2008-2009 University of Washington Secondary Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
just checked my status page, looks like a rejection for me, updated this morning "Action was taken on your application 3/26/2009. You should receive a letter from our office by 4/2/2009." :( Good luck to all still waiting!

don't feel bad RJones7, I checked my status twice on Tuesday a.m. and within the space of an hour it had gone from "app. complete" to "action taken...receive a letter...blah blah"... which says to me that they kicked me to the curb within the first hour of the first day of the final meeting. ouch! I had a very late interview and a crap mcat score, so I'm unsurprised, however I can't figure out 1) why bother to interview me? and 2) why my head interviewer told me afterward that it had gone well... anyhow, good luck to everyone, whether it's this year or next year!

as for notification, I was at my interview within the last two weeks and heard someone at the front desk tell another interviewee that acceptances come by email and rejections and waitlist notifications by postal mail

Members don't see this ad.

just putting it out there,
if your status page says "action taken on XXXX, recieve a letter by XXX"
if the date that it says that 'action was taken' was prior to the final meetings (the 24th), there's a good chance that its a computer error. as I called the admissions office a few days back, before the meetings, and they said they were having difficulties with the computers and stuff.
As of right now, it seems the best way to get your status is to call them directly.

I suppose the acceptances should come out by tomorrow.

So I called today to check my status, and the helpful lady at the desk said that all acceptances were called yesterday, and waitlists and rejections should be going out today through next week, and if you want to know your status call back on Monday. Essentially if you haven't heard yet, expect a waitlist or rejection. Great way to start a weekend :(

Members don't see this ad :)
yeah i had one of those funky date status updates too-- the date was before my interview! lol... well congrats to all of you who go calls yesterday!! honestly my hope are pretty much nill for the waitlist. Is there even any movement on the thing?

yeah i had one of those funky date status updates too-- the date was before my interview! lol... well congrats to all of you who go calls yesterday!! honestly my hope are pretty much nill for the waitlist. Is there even any movement on the thing?

I got this info. from last year's post. Not sure how many they took last year. As you can see there is some movement. Here's to hoping of being ranked 30 or below on the waitlist. :xf:

class size- year:
216- 2008
196- 2007
181-2006
180- 2005

number from wait list- year:
34- 2007
40- 2006
29- 2005
31- 2004
39- 2003

Was that financial aid email sent to everyone this morning? If so, it's kind of harsh to send the day after the final meeting it to people who were rejected.

Was that financial aid email sent to everyone this morning? If so, it's kind of harsh to send the day after the final meeting it to people who were rejected.

I didn't get the email...maybe it was only sent to those on the waitlist. If you get ranked high enough there is still a good chance of being accepted.

Keep hope alive!!!

wow, there are way fewer people freaking out this year compared with last years threads. we must have a lot of lurkers!

but seriously, good luck to everyone. the waitlist movement last year was decent (in the 30's) so don't lose hope!!!:luck::luck:

I didn't get the email...maybe it was only sent to those on the waitlist. If you get ranked high enough there is still a good chance of being accepted.

Keep hope alive!!!

I'm riding the hope roller coaster!

Waitlist.. low 30s, ouch.

Oooh...sitting right at the edge..you have a chance though :)

How did you find out? Did you call for your status or did you get it through snail mail? Thanks!!! Just wondering if waitlist letters have gone out yet!

Also in the low 30's - found out from an email sent earlier today. Here's to waiting and hoping for the next few months...

waitlist for me too, under 15 so I'm keeping my spirits up!

i got that status update yesterday ("action taken 3/26/09, letter by 4/2/09") and thought it was a straight rejection for me, but got an email this morning with the waitlist news.

good luck to everyone still waiting.

Members don't see this ad :)
From what I have been reading here, under 15 seems like very good odds! Hope you get in.

Last year, my second year applying for med schools, I only got as far as five waitlists, and was #49 on the UW list.

I got into UW this year. (year three of this hellacious process)

But it reminds me of a riddle I once read...

What do you call someone who applied to medical school for three years before getting in?

A doctor.

