2018-2019 Duke-NUS Graduate Medical School Application

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Anyone heard back yet...? *slowly breaking down over here*:help::help::help:

Hey! I received an email on the 1st saying that one of my transcripts required WES translation (even though it’s a Canadian University). So, I called them to clarify the situation and ask if I would still be considered for early application deadline. They said I had 2-3 weeks still to be considered as long as I get my documents in within a couple weeks and a screenshot of the report to the office. Of course they still require the official document which is being directly mailed to them. Since I’m Canadian, they said I’d likely be invited to the applicant day in North America anyway, which gives me time. I don’t know what this means for IIs but, you should start to hear from them soon.

Members don't see this ad.

Hey! I received an email on the 1st saying that one of my transcripts required WES translation (even though it’s a Canadian University). So, I called them to clarify the situation and ask if I would still be considered for early application deadline. They said I had 2-3 weeks still to be considered as long as I get my documents in within a couple weeks and a screenshot of the report to the office. Of course they still require the official document which is being directly mailed to them. Since I’m Canadian, they said I’d likely be invited to the applicant day in North America anyway, which gives me time. I don’t know what this means for IIs but, you should start to hear from them soon.
Oh wow! Have you been able to get your transcript submitted yet? I submitted mine on the 1st and got a complete email on the 4th. But nothing since so I'm just a lil nervous. Do you mind sharing your stats?

Members don't see this ad :)
I’m also waiting for it, super anxious If you mind sharing your stats for the application?
Sure! GPA 3.81, MCAT 516. Some experiences in research, volunteer, shadow and all the pre-med stuff. Hbu?

Sure! GPA 3.81, MCAT 516. Some experiences in research, volunteer, shadow and all the pre-med stuff. Hbu?

Mine is GPA 4.76, MCAT 512, and some experiences too just like you! Hopefully we’ll stand a chance haha

Reactions: 1 user
I’m sitting at 3.9/4.0 but not a great MCAT (507). I studied only for a month but the material was fresh as the topics were recently covered during my degree. Thinking about retaking it if I don’t get in this cycle.

Research and ECs: Loads of clinical research during my masters (2.5 years in anesthesia research). I worked with patients 3-4 times a week. My supervisor was an MD/PhD so shadowed him in the OR quite a bit (and he offered to help find other physicians to shadow because he knew my intentions were to go to medical school after). Had a chance to shadow neurologists, anesthesiologist and quite a few neurosurgeons. I volunteered weekly at my local hospital in the paediatrics dept. for 2 years and worked closely with paediatricians. I also worked as a medical first responder with a first aid company (St. John Ambulance) for about a year.

I also have 2 years of lab work as an analyst in an environmental safety/pollution monitoring lab (unrelated to medicine). I also did my undergraduate degree with an Honors with thesis and worked in a lab for 7 months doing research on drug delivery systems and other polymeric applications.

I volunteered for 6 years in a local youth development program and help set up small businesses with the program. (Not medically relevant). I was also a varsity athlete for my university for three years.

As for awards, other than a couple that stand out ( research funding and leadership/volunteer awards), I have the usual scholarships and deans awards that were based on merit.

Hope this helps.
Really solid credentialss!!!! Are you applying to American schools with those stats?

Really solid credentialss!!!! Are you applying to American schools with those stats?
I have applied to a few.
Other than the few “Canadian friendly” US schools, I haven’t considered applying to many. The exchange rate is unfavourable. I also won’t be eligible for the federal loans there and Canadian banks are really tightening their noose on medical students going abroad (for example, my bank asked me to get my parents to take out a second mortgage. Wasn’t comfortable with the idea or the pressure.) The Canadian fenderal loans cover jack. The reason I chose Duke is because of the financing available for international students from Singapore banks. Not sure what the procedure is, but I’m optimistic.

I have also considered DO schools. But again, expense and limited aid for international students.

But, I have applied to all Canadian medical schools, despite my low MCAT which I’m hoping gets overlooked. I hope I can complete my medical education for dirt cheap in Canada but getting in here is apparently nearly impossible. I was waitlisted twice. And rejected from a few other schools.

