WMed vs Loyola vs Cincinnati

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PatchAdams25

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello,

Would love some advice between these 3 schools. I was pretty set on Cincinnati, but I have received a couple scholarships that have made it a little more difficult.

I have about ~100k saved up in my bank from selling a company I developed a couple years ago. Was planning on using this for tuition/living expenses. Still not sure how much I should take tuition into account between the schools.

WMed (Tuition (4 years) = ~105k)
Pros
I like the Step 1 after M3
New facilities
Good Hospital Systems associated with it

Cons
new school
I have heard some horror stories from current students who are essentially guinea pigs
no anatomy lab/dissection

Loyola (Tuition ~130k)
Pros
Love Chicago
I am a big fan of their mission statement and school environment
Strong residency programs associated with Stritch

Cons
Farther away from home
Can't think of too many more

Cincinnati (Tuition ~145k)
Pros
Strong hospital with Cinci Childrens
Step Score average was ~239 (told us on interview day)
Closest to family
Beautiful facilities
NIH Top 40 school, more research?

Cons
most expensive

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I would pick Cincinatti if I were you
Higher ranked, closer to family, nice facilities
Why not?
The expense isn't that bad

WMed additional con(s):

No anatomy lab/dissection

I've heard a rumor that 10% of their class every year has does not pass. The source was an anonymous poster on some forum claiming to go to the school, so I'd take it with a massive grain of salt, but maybe it's worth investigating.

And being new is a pretty big con when stacked up against your other schools.

Yeah I have heard a couple horror stories from students on this forum... Now I think part of it is because they are the first students to go through so they are essentially guinea pigs, but still.... I have heard the school has been incredibly receptive to their feedback though which is a plus

if you go to cinci, can you live with family? Also, have you looked at the CoL for each city?

Members don't see this ad :)
if you go to cinci, can you live with family? Also, have you looked at the CoL for each city?

I would not be living with family.... COL isn't much of a factor, all would be pretty similar. Loyola may be ~150/month higher, but not very significant

Is the $145K in-state tutition? Ohio allows you to establish in-state residency after 1 year, so M2-4 ends up being in-state for all students.

Cincinnati hands down. The cost differential is no big deal in the grand scheme of things. If it was greater than 100k then you might have a point.

Cincinnati hands down. The cost differential is no big deal in the grand scheme of things. If it was greater than 100k then you might have a point.

Thanks! That is what my gut is telling me, but I need some reassurance I am making the right decision haha :) I will graduate Cinci with <50k of loans, but the thought of potentially graduating from another school with virtually none is a tempting thought

50k in loans for a MD is NOTHING! Go to Cincinnati and enjoy it. I loved the interview day there.

50k in loans for a MD is NOTHING! Go to Cincinnati and enjoy it. I loved the interview day there.

Thanks for your reply... I had a wonderful time at my interview day too, it's a great school!! Guess I am just overthinking it at this point.

With the gang on this one, Cinci and it's not even close.

Something else you havent considered is Curriculum. Wmed is pretty hands on with 20+ hours of mandatory activities and Team based learning stuff. I am unsure what value you place on that but I would not completely ignore it.

Something else you havent considered is Curriculum. Wmed is pretty hands on with 20+ hours of mandatory activities and Team based learning stuff. I am unsure what value you place on that but I would not completely ignore it.

Great point.. that in itself would stear me away from WMed