To all you brilliant and passionate hopefuls, keep fighting the fight!

HI everyone, I've been checking out the posts for a bit and decided to enter in on the discussion. Congrats to everyone who is in, or below 20 on the list! I am unlucky #47 and it sounds like I would need some decent luck to get in. I'll ride the hope rollercoster for now:).

Last year, my second year applying for med schools, I only got as far as five waitlists, and was #49 on the UW list.

What do you call someone who applied to medical school for three years before getting in?

A doctor.

HI cpt-mcdoogle I would love to find out how the process went for you over three applications. Last year I was on the non-ranked alt-list and ranked 47 this year. I will definitely re-apply for a third time. Any advice would be much appreciated.

A doctor.

congrats on making it in this year! this is my second year applying and i'm on four waitlists. it's good to know that perseverance can pay off!

A doctor.

Hi cpt,
When you were waitlisted at UW last year do you know how far on the ranked list they went? Past threads insinuate that everyone from the ranked list was eventually accepted and that a couple from the unranked wait list were accepted. Does anyone know how big the ranked list is? I got the e-mail this weekend informing me that I am in the low 40s on the ranked list and to e-mail back within two weeks to let them know if I accept this position. Well, what if people have been accepted elsewhere and decline the alternate position? Do they issue you a new number? Because theoretically, your position on the waitlist could improve if people ahead of you decline. I am hopeful! Has anyone called the office and discovered any details about the process yet? Any info would be very appreciated!

Hi cpt,
When you were waitlisted at UW last year do you know how far on the ranked list they went? Past threads insinuate that everyone from the ranked list was eventually accepted and that a couple from the unranked wait list were accepted. Does anyone know how big the ranked list is? I got the e-mail this weekend informing me that I am in the low 40s on the ranked list and to e-mail back within two weeks to let them know if I accept this position. Well, what if people have been accepted elsewhere and decline the alternate position? Do they issue you a new number? Because theoretically, your position on the waitlist could improve if people ahead of you decline. I am hopeful! Has anyone called the office and discovered any details about the process yet? Any info would be very appreciated!

from reading last year's thead it looks like they got up to at least #34 on the waitlist and that a few people who were on the waitlist did end up withdrawing their applications. i think you can call admissions to find out where you stand number wise, but i don't think they send you a new number every time someone is taken off the waitlist. there is a post somewhere on the previous page of this thread that gives the number of waitlist acceptances in the past few years, no info for last year though.

from reading last year's thead it looks like they got up to at least #34 on the waitlist and that a few people who were on the waitlist did end up withdrawing their applications. i think you can call admissions to find out where you stand number wise, but i don't think they send you a new number every time someone is taken off the waitlist. there is a post somewhere on the previous page of this thread that gives the number of waitlist acceptances in the past few years, no info for last year though.

This list is from the admin office:

2008: 32
2007: 34
2006: 40
2005: 29
2004: 31
2003: 39
2002: 33
2001: 47
2000: 33

If people withdraw you just move up in rank... as far as I know.

This list is from the admin office:

2008: 32
2007: 34
2006: 40
2005: 29
2004: 31
2003: 39
2002: 33
2001: 47
2000: 33

If people withdraw you just move up in rank... as far as I know.

Did you happen to ask what the class size is for this year? Is it the same as last year or bigger/smaller?

whoa... so none of the hard core forum posters made the waitlist?!
nina is out, doc henry accepted, what about you frannie?

I usually don't care but it's just been so long since you guys first joined the thread and kept it alive practically that I kind of want to know how you fared....

whoa... so none of the hard core forum posters made the waitlist?!
nina is out, doc henry accepted, what about you frannie?

I usually don't care but it's just been so long since you guys first joined the thread and kept it alive practically that I kind of want to know how you fared....

:laugh: I never thought I would be a "hard core SDN poster". Man I need to stop checking this thread!! It's just a habit now...haha. Maybe Frannie is on vacation?? Hopefully she got good news!

