This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Hi everyone! I posted a bit about this a long time ago but now I have a bit of a clearer picture financially of the situation. I was lucky enough to be accepted to several schools, and have really narrowed it down to these two. Cornell is the only OOS school I think I would consider over my IS because of its prestige and opportunities, and I’m not gonna lie I’m a bit enamored by the named. However, the overall COA difference is about 80k, and looking at VIN U of A seems much more feasible I could pay off my loans sooner. I’m really interested in going into small animal and then maybe one day pursuing a zoo residency/internship after practicing for several years and paying off some of my loans.

Some of the biggest pros for U of A:
-NAVLE prep block during clinical rotations
-Close to home
-Financially the best
-No tracking
-Graduate in 3 years and start working sooner
-I like their systems based approach for their curriculum

Some of the biggest cons:
-Only has provisional accreditation (but as long as I pass the NAVLE it doesn’t matter what happens after the next review)
-No teaching hospital on campus
-Shorter breaks because it is accelerated (cont really do summer internships or work)
-Hot summers

For Cornell:
Pros:
-The name and it’s established connections/opportunities
-Teaching hospital on campus (where you can also work)
-Opportunity to do almost all clinical rotations there
-Longer breaks
Cons:
-Much more expensive
-Far from home, not really a straightforward/easy way to travel
-Graduate in 4 years
-Really cold winters

If anyone has any thoughts/info/insight I would really appreciate it! I’m trying to make a decision this weekend because at this point I can’t take the stress anymore lol, the more I think about it and go back around in circles the more my anxiety starts to build up!
Which did you choose? Definitely a hard choice!

I ended up choosing U of A…still not feeling confident in my decision unfortunately and pretty stressed out about it, but I know I would’ve ended up being stressed about either choice! I’m trying really hard to focus on school and making the most out of it and reminding myself that in three years I will have a DVM and be in less debt. Also trying to tell myself that right now it seems like vet school and being a vet is everything BUT there’s more to life than just work and choosing a cheaper option will help me have that life :)
As a vet I had these major financial situations occur within the last two months (in order): started kitchen remodel (62k), transmission in my car went out (4800 to replace; did not do so and borrowing a car from my parents), dog tore her CCL (3k with the professional discount), squirrel infestation (1700), all on top of regular bills (mortgage is 2200, health insurance is 550, etc).

I cannot describe how thankful I am my loans are not what they were supposed to be in cost. I wouldn't be able to do a lot of this since my husband's take home is $100/day. I promise you having the smaller loans will be worth it in the end.

• Care
Reactions: 1 users
Also just want to add it’s funny because I was just having a moment doubting myself where I was wondering if it actually would’ve mattered if I had chosen a more expensive option because if IBR and whatnot, so it was perfect timing for me to open this and see this response!
There's certainly advantages to the IBR system and simply saving for the tax bomb in 20-25 years. However, that's *a lot* of time for things to change financially from a personal and government perspective. if you don't need to take that risk, no sense in doing so!

Reactions: 1 users
Status
Not open for further replies.