My hunch is that the adcom is still reviewing the applications of those who just got their MCAT results release today for the August test. So maybe the invites will probably come in the next few days? Getting jittery about waiting for so long and checking my inbox every few hours here haha

Submitted 8/28 completed 8/29. Haven't heard anything back yet... So anxious.
Stat wise: undergrad GPA: 3.34, Grad (in biological science at Johns Hopkins) GPA: 3.79
MCAT: 518
tons of research experience but no publication; 500+ hrs of hospital volunteering; decent shadowing; volunteered in underserved populations; decent leadership and team-based experience; lacking innovation experience tho; internship at pharmaceutical companies.
I wonder what are my chances for early admissions? Is my undergrad GPA too low for their consideration? Literally dying here over anxiety...
Your stats are solid!! I believe your MCAT score would make up for the GPA (but I think it's very gd alr tbh since you're from JHU!). Plus the rest of the portfolio is what they're looking for.. so likely good chances for early admissions!

Reactions: 1 users
My hunch is that the adcom is still reviewing the applications of those who just got their MCAT results release today for the August test. So maybe the invites will probably come in the next few days? Getting jittery about waiting for so long and checking my inbox every few hours here haha
I really hope so. I think there should be a support group for pre-meds like us if we don't hear back soon haha

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi, I applied for MD programme as early acceptance. I am yet to receive any invitations for interview. For those who got the interview invitation, does the status change on myportal online application (from "under review" to something else)? I was organising my mailbox earlier this week and I was just afraid I may have accidentally deleted the email, if I actually received it (which probably won't be the case haha) And if I don't get the invitation by now, does it mean that it is too late to be invited for the 17th Sept applicant date? Will there be chance to get called for later dates? Thanks lots

According to the official interview schedule listed here, the first interview date will be on the 15th Oct. You will only receive the Interview Invite about 10 days before the Applicant Day, which means that the first batch of interviewees will receive theirs probably in the first week of Oct.

All the best for your applications.

Oh does this mean that the 17th Sept date is cancelled? Because when I checked a few weeks ago the first interview date was 17th Sept! Thanks lots for the update :)

Oh does this mean that the 17th Sept date is cancelled? Because when I checked a few weeks ago the first interview date was 17th Sept! Thanks lots for the update :)
Yep just checked with the admissions' office. Confirmed that there won't be any September interviews this year, first one will be on October 15th.

Thanks Enerrior!

Now for more waiting...

Read that “The Applicant Day will have a series of assessments to evaluate the suitability of an applicant for admission into Duke-NUS.” Does anyone know if this series of assessments refers to the SJT + traditional 2 interviewers (1 clinician and 1 researcher) or would they start with MMI this year? :eek:

I just received an interview invite for Applicant's Day! Has anyone else heard back?

Reactions: 2 users
Applied for early admissions but didn't hear anything back. Guess at this point they pretty much straight up rejected me... sigh

See you on 15 Oct.
I just received an interview invite for Applicant's Day! Has anyone else heard back?
Would you mind sharing what did you guys put for the "country of residence" on the application? I am based in the U.S. and I wonder if there is a possibility that they might invite me to the North America interview days later this month...

Would you mind sharing what did you guys put for the "country of residence" on the application? I am based in the U.S. and I wonder if there is a possibility that they might invite me to the North America interview days later this month...

Singapore.

I am based in Vietnam and I think you might be right! North America has later interview dates!

Anyone know what's the difference between those who received the 8.50 am to 5.00 pm and 9.15 pm to 3.00 pm sessions for applicant's day? Referring to the upcoming one on 15th Oct 2018 here.

Last edited:
Anyone know what's the difference between those who received the 8.50 am to 5.00 pm and 9.15 pm to 3.00 pm sessions for applicant's day? Referring to the upcoming one on 18th Oct 2018 here.
I believe you mean 15th Oct 2018.

If I am based in the UK, will they give me interview in at Duke? Can I ask to change the interview date/location to the admissions if I am not available?

Just got invited to the North America Applicant Day on Nov 8th! Beyond excited!

Are you all going to the Nov 8th applicant day?

Anyone know what's the difference between those who received the 8.50 am to 5.00 pm and 9.15 pm to 3.00 pm sessions for applicant's day? Referring to the upcoming one on 15th Oct 2018 here.

I just got an email stating my session had been changed to 8.50am to 5pm. Also there will be 4 rounds of interview. It appears this year will be more stringent.

I just got an email stating my session had been changed to 8.50am to 5pm. Also there will be 4 rounds of interview. It appears this year will be more stringent.

The North American applicants day is two rounds (email we received last night). Wonder why it’s different?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I received the same email, but mine says that there'll be 2 rounds of interview.

Same. I think they might be different for NA vs Singapore applicants?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Haha, I'm Singaporean as well but I got the 2 rounds of interview email, so did my friend. I'm guessing there's a typo somewhere.

Last edited: