2019 PHAP (CDC's Public Health Associate Program)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Hello everyone, my name is Arianna and I'm from Jackson, MS. I am participating in the 2019 PHAP application process and I just wanted to share my interview experience with some of you who haven't been interviewed thus far. My interviewer was very nice, she actually called me about 5 minutes after my scheduled interview time. We had casual conversation where she told me a few things about PHAP (stuff you can find on the internet). Then she asked if I cared about living in a rural area and what my interests in public health was. Then she proceeded to ask about 5-6 questions, Example: Tell me about a time when you completed a project that you were really proud of... the interview lasted about 20 minutes and she ended with telling me about her experience as a PHAP advisor and what I should look forward to if I am successful. She also mentioned that an email will notify us if we made it around June or early July. I hope this helps someone!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
I know this is a forum specifically for PHAP, but does anyone have advice for getting a public health job? I never got the personal statement email and still want to work in public health, but it’s tough out there for someone without a nutrition degree or graduate degree.

Hi friends;

I've got a question for PHAP 2018 and earlier cohorts. If you are one of the lucky ones to be selected, what does PHAP ask you to submit besides accepting or rejecting the position within 24 hrs? Do they ask for recommendation letters, transcripts or proof of degree earned, background check or any other documents? I ask because I have a scheduled research assignment out of the country in June. Although I will have access to internet/email and phone, I wonder if I could prepare a few things before I leave town - just in case I get the call.
Thanks in advance!

Members don't see this ad :)
long time lurker first-time poster. I have my interview today and I am very excited but also a little nervous. Good luck to everyone who may be still waiting to do their interview!

I know this is a forum specifically for PHAP, but does anyone have advice for getting a public health job? I never got the personal statement email and still want to work in public health, but it’s tough out there for someone without a nutrition degree or graduate degree.
I would say networking is key, definitely apply for jobs on linkedin and indeed! Those sites actually work.

Reactions: 1 user

Hello! I find that this website Jobs | Public Health CareerMart has a wide range of public health jobs and has been helpful for me. You can truly make any degree relevant to public health and your volunteering, internships and life experiences are what matter most in searching for any job. What I have found helpful is also identifying local organizations that align with your interests and going to their websites to see if they have posting (they may not be able to afford to post on Indeed, Monster, etc). Agencies that work with individuals with disabilities, rape crisis centers, it really depends on what you are most passionate about but there are countless ways to work in public health.

I wish you the best of luck!

Reactions: 4 users
Anyone heard a rejection?

They’ve never sent rejections in the past and I would be very surprised if they started sending them this year. You can pretty much assume that if you weren’t contacted to move onto the next round (didn’t get contacted to interview or to write an essay) that you have been rejected.

Hi, @HealthEducator92 thanks for answering some questions from your perspective! It's so helpful hearing from someone that has gone through the whole thing. I was wondering, what was the offer call like? Did they tell you immediately where you were placed? Did you say yes on the spot, or call them back? And once you accepted, were the next steps very clear?

Thanks!! Any other advice would be welcomed as well. The wait is literally killing me.
I learned from the 2018 PHAP forum which area code they would call from. So when I saw the number, I knew immediately who it was. When they call, they tell you where you’ll be placed (City, State, Territory), your salary, what percentage the adjusted cost-of-living (COLA) will be in addition to your salary, and that you have x number of days to formally accept or decline the offer. The person who made my offer call told me I didn’t have to accept or decline right then and there and that I should talk to my family and friends before I decide. I had about two days to make a decision. (And about 2 months to the day before the first day of work.) She also mentioned that she would be following up with an e-mail containing additional details. I’d like to point out that they only mentioned the location during the call and not with whom I would be placed. (Since it was San Juan, PR, I mistakenly assumed my host site would be the CDC Dengue Branch. It ended up being the Puerto Rico Department of Health.) So I would advise you ask the following questions:
  1. Which organization you’ll be placed with. (It’s not always a health department.)
  2. What program area you’ll be working in.
  3. Ask if there are currently any PHAP stationed there. (If so, find out who they are and contact them. They’ll be able to give you the lowdown about the host site.)
Once I accepted the offer, which I believe I did by e-mail if I’m not mistaken, they provided follow up on next steps. This included how to do the background check, a link to a website where they ask you a ton of questions. (Previous employer, education, direct deposit information for your paychecks, etc.), and so on. They’ll eventually e-mail you with your host site, what your program area will be, your host site supervisor, and their information. (Most host sites haven’t been informed that they’re getting a PHAP yet. So once you have their contact information, I suggest you reach out to your host site supervisor, let them know that you’ve been selected to be (one of) their 2019 PHAP, and begin arrangements to discuss your duties and responsibilities a bit more, what to expect, etc.

