1, 2, 3 and 4 carbon molecules?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Bows

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone. I remember reading somewhere in my load of notes/books a list of short names for 1, 2, 3 and 4 carbon molecules. I know that form- is 1 carbon. I also remember seeing Acet (like acetone) and propion (like propionic acid) on the chart. I can't remember the 4th. I don't remember which corresponds to which but if anyone could please list them, I would appreciate it. I've tried googling but only found one link that said Acet- means 2 carbons, but acetone has 3 carbons..? Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Are you referring to methane (1 carbon), ethane (2 carbons), propane (3 carbons) and butane (4 carbons)? You can find out a good portion of a molecule with the prefixes meth-, eth-, prop- and but-.

I feel that with your "acet-" prefix example, you're trying to link a general prefix with a specific compound. Acetone is a specific 3-carbon molecule with a carbonyl group on carbon 2. Acetylene is a specific 2-carbon molecule with a triple bond. I'm sure you know this already.

Hope that answered your question.

Ah! I found it! It was from Collin's Organic Packet:

It seems it is only for Aldehydes, Carboxylic Acids and Carboxylic Acid Derivatives. For -ic acid, -ate, -amide and -nitriles.
# of C : Prefix
1 : Form -
2 : Acet-
3 : Propion-
4 : Butyr -