2012 Emory Rad Onc Medical Scholars Award

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Hey everyone, the department of Radiation Oncology at Emory has just opened up applications for the medical student research award. It is open to US medical students interested in Radiation Oncology. Please see the attached link. The award is for a $3500 stipend for two months of research at Emory University in the radiation oncology department.

http://www.emoryradiationoncology.org/switch.cfm?action=NewsDetail&NewsID=79

The application deadline is May 1st. Good luck to all!

Members don't see this ad :)
Absolutely. Last year there was a student from UMDNJ, the year before a student from UC Irvine (I think?)

Absolutely. Last year there was a student from UMDNJ, the year before a student from UC Irvine (I think?)

Is it usually 3rd year students, 4th year students or people doing a research year?

I'm doing a rotation at Emory. Any recommendations on finding housing. Where did you stay?

One year ago, I applied to this program at Emory. I started by sending emails to a few faculty members (I think 3-4?) doing research in areas I was interested in. I included my resume, briefly introduced myself, and expressed interest in their research area. Almost every faculty that I wrote to replied within a few days and I had my choice of projects from basic, clinical, and translational. Once I secured a mentor, I wrote and submitted a proposal with his guidance. This was all done by email and several phone calls in a matter of 2 weeks. I was not an Emory medical student – I attend a state medical school almost 1000 miles away.

I enjoyed the research rotation a lot. I went in the Fall when the weather was beautiful. I worked closely with my mentor and had the chance to meet all the residents and faculty while I was there for two months. The residents and faculty are very friendly. You will not be able to formally do any clinical work especially if you want to make progress on the project but I was welcomed by many faculty to spend an afternoon with them in the clinic. I also participated in all the didactics. I managed to accomplish a lot during the two months and I secured remote logins to continue working on the project while away from Emory. The project grew in scope while I was there and I also collaborated with the Physics Department. I will submit an abstract later this year.

btw Atlanta is a great city with a lot of fun things to do on the weekends.