Once you've received an offer and if you plan to accept, I would also suggest posting your host site location here and asking if anyone else was placed there. This forum can be a good spot for you to link up with any other PHAP at your site, especially if you're both moving to a new city.

Reactions: 6 users
Hi friends;

I've got a question for PHAP 2018 and earlier cohorts. If you are one of the lucky ones to be selected, what does PHAP ask you to submit besides accepting or rejecting the position within 24 hrs? Do they ask for recommendation letters, transcripts or proof of degree earned, background check or any other documents? I ask because I have a scheduled research assignment out of the country in June. Although I will have access to internet/email and phone, I wonder if I could prepare a few things before I leave town - just in case I get the call.
Thanks in advance!
See my previous response. ^^^ They will ask you to do a background check. I don't remember the details about that though. So I'm not sure if you can do that in advance since it's a federal background check. If you're going away, I would suggest making digital copies of all your important documents like ID, passport, social security card, etc. I can't remember if they asked for proof of graduation. (I believe they did, but not 100% on that.)

Reactions: 3 users
I learned from the 2018 PHAP forum which area code they would call from. So when I saw the number, I knew immediately who it was. When they call, they tell you where you’ll be placed (City, State, Territory), your salary, what percentage the adjusted cost-of-living (COLA) will be in addition to your salary, and that you have x number of days to formally accept or decline the offer. The person who made my offer call told me I didn’t have to accept or decline right then and there and that I should talk to my family and friends before I decide. I had about two days to make a decision. (And about 2 months to the day before the first day of work.) She also mentioned that she would be following up with an e-mail containing additional details. I’d like to point out that they only mentioned the location during the call and not with whom I would be placed. (Since it was San Juan, PR, I mistakenly assumed my host site would be the CDC Dengue Branch. It ended up being the Puerto Rico Department of Health.) So I would advise you ask the following questions:
  1. Which organization you’ll be placed with. (It’s not always a health department.)
  3. Ask if there are currently any PHAP stationed there. (If so, find out who they are and contact them. They’ll be able to give you the lowdown about the host site.)
Once I accepted the offer, which I believe I did by e-mail if I’m not mistaken, they provided follow up on next steps. This included how to do the background check, a link to a website where they ask you a ton of questions. (Previous employer, education, direct deposit information for your paychecks, etc.), and so on. They’ll eventually e-mail you with your host site, what your program area will be, your host site supervisor, and their information. (Most host sites haven’t been informed that they’re getting a PHAP yet. So once you have their contact information, I suggest you reach out to your host site supervisor, let them know that you’ve been selected to be (one of) their 2019 PHAP, and begin arrangements to discuss your duties and responsibilities a bit more, what to expect, etc.

Once you've received an offer and if you plan to accept, I would also suggest posting your host site location here and asking if anyone else was placed there. This forum can be a good spot for you to link up with any other PHAP at your site, especially if you're both moving to a new city.
Thank you so so much for this!! Super helpful info, it helps me relax a little bit in the chance I'm lucky enough to be chosen what that call/process will be like!

See my previous response. ^^^ They will ask you to do a background check. I don't remember the details about that though. So I'm not sure if you can do that in advance since it's a federal background check. If you're going away, I would suggest making digital copies of all your important documents like ID, passport, social security card, etc. I can't remember if they asked for proof of graduation. (I believe they did, but not 100% on that.)

Thanks so much!! :)

I'm assuming it will be an Alabama area code but just to be sure, is there any chance you remember and could share the area code you received the acceptance call from? Thanks for all the helpful information and tips!

I'm assuming it will be an Alabama area code but just to be sure, is there any chance you remember and could share the area code you received the acceptance call from? Thanks for all the helpful information and tips!
Wouldn't it be a 404 area code, Atlanta? I could be wrong...

