2008-2009 Yale Secondary Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Is there any chance, based on last years threads, etc., that they send decisions in waves?

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
No email! But if they sent the letters out this morning too I should have it tonight or tomorrow and I can let the rest of you know when it was postmarked.

Being rejected/wait listed has gotten easier... Although there's one left that's still gonna hurt like a b*tch.

accepted and super excited. Can't wait for second-look.

Congrats everyone. Did you all receive the e-mail at 9:30am Eastern?

what was the time stamp on the emails?
9:30 am for everyone?

have there been any emails since 9:30 am?

congratulations for everyone!!!!
at this point - i guess im hoping for a waitlist

what was the time stamp on the emails?
9:30 am for everyone?

have there been any emails since 9:30 am?

congratulations for everyone!!!!
at this point - i guess im hoping for a waitlist

Damn, same here. Ah well, not unexpected.

Congrats everyone who did get in!!

Accepted regular MD at 6:31 PST (9:31EST)!

Holy crap I'm so excited right now!!!

Yale came through 1 day early!!!

Okay, I will definitely be at this 2nd look weekend. :D Time to close my "how to be in 3 places at once" thread!

congrats those being accepted!!! although no email makes me die inside a little...

Shemarty,

Does that mean that Yale is your current front-runner? I'm almost certain that I'll be going to Yale, so you should come too! I'll go out into the snow and get you food if you organize class notes the way you did SDN. Deal? Deal.

Members don't see this ad :)
YAY! Also in, and very likely will be coming here in the fall. It will be hard to turn down merit $$ from some other schools, but I LOVED Yale when I interviewed.

congrats yall...no email for me tho:cool: wow, yale....ur going crud even after I spent 6 of the best weeks of my life with u? i c how it is :thumbdown:

Shemarty,

Does that mean that Yale is your current front-runner? I'm almost certain that I'll be going to Yale, so you should come too! I'll go out into the snow and get you food if you organize class notes the way you did SDN. Deal? Deal.

:laugh: That does sound tempting :)

Let me begin by saying that I loooooved Yale. I'm from Stanford, and Yale is often compared to Stanford because they have similar philosophies, etc. I loved it when I interviewed, just from the gut feeling that I got.

My top 2 are UCSF and Yale right now. Commence verbal hemorrhage:

Yale has dorms, which presumably leads to more cohesiveness within the class, and Yale has the undergrad campus nearby and other grad schools, which means the possibility of taking other random classes / meeting more people.

But UCSF is in-state tuition for me. Is Yale worth the price tag?
I know a few people who've gotten significant scholarship offers from Yale in the past. If Yale ends up being less expensive than UCSF, that removes the financial factor.

And on top of that, UCSF is awesome in its own right. I've heard that UCSF stronger clinically. But I was talking to a surgery resident at Stanford about this, and she said "i don't actually believe that the clinical experience in medical school is that important. Wherever you go your clincial experience is dependent on how aggressively you go after it." So...maybe it doesn't matter?

She also told me "SF vs New Haven. SF is clearly a bigger cooler city, but New Haven is older and Yale itself is older with much more history to it. It is so much fun to be on the campus and be a part of the University. Ive always loved New Haven (college town much like palo alto, if east palo alto was stuck inside one section of palo alto) I never understood why people don't like it. But to be fair, the weather is worse, and it is much smaller than SF." I'm not really a big city person anyway, so I don't actually need to be in SF. I'm more worried about the cold/snow/crappy weather.

Also, Yale does not videotape its lectures?!!? This sucks a little bit. I need to find out what they do at UCSF, because I don't remember.

Both schools are P/F in preclinical years. UCSF is H/P/F during clinical years - how does Yale work?

Both schools have opportunities for research, which I intend to continue with. Yale requires the thesis, which doesn't really change anything either way.

There's also the issue of UCSF being a safe/familiar/comfortable choice for me. My parents live 30 min away, I have college friends in the area, and I know a handful of people at UCSF. Yale would be a new experience, in a whole different part of the country. Maybe I need that...or maybe I should just stay where I'm comfortable. Hell, I can't even get a haircut without going with my mom (we always go to this same Chinese salon together, haha!), so maybe it's time for me to move away from the Bay Area, haha.

