2020-2021 Alabama College of Osteopathic Medicine (ACOM)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
congrats! mind sharing stats?

Thank you! And sure!

OOS, 3.6cGPA, 3.6sGPA, 506 MCAT. Got a some other extra curriculars.

Members don't see this ad.

A little frustrated, I took my MCAT on June 5th, got the score back July 7th and immediately sent it to AACOMAS. The other schools I am applying to all recieved my MCAT score but ACOM has not yet checked the box off.

Do they do a lot of this stuff manually?

Members don't see this ad :)
A little frustrated, I took my MCAT on June 5th, got the score back July 7th and immediately sent it to AACOMAS. The other schools I am applying to all recieved my MCAT score but ACOM has not yet checked the box off.

Some schools update things on portals in waves, but you could just send them an email and more than likely someone will go in and update it.

Reactions: 1 user
They review every single primary holistically and then send secondaries to those who qualify.

What do you mean by "qualify?" Because I have some upward trend stats & amazing ECs but if they screen by GPA then I'm not sure if I would apply, ya know? I'm also not from the South, would that make any difference?

What do you mean by "qualify?" Because I have some upward trend stats & amazing ECs but if they screen by GPA then I'm not sure if I would apply, ya know? I'm also not from the South, would that make any difference?

I am as far from the south (Southern CA), and I received an II. So even if there are regional ties, your EC's might look great to them.
Shoot your shot! You never know the outcomes/ minds of the adcoms.

During a presentation at my school, adcom member said that they read everything on the initial AACOMAS app. We were told the personal statement and experiences play a big role in whether a person receives a secondary. I truly believe they do take the overall, holistic approach after initially screening all AACOMAS apps and choose those that also meet their mission.

Interview Waitlist - Hold
tbh im really impressed with the turnaround for ACOM, it's the first school that's gotten back to me AND I just submitted my secondary a week and a half ago. Good luck to everyone interviewing though!

tbh im really impressed with the turnaround for ACOM, it's the first school that's gotten back to me AND I just submitted my secondary a week and a half ago. Good luck to everyone interviewing though!

What were your stats if you don't mind me asking? I am still waiting on a response from the school.

So I sent my CASPer results but it still says awaiting on my portal?

+1

Members don't see this ad :)
What were your stats if you don't mind me asking? I am still waiting on a response from the school.
505 MCAT, 3.1 cGPA, 2.9 sGPA (I'm doing a formal post bacc in the fall so that's prolly why I'm on the waitlist) 500+ hours of extracurriculars, 500+ hours healthcare experience, 200+ hours of volunteering, 2 publications and 1 poster presentation

Roughly 3.5 ugpa, 3.3 sgpa, 3.95 grad, 500-505 MCAT, 4500+ paid clinical, 1000+ healthcare volunteer, 500+ community service, plenty of service awards, extracurriculars etc. 3 research positions

Oh well at least i'm not completely rejected. XD

Reactions: 1 users
I am in the same boat as the interview-waitlist hold people, i'm not entirely sure what it entails but i'm hoping it is an indication that we will receive one in a few months.

I am in the same boat as the interview-waitlist hold people, i'm not sure what it means but i'm hoping it is an indication that we will receive one in a few months.
I'll do some research about it later by exploring some past forums. I'm hoping it just means they are waiting for some more comparable applicants first. Right now they are taking their best picks I think.

I'll do some research about it later by exploring some past forums. I'm hoping it just means they are waiting for some more comparable applicants first. Right now they are taking their best picks I think.

just spent an hour scouring last year's thread... it seems like a hit or miss, some got off and some never did :(

During a presentation at my school, adcom member said that they read everything on the initial AACOMAS app. We were told the personal statement and experiences play a big role in whether a person receives a secondary. I truly believe they do take the overall, holistic approach after initially screening all AACOMAS apps and choose those that also meet their mission.

well I just submitted my primary to them so hopefully I get a secondary!! hoping for the best - thanks!!

Guys I am super nervous for my interview. I did a few practice runs with myself in the mirror but that's it. It's my first and only one so far so its pretty nerve wracking. Any tips?

Guys I am super nervous for my interview. I did a few practice runs with myself in the mirror but that's it. It's my first and only one so far so its pretty nerve wracking. Any tips?

Tip: Just relax. Be yourself.

My portal showed that ACOM received my CASPer test yesterday but when I checked the portal again today the checkmark for CASPer was gone again. Is anyone else's portal showing the same thing??

