2019-2020 Arkansas College of Osteopathic Medicine (ARCOM)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Can you copy and paste what was wrote? I don't know how to find it that way lmao

Females typically wear a blouse and dress pants or dresses/skirts to class.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
This may have already been asked in an ARCOM thread, but since this is a closed file interview will the interviewer have access to anything other than your name and hometown (personal statement, etc.)?

This may have already been asked in an ARCOM thread, but since this is a closed file interview will the interviewer have access to anything other than your name and hometown (personal statement, etc.)?

I asked during my interview and they said they knew literally 0 about me.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
No, it wouldn't be closed file if they did.

While it is closed file, they do know your name and hometown from an itinerary sheet (which you get a copy of on interview day).

I’m attending ARCOM this fall 2020! I’m super excited about everything, including meeting you all! Any current or prospective student know any cool insights about the school or the city in general? What are y’all most excited about??

Reactions: 2 users
Anyone know where to fill out on campus housing information?

Submitted my 2k deposit and matriculation form. What other necessary steps do we need to do? Or are we just waiting for them to send us other forms (i.e physical, drug screening, etc.)?

I submitted an application/contact information to The Residents approximately 1 month ago and they reached out to me previously, saying that they will contact me when they are ready to accept deposits for next year. Was anyone else told this also? Just wanted to make sure before they forget and I have to find somewhere else to live lol...

I submitted an application/contact information to The Residents approximately 1 month ago and they reached out to me previously, saying that they will contact me when they are ready to accept deposits for next year. Was anyone else told this also? Just wanted to make sure before they forget and I have to find somewhere else to live lol...
I was told the same. I wouldnt worry about it.

placed on the waitlist for ARCOM as of 12/17 :( . Does anyone know how the waitlist moves for ARCOM? I've sent them updates on my academic grades just a few weeks ago, how long should I wait till I send out the letter of intent

placed on the waitlist for ARCOM as of 12/17 :( . Does anyone know how the waitlist moves for ARCOM? I've sent them updates on my academic grades just a few weeks ago, how long should I wait till I send out the letter of intent
Me too probably no movement on the waitlist.

Members don't see this ad :)

When did you interview?

Just out of curiosity, is anyone taking a dog to med school next year, specifically an English Bulldog?

Does anyone have the academic calendar for next year or know when it will be released?

I know this isn’t tooo recent, but I just saw the information stating ARCOM partnering with a hospital in Seoul, Korea. Could any current student shed light on what that means for current/incoming students?

I know this isn’t tooo recent, but I just saw the information stating ARCOM partnering with a hospital in Seoul, Korea. Could any current student shed light on what that means for current/incoming students?
+1 and the costa rica sites.

Did someone receive the ARCOM M.S. biomedicine program email. Is this a rejection letter off the waitlist?

Did someone receive the ARCOM M.S. biomedicine program email. Is this a rejection letter off the waitlist?
I got it and I was accepted so I think it was just a mass email.

Thank. Do you think writing a LOI to ARCOM will help.
I honestly don't know how much it actually helps. Wouldn't hurt though. I think more than this it would be wise to send updates to your application to continue to sell yourself.

Declined my acceptance here earlier this week. Good luck to all attending ARCOM this upcoming year! A great school with a great future.

I am wondering, does anyone yet know OMS-I orientation dates for this year? Thanks!

Do y’all know if the school provides health and dental insurance for the students? And if so, how much is it?

Do y’all know if the school provides health and dental insurance for the students? And if so, how much is it?

They do not provide health/dental insurance for students. Best option is to apply for Arkansas Medicaid.

I can’t remember , but is attendance mandatory?

I can’t remember , but is attendance mandatory?
For Labs, TBLs, Anatomy, OPP and FOPC lectures, Yes.
For BECOM, FHC, No, as long you maintain 80% in the class and it's not a guest lecture.

Last edited:
Here are the orientation week dates that were recently provided to me from the office of the registrar:
  • DO Class of 2024 Orientation – Monday, July 20 – Wednesday, July 22, 2020
    • 8:00 a.m. – 5:00 p.m. each day
    • Optional evening events
  • Fish Fry/White Coat Picnic – Friday, July 24, 2020
    • 5:00 p.m. in the front street of ARCOM
  • White Coat Ceremony for the ARCOM Class of 2024 – Saturday, July 25, 2020
    • 10:00 a.m.
    • ArcBest Performing Arts Center at the Fort Smith Convention Center

Reactions: 6 users
Current students: Does ARCOM provide scholarships to a lot of students, other than the stethoscope scholarship?

if it’s not TMI, how are you guys financing your education? I know the average debt after med school is around $200K-$250K. Does that seem like an accurate number to you guys?

