This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Stone Cold

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am currently a PICU fellow and loving my anesthesia rotations. I plan on pursuing another fellowship in anesthesia and heard some programs and large academic centers like Johns Hopkins allow PICU trained fellows to pursue a 2 year anesthesia fellowship

While I'm yet to talk to my attendings, does any one have more information on how to pursue this route, what programs typically offer such type of fellowship, and can we operate in the ORs' similar to a peds fellowship trained anesthesiologist or would our time be spent mostly in the PICU?

I'm also interested in knowing about the opportunities, employment types (PP vs hospital vs academic) given the saturation in most peds sub-specialties

Members don't see this ad.

Hopkins and CHOP have historically been the places that did dual PCCM/Anesthesia training. You probably could do an anesthesia residency (which would be 3 years) and have the program gear it towards peds. That would be another route I presume. Frankly though, most PCCM fellowships aren’t going to have common knowledge of that pathway because they are rare and atypical.

I would actually suggest reaching out to Hopkins and ask them and what options exist outside their program, because they would know best.

Yes, Hopkins and CHOP both have a 5 year combined PICU & Anesthesia fellowship and the program can be tailored to ensure fellows are board certified in both anesthesiology and PICU but doesn't specify if that'll allow practicing only peds cases or general too

A couple of folks in my program said there are other programs which can potentially offer a 2 year anesthesiology fellowship including CHOP & Hopkins post completion of PICU but I wanted to ensure this route allows me to get board certified in anesthesiology

Do you happen to know if pursuing a 3 year anesthesia residency is recognized the same as someone directly pursuing the anesthesiology residency route post graduating from med school?
I know know for certain but the PGY1 year (ie the intern year) of anesthesia is just a preliminary year. You’ve already far exceeded that experience.