Members don't see this ad :)

After checking the 2018 PHAP forum, calls came from area codes 404 and 770.

Last edited:
This is not true as I have called HR multiple times and they have informed me that there was a glitch in their system and they have not reviewed all applications yet.
I’ve called HR too and they told me that everyone would be receiving a response, either acceptance or rejection. Since many people have already completed their interviews, I suspect they may be doing the process in batches. Someone else suggested that they may be starting at the beginning of the alphabet. Has anyone confirmed that the people invited to interview so far are at the beginning of the alphabet?

I’ve called HR too and they told me that everyone would be receiving a response, either acceptance or rejection. Since many people have already completed their interviews, I suspect they may be doing the process in batches. Someone else suggested that they may be starting at the beginning of the alphabet. Has anyone confirmed that the people invited to interview so far are at the beginning of the alphabet?

My last name starts with an L and I interviewed last Wednesday so unfortunately it doesn’t seem like they’re going alphabetically. :/

@grnb Is correct. For me, it was a 770 area code. Atlanta has several area codes, so just familiarize yourself with them. I'm the type of person that doesn't answer calls from numbers I don't recognize. (If it's truly important, they usually leave a voicemail.) So it was helpful knowing which numbers to look out for. Whatever the area code, it should say Atlanta.

I just had my interview! It was super short, but I think it went well. I think it was so short because it is the end of the week and end if the day. Also, it's not as hectic as the panel interviews I've grown used to.
Can I ask if they used the "Mars question" this year? Or any question that was super strange?

Can I ask if they used the "Mars question" this year? Or any question that was super strange?

I personally didn’t have any strange, out-there questions, but my interviewer did ask me a critical thinking question about how I would launch an initiative in a community whose culture was different from mine!

I definitely got no Mars question, but now I'm dying to know what that means!
I suppose the Mars question was last year's critical thinking question. They posed the question something like this, "Suppose it's the future and there are people living on Mars. They have a problem with texting while flying, which has caused numerous accidents/deaths. You've never been to Mars before or flown to outer space. Nor are you familiar with the culture of Mars. You also don't speak the language on Mars. You've been tasked with creating an initiative aimed at reducing texting while flying. What would you do to accomplish this?"

My response was something along the lines of, "I would want to make sure whatever initiative I work on is culturally competent. So one of the first things I would do is bring onboard a translator, someone familiar with the culture and people on Mars. Next, while I know the issue is texting while flying, I would want to speak with the people of Mars to determine if they truly find this to be a problem or if they have another take on it. I wouldn't want to create a whole initiative just to find out this isn't important to them. I would also do more research about texting while flying, how it has affected the Martian people, and how often it happens. Then, after speaking with the people, I would make sure whatever messages I draft are culturally competent by looping in the translator, so as to make sure my messages come across as respectful and clear."

My answer was a little more in-depth than that, but I don't remember all the details. In retrospect, I found the question to be a basic public health question. They wanted to know what we would do in this situation. It kind of drew from the core of everything I was taught in class. I thought it was a weird question and wasn't sure if I answered it well. However, I ran the answer by one of my professors and she absolutely loved it. That, coupled with the fact that I'm now a PHAP, means I probably answered it well haha. Hopefully, anyway!

Wow this is crazy! If we are successful, this only gives 2 months to move and get adjusted to living in a new city. I wonder why the change.

EXACTLY, not just that but also to do our background check and all the extra stuff that it comes with.

Wow this is crazy! If we are successful, this only gives 2 months to move and get adjusted to living in a new city. I wonder why the change.

That's the Host Sites timeline. Associates timeline is still the same according to the website.
CDC - Application Process - Become an Associate - PHAP

From what we've been told by our supervisors, notices will start to go out mid-June/early July. (I received my notice on July 31st. Some people in my cohort didn't find out until August though. So it varies. There's no rhyme or rhythm to it. They don't go alphabetically. They just start contacting people.)

Oh wow, OK. Thank you so much for the info/confirmation
Less than 20 days and my heart will start pounding, oh boy. :(

From what we've been told by our supervisors, notices will start to go out mid-June/early July. (I received my notice on July 31st. Some people in my cohort didn't find out until August though. So it varies. There's no rhyme or rhythm to it. They don't go alphabetically. They just start contacting people.)

