of my knowledge, if HCOM reaches the 80% target the OOS contract is nullified. It does not say this anywhere in the contract or in any supporting documentation on the website.

To clear up some of the issues on the OOS contract. OU made a contract with the state of Ohio stating, the incoming class at HCOM has to be 80% Ohio residents (not 100% sure on the percentage). To the best of my knowledge, if HCOM reaches the 80% target the OOS contract is nullified. It does not say this anywhere in the contract or in any supporting documentation on the website.
I do we know if OH reaches 80% of that year? Do they announce to all OOS acceptance?

If I selected Cleveland and Dublin as my #1 & #2 campus rankings should I submit the same essay for both, or do they both require a different essay? I am interested in primary care

EDIT: I am also an OOS applicant from a bordering state

Does anyone know how long the campus essay should be?

Does anyone know how long the campus essay should be?
I used the 250 word limit for the primary essay as a guide, but I went over. Both of my campus essays were 270 and 380 each. My thought was I didn't want to create some long drawn-out essay that lost their interest. I very much kept it to the point. Thats just me though. Not sure what others did.

lol for the OOS contract...if you get in just say you'll only accept if they tear it up.....its what everyone does.

Does anyone know if all students have to participate in the TOUCH program, or just the Cleveland campus?

all campuses, (and all DO schools for that matter, i believe) participate...you can participate as much as you would like. i believe 4 hours annually is the non-mandatory goal.