1 year Peds fellowship

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

step2now

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello peeps,

I am applying for Nicu fellowship but I also want to keep a backup plan, just in case the unexpected happens
Are there any one year fellowships that one can do to help with matching into NICU fellowship.
Please advise.
Thank you

Members don't see this ad.

Can't think of anything offhand. More commonly people will try to get a one year neonatal hospitalist job while reapplying or something of that sort. Could try to find some short term research jobs, some might have a clinical component or even do an MPH.
Research jobs is something I was also looking into. Any suggestions where to look for it? All the research jobs I’m looking at is like 2 year commitment

Members don't see this ad :)
Sports medicine is 1 year at some institutions, some are 2 years though
Hospice/Palliative Care
Sleep Medicine
Toxicology is 2 years

Sports medicine is 1 year at some institutions, some are 2 years though
Hospice/Palliative Care
Sleep Medicine
Toxicology is 2 years
My only concern is how doing sports medicine will help me out with reapplying to NICU.
Palliative care makes little sense, I will definitely look into it.
I’m looking into research short-term options, like for a year, but I’m not able to find any period I do not know if I’m doing the site search correctly or not

Will be hard to find some of these types of jobs listed. Word of mouth via connections might be better. But, it's true that 1 year research jobs are hard to find at any level. It takes too long to train to be worth it. Most likely you'll match neo and this isn't going to be an issue, but I'd still say that a neonatal hospitalist job would be the best alternative.

Reactions: 2 users
Will be hard to find some of these types of jobs listed. Word of mouth via connections might be better. But, it's true that 1 year research jobs are hard to find at any level. It takes too long to train to be worth it. Most likely you'll match neo and this isn't going to be an issue, but I'd still say that a neonatal hospitalist job would be the best alternative.
Thank you so much period I really hope and pray I do match, but if you have seen my previous post, I have a red flag and that has kept me ready for a very long time. I am working hard but I just want to have a backup plan.

Agree with neonatal hospitalist job (or a chief year, if possible)

The only fellowship that seems to make sense is palliative, but unless you have a true interest I don’t think it’s worth doing that just for nicu fellowship applications

My only concern is how doing sports medicine will help me out with reapplying to NICU.
Palliative care makes little sense, I will definitely look into it.
I’m looking into research short-term options, like for a year, but I’m not able to find any period I do not know if I’m doing the site search correctly or not
sorry

didn't read the entirety of your post...stopped at looking for a backup

Research jobs is something I was also looking into. Any suggestions where to look for it? All the research jobs I’m looking at is like 2 year commitment
My advice would be don't do that. Spending 1-2 years of research 1) is a significant financial loss at your stage and 2) is unlikely to net you any significant work product 3) will cause you to have clinical skill atrophy.

NICU hospitalist is probably a better idea and find a faculty there who has a project you can jump on in your non-clinical time to get some research out of and who can write you a killer letter.

NICU hospitalist.

Seems like a no-brainer IMO. It pays well, it's great training for neo fellowship, you could do it for a relatively short period of time, and it's looked on quite favorably by fellowship programs.