:laugh: I never thought I would be a "hard core SDN poster". Man I need to stop checking this thread!! It's just a habit now...haha. Maybe Frannie is on vacation?? Hopefully she got good news!

Hey guys...nope unfortunately I'm neither on vacation nor have I received good news :D No emails = rejected or unranked waitlist for me, and I'm too scared to call, so I'm just waiting for the letter at this point :scared: It's okay, I was probably going to Cleveland Clinic anyway :laugh::love:, though I can't seem to stop stalking this thread!! :)

Hey guys...nope unfortunately I'm neither on vacation nor have I received good news :D No emails = rejected or unranked waitlist for me, and I'm too scared to call, so I'm just waiting for the letter at this point :scared: It's okay, I was probably going to Cleveland Clinic anyway :laugh::love:, though I can't seem to stop stalking this thread!! :)

Haha wow, I'm in the same position! :laugh: I keep on stalking this thread, though I don't have any e-mails yet... seems like a rejection/waitlist for me as well. I've already sent in my OHSU acceptance so I guess that's where I'm going now.

Haha wow, I'm in the same position! :laugh: I keep on stalking this thread, though I don't have any e-mails yet... seems like a rejection/waitlist for me as well. I've already sent in my OHSU acceptance so I guess that's where I'm going now.

Oh no guys!! Well I'm glad you both have great options :)

Received the official rejection letter yesterday, although knew it was coming due to the lack of a phone call or email in the past week. Particularly enjoyed the section of the letter listing the reason why I was not accepted...more infuriating than helpful. Anyway, congrats to those of you who were accepted and good luck to all contributors of this thread.

Received the official rejection letter yesterday, although knew it was coming due to the lack of a phone call or email in the past week. Particularly enjoyed the section of the letter listing the reason why I was not accepted...more infuriating than helpful. Anyway, congrats to those of you who were accepted and good luck to all contributors of this thread.

Wow...how uhm.. specific/detailed were the reasons written in the rejection letter? The admissions process for UW seems pretty intimidating... :confused:

Wow...how uhm.. specific/detailed were the reasons written in the rejection letter? The admissions process for UW seems pretty intimidating... :confused:

They are probably pre-set comments for a particular weakness (i.e. medical experience, life experience, grasp of healthcare issues etc.). Likely helpful for those applicants to whom they truly apply. Frustrating for someone whose 3 years as an ER volunteer, 2 medical service trips to a 3rd world country and physician shadowing resulted in "lack of experience in the medical field" as the reason they were rejected. Would have just preferred the typical "too many competitive applicants to accept all qualified individuals." Just bitter I guess.

Oh well, UW is a great school...time to move on.

They are probably pre-set comments for a particular weakness (i.e. medical experience, life experience, grasp of healthcare issues etc.). Likely helpful for those applicants to whom they truly apply. Frustrating for someone whose 3 years as an ER volunteer, 2 medical service trips to a 3rd world country and physician shadowing resulted in "lack of experience in the medical field" as the reason they were rejected. Would have just preferred the typical "too many competitive applicants to accept all qualified individuals." Just bitter I guess.

Oh well, UW is a great school...time to move on.

sorry to hear that, it looks like you have a ton of great medical experiences! hopefully you'll have another school to go to next year, have you heard from anywhere else yet?

UW School of Medicine Admissions Dean, Dr. Carol Teitz, will dedicate 3 hours to talking with premedical students in May about different components of the premed application.

She has invited all premedical students interested in receiving advice and tips how to best augment their applications in highlighting your personal strengths to convey why you're the undergraduate candidate medical admissions commitee should select.

Below are the dates and times for the Focus Group Sessions

All sessions will be in Hogness Auditorium (A-420) of the Health Sciences Building and will only be offered at the dates/times below:

Monday, May 11th: Preparing Your Application (5:00-6:00PM)
Topics will include experiences, personal statement, academics and MCAT scores.

Wednesday, May 13th: Why Medicine? (5:00-6:00PM)
Topics will include personal statement, more about experiences, knowledge of the practice of medicine, societal issues, and ethical issues.

