MD & DO .

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

nontrad3567

Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Hi! I’m a nontrad who went to a T20 undergrad (Ivy) and a T20 grad school. I’ve worked in clinical research for the past 3 years. I have ~ 9000 hrs total in either direct patient care or shadowing/clinical and a lot of diverse ECs/great LORs. I have a strong upward trend but started out kinda rough.
My stats are below:
Undergrad: cGPA = 3.14, sGPA = 2.95
Grad cGPA = 3.33
MCAT: 517

I have a D+ (bio) and 3 C-'s (gen chem + orgo). I’ve seen on here that it’s beneficial to retake pre-req courses below a C so I was wondering if it would be advisable to retake the 3 classes at a local university before applying next cycle? I have taken a lot of upper level bio that I’ve excelled in so I’m assuming I don’t need to retake the one intro bio. Retaking the 3 chem courses could potentially put me above a 3.0 sGPA.

I am interested in any medical school (DO or MD) and greatly appreciate your constructive feedback to maximize my chances! :)
As of right now your stats are lethal for med school, either DO or MD. If your grad degree is a research degree, it won't count for GPA purposes for mD but will for DO.

BUT, what are your year by year GPAs????? That's what will count.

And yes, retake the pre-reqs that are C- or worse.

Members don't see this ad :)
As of right now your stats are lethal for med school, either DO or MD. If your grad degree is a research degree, it won't count for GPA purposes for mD but will for DO.

BUT, what are your year by year GPAs????? That's what will count.

And yes, retake the pre-reqs that are C- or worse.

Last edited:
A single good year is not enough data points to convince Adcoms that you have reinvented yourself.

See my post on reinvention for premeds
Thank you for the feedback. I actually have read through it! Just wanted to confirm if I should be re-taking those 3 classes alone/show I can excel in that or pursue a DIY post-bacc and do more advanced courses in that?