2018-2019 Medical School for International Health (MSIH) application thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

nikorecipe

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
hi! anyone else applying here? i thought we could share info and post stats. :)

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Interviewing 09/13. Submitted 07/03 -> Complete 07/05 -> II 07/23.

505 (127/124/128/126). c3.79 & s3.87 (AMCAS weighted including 4.0 post-bacc pre-med).

Last edited by a moderator:
Members don't see this ad :)
oh, awesome!! please let me know how it goes. i have an interview 9/27!

thanks! you, too! i'm from the US west coast. LizzyM score of 63. where are you from? is this your top choice?

East coast myself, not sure what my LizzyM is though. MCAT/GPA? And yes, it definitely is! You?

i would give you the link but it won't allow me because i don't have enough post likes. oh well. you can google LizzyM score and find calculators. yes!! totally my top choice. why is it for you? i'm sure your interview will be great. :) did you apply to sackler/technion?

I applied to Sackler but not Technion - I'm interested in MSIH for a multitude of reasons, but particularly their global health program and some of their curriculum aspects, as well as some more personal reasons. Their primary clinical rotation hospital also interests me greatly.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have a history in international relations and want to work abroad with MSF/other organizations. plus, i want to study in another country! :) if we both get in (fingers crossed!!!) we should chat about it.

New member to SDN, thought I wold post my stats. Submitted 8/22, II 8/30. LizzyM ~69. What did you guys think of the interview?

Members don't see this ad :)
nice! it went pretty well for me. they were super friendly. you?

I haven't interviewed yet. I'll let you know after I do.

I thought both interviews were very relaxed and friendly. A bit hard to gauge how they went but I think overall well. When are you scheduled for?

I had my interview last Thursday. It was really relaxed. They’re mostly looking for fit and genuine interest in global/international health.

Can I be so bold as to interject something here?

For what it's worth, I'm staring down the barrel at 50. It's very close. Honestly, I barely remember the person-formerly-known-as-"Skip" when he was 22-years-old. Why? Because that was nearly 28 years ago.

The stats posted here are good enough to gain admission to many U.S. MD-granting programs. So... I ask... what are your intentions? I mean, put aside the noble "change the world" stuff that, like a tattoo on the superficial area just cephalad to the sacrum which seemed like a good idea to a plethora of 20-somethings females less than two decades ago, seems like a good idea and one that you will never regret. Ben Gurion is a great school. But, you can do all these "world health" things with a U.S. medical degree too. And, you will never be considered an IMG with the requisite regulatory baggage that accompanies that.

I know many physicians who, for example, volunteer time with Medicins San Frontieres, go on mission trips (present company included), and do all other manor of involvement with global health initiatives. Most of them got their healthcare degrees inside the U.S.

I throw that out there not to rain on anyone's parade. I can tell you for certain, though, that who you are now is a far different person than you'll be 3 decades from now. Life is long. And hard. And full of unexpected twists and turns. But, middle age will be here before you know it. Sadly. Truly.

So, do not wittingly handicap yourself. And, always remember, that someone inevitably is trying to sell you something... whether you're willing to accept that or not. There is - literally - no such thing as a free lunch. Commerce is at the heart of everything. That's not cynicism. That's knowledge. And wisdom.

In my opinion, if you're a strong U.S. candidate with good stats, this program should be a back-up, not a primary, plan. You can do everything this program is offering while gaining a U.S. degree, all supervening religious motivations aside.

($0.02)

-Skip

accepted via email this afternoon.

hey everyone! I have an interview with MISH coming up in January and I was curious if anyone could provide me some insight on interview questions, interview duration, and the number of people you interview with. Thanks in advance!

hey everyone! I have an interview with MISH coming up in January and I was curious if anyone could provide me some insight on interview questions, interview duration, and the number of people you interview with. Thanks in advance!
The day consisted of two one-on-one interviews with faculty members. Both were very conversational and relaxed, lasting about 45 minutes each. One focused more on the school's mission - global health experiences, adapting to life in Israel, general information about who you are as a person (hobbies, extracurriculars, volunteering, etc...). The second interview was more geared towards my being able to ask questions regarding anything about the school.

After the interview there was a short information session, ~30 minutes, that just talked about the school. If accepted, they said they'll be sending more information regarding the actual enrollment and matriculation process late winter / early fall, as well as multiple group phone calls.

Good luck on your interview!

Does anyone who interviewed have Dr. Quittell's email? If so could you send it personally? :) Thank you!!!!!!

Accepted! Interviewed on Dec 20
LM 71, Canadian applicant

...now to make the decision between Sackler and MSIH

Accepted! Interviewed Jan 9th. Has anyone decided if they are committing to MSIH?

Still deciding. I am torn since I am yet to hear from some schools I interviewed with. I really like the program though..

Still deciding. I am torn since I am yet to hear from some schools I interviewed with. I really like the program though..

I know, same here. I really really love the program its just a huge jump lol

Hi! First time posting. Anyway, I recently found out about MSIH, thought it was an incredible program, threw my materials together, and applied. They received my application on Monday (3/4) and I received an offer for an interview this afternoon (3/6). So that's pretty cool! Anyway, I know I'm a bit late in their application cycle (seems they're rushing by now), and they want to schedule my interview for late next week. I'm wondering if anyone has any tips about what kind of questions to expect? Did anything throw you off? I see that part of the interview is about global health interest and the other part is more conventional, but anything else I should know before setting a date? Thank you!

I hear BGU-MSIH lost its federal student loan eligibility due to many students failing a board exam. Can anyone verify/ elaborate?

Last edited:
Hi,

I recently had my interview for MSIH in NY and forgot to askt he interviewers for their business cards. I've googled their names and cannot seem to come up with their email addresses. Does anyone have their contact information so that I can send them a thank you email?

Hi,

I recently had my interview for MSIH in NY and forgot to askt he interviewers for their business cards. I've googled their names and cannot seem to come up with their email addresses. Does anyone have their contact information so that I can send them a thank you email?
Who interviewed you?

How did the interview go? I am scheduled to interview on Dec 6th. Would appreciate any insight.

both interviews were good. very informal, conversational... it was open file and they did ask a lot of questions about my application. They asked me if i applied to sackler, which I thought was weird, but other than that it was a very normal interview.

both interviews were good. very informal, conversational... it was open file and they did ask a lot of questions about my application. They asked me if i applied to sackler, which I thought was weird, but other than that it was a very normal interview.
Oh that's good to hear. Informal ones definitely takes some pressure off. Did you hear back since?

Oh that's good to hear. Informal ones definitely takes some pressure off. Did you hear back since?
I got accepted a few weeks after my interview. I was supposed to give them an answer by nov 2nd but I asked for an extension and have until the 22nd to give them an answer. I don't think I'm going to put down a deposit though.

Is the MD degree you get equivalent to one you would get in the US? I am assuming yes since you take the USMLE and most do residency in the US.

Is the MD degree you get equivalent to one you would get in the US? I am assuming yes since you take the USMLE and most do residency in the US.
I mean equivalent in the fact that you can apply to a US residency but you'd be considered IMG status which you can find info about match rates online about. Sackler has good match rates for students returning to the states, don't know if this program has similar results.

edit: Their class of 2019 had 13 matches. They state 93% match rate but that's an awfully low sample size.