My portal showed that ACOM received my CASPer test yesterday but when I checked the portal again today the checkmark for CASPer was gone again. Is anyone else's portal showing the same thing??
All my checkmarks are gone..

I received an interview invite from them on 7/16 and my portal just has my primary checked off (13% complete). It's probably just a visual glitch with their microsites.

To those who are interviewing this Friday (July 24), did you receive any confirmation email/follow up?

To those who are interviewing this Friday (July 24), did you receive any confirmation email/follow up?
I haven't heard anything. I believe that they were planning on sending the Zoom link and information on Thursday.

For those who received secondaries, how long after applying to ACOM did you receive it? Thanks!

For those who received secondaries, how long after applying to ACOM did you receive it? Thanks!

I received an email july 6 that they received my application and on July 9 I was invited to complete the secondary.

Received an email tonight (8:40 EST) from ACOM about the interview. Looks like the day will consist of an "Individual Student Interview" in the morning via Zoom, followed by an "Overview of Academic Life Group Presentation" in the afternoon (1 to 3 PM CST). There is an optional event where you can meet their student ambassadors from 4 to 5 PM CST.

Received an email tonight (8:40 EST) from ACOM about the interview. Looks like the day will consist of an "Individual Student Interview" in the morning via Zoom, followed by an "Overview of Academic Life Group Presentation" in the afternoon (1 to 3 PM CST). There is an optional event where you can meet their student ambassadors from 4 to 5 PM CST.
see you at the group presentation!
Did you also get the email about the mixer happening tomorrow night? I wonder how that's going to go down.

see you at the group presentation!
Did you also get the email about the mixer happening tomorrow night? I wonder how that's going to go down.
No, I saw something about it at the bottom of the first email from ACOM. I believe it is for minority students? I can't imagine how a mixer via Zoom will go down-- I feel awkward on Zoom even without other people around...

Good luck with your interview!

I am in the same boat as you. I can imagine they have to sift through a lot, I will probably reach out to them next week.

Current OMS-1 First day of class today! good luck with applying to everyone and let me know if you have any questions about campus or the area since you will not be visiting for interviews!

Reactions: 8 users
Current OMS-1 First day of class today! good luck with applying to everyone and let me know if you have any questions about campus or the area since you will not be visiting for interviews!
Hello, I was wondering how is the city there? Is it safe and is there lots of stuff to do? Thank you! Good luck with classes!!

Does anyone know how long it takes for your CASPer to be scored and sent to ACOM after completing it? I took mine on 7/19, so not sure how long I should wait before contacting CASPer/ACOM.

Does anyone know how long it takes for your CASPer to be scored and sent to ACOM after completing it? I took mine on 7/19, so not sure how long I should wait before contacting CASPer/ACOM.
It usually takes them 3 weeks to grade the exam, and then ACOM usually takes 2 weeks to put them in your folder after the scores are sent. Based on past threads i think you can receive an II from ACOM without a casper score, but require it prior to any acceptance.
So I think e-mailing ACOM a week and a half after your scores are sent should be good!

It usually takes them 3 weeks to grade the exam, and then ACOM usually takes 2 weeks to put them in your folder after the scores are sent. Based on past threads i think you can receive an II from ACOM without a casper score, but require it prior to any acceptance.
So I think e-mailing ACOM a week and a half after your scores are sent should be good!
Got it, thank you!!

Marked complete today, now waiting for an interview invite or not.

Hello, I was wondering how is the city there? Is it safe and is there lots of stuff to do? Thank you! Good luck with classes!!
Hey Dothan is a good-sized city so there are plenty of bars and restaurants. You have the gulf coast beaches 1.5 hrs away. New Orleans 3 hours away, Tallahassee ~2 hours, and around 2.5 hours to get to Atlanta. So there is plenty to do in the area for weekend getaways! You will have alot less free time then you think once you are in the middle of a semester.

Reactions: 2 users
Interviewed today! It was absolutely fantastic, very conversational. Interview is 2-on-1 and open file. Questions were mostly standard interview fare, with some specifics from your application thrown in. My interviewers were both great, and I'm loving the vibe that I'm getting from ACOM. They really seem to have everything together, especially for a younger school, and I'm looking forward to learning more about and hearing from the program!

Reactions: 13 users
Interviewed today! It was absolutely fantastic, very conversational. Interview is 2-on-1 and open file. Questions were mostly standard interview fare, with some specifics from your application thrown in. My interviewers were both great, and I'm loving the vibe that I'm getting from ACOM. They really seem to have everything together, especially for a younger school, and I'm looking forward to learning more about and hearing from the program!

was it through zoom ?