2019-2020 Cincinnati

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PapaGuava

The Real PG
Staff member
Administrator
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Please tag a pre-allo moderator when the second prompt is posted.

Good luck to everyone applying!

Interview Feedback: University of Cincinnati

Members don't see this ad.

Anyone know when we should be receiving secondary applications? Thanks!

Hello I wanted to know what my changes are for UC COM. MCAT score 511, 170+ hours of clinical volunteering, 80 hour shadowing, currently working as a certified nursing assistant, exec of two organizations, and also volunteering at my mosque as a teacher for the past couple years. Thank you!
Are you in or oos? Also what's your undergrad GPA? UC does have a preference for IS candidates but your MCAT is right at their average for incoming students!

Members don't see this ad :)
Anyone know when we should be receiving secondary applications? Thanks!
I think AAMC said they'd be distributing the primary application to the designated schools the last Friday of this month, so the 28th?

My gpa is 3.97. Im out of state but i have lived in Cincinnati for about 8 years.
Your GPA is amazing, you should be fine!
From what I remember 3 years ago (unless they changed the secondary question). They ask why you are choosing Cincinnati/what your connection is to Cincinnati. So you could definitely at least write about it.

Last edited:
Can you post prompts please?
1) Please explain both of the following: 1) the specific reason(s) you have chosen to apply to the University of Cincinnati College of Medicine and 2) how you will utilize the unique features of our curriculum, institution, city, and/our mission to achieve your career goals. 2000 Characters

2) Please explain why you have chosen to pursue a career in medicine rather than choosing any other path. Specifically, explain in what way medicine suits your personality, skills/attributes, goals, etc. in ways that other careers do not. 2000 char

3)The University of Cincinnati is highly committed to selecting and cultivating students who can transform the field of medicine through the use of their distinct talents and attributes. Please tell us how you offer “diversity of thought” to our incoming class. Please also consider sharing unique, personally important, and/or challenging factors in your background that represent the diversity that you bring. 2000 char

then your standard gap year questions.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
It seems like we are only allowed to select one country of origin under the race section (ex: Pakistan, China, India, etc). If I am mixed Asian, do I just select one or enter both under "other"?

PSA: when you're entering your parents information, hit "save" at the bottom, not "save and continue," cause it does not save and continue lol.

Reactions: 1 user
1) Please explain both of the following: 1) the specific reason(s) you have chosen to apply to the University of Cincinnati College of Medicine and 2) how you will utilize the unique features of our curriculum, institution, city, and/our mission to achieve your career goals. 2000 Characters

2) Please explain why you have chosen to pursue a career in medicine rather than choosing any other path. Specifically, explain in what way medicine suits your personality, skills/attributes, goals, etc. in ways that other careers do not. 2000 char

3)The University of Cincinnati is highly committed to selecting and cultivating students who can transform the field of medicine through the use of their distinct talents and attributes. Please tell us how you offer “diversity of thought” to our incoming class. Please also consider sharing unique, personally important, and/or challenging factors in your background that represent the diversity that you bring. 2000 char

Also these:

"Were you ever the recipient of an institutional action (i,e. disciplined, probation, suspended, or dismissed) by any college, university, or medical school for unacceptable academic performance or conduct violation, even though such action may not have interrupted your enrollment or required you to withdraw? If yes, please explain fully below." 750 characters.

"Have you ever participated in a pre-conviction program or been convicted of, pled guilty, or no contest to: a felony and/or criminal offense (include information even if charges have been dropped, dismissed, or otherwise mitigated)? If yes, please explain below." 1000 characters.

"Have you ever been convicted of or pled guilty or no contest to, any moving traffic violations (moving violations include speeding tickets)? If yes, please explain fully below. (include information even if charges have been dropped, dismissed, or otherwise mitigated)." 750 characters.

"Have you ever matriculated at or attended any medical school as a candidate for the M.D. degree? If yes, please explain below. " 750 characters

The gap year question is:
"in 1000 characters, provide a thorough explanation of all activities planned between now and your matriculation into medical school (Fall 2020)."

For the second prompt, I feel like any reason I list could be countered by saying "well, X profession has this too." I feel like many of the aspects of medicine that I like are found in other careers too. So I was wondering what people's approach to this prompt is?

Members don't see this ad :)
Still not received. Are they sending them in waves since yesterday morning?

Edit: Received 11AM PST 7/1

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 2 users
Secondary received on 6/30. OOS.

Are there any current students willing to describe their experiences at UCCOM? It'd be great to get some insight.

Submitted; email of completion (?) sort of cause the payment and app apparently don't communicate

I never got a completion email, but my status says complete

Real nice UC, another subtly disguised "why medicine" prompt. DEFINITELY looking forward to this!

Reactions: 1 users

do you know if 2000 char includes spaces?

anyone else pissed about the "why medicine" prompt? Like look at my primary application and you'll get 5,300 characters about "why medicine"

Reactions: 3 users
anyone else pissed about the "why medicine" prompt? Like look at my primary application and you'll get 5,300 characters about "why medicine"
Nah, those kinds of questions (where you have to come up with new information for the same type of prompt) are introspection gold. You already answered it once - being able to answer it a second time in a different way will yield an answer that is perfect for whatever place you interview at.

