2020-2021 Kansas City University of Medicine and Biosciences (Joplin) KCU-COM

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
If all of our classes are Pass/Fail how are we ranked against other students?🤔

Members don't see this ad.

If all of our classes are Pass/Fail how are we ranked against other students?🤔
Say the passing grade is 70. If James gets a 75 and Tom gets an 80, then Tom is ranked higher than James.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey everyone! I was curious about research experience at the Joplin campus, as there seems to be more research opportunities at the KC campus. I found that Joplin partnered with MSSU to open a lab which is great news, but are there any other opportunities for research?
listen youre talking about research opportunities at a DO school. You have to drive that research. No one is going to give it to you. Its the catch 22 of being a DO student. You have to seek the opportunities. The research from MSSU is great. they have a lot of projects going, many friends of mine have published research from our bad ass amazing phd Dr. Staudinger. He is the life blood of this campus in research. Him and Dr. Woff those two dudes are the boys leading research on campus.

Reactions: 4 users
There is some clinical-focused research going on with faculty members and also with your preceptors/other area physicians as you transition into clerkships. Basically, research isn't going to be handed to you on a platter but you can find it if you put in the work and show interest.
YUP exactly this. YOU need to be the driver of your own research. No one is going to give it to you.

Anyone know what the first match list for the Joplin class looking like?

Reactions: 1 user
I found their match outcomes video online. I'm guessing it contains both Joplin and KC matches, but not positive:

I found their match outcomes video online. I'm guessing it contains both Joplin and KC matches, but not positive:

Some quick math on it: 43:08 long video. First person starts at 11 seconds in. Each person's slide is up for 6 seconds. (43*60+8-11) / 6 = 429.5. Class size of KCU-KC is 270 and Joplin is 162. So 270+162 = 432. So it's definitely both classes and appears at least a couple people dropped out.

In case y'all don't wanna try to sit through 43 minutes of video, I've exported map data from here: Match Day 2021 and I've converted it into an excel spreadsheet, sorted by state. Hope this helps!

Attachments

• Match_Day_2021_-_Kansas_City_University.xlsx
    19.5 KB · Views: 253
was the match rate close to 100%?🤔
We dont know yet. Assume so. Not out of the realm of possiblities. I know down in joplin from my class from the ultra competitive specialties had 2 ortho, 1 vascular, 1 neuro, 2 ortho, 3 urology, 2 optho...tons of IM sprinkle some anesthesia lots of FM and the occasional peds.

Reactions: 2 users
We dont know yet. Assume so. Not out of the realm of possiblities. I know down in joplin from my class from the ultra competitive specialties had 2 ortho, 1 vascular, 1 neuro, 2 ortho, 3 urology, 2 optho...tons of IM sprinkle some anesthesia lots of FM and the occasional peds.
Neuro surg, gen Surg, EM and i also heard a cardio-vascular surgery

Members don't see this ad :)
Could any current students speak on if it is normal to live alone freshman year? I'm pretty conflicted about living alone or trying to find a roommate and am leaning towards living alone, at least for first year. Is this something many students do or is is more common to try to find a roommate for first year?

Could any current students speak on if it is normal to live alone freshman year? I'm pretty conflicted about living alone or trying to find a roommate and am leaning towards living alone, at least for first year. Is this something many students do or is is more common to try to find a roommate for first year?
Honestly, its personal preference. I think that if you have roommates, it makes it easier since you have more of a support system. This year, however, I will say is out of the norm due to the pandemic. Since school was not open, people who lived alone did feel isolated. Honestly, it doesn't hurt to have roommates. I live with some, we're not best friends, but we talk and we do stuff together and its ncie to hang out wiht people sometimes.

in the list it shows only 1 orthopedic match, they usually have more than that I thought?

Does anyone know how many anesthesiology, radiology, and dermatology matches there were at Joplin?

yeah I know people lived alone. I really felt luck with my roomate first year. we are best friends so it helps. Im just weary of being too alone. you need to have friends and go to parties. its a great stress relief.

In case y'all don't wanna try to sit through 43 minutes of video, I've exported map data from here: Match Day 2021 and I've converted it into an excel spreadsheet, sorted by state. Hope this helps!
thanks for this! i think this list has 318 students. I know kansas city usually has like 230ish students but does anyone know the class size at Joplin?

edit: the reason this list only has 318 students is because many students did not report their match and appeared as "confidential" in the video.

Last edited:
Current students, I got a scholarship that requires me to maintain a 2.75 gpa all four years. What is a 2.75 med school gpa equivalent to in undergrad so I can get an idea of how hard this will be? Basically, is this very possible haha

Also since the curriculum changed to pass fail I'm thinking the scholarship requirement may change to "pass all courses." If this is the case, do most students pass classes?