Do they provide any insight into places to stay in wherever you are relocated to? Perhaps lists of apartments that past PHAPs have had success with or anything? If selected, I'm nervous about finding a place that is safe and more importantly cleanly and pest free if I'm choosing an apartment or house to rent from across the country. If not, do you have any tips on the whole moving process?

Hi everyone!

Current PHAP here! I love seeing the active discussions on this page -- it looks like a LOT of people are expressing interest in the program over time.

Hi Carolina! 2018 PHAP here. If it's an issue that's important to you, like safety or something along those lines, I would mention it. I think there's a way you can do so respectfully. You could even mention why you changed your mind in the e-mail you send. But if it's for a reason like you just don't want to live in a rural area, I personally wouldn't say anything. But that's just me. Ultimately, you should do whatever you feel most comfortable with.

My buddy HealthEducator92 here has been very helpful in providing tips and tricks for the application process. Hopefully, you all have taken the tips he has given you regarding the interview process.

I think, like someone mentioned, the earliest you will hear back is mid-June (at least, that's what happened last year).

In addition to the tips searching on Monster, one of my colleagues developed this very helpful guide for seeking public health jobs!

Check out the guide here and share the wealth!

Lastly, while you're waiting on PHAP decisions, make sure to hunt for other good options so that you will be secure for a post-bac/grad positions. Google is your best friend and there are a lot of positions out there waiting to be filled!

Best of luck everyone!

Hi everyone!

Current PHAP here! I love seeing the active discussions on this page -- it looks like a LOT of people are expressing interest in the program over time.

My buddy HealthEducator92 here has been very helpful in providing tips and tricks for the application process. Hopefully, you all have taken the tips he has given you regarding the interview process.

I think, like someone mentioned, the earliest you will hear back is mid-June (at least, that's what happened last year).

In addition to the tips searching on Monster, one of my colleagues developed this very helpful guide for seeking public health jobs!

Check out the guide here and share the wealth!

Lastly, while you're waiting on PHAP decisions, make sure to hunt for other good options so that you will be secure for a post-bac/grad positions. Google is your best friend and there are a lot of positions out there waiting to be filled!

Best of luck everyone!

WOW, the link is AMAZING!!!
A lot of deadlines to keep up with of course. lol
Thank you for sharing and thanks to your colleagues for creating this.
Tomorrow's June 1. Let the count down beginning. Been praying since January about this whole process.

Do they provide any insight into places to stay in wherever you are relocated to? Perhaps lists of apartments that past PHAPs have had success with or anything? If selected, I'm nervous about finding a place that is safe and more importantly cleanly and pest free if I'm choosing an apartment or house to rent from across the country. If not, do you have any tips on the whole moving process?
They try their best to link you up with resources to help when you move. Depending on the state, they may have a list of apartments that give federal employees discounts and/or they may link you up with current PHAP in that state who can share what they did and their suggestions. This will all happen once you've been offered something and know your location.

For me, they did a group call of all current PHAP in the territories, former territory PHAPs, and PHAP currently/formerly in Hawai'i. The call also included some PHAP leadership and I believe my CDC supervisor. (That was so far back it's hard to remember the specifics.) But that call was extremely useful. They covered things like, what to do when apartment hunting, what they did, what to do if the bank that you use isn't in your location. (I use Wells Fargo and there are none in Puerto Rico. They recommended taking money out when I go to Walgreens or when making other purchases, since you don't pay a fee on that.) Depending on the host site/state, they may already have resources in place to share with you to make your move easier. It just depends where you get placed. They also provided all the new territory and Hawai'i PHAPs with a contact list of everyone on the call so we could reach out if we had any further questions. They also did some calls and training on the whole moving process, the ins and outs, what you should prepare/pack for, etc. It definitely helps. However, since there weren't many PR PHAPs at the time or before, I found that I had to do most of the research on my own.