Nah, those kinds of questions (where you have to come up with new information for the same type of prompt) are introspection gold. You already answered it once - being able to answer it a second time in a different way will yield an answer that is perfect for whatever place you interview at.
I still got 15 secondaries to write, I don't need this introspection. this school also has no real good information about their curriculum or why students should join. and to answer your next question, i am thinking about not even applying

I still got 15 secondaries to write, I don't need this introspection. this school also has no real good information about their curriculum or why students should join. and to answer your next question, i am thinking about not even applying
Nope, gonna help you out.

Here is their entire curriculum:

Here is information on their core research facilities:

Here is their information on why Cincinnati:

Reactions: 10 users
Dang I thought I found a lot for why Cincinnati :eyebrow:

• Haha
So the third secondary essay asks about how you bring 'diversity of thought' did anyone take this as them asking specifically for diversity other than the usual demographic diversity (race, SES, sexuality)?? Or did everyone just take this as any other diversity question?

So the third secondary essay asks about how you bring 'diversity of thought' did anyone take this as them asking specifically for diversity other than the usual demographic diversity (race, SES, sexuality)?? Or did everyone just take this as any other diversity question?
Regular diversity essay. Your SES, race, and sexuality most definitely could contribute to your diversity of thought, however.

M1 here, yes, it can mean any type of diversity. They are trying to get an idea of what sets you apart... I am ORM so mostly wrote about work/life experiences.

"Have you ever been convicted of or pled guilty or no contest to, any moving traffic violations (moving violations include speeding tickets)? If yes, please explain fully below. (include information even if charges have been dropped, dismissed, or otherwise mitigated)."
well shoot. Is paying a ticket considered pleading guilty?

Dang ur in the same boat as me memelord? And according to the above question, yes, as you were convicted of the moving violation
I haven’t had any in four years if that matters...If anything pops up on my background check and I have had a Cincinnati interview I will be sure to update them.

I am going to play plausible deniability until I look at my background check. I honestly forgot about any speeding tickets I had...

Paying a ticket is pretty clear-cut pleading guilty to a moving violation. I'd update them now because if they pull your background check earlier, like before inviting you for interview, or just look up court records (since tickets are all public record) this looks careless at best and malicious at worst.

The prompt also specifically asks you to disclose even if it doesn't show up on a background check. Cincinnati does a more in-depth check that will reveal things that don't appear on standard BG checks like the one you'll be looking at.

or just look up court records (since tickets are all public record)
Didn’t know this, will do! Does it have to be the county or can it be the state?
Paying a ticket is pretty clear-cut pleading guilty to a moving violation.
I read the prompt and thought “Well, I have received a speeding ticket but never pleaded guilty to anything.” Didn’t realize paying a ticket was pleading guilty. Will follow through! Will likely just submit an update on the secondary if that is an option. If not will email.

I got my license in 1990 (yes, I'm old). I emailed them to ask them how far back they really needed since I likely forgot something in the past 29 years. Their response -- "You pose a good question. It would be important to list ALL traffic violations that you have received. Should you be a successful applicant, you will eventually be required to pass through two separate background checks and should they not match with what you have reported on your application, this would be an issue. We look forward to receiving your application in the near future!"

I'm almost certainly going to have an "issue". SMH
You didn’t disclose either lol?

Didn’t know this, will do! Does it have to be the county or can it be the state?

I read the prompt and thought “Well, I have received a speeding ticket but never pleaded guilty to anything.” Didn’t realize paying a ticket was pleading guilty. Will follow through! Will likely just submit an update on the secondary if that is an option. If not will email.

Typically you'd look through the Clerk of Courts (or equivalent) in your county if you just wanted a county-wide search, but most states offer state-wide searches. Most (if not every single one, even the most basic) background check services will do this as well, so it will almost certainly show up on a background check.

In background checks, misdemeanors and felonies show up right? Just wanna make sure my traffic violation isn’t one of those cuz then I would have to update every school lol. And I’m an EMT and have had background checks after my traffic violation, I wouldn’t have gotten the job had I had a felony or misdemeanor correct? If so, then I’m good for every other school besides UC then correct? @MemeLord @cbenet @Seihai

All misdemeanors and felonies will almost certainly show up, unless they were expunged completely. More stringent background checks (the one UC seems to use, and that other schools might use) will probably show even expunged crimes.

Traffic violations aren't a special "class" of offence - they can be misdemeanors or felonies just like any other crime. For example, a DUI is a traffic/moving violation just like speeding is, but they're not necessarily both the same "class" (DUIs are almost certainly felonies).

You need to look at your state and city laws. Some states consider speeding offences and other moving violations to be misdemeanors (in which case you absolutely must report them and not doing so could easily get your acceptance rescinded), while others consider them to be "infractions" (which are a lower level of crime below misdemeanors, which you may or may not need to report depending on the school).

No one here is a lawyer (presumably) and no one here can ethically advise you on whether your specific situation is considered a misdemeanor/felony. If you're worried about this, you need to talk to an actual lawyer and figure out what offences you've committed and what levels they were considered at.

Typically you'd look through the Clerk of Courts (or equivalent) in your county if you just wanted a county-wide search, but most states offer state-wide searches. Most (if not every single one, even the most basic) background check services will do this as well, so it will almost certainly show up on a background check.
Alright, sweet thanks. Apparently I had 3 tickets between 2014 and 2016 and none since in my current state...gonna look up every state I have driven in now because I am unsure...Thanks for the heads up.

Do you think upload into secondary is sufficient?