Current students: Does ARCOM provide scholarships to a lot of students, other than the stethoscope scholarship?

if it’s not TMI, how are you guys financing your education? I know the average debt after med school is around $200K-$250K. Does that seem like an accurate number to you guys?
They have a list of outside scholarships you can apply for on the school website (Apply for Scholarships | ACHE), but I just use federal loans to finance everything. Based on COA if you accept the max amount of loans available, the total amount after 4 years would be around 290K. Many people manage to live on less than the max amount though because the cost of living is not too bad here, so you can definitely bring it down a little bit.

They have a list of outside scholarships you can apply for on the school website (Apply for Scholarships | ACHE), but I just use federal loans to finance everything. Based on COA if you accept the max amount of loans available, the total amount after 4 years would be around 290K. Many people manage to live on less than the max amount though because the cost of living is not too bad here, so you can definitely bring it down a little bit.

Was there anything you felt you had to purchase for classes before getting to school, or shortly after arriving? Aside from the diagnostic kit and the OMM uniform.

Also, what’s in the diagnostic kit?

Sent from my iPhone using SDN

Here are the orientation week dates that were recently provided to me from the office of the registrar:
  • DO Class of 2024 Orientation – Monday, July 20 – Wednesday, July 22, 2020
    • 8:00 a.m. – 5:00 p.m. each day
    • Optional evening events
  • Fish Fry/White Coat Picnic – Friday, July 24, 2020
    • 5:00 p.m. in the front street of ARCOM
  • White Coat Ceremony for the ARCOM Class of 2024 – Saturday, July 25, 2020
    • 10:00 a.m.
    • ArcBest Performing Arts Center at the Fort Smith Convention Center
This is for this year? Last year white coat ceremony was September. I wonder why they changing it. Just curious

This is for this year? Last year white coat ceremony was September. I wonder why they changing it. Just curious
Yes, for this year. I received the same dates from the Office of Registrar & from the Office of Admissions (I emailed them separately). Thus, I am 100 % sure that the info is accurate...:)

Was there anything you felt you had to purchase for classes before getting to school, or shortly after arriving? Aside from the diagnostic kit and the OMM uniform.

Also, what’s in the diagnostic kit?

Sent from my iPhone using SDN
iPad with pencil is useful for note taking especially with the notability app.
Don't waste money on buying the textbooks unless you're someone that really must have physical copies.
Get boards and beyond and first aid and start using them (annotate First aid) with classes from day 1. It will make world of difference when it comes time for board studying.
Use Zanki from day 1 for space repetition if you're into flash cards (this is free). Otherwise try to find other ways that works for you.
For now though, make sure you enjoy your free time with family and friends. You will not get those precious time back once you start school.
DON'T PRE-STUDY!!! It's useless.

Reactions: 5 users
Because having one after you start school is a little silly. Just IMO

Is there any word on the COMPLEX pass rate or USLME scores?

I have faith that ARCOM will be a great school and Performance on these is exams is very self-driven no matter where you go, but it may be useful to know!

I have faith that ARCOM will be a great school and Performance on these is exams is very self-driven no matter where you go, but it may be useful to know!

Use the search function, type in "ARCOM", and check the results. There's been some discussion that the COMLEX Level 1 1st time pass rate is as high as 90% but could be as low as 85% because of the number of students who hadn't taken the exam by the time first estimates were released.

However, being a new school and all, a pass rate of 85% would actually pretty decent for a new school. As long as changes are made in a positive direction, there's no reason for the pass rate to not go up!

Use the search function, type in "ARCOM", and check the results. There's been some discussion that the COMLEX Level 1 1st time pass rate is as high as 90% but could be as low as 85% because of the number of students who hadn't taken the exam by the time first estimates were released.

However, being a new school and all, a pass rate of 85% would actually pretty decent for a new school. As long as changes are made in a positive direction, there's no reason for the pass rate to not go up!

According to our dean, it's currently at 86.2% with 4 students' scores still unaccounted for. For comparison, many new schools have started with a lower first time pass rate, and even some established schools have had comparable first pass rates in recent years. Though it's not a high first time pass rate, it is still on-par with what you would expect from a new school and should only get better from here. See more info on other COMs first time pass rates here: COMLEX Level 1 First Time Pass Rates - 2012-2016

Does anyone know the process on the next step before matriculation such as drug screen and vaccination records?

Will we be submitting our own drug test through a chain-of-custody and is it urine or hair?

Does anyone know the process on the next step before matriculation such as drug screen and vaccination records?

Will we be submitting our own drug test through a chain-of-custody and is it urine or hair?
You will be ordering/scheduling these tests on your own. Then you will be submitting them on Castlebranch. My drug test was through Quest diagnostics and they did urine.

Hey guys!

Is there an accepted students page on facebook yet? Looking forward to meeting everyone!