Monday, May 18th: The Interview (5:00-6:00PM)
Topics will include communication skills, life experiences, more about ethics, self-assessment skills, and approaches to problem solving.

The Focus Group Sessions will be in a town hall format and seating will begin at 4:45PM. Please contact Stella Yee ([email protected]) to RSVP for any/all of the sessions. The deadline to RSVP is Tuesday, May 5, 2009.

hey have any of you waitlisters called the admissions office this week? i tried calling today but could not get a real person (except the front desk person who couldn't answer my questions).

i'm wondering if they've started accepting off the waitlist yet? or is it too early to ask?

hey have any of you waitlisters called the admissions office this week? i tried calling today but could not get a real person (except the front desk person who couldn't answer my questions).

i'm wondering if they've started accepting off the waitlist yet? or is it too early to ask?
I have yet to call them, I think I might by the end of next week. (I'm below #20) From last year's thread, it looks like they got through approximately the 30s on the wait list by the end of May. Depending on your position on the wait list, I would guess you would hear before then or around that time.

Tom Petty was right: the waiting is the hardest part...

Edit later that day: On closer inspection of last year's thread, someone seemed to think that there were separate alternate lists for each WWAMI site as well as an alternate list for people from out of region. Does anyone know if the data from previous years are totals or from a specific WWAMI site or if this business about separate alternate lists is true?

Edit Today: So I just called the admissions office and they had the following information:

1. There is one ranked alternate list for Washington and out of region people

2. They have had three people withdraw their offer of admission so far.

Hope that helps the wait list folks!

Last edited:
I have yet to call them, I think I might by the end of next week. (I'm below #20) From last year's thread, it looks like they got through approximately the 30s on the wait list by the end of May. Depending on your position on the wait list, I would guess you would hear before then or around that time.

Tom Petty was right: the waiting is the hardest part...

Edit later that day: On closer inspection of last year's thread, someone seemed to think that there were separate alternate lists for each WWAMI site as well as an alternate list for people from out of region. Does anyone know if the data from previous years are totals or from a specific WWAMI site or if this business about separate alternate lists is true?

Edit Today: So I just called the admissions office and they had the following information:

1. There is one ranked alternate list for Washington and out of region people

2. They have had three people withdraw their offer of admission so far.

Hope that helps the wait list folks!

it gives me hope to know 3 people have already withdrawn and we are only into the second week of april! :xf: i was planning on calling them again this week for more info, i'll be sure to post whatever i learn.

Has anyone asked the admissions office whether anyone has dropped from the wait list?

hey guys,

so i was originally in the mid-30s the waitlist. i hear 3 people have declined...does that move us all up 3 places?
i'm thinking of deferring because the lady at admissions said that i wouldn't know whether i got in until july...and i would like to figure my life out before that...what do you all think?

good luck to everyone out there...

I just called the Admissions Office and spoke with Stella. As of today, Monday April 13th they have accepted 3 people off the wait list. I asked her a few questions and found out that they only offer the exact number of acceptances as seats they have. I also asked if everyone 'accepted' their alternate position and she said 2 declined. However, the 2 that declined were numbers 49 and 50 so not much help to me. I asked her how many people they took off the wait list in the past and here were the numbers she quoted:

2008- 32
2007- 34
2006- 40
2001- 47

Maybe someone else can call the office later this week to see if there was anymore movement and then post their findings?

I just called the Admissions Office and spoke with Stella. As of today, Monday April 13th they have accepted 3 people off the wait list. I asked her a few questions and found out that they only offer the exact number of acceptances as seats they have. I also asked if everyone 'accepted' their alternate position and she said 2 declined. However, the 2 that declined were numbers 49 and 50 so not much help to me. I asked her how many people they took off the wait list in the past and here were the numbers she quoted:

2008- 32
2007- 34
2006- 40
2001- 47

Maybe someone else can call the office later this week to see if there was anymore movement and then post their findings?

hey thanks for the info! what number have you been calling? i just call the admissions office at 206-543-7212 but i always get admissions voicemail. should we be calling another line or person in particular?

Status
Not open for further replies.