Personally, I went to Puerto Rico about a month after the offer and spent a week apartment hunting. It took most of the trip to find something. If you have the available time and resources, I'd recommend doing something like that. But, if you don't, many PHAP simply packed a suitcase or two, made the trip about two weeks before the first day of work, and just looked for apartments. If you intend to do something like that, check out Airbnbs, people looking for short term room mates, or extended stay motels. Those will most likely be the most cost-effective places to stay. You can also check with places to see if they offer discounts for federal employees. You won't have your work IDs yet, but you can always show them your offer letter. (Also, it's a good idea to bring your offer letter with you when apartment hunting. They're going to ask for proof of income, so that'll show what your annual salary will be.)

I've mentioned it before, but once you've found out your host site's location, I would post that information here. That'll help connect you to any current or new PHAPs that are at the same site or close by. (Click here for a list of all current PHAP, broken down by state or territory.) Once you know the names of current PHAP, you can always search for them on social media.

Hopefully all of that helped. Let me know if any of you have additional questions!

Did anyone else get an email from HR to give them a call back before June 6th 9am est?

Edit: Just saw the subject line and it reads “Tentative job offer Public Health Advisor (PHAP)”

Last edited:
Reactions: 4 users
Did anyone else get an email from HR to give them a call back before June 6th 9am est?

Edit: Just saw the subject line and it reads “Tentative job offer Public Health Advisor (PHAP)”
Congratulations!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Congratulations!!!!!!!!!!!!!

It may be too early for a congratulations, but I’m also trying keep all my emotions in check until I actually get to talk to someone.

I received the email at 10:34 am PST and I called around 1 pm, then left a voicemail because the HR rep did not pick up. Haven’t heard back yet (probably due to the three hour time difference). I’m planning to call back if I don’t receive anything within an hour of the deadline.

It may be too early for a congratulations, but I’m also trying keep all my emotions in check until I actually get to talk to someone.

I received the email at 10:34 am PST and I called around 1 pm, then left a voicemail because the HR rep did not pick up. Haven’t heard back yet (probably due to the three hour time difference). I’m planning to call back if I don’t receive anything within an hour of the deadline.
Have you received a call from the GA area? I know most of the replies on other threads said they received either a call & email or at least one of the two initially. I can understand exactly how you feel! I’ll keep my fingers crossed for you!! I hope it’s your offer! :banana:

That's the subject line for the e-mail I received. Congratulations! :p

Have you received a call from the GA area? I know most of the replies on other threads said they received either a call & email or at least one of the two initially. I can understand exactly how you feel! I’ll keep my fingers crossed for you!! I hope it’s your offer! :banana:

No, I did not receive a call from any GA area codes or unknown numbers in general. I found it odd too, since everyone from the previous cohorts got phone calls.

Just got my placement!!! I’ve been placed in the U.S Virgin Islands~

I had a five minute conversation with my HR specialist. One thing that surprised me was that I was asked on the spot if I would accept or deny the position. Of course I accepted it, so I’m not sure if they give you a day or two to think it over.

She also told me more information about my specific host site, paperwork and webinars are supposed to be sent to my e-mail in the next few weeks.

I’m so relieved that this entire process has come to an end but I’m also beyond excited for what’s to come.

Good luck to everyone still waiting!!!

Reactions: 12 users

I had a five minute conversation with my HR specialist. One thing that surprised me was that I was asked on the spot if I would accept or deny the position. Of course I accepted it, so I’m not sure if they give you a day or two to think it over.

She also told me more information about my specific host site, paperwork and webinars are supposed to be sent to my e-mail in the next few weeks.

I’m so relieved that this entire process has come to an end but I’m also beyond excited for what’s to come.

Congratulations!!!!

Wow! That was fast! Congrats! Now you can prepare for your move!

Wow! That was fast! Congrats! Now you can prepare for your move!

Extremely quick! I wasn’t really expecting anything for the next few weeks. It came as a complete surprise when I received the e-mail yesterday.

Yayyyy! Congratulations! Now you can relax for the summer and get yourself prepared for the move. ;) Thanks for sharing with us!!!

Congratulations!!! Thank you for posting and keeping us updated :)

fingers crossed for those of us still waiting!

Congratulations!!!! What an exciting placement!

Awwwww Congratulation, the wait is over!!!!
So happy for you!

Has anyone else gotten an offer? And awesome! USVI sounds fantastic!

CONGRATS! That's so exciting! Didn't think decisions would be coming out so quick. It's great that you know early.