This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

dentalmicrobio

Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Hello, I'm applying this coming cycle and I'm a little worried my school list is too small. (UCSF, UCLA, USC, Western, UoP, Columbia, UPENN) that's about it. I'm a California resident and frankly would like to remain (unless I get into IVY with the HSPS or NHSC scholarship hopefully). I'm applying to too many expensive schools, but I hope I can get the HSPS or NHSC scholarship. I would prefer to not take the Casper (limits school list) and I also have 70 community college units (limits school list). I also did not take my anatomy with lab or physiology at all (limiting school list). I also took public health micro bio which doesn't come with a lab. Does anyone know other schools out there I can apply to? (I have two C+ and about 3/4 B's, GPA CC + Undergrad is about 3.77, science about 3.7, and BCP about 3.65). I have not taken the DAT yet but hopefully, I can pull through with a 20 AA. I have a great EC list and 4/5 strong letter of recs (the 5th will be sent separately to schools requiring 3 science professors, this is the mid one).
Hard to give you any info without more info from you and also without a DAT score. FYI, a 20AA is not going to get you very far as that is below the national avg (closer to 21AA) and below the averages of basically all the schools you listed except for USC and Western. Fill out the template but you really need a DAT score in order for us to help in any way.

Reactions: 1 user
Hello, I'm applying this coming cycle and I'm a little worried my school list is too small. (UCSF, UCLA, USC, Western, UoP, Columbia, UPENN) that's about it. I'm a California resident and frankly would like to remain (unless I get into IVY with the HSPS or NHSC scholarship hopefully). I'm applying to too many expensive schools, but I hope I can get the HSPS or NHSC scholarship. I would prefer to not take the Casper (limits school list) and I also have 70 community college units (limits school list). I also did not take my anatomy with lab or physiology at all (limiting school list). I also took public health micro bio which doesn't come with a lab. Does anyone know other schools out there I can apply to? (I have two C+ and about 3/4 B's, GPA CC + Undergrad is about 3.77, science about 3.7, and BCP about 3.65). I have not taken the DAT yet but hopefully, I can pull through with a 20 AA. I have a great EC list and 4/5 strong letter of recs (the 5th will be sent separately to schools requiring 3 science professors, this is the mid one).
yes, your list is way too small- 5 of the 10-12 most difficult to get into schools in the country and 2 safeties is not enough...
and 20 on DAT is not going to help...

Wouldn't recommend the current list if you are aiming for a 20AA. Like the folks above have said, your list is 1. too small, and 2. too ambitious with having some of the hardest/most selective schools in the country. You would want to be closer to 22 or 23AA for that list.

UCLA, UCSF, Columbia, Penn, and UoP are all highly competitive schools. Your GPA is about in range for them, but you really need to hone in and demolish the DAT if you want to be competitive with all of them.

Should you get ~20AA, your list should be around 9-12 schools at the very least. Being in CA helps since you have a lot of schools close to you. I would look into ASDOH, UNLV, Roseman, and OHSU. Keep Western and USC. If you should choose to apply to UoP, UCLA, UCSF, Columbia, and Penn, be prepared to also apply to the other schools, Western, USC, Roseman, OHSU, and ASDOH as backups. Creighton or Midwestern-AZ could also be included.

Also keep in mind that the "backup" schools get a lot of applicants. Just be sure to formulate a good list. I, personally, would remove Columbia and Penn if trying to save money since you are on the opposite side of the country and already have 3 top 15 schools in your own state that you'd be more likely to pick from should you get accepted due to cost and closeness to home. Also, the Casper exam really isn't something you should worry too much about. If you really want to apply to schools that require it, then just take it. It takes an hour, maybe hour and a half, and if you've worked in retail/or a job or have worked in groups in school, you can do relatively well on the exam. It really requires no studying, and almost is impossible to do anyways.

Generating a good school list is almost as important as other parts of the app. You want to make sure you would be a good fit for the school! "prestige" matters less in dentistry compared to medicine or other fields, all schools prepare you the same, and you have the same degree at the end of the day. You also can specialize from any school. Minimizing your debt load and being close to your support system should be factored into your school list.

Good luck this cycle!

Status
Not open for further replies.