2008-2009 University of Minnesota Duluth Secondary Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Green Grass

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Thought I would fire up a thread for those of us applying to UMD. Feel free to post about anything relating to the school here. I know the secondary is available now, anyone currently working on it?

Members don't see this ad.

i'm working on it !!!! trying to, at least. 12 essays are bogging me down quite a bit, especially with all the other applications i have to do ! ahhh ! but hopefully ill be finishing up soon !

Members don't see this ad :)
i'm an OOSer, with very strong minnesota ties, so i have to do really well on them...

Yeah, OOS applicants generally have a difficult time getting into Duluth. But I'm sure if your ties to MN are compelling enough, they'd take a shot on you. I'm sure you'll do great.

THANKS! you too !! good luck :) for the Letters of Rec, can it just be anyone ? I am reading the packet but I am can't seem to find where it says if they want science professors, non science, etc. I am however, severely jetlagged so i could just be missing this !!

I don't think they have set standards that we have to meet regarding the LOR. However, I would include at least 1, if not 2, from professors. What are you jetlagged from?

i'm working on it !!!! trying to, at least. 12 essays are bogging me down quite a bit, especially with all the other applications i have to do ! ahhh ! but hopefully ill be finishing up soon !

Yeah, it's pretty annoying. I can't believe how many Qs there are! Actually the 800 char limit per answer makes it harder for me to express my point. There's just not enough room to do anything with it except make like one pt giving one example. At least, I can't find a way to make anything else fit.

How are you formatting the essays? Do you guys think a bulleted format will be ok?

Also, I am so tempted to write "I don't have a clue about American Indian rural villages". I grew up, went to school in and lived in small towns but never really dealt with native indians. Is this a big drawback?

Members don't see this ad :)
Also, I am so tempted to write "I don't have a clue about American Indian rural villages". I grew up, went to school in and lived in small towns but never really dealt with native indians. Is this a big drawback?

Obviously they would rather you did, but it's not a dealbreaker either.

Anyone know anything about the Twin Cities secondary?

Anyone know anything about the Twin Cities secondary?

They were considerably behind Duluth last year as well. Although I did notice that on Interfolio, they have made themselves available for electronic delivery of LOR recently. I would expect the secondary should be on its way very soon.

I'm going to ask a mod to edit your title so that it matches the format of the rest of the threads. If you start any other secondary application threads, please use the format "2008-2009 xxx Secondary Application Thread"

Thanks!
Shemarty

I'm going to ask a mod to edit your title so that it matches the format of the rest of the threads. If you start any other secondary application threads, please use the format "2008-2009 xxx Secondary Application Thread"

Thanks!
Shemarty

sorry shemarty, whatever was I thinking...:rolleyes:

ya im a MN resident too... amcas was verified on 6/6 and since have completed UM-D secondary but havent heard anything from UM-TC, my top school. anyone heard anything from TC???

:)Hurray for family practice in rural Minnesota!!!!:)

How important is it to get a LOR from a rural/family practice physician? I don't have one an I am wondering if it would hurt my chances.

I already sent this secondary out. Has any one else sent it?

How important is it to get a LOR from a rural/family practice physician? I don't have one an I am wondering if it would hurt my chances.

I'm not sure if it is important or not.

And yes, a few of us on SDN have sent it in. Good luck.

Hey, I already sent my application out and I do not have an LOR from a rural familiy practice physician but I am from a rural area and have worked in rural healthcare for a while...don't know if that helps.

I called them this morning and they said my application is ready for review. They won't get my MCAT scores till the 11/12th though...

DocM13, we appear to have quite a bit in common. good luck with the interview trail this year.

Hey that's awesome! You're from rural MN I take it then...Good luck to you too, and maybe see you at Duluth in 2009!

unsung:
Submitted: 8/13, Letters rec'd: ?, Complete: ?, Interview Invite: ?, Interview Date: ?

Thought I'd start things off. Quote & add yourself... you know the works.

Just submitted secondary today! Also mailed out $75 fee & ordered LORs sent electronically from Interfolio.

My MCAT scores get released 8/17 (or 8/19 at the latest I think), so I THINK I'll be complete by that date. :luck:

Hey anyone alive out there? Did you guys receive an e-mail notifying you when you were complete? Just wondering. I logged into the secondary portal and it says my fee's been paid & it also says "interfolio okay"... so I'm not sure whether that means I'm complete or what. I assume all my AMCAS info has been released to them and received just fine... so there's no notification when you're complete, right?

