Wayne State vs Howard

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sp45

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi,

I have been accepted into Wayne State, Howard, OUWB, and MSUCHM, but I have sort of narrowed it down to Wayne State (instate tuition) and Howard University.

I am trying to see what everyone thinks are the pros and cons of Wayne State and Howard.

Thanks for your help!

Members don't see this ad.

Come up with your own Pro and Cons list (since everyone's varies) and then we can give you some advice!

Reactions: 1 users
These are the pros and cons that I can think of rn

Wayne State
Pros:
-In state tuition
-Better Reputation
-A lot of research opportunities
-Closer to family

Cons:
- very large class size
-students seem to be super competitive with each other

Howard University
Pros:
-Love DC area
-HBCU experience; known for training excellent black doctors
-Opportunities for research in intuitions in DMV area (NIH, JHU, etc)
-Residency placements all over the U.S.

Cons:
-Not sure about reputation
-more expensive
-farther away from family

Members don't see this ad :)
What goals do you have ? What are you trying to accomplish?
My goal is to eventually serve underserved populations, and both wayne state and howard are located in such areas (Detroit and D.C area). Also, I am not sure of the average step 1 scores, but I am hoping to go to a school that will better prepare for doing well on the Step 1 and eventually place into a good residency program.

My goal is to eventually serve underserved populations, and both wayne state and howard are located in such areas (Detroit and D.C area). Also, I am not sure of the average step 1 scores, but I am hoping to go to a school that will better prepare for doing well on the Step 1 and eventually place into a good residency program.
Is there a specific type of doctor you want to be ?

Go to OU and don't look back

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile
Lol, I am interested in hearing why say that? Could you expand a little? I ruled out OU because it is not very established yet, wasn't very fond of the location, and it does not have in state tuition

With pleasure. If you look at Wayne State's current situation with Lucy rotation spot, degenerative faculty, location is OK in my opinion but you still have to drive down there and it's a hassle. They're still not off the hook with The accrediting body. I would recommend OUwb because yes it is slightly new and not as established but the faculty there are actually pretty receptive to their students they are with the Beaumont system which is basically the best hospital affiliation in the state of Michigan, they provide equipment and MacBooks for your use and keep. They take and nbme exams for every block. Location is eh but much easier to get around Detroit. Downside is the 50k tuition . They also do a lot of integrative things with their students and clinical faculty so it's not just straight bookwork and contrary to popular believe There is a ton of research opportunities with clinical faculty. In fact you had to do a research project to graduate so it even is built into the curriculum so when you graduate you are competitive.

Reactions: 1 user
Also if there's any misspellings I apologize I am dictating this from my iPhone I'm too lazy to type it all out