So, it's probably gonna come down to UCSF vs Yale for me, unless I totally fall in love with UCLA/UCSD, or unless WashU or Michgan offers me a ridiculous scholarship.

I'm so excited for 2nd look weekend!!!

:love:

But UCSF is in-state tuition for me. Is Yale worth the price tag?

Depending on your parent's financial situation, Yale may very well be cheaper.

And on top of that, UCSF is awesome in its own right. I've heard that UCSF stronger clinically. But I was talking to a surgery resident at Stanford about this, and she said "i don't actually believe that the clinical experience in medical school is that important. Wherever you go your clincial experience is dependent on how aggressively you go after it." So...maybe it doesn't matter?

that resident probably went to Stanford Med :p

Ive always loved New Haven (college town much like palo alto, if east palo alto was stuck inside one section of palo alto) I never understood why people don't like it.

hehehehehe.... no comment.

I'm more worried about the cold/snow/crappy weather.

This aspect can actually be quite enjoyable. There is no feeling quite like emerging from the depths of freezing and paleness into the first warm day in March.

Also, Yale does not videotape its lectures?!!? This sucks a little bit.

The students don't seem to be bothered by this at all though, likely because many of them just study almost entirely on their own and find watching lectures, even at 2x recorded, a waste of time.

Both schools are P/F in preclinical years. UCSF is H/P/F during clinical years - how does Yale work?

4 tiers. H/HP/P/F

There's also the issue of UCSF being a safe/familiar/comfortable choice for me. My parents live 30 min away, I have college friends in the area, and I know a handful of people at UCSF. Yale would be a new experience, in a whole different part of the country. Maybe I need that...or maybe I should just stay where I'm comfortable. Hell, I can't even get a haircut without going with my mom (we always go to this same Chinese salon together, haha!), so maybe it's time for me to move away from the Bay Area, haha.

If I were you, I would get away for awhile.

I'm so excited for 2nd look weekend!!!

:love:

Gimme a holler when you're in town, and I can show you MY school :p

I've been in New Haven for just about five years now and I hate the cold. Can't stand it. Never going to like it.

However, I really like New Haven. :) There's lots to do here, and you don't need a car! I don't even have a driver's license. I do most of my shopping within walking distance, and there's a bus to the mall (which has a nice movie theater. But there's a movie theater within walking distance too that has a decent selection. There's also a Trader Joe's along the bus route, and a Sam's Club. And lots of other big stores). The East Rock area and park are gorgeous, especially when the weather's nice. And there's some really good restaurants around.

To top it off, New York is ridiculously close, and you can get there and back for about $22 if you plan ahead and order a metro north 10 trip pass online. It's $28 if you buy your tickets at the station.

I'm not sure why people don't like New Haven so much. Yeah the weather often sucks but it sucks in most of the North East, and definitely throughout New England. It's actually warmer here than where I went to high school, which was further north and inland in Connecticut. And a lot of the med students live close enough to the school and hospital that they're not walking very far all the time anyway.

So yeah, don't let New Haven be why you're not picking Yale, unless you love some other city that much more.

Ooh, and you'll be within walking distance of an Ikea! :D

those who got accepted - until when do you have to tell them if you're going?

Does anyone know if acceptances were sent out over multiple days in previous years?

thanx

Hey guys, for those of you who have not yet received THE EMAIL, is it possible that they will send out the remaining acceptances tomorrow? Otherwise I may fall into a deep yale depression...:scared:
Or maybe I am just in the denial phase...

i didn't get the email either and it seems from what everyone has been writing that there was only ONE email time today at 9:30 AM eastern time

I doubt that Yale would send emails in multiple days... I expected it to be in multiple batches...but I guess that wasn't meant to happen

I actually tried to call the admissions office to ask whether they mailed the letters out today and when I called (i tried a few time) - i got a message saying that the number was disconnected

isn't that weird?

those who got accepted - until when do you have to tell them if you're going?
There will probably be more details when we get the snail mail. I assume it works just like any other school - we give them a refundable deposit to hold our spot until May 15th.

we started podcasting lectures last month, and next year it will be fully implemented in all classes for the first time. and if you ever meet a third year when you get to school here (since we'll be busy on the wards) you can thank us for convincing the administration that podcasts are worthwhile!

i don't think podcasting lectures is such a big deal, personally, but it's here

we started podcasting lectures last month, and next year it will be fully implemented in all classes for the first time. and if you ever meet a third year when you get to school here (since we'll be busy on the wards) you can thank us for convincing the administration that podcasts are worthwhile!

i don't think podcasting lectures is such a big deal, personally, but it's here

Oh thank god. That was one of the most annoying things about Yale, and now it's not a problem!