Thank you :)

a 2.75 gpa is equal to a C+ in all courses. With P/F, you would probably need to hold a 77% average in all your classes. 70% is passing.
There is no conversion for med school GPA to undergrad. 77 average is doable, but just know med school isn't hard because of the content, it really is the amount of material that you get through for exams. There was an CPR exam and practical that was 175 questions total, and it covered almost 30 lectures.

a 2.75 gpa is equal to a C+ in all courses. With P/F, you would probably need to hold a 77% average in all your classes. 70% is passing.
There is no conversion for med school GPA to undergrad. 77 average is doable, but just know med school isn't hard because of the content, it really is the amount of material that you get through for exams. There was an CPR exam and practical that was 175 questions total, and it covered almost 30 lectures.
Wow yes it sounds like an overwhelming amount of material! Is 77% average maybe top 25% of the class? More like top 50%? I'm just trying to understand if this requirement is like being avg or significantly above avg. I also understand that being avg in med school is a huge accomplishment, I hope you get what i mean :)

Wow yes it sounds like an overwhelming amount of material! Is 77% average maybe top 25% of the class? More like top 50%? I'm just trying to understand if this requirement is like being avg or significantly above avg. I also understand that being avg in med school is a huge accomplishment, I hope you get what i mean :)

Classes are curved up to 85, so an average student at 50% will hold about a cumulative percent of 85%. 77% is probably about lower third or quarter of the class. But honestly its pass fail so no one really cares about class rank that much.

Any ice arenas / hockey leagues in Joplin? Couldn't find anything but figured it was worth a shot.

Any ice arenas / hockey leagues in Joplin? Couldn't find anything but figured it was worth a shot.
Hey! Not so much in Joplin but there is one in springfield (~50 min away). It's pretty much 4 turns after you get onto the highway so a pretty easy drive.

Just withdrew my acceptance (lost 2000$ :( ) ! Hopefully it goes to one of you guys :)

• Sad
Reactions: 3 users
Some quick math on it: 43:08 long video. First person starts at 11 seconds in. Each person's slide is up for 6 seconds. (43*60+8-11) / 6 = 429.5. Class size of KCU-KC is 270 and Joplin is 162. So 270+162 = 432. So it's definitely both classes and appears at least a couple people dropped out.
I'd caution to not assume "a couple people dropped out", because it is almost always NOT the case. A lot of people take a research year, do an anatomy or OMM fellowship (available at KCU), or otherwise.

I'd caution to not assume "a couple people dropped out", because it is almost always NOT the case. A lot of people take a research year, do an anatomy or OMM fellowship (available at KCU), or otherwise.
I don't think two people dropping out across two campuses is a huge deal anyway, but I would have / did assume what you're saying, but I feel like that's mostly taken into account already anyway because people last year probably did the same and are now matching this year. It's definitely possible there was just a net gain of two more people this year that did those other things compared to last year, yeah. I didn't mean to make it out to be a big deal either way.

For those looking for a place to live at the Joplin campus, my landlord is renting out a 3bed 2.5 bath for $1200/month that is a mile from campus. They accept pets and there is a fenced in yard (which is hard to come by in Joplin). DM me for details/interest.

For those looking for a place to live at the Joplin campus, my landlord is renting out a 3bed 2.5 bath for $1200/month that is a mile from campus. They accept pets and there is a fenced in yard (which is hard to come by in Joplin). DM me for details/interest.
My heavens... that’s insanely cheap. Huge plus for the Joplin campus.

Any current med students here live at Copperpoint? Who I can exchange dm's with?

Anyone from the 3/2 interview hear anything yet?

Hi guys. If I do research at the Joplin campus do you think I’ll be able to come home (I’m out of state) during summer? Thanks :)

Hey guys I saw that some people did not have a Facebook page. A new GroupMe has been made for accepted students. Message me if you would like to join and I will add you!

Hey guys I saw that some people did not have a Facebook page. A new GroupMe has been made for accepted students. Message me if you would like to join and I will add you!
Says unable to PM you. Any workaround?

anyone hear/know anything about the white coat ceremony? is it a first year thing, or when does it usually happen?

anyone hear/know anything about the white coat ceremony? is it a first year thing, or when does it usually happen?
The letter I received said they are tentatively holding it on the 23rd of July. So I’m assuming end of orientation and before classes start if all goes well.

Can you please message me :) I’m also unable to PM you

Hey everyone, I'm looking for an apartment in Joplin. If anyone has any rooms or wants to team up w me please shoot me a PM. :)

From what ive observed around 6 or so students from this last years "first years" dropped out or repeated in jomo. Listen we are at DO schools..sometimes students are taken in that cant hang. Rest assured though the school puts in every effort to keep you. They are good about that. They got you here they want your money lol.

Hi everyone i am looking for a roommate to live with me at the plaza apartments, DM me or text me at 313-358-0914 please

Do you guys know if residency programs know that we are specifically from Joplin campus or just that we are from KCUCOM? And is there even a dif? I know the goal is to make Joplin pretty much identical so I wonder what residency programs think. Thanks in advanced :)