Has anyone interviewed yet? I called Duluth on Monday and the lady said I was in review right now. Hopefully I hear something soon

Hey anyone alive out there? Did you guys receive an e-mail notifying you when you were complete? Just wondering. I logged into the secondary portal and it says my fee's been paid & it also says "interfolio okay"... so I'm not sure whether that means I'm complete or what. I assume all my AMCAS info has been released to them and received just fine... so there's no notification when you're complete, right?

My says fee received and "We have received letters of evaluation from the following:
HPAC (also lists the individual letter writer and date)"

I assume that means complete. From what I have heard the minnesota schools dont start interviewing until later than a lot of other schools so I guess I'll just wait...

I called Duluth on Friday to ask if my file was complete and they said that it was and that it was in line for review. There is no confirmation email sent out stating whether or not all of your materials have been received. Good luck to all, and here's to hoping for an interview!

I got an interview to duluth today! November 10th! Yay!

I got the post-secondary BOOMHEADSHOT by email today.

I got the post-secondary BOOMHEADSHOT by email today.

Good way to put it... I also did not meet the mission... BTW premediowa, maybe if you improve your mcat and gpa you could apply again..

anyone know how important it is to have ties to a rural or native american community? im a resident and im really interested in primary care but i dont have an official ties........

also-- apparently there isn't a thread for the twin cities medical school............. did anyone else apply there too? i got all my stuff in long before the Oct 15 deadline but it took them forever to process my letters so they didn't get it complete until after the 15th. does anyone know if they are going to keep processing apps or if they hold off and figure out the first round and then start again in january? thanks!

Last edited:
anyone know how important it is to have ties to a rural or native american community? im a resident and im really interested in primary care but i dont have an official ties........

also-- apparently there isn't a thread for the twin cities medical school............. did anyone else apply there too? i got all my stuff in long before the Oct 15 deadline but it took them forever to process my letters so they didn't get it complete until after the 15th. does anyone know if they are going to keep processing apps or if they hold off and figure out the first round and then start again in january? thanks!

Well as you can see from the above post I didnt meet the mission yet I am a resident and want to do primary care.. It was probably my lack of rural/indian experience. My stats are decent (3.95, 33), but it doesnt hurt to give it a try i guess.

Twin cities: from what I understand you have to interview before nov 15th to be in the 1st wave.
http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=555556

anyone know if they send complete emails or what? the webpage has said they received my letters and payment ages ago....

how long did it take for them to get back to people..?

anyone know if they send complete emails or what? the webpage has said they received my letters and payment ages ago....

how long did it take for them to get back to people..?

They do not send out anything saying that you are complete. If you have everything sent in, do not worry. If they want to interview you, they will reach you via phone. Hope that helps!

hi everyone,

I'm a new member but have been scanning the site for a few months now. This thread has been silent for quite some time so I thought I would post....

I have an interview coming up here in the next couple weeks. I have looked at the interview feedback page and there is little feedback from this year..... I was just wondering if anyone interviewed lately? How it went? and if anyone has been accepted recently?

I interviewed in Oct. (I think) and got accepted about two weeks later. I really think it is an excellent school. The only thing I did't like is that you don't stay all 4 years in Duluth.

My interview day was just fine. I had very friendly tour guides that really seemed to love the school. With that being said, one of my interview sessions was probably the strangest experiences of my life. I won't give you the name of the person I interviewed with but you will know who I am talking about if you get him/her. This person was really out there and asked crazy questions...I pretty much laughed at him/her the entire time. Just play along, keep your cool, carry on a decent conversation, and you will be fine. My other interview was pretty normal. Good luck!

thanks rjf!

I'll be on the lookout for this "him/her".

Are you going to be attending in the fall?

congrats!!

fyi for anyone else. They have filled 45 out of 60 spots already this year. and any interviews following today (jan 23) will be for a waitlist spot, as they dont want to accept anyone else until ALL interviews are over for the season. This is what the admissions office told me.

does anyone know anything about the highest priority acceptance pool?

I know this is not an app question, but...

Are there any current Univ of Minnesota Duluth students that have had the Gastro-Intestinal Physiology course taught by Dr. L. H.? Just wondering if anyone can give me some info on how she lectures etc. If so please post here or even better PM me. Thanks!

I do not go to UMD currently, but if you need information of professors the best sites I have found are pickaprof.com or ratemyprofessor.com and just look up that specific professor, hope it helps!

Status
Not open for further replies.