Hey guys, for those of you who have not yet received THE EMAIL, is it possible that they will send out the remaining acceptances tomorrow? Otherwise I may fall into a deep yale depression...:scared:
Or maybe I am just in the denial phase...

nah dude, not looking good :( hopefully we'll be waitlisted! haha le sigh

accepted!! great surprise coming back from spring break in mexico with no internet access.

i love this place because i could run it like college. i will spend all my time doing all kinds of stuff besides school work and study before the tests. (or should i say the 1 anonymous pass/fail test at the end of each class)

sounds like my kinda school

Podcasts don't include video though, which kind of sucks.

Considering you get the powerpoint slides for about 90% of the lectures, and notes from the rest, you aren't missing much from video.

Plus since it is pass/fail the first two years, the only reason to go to lecture is because you think you can learn better from someone explaining it to you than you can from a book or online. At schools where you are going to be tested on the random details of the professors research, or something that the prof says off hand to hose the people who aren't in class then you need to see every minute of every lecture. But at Yale that isn't how it works.

The podcasts are a nice idea and some people may really like them, but as a third year at Yale I really didn't notice that the lectures weren't on tape.

Accepted! :woot: Now it's between HMS and YSM...wish I knew what to do. :)

Rejected. But it didn't really hurt this time, so that's good. Still, a wait list would have been nice. Ah well. At least it cost me nothing to go interview. :)

Letter seems to have been sent regular mail, postmarked 3/19. Much better written than the Columbia rejection.

Waitlisted. Seems to be the theme this week for me. Anyone know anything about how the waitlist at Yale is working?

Rejected, oh well. I guess its time to say good bye to this thread.

does anyone know how many ppl usually get waitlisted and how much the wl usually moves?

Waitlist. Boston area. Dated March 20th.

Any helpful yalies want to weigh in on what we can do to indicate our continued interest in Yale?

pre-interview rejection letter received... good bye Yale thread.. I knew the rejection was coming (obviously lol).

is anybody else concerned that they'd do absolutely nothing because there are no grades?

is anybody else concerned that they'd do absolutely nothing because there are no grades?

When I interviewed the students were still studying hard for their optional self-assessment.

I'm more worried that I wont be sure whether or not I'm studying the right stuff, since it's so self-directed.

Hey everyone - remember to post in the acceptance thread if you were accepted!
The data can be really helpful for next year's applicants.

I'm more worried that I wont be sure whether or not I'm studying the right stuff, since it's so self-directed.

It's tough but the truth it is great preperation for the rest of your career. When you are on the wards people aren't going to tell you "you really don't understand fluid managment as well as you should." When you are an attending no one is going to say that you need to work on your ortho exam skills.

The rest of your career you need to identify weaknesses in your knowledge and skills and figure out how to best learn that material.

So it's good to start that from the beginning.

And the truth is you aren't on your own. You can read the suggested books, check the guide put out by the second year students, go to the review sessions to second years hold, talk to the prof, etc.

The real self direction comes from when you say "I don't like how they are teaching derm, I'm going to do it my own way by not going to class, picking my own book, etc."

That being said if you are someone who thinks "there is no way I'll be able to study if I know that the test isn't for three months," it would be pretty tough here.

WL 3/20. recieved today. i loved you so much yale. we really had some good times together. but i can't accept your wl offer. :(

congrats 2 those who were accepted!

WL here too. Probably won't accept the spot. I'd rather go to Columbia :)

rejection, well it makes the decision easier at least...

Waitlist letter received today in mailbox! I was rather thrilled when I looked into the envelope to see a faint indication of another stamped envelope inside, and the whole thing slightly thicker to the grasp.

Does anyone have any advice as to whether it would be valuable to send a personal letter of interest back ALONG with this waitlist reply form, or to send such a letter separately? Thanks!

Congratulations to all accepted & also us waitlisted applicants; it could look promising for the latter, judging by how their WL sounded! :thumbup:

Unceremoniously rejected, what a terrible month.

Status
Not open for further replies.