1 year attending job?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MouseChair

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi
I am a rads resident about to rank and match for fellowship. Spouse is an FM PGY 2. Rank list right now is all over the country, mostly in big metros/big academic centers. We will likely return to the area we are currently in after my fellowship year (its her hometown). We aren't interested in doing distance for a year. She isn't really interested in a fellowship year either.

Would it be feasible for wife to have a 1 year attending job wherever I end up for fellowship? Or would practices not be interested in her if she is going to only be there for a year?

A lot of practices, especially those that are in health systems, advertise some sort of loan forgiveness (for example 200k over 4 years). Would she typically be still entitled to a prorated amount, like 50k for the 1 year of training?

Would appreciate any advice on how to approach her 1 year job hunt/offer negotiation

Members don't see this ad.

Hi
I am a rads resident about to rank and match for fellowship. Spouse is an FM PGY 2. Rank list right now is all over the country, mostly in big metros/big academic centers. We will likely return to the area we are currently in after my fellowship year (its her hometown). We aren't interested in doing distance for a year. She isn't really interested in a fellowship year either.

Would it be feasible for wife to have a 1 year attending job wherever I end up for fellowship? Or would practices not be interested in her if she is going to only be there for a year?

A lot of practices, especially those that are in health systems, advertise some sort of loan forgiveness (for example 200k over 4 years). Would she typically be still entitled to a prorated amount, like 50k for the 1 year of training?

Would appreciate any advice on how to approach her 1 year job hunt/offer negotiation

Generally, yes, a lot of places are going to mind A LOT if she plans on staying for just a year. Even if she doesn't come right out and say that that's her plan, once they ask why she's looking in that particular geographic location, most places will be able to read between the lines and figure it out.

No, loan forgiveness is generally not prorated. You have to understand that a 1 year attending is barely profitable, if at all. Most people do not become profitable (depending on their level of experience) for at least 6-18 months into a new job. She may actually end up owing money to the practice if she leaves so soon.

If she plans on being in a location for only 1 year, she should either plan on urgent care or locums.

Reactions: 3 users
Thanks for the quick response.
I am sure this kind of situation (one spouse finishing up training etc) doesn't happen infrequently. How do people typically approach this?

Members don't see this ad :)
I am sure this kind of situation (one spouse finishing up training etc) doesn't happen infrequently. How do people typically approach this?
It can sometimes take months even if she gets a job offer, for her to be licensed in a new state. The other hold-up is getting billing numbers for Medicaid and Medicare, which are tied to the practice location.

If you are quite sure your plan in one year is to return to hometown, it would make a lot more sense for her to start exploring jobs in that vicinity and start working, while you are doing your 1-year fellowship. She will have family to keep her company when she wants it.

Reactions: 3 users

In family medicine? Usually urgent care or locums. Or they suck it up and spend a year doing long distance.

I'm a little surprised that your spouse hasn't suggested the urgent care option. Does she not want to do urgent care? (full disclosure - I hate urgent care and wouldn't want to do it forever. 1 year would be doable, though.).

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
I think she’d be open to it, although she really loves FM clinic. I also worry about her first job out of residency being an urgent care gig (or even a locums job, although it seems like we might have to compromise somewhere).

Are there opportunities even for year long locums? Any idea of how this would be “perceived” for future job search?

I think she’d be open to it, although she really loves FM clinic. I also worry about her first job out of residency being an urgent care gig (or even a locums job, although it seems like we might have to compromise somewhere).

Are there opportunities even for year long locums? Any idea of how this would be “perceived” for future job search?

Year long locums jobs are out there but not super common. More likely it would be a string of locums assignments.

No one is going to think it's weird that her first job out of residency was urgent care or locums if she explains the situation (one year to kill in a random location while you do fellowship before moving back to her hometown).

That being said, if she really likes continuity clinic and if you guys are certain where you want to be long term, I would agree with wysdoc and just do long distance for a year. She will have money and time to go visit you if you end up somewhere pretty far away.

Reactions: 1 users
Its actually more common than you'd think. I was in this exact situation - I finished but wife had 1 more year to go.

However, we thought we were going to stay where we were and so I went into the interview with that mindset. It wasn't my fault that my wife didn't like the local hospitalist group and so we moved right after she graduated...

Reactions: 1 user

I did many locums jobs that were 6 months or longer. There are tons of locums jobs out there. May have to be apart that year to do it tho. But you can schduled your locums life how you want it. 3 weeks on/1 week off to fly back and forth, etc. to visit eachother. It goes by fast. It takes a few months to get credentialled anyway and get licensed. Agree that doing a 1 yr perm job is not a smart move.

Lots and lots of FM clinic locum jobs that need coverage for illness or maternity leave, etc. Just depends on where she is licensed. Of course you can work on any Indian Reservation with any state license.

My fellowship starts in July 2025 anyway. So we would have time to get licensed and credentialed for whichever job for her.

Last edited: